PDA

View Full Version : Giving Fish a try..

Manipul8r
01-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Whats the best type of fish (nutrition wise i mean). Im not a big fish fan, but im going to give it a try tonight. Anything that doesnt have that horrible "fishy" flavor to it??

Tryska
01-10-2002, 11:00 AM
halibut or cod.

whiting isn't as fishy either, but halibut is my favorite.

however...downside is the best nutrtional values comes from oilier fish, which tend to be gamier. *lol*

protein is protein though. it's not like fish has added carbs in it or somethin, just the fat content that would fluctuate.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-10-2002, 11:39 AM
good idea, oily fish are great sources of eicosapentaenoic acid & docosahexaenoic acid ;)

good for the brain. Essential infact, for the heart and artieries also. Mackerel is a good one - as is fresh tuna.

Tryska
01-10-2002, 11:43 AM
chigs you are so smart. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-10-2002, 11:48 AM
:nod:

Allie
01-10-2002, 12:42 PM
I also don't eat fish, well seafood if you really care. But last week I tried some tuna fish, can I just say it tasted like piss if you ask me, I doubt I will ever be able to deal with seafood.

aeckhardt
01-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Holy holy holy. If your gonna eat fish. You gotta go with baked salmon. Nothin tastes better. Not even nutter butters. Plus its got good fat and protein. And yeah, maybe some more carbs than other fish- but whatever, its good.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-10-2002, 12:43 PM
"can I just say it tasted like piss if you ask me"

lmao.

And you would know that how?....:)

aikigreg
01-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Allie
I also don't eat fish, well seafood if you really care. But last week I tried some tuna fish, can I just say it tasted like piss if you ask me, I doubt I will ever be able to deal with seafood.

I didn't think Princesses said "piss". I thought they just went "tinkle" :D

Jane
01-10-2002, 01:44 PM
salmon. definitely salmon. no need to marinate, spice, blah blah blah. like aeckhadrt said,(damn bro your name is harder to spell than reinier's) bake and eat :)

millertime
01-10-2002, 01:46 PM
If you rub lots of mayo all over your fish before you cook it, the mayo will remove the fishy taste. I do it all the time :)

gino
01-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jane
salmon. definitely salmon. no need to marinate, spice, blah blah blah. like aeckhadrt said,(damn bro your name is harder to spell than reinier's) bake and eat :)

Salmon is the best. I put a little lemon pepper seasoning on it and bake @ 400 for 20-25 minutes.

It's one of the "fishier" tasting fish, though.

Jane
01-10-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by gino
It's one of the "fishier" tasting fish, though.

Maybe, but it also has the richest taste, imo. Make sure the salmon you get is good quality and fresh.
Nothing worse than old salmon :(

and tuna is pretty fishy. opening the can is a trip under the sea in itself lol

Tryska
01-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by gino

it's one of the "fishier" tasting fish, though.

exactly.

and manip asked for fish that don't taste "fishy". *lol*

ie: less oily ones with white flesh.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Gino, do you not find that cooking at that temperature 'degenerates' the good fats?

gino
01-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Yeah, it does break down the EFA's somewhat. You'd have to cook it much longer to break them down totally. The faster you can cook it and eat it, the better.

Pup
01-10-2002, 03:04 PM
I cook salmon, tuna, and yellow fin tuna (expensive as hell), all of em are good, a less fishy tasting fish is catfish, but salmon is prolly the best overall imo.

Franco
01-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
good idea, oily fish are great sources of eicosapentaenoic acid & docosahexaenoic acid ;)

good for the brain. Essential infact, for the heart and artieries also. Mackerel is a good one - as is fresh tuna.

Ahh yes, our good friends the two long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids(eicosapentaenoic acid & docosahexaenoic acid). Yes mackrel is a good source as is shell-fish,herring, sardines and fresh water tuna. Their are numerous benfits on your lipid profile mainly plasma triglycerides, as well as the overall heart disease risk.

little guy
01-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Fish shouldn't really be "fishy". "Fishy" fish is old fish. That's why most people (mainland) don't like fish. The majority of people in Hawaii love fish. Raw or cooked, it's all good. Only down side of fresh fish is that it's expensive! Better to catch your own. ;)

Jane
01-10-2002, 07:33 PM
yeah as funny as that sounds, when fish smells fishy something is off...*shudder*

Manipul8r
01-10-2002, 08:11 PM
I bought some cod tonight, gonna give it a try for dinner tomorrow night.. I guess its a good thing that my shitty part time job is at a supermarket. Im gonna try the salmon next week.. How should i cook this shiat? just bake it for a bit?? Thanx for the REPLIES!!.. :D :cool:

teenidol1
01-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Mani-a real simple recipe for salmon is rub it with olive oil salt pepper and lemon juice. Bake for about 8 minutes per pound at around 400(skin side up if the skin is on) fish should flake when forked. If you need anything else feel free to ask,

Goin_Big
01-12-2002, 09:31 PM
We all know that catfish is the best tasting fish, nothing better, and you gotta catch it and skin it yerselves, I know girls you don't like touching the worms ; ) (jk)

body
01-13-2002, 03:25 AM
how about smoked salmon instead of normal salmon as its not quite as fishy.

aeckhardt
01-13-2002, 08:20 AM
Skin side up huh? Well I don't know about that. I mean, my mother makes a fierce baked salmon, better than most restaurants, and she never does skin side up. Maybe I should ask her to try it next time I roll around her way.

And yes i feel like a first grader by telling you about what my mother can cook.

JohnnyAutoParts
01-13-2002, 08:44 PM
Salmon is considered to be the bodybuilder's dream...High Protein, very low fat, and a good amount of omega fatty acids/fish oils.....

Unfortunately its not the best tasting fish out there, but if you are already eating healthy, i'm sure you are getting use to dealing with below average tastes.

01-14-2002, 10:07 AM
1.5-2lbs of atlantic salmon every week for me.

the doc
01-14-2002, 10:10 AM
salmon is NOT low fat...lol

01-14-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyAutoParts
Salmon is considered to be the bodybuilder's dream...High Protein, very low fat, and a good amount of omega fatty acids/fish oils.....

salmon is probably one of the fattiest fishes in the ocean. :rolleyes: But its a good fat so its all good.

Jane
01-14-2002, 10:17 AM
actually some types of salmon are much fattier than others. I have found several brands of smoked salmon where fat for 2oz is from 1.5-3g and several with 8-10g. Same for canned salmon, great variety in fat content.

breeze
01-14-2002, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't worry about the fat content in fish. The fat in fish is mostly omega-3 in the form of epa and mono unsaturated fat. So eat eat eat all the fish that you want.

teenidol1
01-14-2002, 01:38 PM
Aeck-yep skin side up if you are baking and skin side down if your doing it in a skillet

Also if you have the canned salmon mix it with some olive oil and pesto and throw it in a pita and then you have a quick delicous sandwich. I also throw in some spinach and tomato.