PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers

baja_stx
01-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Hey guys. Haven't posted here in nearly 2 years and in those 2 years I've not been very disciplined with my diet and excersize. Just about 2 years ago I bought my first house and it was a real fixer-upper and I got married so I was quite busy, but I'm ready to get back into the swing of things.

My question is. What do you guys think about the "Weight Watchers" diet? I joined it this Monday, but only because my work pays for it and the Weight Watchers people come to our office, so we don't have to go anywhere. But so far this week I've been following their point rules (derived from total calories, total fat, and dietary fiber) and I have been HUNGRY ALL THE TIME.

In my opinion Weight Watchers just doesn't allow enough FOOD. I'm 26 years old, have an above average metabolism, and the last time I tried to loose some fat I lost 15 pounds of fat and gained good amount of muscle by only cutting out fast food, pepsi, and worked out for 1 hour and did 30 minutes of cardio every other day.

One thing I noticed about Weight Watchers is that they try to make things very simple. And something I didn't like was that a slice of white bread is worth 1 point and a piece of wheat without enriched flour is still 1 point. Eating a can of tuna right out of the can is 4 points. For my size I'm allowed 26 points a day, but a turkey sandwich on wheat with no dressing and a can of tuna would be 8 points. Do that 3 times a day and I'm pretty much done. I need more food than that.

Opinions?

Paul Stagg
01-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Weight Watchers is excellent for the average person who needs a simple way to control their food intake.

Are you an average person?

eatit
01-27-2006, 10:20 AM
ehhhh, just follow the basic guidelines of nutrition. It seems like weight loss comes easy for you (just cutting out the junk) so why not just do that again?

No need to buy into some program. Especially if they've dumbed things down so much as to equate a slice of white bread to whole wheat.

Jorge Sanchez
01-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Maybe a slice of white bread has the same rating as a slice of whole wheat bread because, in terms of number of calories, they are virtually identical.

Built
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
On another board I belong to, one of the members and I had a discussion of WW vs. my cutter, and a comparison of the two approaches. Note that the suggested WW diet is actually higher in calories than I would probably be allowed, and does account for my activity level.

I really don't like the WW approach - rather than having you manipulate the actual macronutrients involved, they've created a made-up "points" system, and I think it's misleading and puts too much emphasis on portion control and ratios, which really are COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS. There is NO reason to eat low carb, or low fat, or to limit the ratio of protein to fat. None. It just comes down to your comfort levels. I can't control my appetite on lower fat, so I don't do it. Some are fine, so they do. Totally up to the individual.

Just because I was curious, I added up how many "points" your food was from yesterday and you ate 45 points. WOW that surprised me cause everything you ate was so healthy. I mean even the chocolate was low cal.

What does 45 points mean? Is this "good" or "bad"?

Well, just going off of WW this would be bad.

At your body weight your points per day should be 20 points. and then you would get additional points for exercise (probably 3-4 points).

That's why I was saying WOW cause its so many points, but all healthy points, and it’s below what your maintenance cals should be according to you.

It was really an eye opener for me regarding what you've been saying about the cals/protein. And why I'm going to continue to post on Fitday.

Hmmm. My feeling about WW was that the cals were WAY too low. This confirms my suspicions.

Interesting.

According to WW, could you design a diet for me? I'd be interested to compare it. I'll even post it up so people can do their own assessment of it.

You got it. … It'll be fun to see how much you wouldn't be able to eat.

Considering I'm losing weight on my current paradigm, yes, it will be FASCINATING.

I'm very much looking forward to it.

Please work it out in "points" and in "grams of protein, carbs, fat, and calories". We need to see how it compares.

OK finally finished:

The menu is:

BF: 3-4" strawberry pancakes w/1/2c sugar free syrup
SN: 1c cherries
LU: southwest vegetable Caesar salad
DI: chicken breast w/Alfredo vegetable sauce
SN: 15 baby carrots, 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese

27 points. This would be for someone who is allowed 24 points and earns 3 activity points a day.

This is what Fitday says it is:

Total: 1301
Fat: 24 216 16%
..Sat: 4 40 3%
..Poly: 6 53 4%
..Mono: 3 24 2%
Carbs: 189 678 51%
..Fiber: 19 0 0%
Protein: 110 439 33%

That is AWESOME. Holy CRAP the fats are insanely low. And the calories!

How did you make the determination of 24 points, by the way?

The points are based on how much a person weighs.

With your weight (below 150) you’re allowed 20 points.

(151-174 gets 22 points, between 175-200 gets 24 points)

For the purpose of comparison, my average macronutrients over one month of my cutter have worked out as follows:

Built’s cutter: Average for May 2005
Total: 1979 (45 WW points)
Fat: 84 758 39%
..Sat: 23 208 11%
..Poly: 14 130 7%
..Mono: 30 273 14%
Carbs: 122 405 21%
..Fiber: 20 0 0%
Protein: 190 761 40%

Suggested Weight Watcher’s diet (20 points for my weight, 3 for my activity, and another 4 because my friend was being kind…)

WW DIET
Total: 1301 (27 WW points)
Fat: 24 216 16%
..Sat: 4 40 3%
..Poly: 6 53 4%
..Mono: 3 24 2%
Carbs: 189 678 51%
..Fiber: 19 0 0%
Protein: 110 439 33%

Note that the fiber on MY diet was actually higher than it would be on WW, my protein is almost double, my calories are 52% higher, my fats are more than triple the WW fats, and even with all these extra calories, my carbs are only about 2/3 of those afforded me on the 1301 WW calories.

I would be CHEWING MY ARM OFF on the WW program. And losing muscle hand over fist.

baja_stx
01-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to put together a diet of my own. I did learn some from the WW diet, but I don't think it's for me.

I was looking over Built's diet and think I'll take a lot from it, some good points from the WW diet, and a few others I've read about and mix up something tailored for my body.

Thanks again guys... and girls.

tigo
01-27-2006, 09:38 PM
yay another one to leave the dark side :clap: :clap: :clap:

btw built that comparison is very informative... thanks!

MJC097
01-27-2006, 11:02 PM
I remember I was watching some girl I worked with who was on it and they pretty much had her eat a slice of bread and like two slices of lunchmeat and maybe a salad as a meal. Judging by that alone, I dont think they give you enough food to eat through the day. I would much rather count calories and macros so you can custimize your diet

brickt.
01-27-2006, 11:37 PM
BBBBBBBBBBWAHAHAHA ****! 1300calories of nothing. I'd rather PSMF myself to ripped.

Jesus, no wonder WW 'works.' 1300 calories is like 1.5 meals, lol.

Built
01-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I know - isn't it nuts?

I was seriously shocked.

brickt.
01-28-2006, 12:24 AM
If you look at the WW products, they are very low in fat (bad in my books) and insanely high in sugar/carbs (bad in my books.)

Built
01-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Except for the group support, I fail to see the appeal.

Especially since we have the internet, and infinitely better ways to diet.

Don't get it don't get it don't get it ...