PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with oats?

clvmike19
01-30-2006, 09:21 AM
I was going to buy some to throw in my shakes, what good do they do? And do I need to boil them beforehand? That seems like a pain! :D

getfit
01-30-2006, 09:25 AM
oats are good for you

Through modern science won't learned that oats are a remarkably healthy food. With a relatively high soluble and insoluble fiber content of 10%, oats are an excellent food in lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart disease. Containing over 4 times the fatty acids of wheat, oats can be considered a high calorie food containing 19% more calories than wheat. One third of those fats are the polyunsaturated type which are required for good health. Oats are also rich in the B vitamins, contain the anti-oxidant vitamin E and oats are mineral rich as well.

i just grind them and toss them in my shake

Unreal
01-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Just a good low GI source of carbs. Tasty, easy to use, and cheap. Its my mainstay for carbs. 2 minutes in the microwave, add a scoop of nitrean and you have a great meal.

Abyss
01-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Oats are an amazing source of Complex Carbs, take them, try them, LOVE them.

clvmike19
01-30-2006, 11:29 AM
May have sold me on teh oats...Ill pick some up on friday (grocery day) or when I have to restock on milk mid week...thanks for the replies!

MJS
02-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Through modern science won't learned that oats are a remarkably healthy food. With a relatively high soluble and insoluble fiber content of 10%, oats are an excellent food in lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart disease. Containing over 4 times the fatty acids of wheat, oats can be considered a high calorie food containing 19% more calories than wheat. One third of those fats are the polyunsaturated type which are required for good health. Oats are also rich in the B vitamins, contain the anti-oxidant vitamin E and oats are mineral rich as well.

Getfit, you should work for a nutrition magazine - that is more finely written than 90% of what I read. You robot.

gator
02-09-2006, 04:04 AM
I really think people should mention that it's not proven that low GI carbs such as oats are beneficial in a PWO shake as compared to high GI carbs. To me it makes much more sence to take a high GI carb in the PWO shake.