PDA

View Full Version : Basic heavy and light

puny_ectomorph
01-26-2006, 08:14 AM
After several months on my current bulk routine, I'm going to switch things up and add a bit more of a powerlifting emphasis. Here's what I've come up with:

Twice a week, Monday and Thursday (I only go 2x a week due to a very limited recovery capability that I've discovered over the past eight months)

Monday: heavy bench and squat, 3-5 sets 5 reps, 85% of max; barbell rows and/or pulls for 2-3 x 8-12

Thursday: heavy deads, 3-5 x 5 at 85%, light bench and box squat, 2 x 12 at around 60% of max; assorted tinkering to work on weaknesses (don't know what my weaknesses are yet, so this will be a touch-and-go kind of deal)

Heavy deads will be worked every other week; on in-between weeks I'll work them at 60-65% to work on speed.

This is what I've come up with from a lot of reading and research; most of this routine is inspired by Paul Kelso. I'm not looking for a strict, exact-percentages-exact-reps-exact-sets type of routine, as I'm still learning after 8 months of basic training, and Westside-style stuff just confuses the hell out of me.

I would most definitely appreciate some tips, especially concerning progression. I'm not sure if I need to add weight every week, or increase percentages of 1 rm, or what. Thanks in advance.

-puny-

Paul Stagg
01-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Do you know why your recovery is so hampered?

On the heavy stuff, just add weight as you can, and deload when you feel beat up.

puny_ectomorph
01-26-2006, 08:34 AM
At first I thought it was because I wasn't eating enough, or getting enough rest. I scheduled myself carefully and now consistently put down 4-5,000 calories a day and get 9-10 hours of sleep a night.

After the first six months of training, 3x a week, I realized that by the 3rd workout on Fridays I was worn out and beat, and didn't feel like being in the gym. So, I cut it down to 2x a week, and as such I'm much more fresh and ready to go when I hit the gym on Mondays and Thursdays. I'm a classic hardgainer, my original weight being 140 pounds when I started.

Thanks for the advice!

-puny-

KevinStarke
01-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Do what you can man your routine looks pretty solid to me, I personally dont like to bench and squat or deadlift in the same day but if it works for you I dont see why not. Best thing to do is give the routine a shot for a few weeks and see how you like it. With bench though my advice is to not pick weight that will cause you to do forced reps pick weight you know you'll be able to hit 5 reps with.

Sensei
01-26-2006, 10:37 AM
What you have looks fine to me too. Personally, if I had time, I would add a third day for auxiliary work (abs, rotator cuff, weaknesses, etc.). I generally don't go above 3 reps w. DL, but that's just me.