PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever gotten food poisoning?

Raildog
01-10-2002, 12:44 AM
I'm only writing this because Saturday night my wife and I went to Max and Ermas restaurant for dinner. I tried to eat something half-way healthy, which is hard to do when your pregnant wife eats whatever...anyway I ordered the steak and chicken fajitas. It looked well cooked, however 3 hours later I was lying on the bathroom floor.
It took me all night and the full Sunday to recover. I could barely drink any water and didn't eat anything for over 24 hrs. I'm 30 yrs old and hope I don't experience anything like that again. Ever since then I'm really hesitant, or, I just don't feel like eating any meat at all. Let me tell you, I've been avoiding it for a few days now. It really shocks you mentally, and well physically too.
Just wondering if and how anyone else dealt with this, and I do empathize with anyone who's suffered food poisoning before.

Raildog

ultraviolence
01-10-2002, 12:59 AM
First thing is first. If your wife was to get food poisoning it could effect the health of the unborn child. Thats why they don't recommend she eat processed meats and pre packaged foods. They usually have a higher risk of carrying harmful bacteria.

Secondly I've been told that it is usually not the last meal you ate that carried the bacteria. Not always the case, but often. Also you should only eat ice cubes and drink water when you have food poisoning. Again thats what I was told by a doctor. Man you get hungry after doing that for a day, but it give the bacteria little place to thrive I guess.

I usually get it once a year or so. Once I ate chicken and was unable to leave the house for a week. Even though the chicken was fresh, it still carried some heavy duty bacteria. Last year it was a doner kebab. The year before it was thawed steak that i didnt cook that day.
Oh and when I was a kid it was a cake. I threw up constantly for about a day. I'd fall asleep and dream that i was in a car that braked suddenly. Then when I woke up I would throw up. That was about every 10 or so minutes. I've never eaten that type of cake again. One other time when I was a kid, I never worked out what it was.

Damn I get food poisoning a lot!

- eddit ed 4 speeling misteaks..

Tryska
01-10-2002, 04:38 AM
keep in mind, food poisoning may not necessarily come from the meat....or the last meal you ate like ultraviolence said. if there were raw vegetables that were improperly processed....even the ice.

either way, i've neve rhad food poisoning (knock wood). but a few years back a good friend of mine did....i actually took off work to drive across town to bring him some peppermint tea. any case, he rallied back in about a week. and went to SHoney's with his mom and grandma....and uhhh...something happenned he had a relapse and puked right next to shoney's salad bar. eeew!

*lol*

rich
01-10-2002, 09:01 AM
me and a friend had a really strange food poisoning experience

we got some chips (as in British fries) from the chipshop, walked up the road eating them, and then we both suddenly sick at the same time on the road. we felt pretty much fine after that.

in your case it sounds like it could be cross contamination?

i've always been told that you will be sick within an HOUR of eating any undercooked/cross-contaminated food. if this is true it probably wasn't the meal you ate.

Manipul8r
01-10-2002, 10:49 AM
I had food poisoning, it was from CREAM CHEESE, took ame out for a day or two, for about a year after that i smelled everything i ate for until i was satisfied it wouldnt kill me.. its a BIATCH!! you'll get over it though. Dont let your diet go in the crapper b/c of this though, make sure your protein supplementing...

IceRgrrl
01-10-2002, 10:57 AM
I got food poisoning one Christmas vacation...came home from college, went out to eat with my parents, and got sick as a dog later than night....kinda had no appetite for a week after that.

Yuck.

therhoads
01-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Twice for me...

Once from a Chinese Restaurant in Birmingham Alabama (Business Trip). I should have become suspicious when rain started leaking in from the tin roof. Plus lots of cats and dogs around ;)

Once from a BBQ joint in Indianapolis.

It is an experience I hope never happens again!tuttut

Raildog
01-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Well that Saturday my wife and I ate the same things together, but at the restaurant Saturday night I had that one dish that was completely different, so we deduced it could only be that. I was worried for her that it could have been something else we ate together earlier, but she was perfectly fine, the baby's kicking like crazy, and we got 11 weeks to go!!

Raildog

ultraviolence
01-10-2002, 04:20 PM
:drooling: <--- I think this is the result of food poisoning.