PDA

View Full Version : Are raw eggs really a problem?

PredatorX
01-28-2006, 04:15 AM
Or is it much ado about nothing?

I'm a poor student. Almost bankrupt, actually. I cant afford whey protein at the moment, and I've calculated based on all my available food sources that eggs are the cheapest per gram of protein that I can get.

Omelettes are nice. Boiled eggs are nice. There are lots of different ways to do eggs that are nice. The problem is, I'm used to protein shakes, and I like the convenience of them, particularly when I'm tired after a workout and dont want to fire up the stove.

What I've been doing lately is simply using milk and raw eggs blended to make a milkshake - I've started experimenting with adding cocoa powder and a little sugar for taste - and it seems good.

Of course, raw eggs have a bad reputation, and what I want to know is, is it deserved? Is it really anything to worry about? I've heard figures such as 1 in 30,000 eggs containing salmonella. Is this accurate? Are there any other problems that can be caused by raw eggs?

PeterParker
01-28-2006, 06:14 AM
why not just use skimmed milk powder with your milk.
instead of eggs.

TheGimp
01-28-2006, 08:07 AM
The salmonella is not the probelm, it's the bioavailability of the protein, which is enhanced by cooking as it denatures the avidin in the egg white. There have been countless posts on this topic, I suggest you do a search.

eatit
01-28-2006, 11:11 AM
most people don't get salmonella when it's in the eggs anyway due to immune system defense and the lw number of actual salmonella bacteria in the egg. But if you were really worried i'd suggest going out and buying some egg beaters or egg whites. These have the same nutritional rating as plain eggwhites so you won't have to worry about taking in fat, they're pretty much just pure protein. As far as needing to cook it to get the protein out of it... it'd be interesting to so how many grams out of a hundred of protein are not digested. My guess would be few enough not to worry about.

cphafner
01-28-2006, 11:14 AM
it's not a problem as long as you don't mind dying.

Whey protein is much cheaper per gm of protein than eggs.

PredatorX
01-28-2006, 01:10 PM
it's not a problem as long as you don't mind dying.

Whey protein is much cheaper per gm of protein than eggs.

Not where I am - I'm in New Zealand, and it seems we dont get it as good as you guys for some sources of protein. I can get a tray of 30 eggs for NZ$6, making for 20 cents per egg, and at a conservative 6 grams of protein per egg that makes for 3.3 cents per gram.

At all of the health food stores, pharmacies, and supermarkets, I can generally not get any better than ~$50/kg of Whey. Averageing perhaps 80% actual protein, I get a gram for a bit over 6 cents.

I can get milk that comes close to eggs, but eggs are still the cheapest. I checked out skim milk powder a while ago at the supermarket, and there at least it was too expensive - and I'm not sure where else to get it.

The second thing is, is death really a realistic prospect if you get salmonella? I can understand for children or the elderly, but I'm in my prime - is death really likely on the odds that I actally get salmonella?

cphafner
01-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Get your Whey online.

eatit
01-28-2006, 01:44 PM
from everything i've ever been told about salmonella it's not a big risk. Anytime you've ever had chocolate moose or a maringue you've eaten raw eggs. I'm sure everyone here has dipped into the cake/cookie/brownie batter before.

If you're really concerned about it look it up online and see how many cases of salmonella have been reported in your area recently.

and no, death really isn't a realistic prospect if you're a fit individual.

Spartacus
01-28-2006, 05:07 PM
much of the protein is not availible if you do not cook the white, about half of the eggwhite protein.
http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

additionally, if you are using eggs as your primary source of protein, you're probably going to be having enough to have to worry about the avidin causing biotin defiiciency, which can happen at around 15=20 eggs a day.

i've never done it, but perhaps you could cook up a bunch of eggs, probably soft boiled, and the keep them refrigerated, and throw a coupel of those togeter into your blender for a shake. might be an unpleasant texture, but will still be easy.

basix
01-29-2006, 02:53 AM
I'm in Australia and I order from www.mrsupplement.com.au and get 4kg whey concetrate for $100,

Im sure they deliver to NZ aswell for a bit more.

mikey4402
01-29-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm in Australia and I order from www.mrsupplement.com.au and get 4kg whey concetrate for $100,

Im sure they deliver to NZ aswell for a bit more.
that seems like alot...

check out this, cheap, quality, good tasting whey protien http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=62

Slim Schaedle
01-29-2006, 01:16 PM
The salmonella is not the probelm, it's the bioavailability of the protein, which is enhanced by cooking as it denatures the avidin in the egg white. There have been countless posts on this topic, I suggest you do a search.
The answer to the question is right here, as TheGimp pointed out. All salmonella disputes aside, without bioavailbility, you have nothing.