PDA

View Full Version : Diary of an ultimate dieter (UD 2.0)

Mad Max
01-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Starting stats (last Sunday):

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 205 lbs

BF: 13%

Lifts:

BP: 250 X 1
Squat: 275 x 6
Dead:360 X 4

Started the Ultimate Diet 2.0 last monday, and thought I'd keep a lazy, half assed journal about it.

Standard Low Carb diet for Mon, Tues, Wed and first half of Thurs:

Protein: 200g
Carbs: 75g
Fat: 55g

Total Cals: 1600

Carb Load from Thursday evening to Friday nightime with 1500g of carbs, mostly from bagels, pasta, skimmed milk and pineapple juice. Also Creatine load during my carb load.

Protein and fat intake is the same throughout the week.

Saturday Carbs: 400g

Sunday carbs: 200g

Supplements: Multi-vitamin, fish oil, creatine, whey and zinc.

galileo
01-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Pineapple juice? That's a bit of fructose.

KevinStarke
01-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Sounding strong and lean man.

Mad Max
01-27-2006, 08:37 AM
I found the low carb phase to be pretty easy. I'd get very hungry towards the evening, but I'd easily distract myself. I'd also feel a little bit low, but nothing too dramatic. In fact for 1.5 hours after each meal I would feel quite full.
I worry whether I'm eating too much, but my calculations seemed pretty sound.
I don't think I pushed myself enough during the glycogen depletion sessions also. Next week I'm definately gonna throw in some cardio.

The thursday training session was weird also. I had 60g of carbs and 20g of protein in the form of a bagel and a pint of skimmed milk 45 mins before the workout. I had a can of red bull just before the workout. For some reason I felt vey strong and energised throught the workout.
Did bench press, inc db press, pull ups, cable rows for three sets each. then did six sets of leg press followed by three sets of arnies, and felt fine by the end. I'd stop one or two reps short of failure. I was pressing 570lbs on the leg press for up to 12 reps with a good ROM, which was surprising. Normally I'd do these after squats, so maybe that's why I found them so easy.
I've felt very good since I started the carb load. I'm not sure whethere it's because I know I can eat loads and not have to worry, or because the carbs are raising my serotonin levels, probably a bit of both.
Am very much looking forward to the power workout tomorrow, I feel very strong at the moment.

Mad Max
01-27-2006, 08:42 AM
XIAN: I had a litre after my workout with some creatine. Lyle says it's best to use high GI stuff at the beginning of your carb load. I'm not gonna drink much more.

Kevin: Cheers man.

galileo
01-27-2006, 08:53 AM
It's definitely higher in GI, but most of it is going to hit your liver. Just try to limit your overall fructose intake to between 50-75g for the duration of the refeed.

Pup
01-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Listen to Xian...he's done many UD 2.0 cycles...good luck on the cut, UD 2.0 is very taxing mentally.

Mad Max
01-27-2006, 11:33 AM
What should I take my creatine with then?

kad
01-27-2006, 11:38 AM
I'd suggest dextrose. You can find it pretty cheap online.

Silverback
01-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Looks good Lyles UD2.0 is effective if you apply it properly. Im sure you'll get plenty of help by having the journal :)

What are yours goals max, dont think you state any?

Mad Max
01-28-2006, 08:02 AM
My goals?
My goal is to get down to about 7% bf. I also have some no specific goals for my lifts, basicaly I want them all to go up by at least 10lb, but I'm not sure whethere that is realistic or even aiming low.
Also about creatine, do I even need to take it with a high GI liquid? Since my insulin levels will be up all day anyway, can't I just take it with water?
My power lift routine is in a short while, I'm looking forward to it.

Mad Max
01-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Just finished my power routine. It was pretty good actually. I was feeling quite demotivated beforehand, and upon entering the gym the first thing I saw was a guy working out in a flat cap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap) and a leotard, which just made me upset.

Max lifts are in italics

Flat Bench: 135 x 5
200 x 2
230 x 3
235 x 3 (could have gone for 4)
230 x 4

Pull ups: BW x 6
BW+22lb x 5
BW+35lb x 5
BW+45lb x 5

One armed DB row: 90lb x 6
90lb x 6 (too easy, my gym's DB don't go any higher, might have to learn proper BB row tecnhique :(

DB Shoulder press (each hand): 65lb x 4
80lb x 3 (quite pleased with this)
65lb x 4

Squats: 135lb x 5
225lb x 5
250lb x 5
275lb x 5

At this point the gym closes, which was unexpected as I usually train earler and had forgotten closing times, so I didn't get to complete my squat routine.

Next week I will do squats after bench.

I'm mostly pleased with these lifts, especially since I haven't been lifting heavy for the past 6 weeks.

Silverback
01-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Nice lifting Max,

Well impressed with the pressing on the dumbbells, the chins with 45lbs strapped is quality, how long has it taken you to build up to that? At 6'4 i would of imagined chins would be hard work!

whereabouts in London you from?

Mad Max
01-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Big-Andy: Cheers man. I'm from Chingford, North East. Although I'm at uni' at the moment just outside Colchester. Where are you from?
Chins are ok I guess. I haven't done weighted ones in ages. I've been chinning in one form or another since I was fifteen (6 years), this has been totally inconsistent of course, but it's an exercise I'm very familiar with. Although since I started proper training (actually I'd say I've only been proper training for the last 6 days), I've never pushed myself that much with pull ups.
I am pleased with my db press progression, since shoulders have always been a bit of a weak point.
I reckon I will make good progress on squats in the near future, those 275s left my feeling like I could push more. My bacne has flaired up again though, I've ruined a few t-shirts with blood stains in the past.

Mad Max
01-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Breakfast:

1 Pitta bread
100g Cottage cheese
4 scoops whey in water (Lyle advises against liquid foods on low cal days, but I'm ok with them, and they are convenient)
3g Fish oil
Multi Vitamin

400 cals total

Just finished Monday's glycogen depletion session.
I felt nauseuos all the way through this:

Standing MP(First time I've done these ever!!): 90lb x 16
115lb x 13
90lb x 14
(All done in about 4 minutes, already feeling nauseuos)

45 degree incline smith machine press: 135lb x 14 x 3 sets

Neutral grip pull ups: BW x 15
BW x 12
BW x 12

DB row: 65lb x 14 x 1 set

BB row: 115lb x 15

Seated row 135lb x 15 x 3

Machine crunches 2 sets

Chin ups: BW x 12

Cable row: 135lb x 14

Bench Press: 135 lb x 20
155lb x 12
135lb x 12

Called it a day at this point.
Had a very nice pump and great in the mirror. This routine looks all over the place because it is. I reckon it's ok to mess around with different exercise during a depletion session it keeps things interesting. I loved the MP, and they will now find a permanent place in my thursday workout. Not sure whether this is quite enough for a depletion session though, what do you guys think?

Mad Max
02-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Hmmm, I knew I was going to be inconsistent with this journal.
Well the diet is going ok. I'm definately leaner. Noticeable striation in shoulders and I can see a division between lower and upper chest (I know thee is no lower/upper, but it certainly looks like there is), lower abs are still a bit shy though.

The power workout on Saturday was ok, I made some small improvements on the previous week which is fantastic considering I'm cutting.
I had great trouble with the carb load though, couldn't seem to get all the carbs in, I missed my target by about 25%. Next week I'll try eating lots of cereal.

I went up ten pounds on my squat, I can now do 285 lbs for 5 reps (parallel), if not more.

Bench is looking good as well. I cranked out 6 reps on 225lb pretty quickly, could have gone for 7, but needed to conserve my strength.

Did standing heavy MP for the first time ever, 135lb for 6 reps, which is ok I suppose, but my form needs work.

No noticeable progress on back.

After two weeks I'd say I'm finding the low cal phase easier to manage than the high cal phase.

Silverback
02-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Looks good max, im from the West Coast, up near manchester :)

Bench, squat and military are all looking strong, just keep hitting them hard :)

Whats the quote about in your sig, holiday styles? aint that Styles P (Ruff ryders?)

Mad Max
02-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I have no idea what the quote is about, it's from a WBB member referring to 50 cent. I just thought it was funny because it made absolutely no sense.

Today was interesting. Went to visit my granny in the morning before lectures. Being my grandmother she insisted on throwing the entire contents of her fridge at me. I was going to explain the UD to her, as well as how important it was that I reach 7% bf, but I thought I'd just screw the diet for a few hours.
Feel starving now.

Had an ok workout today:

Leg press Knees to chest: 350lbs x 15 x 4 sets with one minutes rest, this was a real killer.

Standing Mp: 100lb x 13 x 3

Neutral grip pull ups: BW x 14 x 4

Should have done more but the rest periods were short and I was feeling strong nausea.

I've really cut down on food costs. Only eay frozen veg and turkey meat for dinner, I'm already sick of it.

Mad Max
02-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Just had an ok workout.

I thought I'd try and do 100 reps for 160lbs in under ten minutes, I got to 50 after 4 minutes and I was wasted.

Mad Max
02-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Just had a pretty mediocre power workout.
The only noteworthy lifts were:

Bench: 225lbs for 8 (could have gone for 9) 2.5 rep improvement on last week.
Arnies: 67lbs for 5 reps each hand (good considering this is what I was shoulder pressing a month ago)

I'm hating the carn load at the moment. Firstly I simply can't get all the carbs in I've tried cereal, milk, bagels, pasta, pitta bread, but it still seems impossible. I feel like I'm on acid for half the day, with my fluctuating hormones. Secondly, I think I do gain fat on this day, I can't think what I'm doing wrong. It could be that I tend to cram a lot of the carbs in towards the evening, rather than spacing them out throughout the day. Spacing them out would certainly help get all the carbs in, but it's not very convenient. But do you guys think that cramming in the cals towards the evening cpuld lead to fat gain?

TheGimp
02-11-2006, 11:20 AM
You might want to pick up some dextrose tablets. I buy mine from Sainsburys, you can find them with the vitamins. It's basically like eating sweets, and I find them great for spiking blood sugar and stimulating hunger.

Some other things I've tried for the carb loads are: japanese rice crackers, various types of flat breads (e.g. Ryvita), flavoured rice mixes, in addition to the things you've mentioned.

If you've done the depletion and low carb days properly, you're limiting your fructose (and sucrose) and fat intake, then I find it unlikely you're putting on fat. I know I tend to get extremely bloated as a result of all of that food and creatine loading. Come Saturday/Sunday morning I'm back to my lean self and get progressively more cut as water is lost as the week progresses.

Hope this helps, check out my journal for more details on my current UD2.0 cycle.

Silverback
02-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Not sure about it leading to fat gain, but im pretty sure its not a good idea for glycogen loading. Theres going to be alot of waste.

If i do a proper carb load (time spaced) then the next day im fine, if i cram it in, the next day i feel like **** and am visiting the toilet ever hour!

Mad Max
02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Well I've just had another look at the book, and realised I was probably aiming too high anyway. If I go for the lower end of the recommended carb intake, then that puts me on 12g per kg of lean bodymass, which workouts out to about 950g in total, which isn't too much at all. Someohow I'd got this figure of 1500g into my head, which would mean I'd need to have 10 meals of 100g of carbs on the Friday, which was just too much.
How much carbs per kg of lean bodymass do you guys shoot for?

TheGimp
02-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Not sure in terms of per kg of LBM, but as you've noticed in my journal I hit around 1400g of carbs over the two days. This is (a lot?) higher than the recommendations in the book given my weight of ~ 137 lbs. I've reached this value by slowing increasing the amount I eat, experimenting with how much I can get away with and the effect it has on my power workout performance. Even eating this many carbs I don't have much bloating and I don't think it's spilling over into fat, plus I feel nice and strong for the power workout.

Mad Max
02-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Gimp: Cheers for the info. I suppose I'll stick to what seems to be working best for me. I don't like using the mirror as an estimate for bf, but it's all I've got, so I can't really get a good idea of how the carb load is affecting my weight. I'll shoot for 1000g over this carb load, and see how I feel.

Yesterday I started Brazilian jiu jitsu. I really enjoyed it, and found that my strength and height put me at a real advantage over the other begginers. Didn't find it too exhauting either. I decided to add a pint of skimmed milk to my diet for the day, to make up for the burnt calories in BJJ. I'd estimate that I burnt 400 cals over the two hour period, so 250cals for the milk still left me with a decent deficit considering I'm on 50% maintenance anyway.

Today my workout was exhausting.

Squats (225lbs): 3 x 8, parallel. I found this really difficult, I suppose I was just coming out of the low carb phase.

After that I did a few more mediocre lifts, my body just wasn't in the mood.
Definately lost the weight that I appeared to gain last weekend, and then some.
I generous estimate would put me at 9% bf, especially in the upper torso. Either way I've gone done at least 3% in bf, and haven't lost any muscle, infact I may even have gained a small amount.

Mad Max
02-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Yesterday's workout was nice.

Bench:

115lb x 8
225lb x 3
250lb x 2
275lb x failed, but I was so close. My spotter gave a nudge with his index fingers and I got it up, so I should be able to get it next week, especially considering I didn't creatine load this week.
225lb x 6
2235lb x 3

Chins (palms facing face)

Bw x 5 (BW=190lb)
BW(+25lb) x 5
BW(+45lb) x 5
BW(+60lb) x 3
BW(+90lb) x 1 (not sure quite how legit this was, my chin was over the bar, but the ROM wasn't as full as it could have been)

DB shoulder press
(each hand)

45lb x 10
65lb x 6
70lb x 6
80lb x 5 (PR)

Didn't do legs as my legs were still very sore from Thursday for some reason.

Diet was pretty crap that day:

10am:Two bagels with cottage cheese

12pm:Pint of skimmed milk

2pm:Pint of skimmed milk

7pm:Vegetable and beef stir fry with noodles

After work (in a bar) 2.30am: Footlong chicken sub

3.30am:Pint of skimmed milk

Didn't calorie count today, just made sure fat was under 60g and carbs were under 400g, and protein was at about 200g.

Fat loss isn't spectacular still, but I'm making great strength gains so I'll stick with the diet for at least another three weeks. After that I may switch to a more conventional diet.

Mad Max
02-24-2006, 08:41 AM
I should really be more consistent with this journal.

For the past two weeks my diet on low carb days has consisted of the following:

Breakfast:

2 slices wholmeal bread and 100g cottage cheese

Lunch:

4 oven cooked thai flavoured chicken fillets (cheap frozen crap, but it's low in fat and carbs)

Dinner:

400g chicken/turkey/beef steak, with 300g mixed veg, and some sort of low cal sauce or garnish.

Carbloading as of yesterday evening, I think I've found a balance with bagels and pitta bread, boring but convenient. These make up 80% of my carbs, with the rest coming from dextrose, pasta/rice and other stuff.

Yesterday's workout:

Had a pretty bad cold so I had trouble pushing myself with thte squats:

Most of the squats were below parallel, which I am very pleased with. I've finally got the hang of a good bar placement, and a good wide stance.

135lb x 5
225lb x 6
225lb x 8 (killer)
225lb x 5
225lb x 5

Definitely could have pushed myself more on the last two sets, but I was sneezing all over the place, and had a headache. Going below parallel is a great deal harder than just parallel. Squats are always hard when you've just come out of a low carb phase.

Ab crunches on the machine (need to start working abs I think):

100lb x 10 x 3 sets

DB rows:

90lb x 10 x 3

Arnies:

55lb x 7
55lb x 7
55lb x 6 (definitely weaker than last saturday, I was carb loaded then of course)

Pull ups:

1 set of ten

Close grip bench:

145lb x 10 x 3

Supersetted with seated dumbell zottman curls otr whatever you call them:

2 sets of 50lb x 8

Didn't bother with direct chest work.

Waist looks very slim, measured on Thursday morning it was 28.5 inches, which I am pleased with, although I still don't have spectacular ab definition.

Mad Max
02-27-2006, 04:25 AM
The carb load was the best yet on Friday, so come Saturday I should have been my stongest ever but I still had a bloody cold. Anyway the power workout was ok.

Bench:

135 x 4
235 x 4
235 x 5
235 x 5
270 x (almost there, felt strong so I went for it, next week definitely)
225lb x 4

Squat:

Ok mys quat form has improved dramtically since the beggining. I feel like I am actually doing squats as opposed to good mornings. For this workout I was going parallel, but with much better form. However I am still disappointed with my progress on squats overall on UD 2.0. I know I need to work harder on my legs, gonna hit 'em hard after I finish the diet.

135lb x 5
225lb x 5
270 x 6
270 x 6
270 x 6
225 x (below parallel) x 5

The rest of the workout isn't even worth mentioning.

Had pizza on Sunday.

Stumprrp
02-27-2006, 04:43 AM
looking great in here, i know man squats below are so much harder its insane.

noice benching

Mad Max
02-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Cheers mate. I'm starting to love squats though. Today for example during my carb depletion I was doing cable rows, and it just felt so utterly pointless compared to squats, boring infact. Heavy squats can be called many things, but never boring.

Well I'm in the sixth week of this. Lyle recomends doing it for no more than eight weeks. I must say that I'm fairly disappointed with the fat loss. I'm down to about 9-10% bf, which is about normal for me, my goal had been 7%. I'm pleased with how slim my waist has got 28.25 inches, which is great considering I'm 6'4". I'm also very pleased with the strength gains I've made. But I think the strength gains have mostly been due to the completer overhaul of my training, and eating loads of carbs the day before my power workout.

But the fat loss is definitely disappointing. Six weeks on what I consider to be a demanding diet in every respect, and only 3-4% drop in bf. The low carb days are just miserable, then come friday when I do get to eat, the ridiculously high carbs just make me tired and spaced out.

No doubt this is a fantastic diet for some, but it may not be for me. I'm ectomorphic and I love my carbs, I've been brought up on them, never been a huger meat eater. I'm having a lb of steak tonight and I'd happily trade it for half a lb of rice.

So as of next week I may continue to cut with a different diet, preferably one that allows me my carbs, 200g a day. I was thinking of an isocaloric diet. I've heard that low carb is the best way to get down to very low bf, but I can't think why on a calorie deficit you wouldn't eventually reach 7%. I also intend to up my cardio.

What do you guys think?

Mad Max
03-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Ok I've officialyy ended the diet now, 6 weeks is about enough. The last few days were a bit of a joke diet wise.
Wednesday evening I came out of BJJ, I'd eaten about 1000 cals already that day. Went to the campus bar and had a pint of Stella Artois......I was drunk....that's what gylcogen depletion and a 2000 cal deficit can do to you. So I went to the fast food shop and got a pizza and two cheesy bad boys, before going back and continuing with the Stella. That pizza was just about the best thing I've ever eaten.

Since then I've been eating a mixture of milk, chocolate cake, Stella and chicken, and you know what, I've still lost a little weight.

Just finished my final power workout, it was ok, I still missed benching 275lb but by the tinniest of margins.
All in all I'm pleased with the strength gains and the fat loss. I'm at about 9% now, a healthy place to be. The diet was taxing, and I hated the low arb days. I felt absolutely spectacular last thursday, simply because I allowed myself to indulge in food other than bagels.

So in summary, this is a very good diet, but also very taxing, especially in the final weeks.

I'm gonna switch to a more common sense maintenance diet now, and allow the martial arts cardio I do several times a week to keep me lean.

Silverback
03-05-2006, 02:02 AM
I hate you! 28" waist!! My waist hasn't been that small since i came out of my mothers womb.

A 3-4% drop in 6wks is superb progress fella, you've worked hard. Dont be so hard on yourself. Lifting strength is looking good, the squats are starting to come together :)

Mad Max
03-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks mate.
Yes this diet has been good overall, and I think I am pleased with the fat loss. The 28" waist is in the morning on an empty stomach. I think when I start doing deads again it will go up by an inch or so, but I am pleased to be gifted with such a small waist. I just wish my chest/shoulders were bigger.