PDA

View Full Version : Noobie saying hi, and can you evaluate my diet?

bigleaguechu
01-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone, I was recommended to come here by a few friends. A little insight Im not big contrary to my name. Im about 5'11" 193 pounds medium to big boned side. Im about 15-17% BF I think. I was 205 2 months ago. Im trying to cut down BF% down to at least 10%. Recently I have hit a plateau of losing pounds(probably fat). This is my current diet.

7:15am get up, work out until 8
8:00am a bowl of high protein cereal
10:00am banana
11:00am handful of almonds
12:30pm lunch usually stir fry chicken with veg, no pasta or any carbs
2:00pm apple
3:00pm banana
5:00pm yogurt
6:30pm lifting or cardio days 2 hours of taekwondo, or capoeira
9:00pm dinner usually a buffalo or turkey burger, stir fry something simple
10:00pm 100% pure whey protein shake.

I have been on this same diet pretty much for the last 5-6 weeks.
On cheat days usually sundays I eat just anything and everything.
I also take CLA, Green Tea Extract, Omega3, Flax Seed Oil, multi vitamin and multi minerals throughout the day.
Im not really looking to be big, just looking to be cut, and have that very lean look. Preferably around 10% or less.

I have calculated my average calory intake is about 2000-2500 calories a day. I plan to increase my workout intensities, and maybe move onto meal replacement shakes or something. Anyway thanks for listening. Im open to any suggestions. As Im a newbie.

MJC097
01-27-2006, 10:55 PM
What you are going to want to do is have 5-6 meals a day well spread out throughout all the day. Now a meal is different from a snack. Pretty much everything you listed is a snack, a meal consists of all the marcos; protein, healthy fats, and carbs.

If you haven't already take a look at the "What a bodybuilder eats" thread and try and eat things from there. I would scratch the cereal and the burger and try to add more healthy fats (all natural peanut butter is a good one) and more vegetables.

Lastly, if you've reached a plateau I would up the calories by about 500 or so for a week and then cut them back down again. Sometimes your body gets used to you not eating a lot so it slows your metablism down to save energy... something you really dont want if your trying to cut weight.

tigo
01-28-2006, 02:35 AM
i would say substitue the whey shake for cottage cheese or some casein shake

Built
01-28-2006, 02:50 AM
You also appear to be getting very little fat in your diet - do you know your macros?

bigleaguechu
01-28-2006, 06:54 AM
I dont even know what macronutrients are. but I will look into it

Unreal
01-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Protein/fat/carbs. How much of each? Those are the macros. Looks like alot of carbs, and little fat/protein depending size of the meat portions. Start fitdaying everything, and get a food scale to actually weigh stuff. You can't know whats going on unless you know what your sticking in your body.

bigleaguechu
01-28-2006, 07:43 AM
This was what I had yesterday

2184 cal, 69.5g fat, 211g carb, 162g protein, 26g fiber

the carbs are all from fruits and veggies. And off course the morning cereal. Im in decent shape, just that there is some baby fat here and there. They have always been there since I was a teen. And Im about 27 now, even back when I used to teach taekwondo everyday I still had the pudge. Although I only started lifting weights pretty much for the first time in my life. I did get more defined, stronger, and everything looks more cut. So Im open to suggestions. Even if someone planned one for me Im more than happy to try it. Now I work in a office job, where having a lot of snacks is the most convienant way to keep eating all day. I figure I may not have the time to eat 2-3 meals in an 8 hour work day, but at least I can eat snacks.

crad
01-28-2006, 08:23 AM
I thought that you shouldn't eat after around 7-7:30? I know after the sun sets, the bodies digestive process pretty much comes to a halt. I guess that's from thousands of years of no electricity and people going to bed when the sun sets and waking up when it rises?

bigleaguechu
01-28-2006, 08:32 AM
I thought that you shouldn't eat after around 7-7:30? I know after the sun sets, the bodies digestive process pretty much comes to a halt. I guess that's from thousands of years of no electricity and people going to bed when the sun sets and waking up when it rises?

I dont know, I get out of work usually about 5-6, then go right into taekwondo capoeira classes dont usually get out until about 8-9 sometimes 10:30pm so I have to do something. I mean if your body does not digest after 8, then I will make sure not to eat anything after workout then. Although I always thought that you were supposed to.

MJC097
01-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Its far worse to starve you body for 12 hours then worry about a slower metabolism at night. Continue to eat every two and a half to three hours at night, and try and eat a fair amount of slow acting protein (whey protein is digested fast so thatís not really a good option) maybe an hour or so before you go to sleep. That way while youíre sleeping you body will have the nutrients to grow.

bigleaguechu
01-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Its far worse to starve you body for 12 hours then worry about a slower metabolism at night. Continue to eat every two and a half to three hours at night, and try and eat a fair amount of slow acting protein (whey protein is digested fast so thatís not really a good option) maybe an hour or so before you go to sleep. That way while youíre sleeping you body will have the nutrients to grow.

i usually drink my protein at night about an hour or so before i go to sleep. but whats something that has a slow protein?

ncsuLuke
01-28-2006, 03:26 PM
i usually drink my protein at night about an hour or so before i go to sleep. but whats something that has a slow protein?

cottage cheese or casein protein shake

use the whey after you workout

Built
01-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I always eat my last meal of the day just before bed, especially on a cut. Protein and fat - usually cottage cheese and peanut butter.

bigleague- "2184 cal, 69.5g fat, 211g carb, 162g protein, 26g fiber"

If we suppose you have about 170 lbs LBM, you'll need at least 170g protein and at least 85g of fat daily. Increase both fat and protein a bit, drop your carbs down and eat most of them in the meal before and the meal or two right after you lift.

New rule: anytime you open your mouth, you get protein. Carb by itself is a nono - but protein and carb is fine. So you want an apple? Eat some cottage cheese with it.

cphafner
01-28-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't see how you are getting 200 carbs from that diet. I wouldn't workout on an empty stomach.

Built
01-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Good catch cp - working out EMPTY? Why?

Spartacus
01-28-2006, 04:50 PM
no need to get your food spread out in small snacks. if you prefer to do so, its fine, but if you prefer to eat it in just 3-4 meals per day, that works too.

milk or meat are also good slow proteins, i usually eat my meal with meat soon before bed.

bigleaguechu
01-29-2006, 09:54 AM

when I take ECA stacks, I was told to take it on an empty stomach.

bigleaguechu
01-29-2006, 02:26 PM
so this is what I have to do,
-eat something before I work out
-eat more meals
-increase fats and proteins
-eat more time releaseed proteins

am I missing anymore

this could help me cut?

Built
01-30-2006, 09:11 PM
It'll help you diet (fat and slower protein are more satisfying than foods that digest more quickly, such as whey and carbs), and it'll help you hang onto LBM (provided you lift heavy through your cut), so ... yes. :)

cphafner
01-30-2006, 09:16 PM

The general conception is working out on an empty stomach will promote fat loss, I have yet to see definitive proof. I think working out on an empty stomach will promote muscle loss.