PDA

View Full Version : Moving out soo, tips on eating cheaply

basix
01-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Hi,

I have to move out of home soon and am going to have to start buying my own food.

What are some tips on doing it cheaply

I think my diet will be same for breakfast/lunch most days made up of
milk, whey, fruit, oats, peanut butter, whole wheat bread, eggs

And Ill just eat lean meats like chicken breast once a day at night as they are a bit more expensive.

Theres no costco or Sam's in Australia like I've heard people reccomend here before, but any other tips from people who have to budget will be good.

thanks

brickt.
01-27-2006, 03:10 AM
For Aus, shop at BiLo or Action etc

Buy Black and Gold/Coles Brand/Woolworths brand

Oats = $2 for 1kg
Tuna = 90c a can
Whole Milk = $Fuxme
Eggs = $2 a carton from markets
PB = $4 a jar for nat, or spend $1 if you want Kraft
O.Oil = $5 for a bottle

Cheap, and yes, boring as hell.

HILL
01-27-2006, 04:19 AM
use the search button theirs loadsa threads plus bulk buying helps

Genacide
01-27-2006, 06:47 AM
When their is a sale buy a ton of something. Last time peanuts went on sale at Krogers I bought 8 containers.

theVict1m
01-27-2006, 03:20 PM
By oats do you mean just like a can of oats that you make oatmeal with? Like Quaker Oats, 100% natural...no flavor?

Spartacus
01-27-2006, 06:36 PM
get a little notebook. plan out some meals, and write down what you need, also use it to writ edown prices, so you know if something is inexpensive. price out different meal options, some things are much less costly. don't just buy blueberries becuase its what you've always had in you cereal, compare different options to see which is cheapest per serving. once you know, then you can stock up on it when it goes on sale. also be sure to check out local produce markets and asian/mexican/indian grocers.

also think about various cuts of meat, chicken breast is really pricy compared to otehr cuts thath only have a few more grams of fat. something like chicken thighs are like 80% less expensive. you have to cut the fat off, but still ends up being much less money.

basix
01-27-2006, 07:20 PM
^ by oats i mean oats

thanks for replies

theVict1m
01-28-2006, 08:28 AM
^ by oats i mean oats

thanks for replies

Yes, I know you mean oats. I looked in the store and all I could find were Quaker Oats in a can. That's why I'm asking if that's what everyone on here mean when they say they eat oats throughout the day.

OrientalNDN
01-28-2006, 09:14 PM
as for myself...
I try to mix, the brown rice, with just a bit of wild rice...cook it- and leave it in the fridge...
At the same time, I also brown some lean pork, and bison(buffalo) meat together..with some onions, and garlic. Once browned I also put it in the fridge, in a tupperware container.(after I have had a few tablespoonfuls!!)
and when I am ready to cook it up- i get some chicken broth...bring it to a boil, and add some (your preferance)1 c.rice, and 1c meat...then add in an eggwhite...wait another minuit to two until it boils again...then voila!
I add chili oil to mine. It's a great post workout food. And I dont feel hungry!
Then there is the tupperware containers of food in the fridge for quick meals, and less expensive then eating out.
As regular meat is expensive, i am sure you could vary the types-as i see you like the chicken;maybe turkey ground?
Bison, if i am correct, has a higher protien value for the weight, and alot less fat. therefor the pork mix, adds not only some fat-but flavour too.

Clifford Gillmore
01-28-2006, 09:19 PM
For Aus, shop at BiLo or Action etc

Buy Black and Gold/Coles Brand/Woolworths brand

Oats = $2 for 1kg
Tuna = 90c a can
Whole Milk = $Fuxme
Eggs = $2 a carton from markets
PB = $4 a jar for nat, or spend $1 if you want Kraft
O.Oil = $5 for a bottle

Cheap, and yes, boring as hell.

Hah I can top that.

Oats = Direct from Quaker's $5 for 20kg
Tuna = Straight of the ship 'Endevour', working for everyone has benefits, free
Whole Milk - Powdered, wholesale, 20kg for $10. Makes lots. AND LOTS.
Eggs - Get some chickens.
PB - Direct from sanitarium, carton of 24, $30
Olive Oil - 2L of Jingilli for $17.

I hate being broke.

cphafner
01-28-2006, 09:33 PM
if you have access to multiple supermarkets, check the flyers weekly and see which has better deals. I'll generally go to two different markets and get the different items I need depending on who has that particular item on sale.

brickt.
01-28-2006, 09:57 PM
BAHAHA Riskeh, you cheap ****!

We should become roomies, our food bill for the week would be in the single digits, lol.

Clifford Gillmore
01-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Haha, no kidding. Plus I'd bring home meat for free. I went shopping with some mates of mine, for three people they racked up $150+, not including meat - AND they're not bodybuilders of anysort, shopping trolley full of potatoe gems and coke. Yuch.

Fenrir
01-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah build a chicken pen, buy some chickens, feed them the grain and your scraps, get lots and lots of eggs, get a rooster...have babies and then eat them!

Look you just found an easy solution to eggs, meat and your scraps! :thumbup:

Fenrir
01-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Ha ha lol i don't mean eat the babies either! I mean eat the hens, unless you have a whole farm you can't eat them every night :moon: ;)

dissipate
01-29-2006, 01:01 AM
awesome thread since i'll be moving there soon!

theVict1m
01-29-2006, 09:29 AM
So Quaker Oats are ok for a bulk?

brickt.
01-29-2006, 03:59 PM
So Quaker Oats are ok for a bulk?

Jesus Christ. ROLLED OATS, regardless of the brand, are THE best carb to eat, bulking, cutting, whatever. EAT YOUR OATS.

READ THIS
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565
THEN READ IT AGAIN.

theVict1m
01-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Jesus Christ. ROLLED OATS, regardless of the brand, are THE best carb to eat, bulking, cutting, whatever. EAT YOUR OATS.

READ THIS
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565
THEN READ IT AGAIN.

Why the attitude? I was just asking a simple question. I must live in like another dimension than everyone else here because no one I know has ever heard of "rolled" oats. Just the little flat ones from Quaker Oats used for instant oatmeal.

brickt.
01-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Because your question is so blantantly ignorant, and need not have been asked if you had used the "SEARCH" fuction. Or, actually read the posts in the thread, specifically by myself, Risk, HILL.. ****, EVERYONE OF THEM.

theVict1m
01-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Haha, I love how you edited your post several times since I read it the first time. My question was "blantantly stupid" or something the first time along with other insults directed towards me edited out. Internet hot heads crack me up.

This is all I was saying. I've never heard of rolled oats. People I've asked have never heard of rolled oats. I've looked in supermarkets in my area...even Walmart. Just Quaker Oats that you make instant oatmeal with...which obviously aren't rolled. They're about the size of a pea and flat. That's why I was asking. That's all. Calm down. Again, I'm sure you'll tell me to read the "what a bodybuilder eats" post or use the "search" function...which I have several times....and then I'm back to square one. I know it says oats and rolled oats.

Ignorant? I'll be the first person to tell you that. Yes, I'm completely ignorant about nutrition. Most (not all) teenagers are, you know? However, believe it or not, I've learned a lot on these nutrition forums. More and more each day. But I guess to be old and wise you first have to be young and stupid.

Seriously dude, just forget it. I'll ask my cousin from out of town if he could get me some. Problem solved. Peace.

Spartacus
01-30-2006, 05:38 PM
um why do you think they are flat, brah?

brickt.
01-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Haha, I love how you edited your post several times since I read it the first time. My question was "blantantly stupid" or something the first time along with other insults directed towards me edited out. Internet hot heads crack me up.

This is all I was saying. I've never heard of rolled oats. People I've asked have never heard of rolled oats. I've looked in supermarkets in my area...even Walmart. Just Quaker Oats that you make instant oatmeal with...which obviously aren't rolled. They're about the size of a pea and flat. That's why I was asking. That's all. Calm down. Again, I'm sure you'll tell me to read the "what a bodybuilder eats" post or use the "search" function...which I have several times....and then I'm back to square one. I know it says oats and rolled oats.

Ignorant? I'll be the first person to tell you that. Yes, I'm completely ignorant about nutrition. Most (not all) teenagers are, you know? However, believe it or not, I've learned a lot on these nutrition forums. More and more each day. But I guess to be old and wise you first have to be young and stupid.

Seriously dude, just forget it. I'll ask my cousin from out of town if he could get me some. Problem solved. Peace.

Yes, I did edit my post, as the first one was a bit aggresive. I admit. Apologies.

Natural Rolled Oats (not instant, not flavoured) are awesome, in any circumstance. When we refer to 'oats' 99.99% of the time we mean rolled oats.

I don't have Quaker in Aus, but I know Quaker makes rolled oats, just check the labeling.

theVict1m
01-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Ok. Thanks for the info.

My apologies too.

Clifford Gillmore
01-31-2006, 04:08 AM
I don't have Quaker in Aus,

Want me to take a photo of the factory on my way to work tomorrow?

basix
01-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Vicitm they are flat because the grain is rolled,

as long as it says oats its the same product, as far as I know quick oats are simply cut into smaller pieces. But they are all ROLLED oats.

And oatmeal is the same thing just ground into tiny pieces, and is more expensive.

Just look at the ingredients to find out, avoid any with added flavour or sugars.

basix
01-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Oh and risk where do you order quaker oats from and straight from sanitarium? Can you order online?

-TIM-
01-31-2006, 08:46 AM
Hah I can top that.

Oats = Direct from Quaker's $5 for 20kg
Tuna = Straight of the ship 'Endevour', working for everyone has benefits, free
Whole Milk - Powdered, wholesale, 20kg for $10. Makes lots. AND LOTS.
Eggs - Get some chickens.
PB - Direct from sanitarium, carton of 24, $30
Olive Oil - 2L of Jingilli for $17.

I hate being broke.Funny stuff Risk.

brickt.
01-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Funny stuff Risk.

Haha, Tim, Riskeh lives in Western Australia. AKA - Middle of Nowhere. He probably ain't kidding! :D:D jk Riskeh, I used to live in Perth, fkn awesome city.