PDA

View Full Version : Performed box squats for the first time today...

puny_ectomorph
01-26-2006, 05:05 PM
And I'm impressed. Actually, today was a bunch of firsts...I started on my first powerlifting-type cycle, and began using the power style of squatting for the first time.

The first thing I noticed about using the box was that I was in control of the movement. Previously, in my regular squats, I would simply drop into the hole and heave my way back out again, often coming up on my toes. With the wider stance, lower bar (still getting used to that), and the 'sit-back' motion, I felt in control on the way down. Granted, I was using a light weight-145 lbs-but I've never felt so tight and 'in the groove.'

I was worried at first that the moment I touched the box my spine would compress in on itself, but the 'sit-back' motion along with a good arch made it actually, well, comfortable. (Can you imagine that...squat and comfortable in the same sentence?) I sat for a moment, then flexed my way up, and felt my hamstrings and glutes engage, something I hadn't really felt with regular squats before.

Needless to say, I'm hooked. Monday I'll be trying box squats with heavy (for me) weight...let's hope that session goes just as well. My lower back is a tad sore, as are my hips, but it's not killing me like regular squats sometimes would.

-puny-

Adam
01-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Congrats, sounds like you have the form down excellant!
Be carefule of jumping really quick on weight with them though. I'd advise going up just like 30-50 lbs per session with them to get a better feel for how you will handle the weight.
With Box Squats you really feel the difference in increasing the weight.

SW
01-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Good man. Box squatting rules. Very smart decision to do them.

KevinStarke
01-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Box squats rule man keep at em.

tize
01-27-2006, 08:55 AM
also dont neglect your free squats, id rotate box and free squat

Sensei
01-30-2006, 02:41 PM
also dont neglect your free squats, id rotate box and free squat
I agree w. this. Make sure that you are still doing plenty of free squatting.

I'm a huge WS fan, but boxes and bands affected my squat form negatively when I was doing them regularly. I still do box squats occasionally, but I've pretty much given up bands entirely for squatting - the bands track you into a groove (kind of like a smith machine) and when the bands came off, so did the groove. I'll probably add them again someday, but it will only be for a change of pace.