PDA

View Full Version : Simple Carb intake after a Workout

thinkdq
01-10-2002, 12:24 PM
I've read where you should have a carb drink right after your workout. My question is: Is juice pretty much the same as a carb drink?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-10-2002, 12:27 PM
what kind of juice?

aeckhardt
01-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Not really because most juice is fructose and that is not the type of sugar you are looking for.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-10-2002, 01:03 PM
not necessarily. Grape juice is kinda fructosey/glucosey haha

are you on about fresh 'real' fruit juice or crappy processed cordials?

TreeTrunks
01-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Just eat like a half cup of rice. Save your money of the carb drinks.

body
01-11-2002, 12:30 PM
a carb drink should be desinged to allow for greater water uptake so should have carb level around 7 grams for 100 grams of product. fruit juices are normally higher. also the electrolytes levels are going to be in better proportions as well.
But will this difference is smaller in the larger picute of things you can do wrong.

gino
01-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Get grape juice if you're gonna use juice. And no, kool-aid doesn't count.

WilliamX
01-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Just eat like a half cup of rice...
What GI does white rice have? The one you get from chinese. How many grams of carbs are in a small container?

As for the other thing I like dextrose after workout. It's cheap; comes in powder so you can just add water; it's flavored so it tastes good..just like juice.And GI=100. They sell it in pharmacies here but i think it's overpriced, so I get it from the internet now,it's real cheap.

Pup
01-11-2002, 02:20 PM
White rice is crap, get some brown rice.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-11-2002, 03:17 PM
on the white bread index white rice = 83.

on the index using malto or dextrose as 100 it'd be even lower.

Reinier
01-11-2002, 03:19 PM
whats the GI of honey?

i heard it was like shiat fast and a good post workout simple carb.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Honey is 83 on the white bread scale also.

The problem with honey is that it is a fructose/glucose kinda blend. still high GI though.

oh, and all the studies showing that honey is great post workout were funded by the national honey board.

I'm not saying anything but...

WilliamX
01-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Honey GI=58 on glucose=100 scale.
(unless it's glucose enriched)

body
01-12-2002, 03:52 AM
a recipie

1 pint of milk(skimmed)
1 scoop whey
30 g of dextrose - could replace with icing sugar for the sweet tooth people. may be add some golden sryup as well.YUM!
1 teaspoon of flavouring.
may be add some water to increase speed through the stomach as to sugary drink slow down it down.

there you have quick and slow proteins and high and lower GI.
so you hit yourself different speeds of prtoien and carbs.

Its quick sickly but i like it.

Delphi
01-12-2002, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
The problem with honey is that it is a fructose/glucose kinda blend.

Que? That's what you said about grape juice when you were saying it was a Good Thing...:confused:

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 08:26 AM
did i?

btw, i said it's a problem cause the fructose causes the slight reduction of the GI. If it was all glucose then it would be great for a post workout spike if you wanted it, especially since honey isn't expensive at all. But it will still cause a 'spike'.

Honey is like half and half of glucose and fructose, and we all know that fructose isn't the ideal for replenishing muscle glycogen [so fruit on it's own post workout isn't 'the best', but if you eat it along with say some oatmeal you'll be good*] but i think grape juice has a different ratio of glucose to fructose - more in glucose favour, so it's aight for creatine mixing.

* the reason i said something like oatmeal is because the GI of oatmeal is already low so eating fruit with it wouldn't cause much difference. I would advise against eating fruit with say malto or dextrose cause the fruit will lower the GI and slow the digestion a bit, which, although doesn't reduce the GI that much, it kinda defys the point of using dextrose/malto in the first place. The slowed digestion would also mean there is a constant 'leak' of the high GI into the blood stream meaning insulin levels would stay higher for longer, which although not necessarily bad, is rather nice conditions for fat gain. and if you don;t care about fat gain - knock yourself out.

the doc
01-12-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by just_a_pup
White rice is crap, get some brown rice.

white rice is ideal for an insulin spike, if that is what you desire

honey is very poor at spiking insulin and at replenishing muscle glycogen- it is almost 50% fructose

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 09:19 AM
i think that was his point Doc - that the spike isn't necessary.

I've converted him :D

body
01-12-2002, 10:03 AM
a bit of fructose can be helpful in helping liver fill up on glycogen though. But you do not need much.
But I getting into more of the area about what powerman was writing in that thread a couple of days ago about getting the nutrients in you before you go training.

the doc
01-12-2002, 10:12 AM
well there's certainly nothing wrong with a little fructose and i love honey! But on a calorie/carb restricted diet you would want to get the most bang for your buck (in terms of muscle glycogen over liver.

white vs. brown rice--- eat that brown rice!@...lol

Check out that article on insulin index for some more interesting info...

syntekz
01-12-2002, 10:17 AM
So what is the final decision? brown rice?

:confused:

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 10:51 AM
Body, you mean what PM wrote that he stole from me...;)

Prelude
01-12-2002, 11:13 AM
I've been using 60g dext or malto with whey post. But I read in previous threads, not sure if it were from Doc or Wizard, that dext or malto are not really necessary because muscle glyco will be replenished thru out the day. Now, I'd like to switch and try diff. carbs for postworkout. What are the best ones? Are fruits ok?The diff between muscle and liver glycogen? Thanks!!!

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 11:21 AM
well you won't have heard that from Wizard, proll doc.

you're right, high GI post WO isn't necessary. whether it is'better' than low GI is debatable.

best ones? lots of choice. My personal favourite is oatmeal.

fruit post WO isn't ideal no, cause of the cabohydrates being mostly fructose.

glycogen is the word for stored glucose. Muscle glycogen is stored in muscles and liver glycogen is stored in the liver.

body
01-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Body, you mean what PM wrote that he stole from me...;)

i apoligise, I ment to say I like chicken thinking.

Prelude
01-12-2002, 11:41 AM
How about white rice, white bread? But still no fat, for how many hours?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 11:47 AM
white rice and white bread, just like malto or dextrose, will cause insulin spikes, only they are whole foods and so digestion will take slightly longer meaning a more sustained insulin release into the blood stream.

what do you mean by no fat for how many hours?

Prelude
01-12-2002, 11:54 AM
You know when insulin is spiked you're not suppose to eat fat cause it will be stored directly to the fat cells. Are you suggesting eating complex carbs, like brown rice and whole wheat, so it will not spike insulin?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 11:54 AM
btw, first decide on whether you think an insulin spike is required post WO before chosing a carb source.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 12:02 PM
yes, but not totally cause spiked insulin will push fat into fat cells - more because i find more 'stable' insulin levels preferable.

btw, insulin doesn;t have to be spiked to push fat into fat cells. insulin's 'job' is as a 'storage' hormone, so any insulin release when eating fat has potential to create a fat storing environment.

the whole high GI post train is really quite over hyped by supplement companies in a bid to sell their products.

Prelude
01-12-2002, 01:12 PM
So besides from oatmeal, is brown rice and whole wheat good then? what else? I need to know as many as I can so I'll have alot of options. Thanks!!!