PDA

View Full Version : Natural versus Regular Peanut Butter

ArchAngel777
01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
I have been reading that a lot of people on this forum push natural peanut butter. In most situations I would be the same way... But because it is such a pain, I wanted to see if Peanut Butter really did containt trans fats in any type of sizable portion. According to this (http://www.peanut-institute.org/04feb00_PeanutButter_Facts.html) it does not contain any significant amount of trans fats and is therefore required by the FDA to report (0) grams of Trans Fat.

Additionally, 90% of peanut butter is the same whether it is Natural or not due to the regulation that 90% of peanut butter has to come from peanuts.

Just some interesting research I have found... Perhaps it is biased, perhaps not. I just think Regular Peanut Butter tastes great to me and isn't a hassle to store and stir.

brickt.
01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Yes, the amount of trans in normal peanut butter is practically nil, so yeah they can list it as 0g. So, if you like the taste of normal pb, go have at it. Personally, the 'gritty' flavour of natural has me hooked.

Anthony
01-30-2006, 04:55 PM
I think it's more about salt, sugar, icing sugar, preservatives, etc, etc, etc.

NPB tastes better in my opinion, and stirring isn't an issue once you open it. I stir it once, store in the fridge, and it maintains a nice texture.

*shrug*

TheGimp
01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
My biggest problem with standard peanutbutter is the sugar. Empty calories, simple as that.

John04Civic
01-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Hell, I have literally TRIED looking for Natural PB... No luck yet finding ANYTHING. So I am still using JIF

getfit
01-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Hell, I have literally TRIED looking for Natural PB... No luck yet finding ANYTHING. So I am still using JIF
Natural food store

f=ma
01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I have to admit, Natty PB is supremely better than regular PB. I like Crunchy Skippy.. its incredible. Also, once I switched from regular PB, the sugar in it tastes almost nauseating

RSB
01-30-2006, 06:01 PM
i have to agree with you even the smell of peanut butter like JIF makes me gag. And i tried it the other day needed a sub untill i could get to the store and it was prolly the worst thing i ever ate in my life. Every time i took a bite i pictured crisco going into my mouth. :bow: natty PB is god.

ncsuLuke
01-30-2006, 06:08 PM

i can find it at the food lion near my campus and that store doesnt have jack ****

cphafner
01-30-2006, 06:52 PM
i can find it at the food lion near my campus and that store doesnt have jack ****

the food lion in charlotte stocked Smuckers natty pb. Are there an Harris Teeters nearby?

cphafner
01-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I have been reading that a lot of people on this forum push natural peanut butter. In most situations I would be the same way... But because it is such a pain, I wanted to see if Peanut Butter really did containt trans fats in any type of sizable portion. According to this (http://www.peanut-institute.org/04feb00_PeanutButter_Facts.html) it does not contain any significant amount of trans fats and is therefore required by the FDA to report (0) grams of Trans Fat.

Additionally, 90% of peanut butter is the same whether it is Natural or not due to the regulation that 90% of peanut butter has to come from peanuts.

Just some interesting research I have found... Perhaps it is biased, perhaps not. I just think Regular Peanut Butter tastes great to me and isn't a hassle to store and stir.

If it's not natural it has some sort of bad oil acting as a stabilizer. It will also be packed with sugar. There is no comparison in the two.

ArchAngel777
01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
If it's not natural it has some sort of bad oil acting as a stabilizer. It will also be packed with sugar. There is no comparison in the two.

Looking at the USDA label right now...

Total Fat = 16g

Saturated Fat 3g

Fiber = 2g

Cholesterol = 0

Dietary Fiber = 2g

Sugars = 3g

Protein = 8g

1) 3g of sugar is insignificant and is quite a hyperbole to say 'packed'.

2) If there is no trans fats, then the vegetable oils were either insignificant, or they were never heated beyond, what? 300 farenheit. From what I have read, those vegetable oils are just find as long as they are not heated up enough to cause those trans fatty acids.

I am not convinced that this stuff is 'bad' for you. At least, not anymore than your average 'Whole Wheat' bread or 'Diet Soda' or anything else. Heck, I am willing to wager one fast food visit has a much more negative effect on your health than one jar of 'Jif' Peanut Butter... But hey, that is me.

clvmike19
01-30-2006, 08:55 PM
I just bought some Natural PB at the regular grocery store....same price at Reg PB, same cals too 190/serving. Didnt need to be stirred either...so I went for it, and use it in my morning shake. I think its made my "Skippy" wow thats a ghey name.

Built
01-30-2006, 09:16 PM

That's 0g PER SERVING, which means less than a gram per whatever the serving size is.

Most of us are eating more than one "serving" of PB, and we're eating it FOR THE HEALTHY FAT.

Might as well get the good stuff.

Besides, natty tastes SO much better than the commercial crap.

ArchAngel777
01-30-2006, 09:22 PM
That's 0g PER SERVING, which means less than a gram per whatever the serving size is.

Most of us are eating more than one "serving" of PB, and we're eating it FOR THE HEALTHY FAT.

Might as well get the good stuff.

Besides, natty tastes SO much better than the commercial crap.

Isn't it less than .5 a gram? If I had remembered correctly, it had to be detailed to the .5g of fat. Because my can of Tuna reports .5g of fat. But as for serving size, two tablespoons (one serving) is plenty for me.

the doc
01-30-2006, 09:44 PM
why would anyone buy the jif, or skippy?

I dont know about others but i eat natty PB because i like peanuts in my peanut butter, not added fat and sugar

Shao-LiN
01-30-2006, 09:53 PM

Where do you live? Have a Ralph's? Albertson's? Trader Joe's? Stater Brothers? Costco? Natural peanut butter is pretty easy to find.

cphafner
01-30-2006, 10:00 PM
as built said, a lot of people here eat multiple servings of PB a day for the healthy fat content. I would rather save those saturated fats for beef and steak.

brickt.
01-30-2006, 11:46 PM
To the OP, eat which one you want.

Natty PB IS better for you across the board than Commercial PB, however, you won't die if you opt for the commercial.

Simon96Taco
01-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Natural PB = delicious

f=ma
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
why would anyone buy the jif, or skippy?

I dont know about others but i eat natty PB because i like peanuts in my peanut butter, not added fat and sugarim pretty sure skippy makes a natty version, which is quite good

DarrenEff
01-31-2006, 01:44 PM
If you melt the PB in the microwave and dip apple slices into it, you can't taste the difference between either...

I'm aware my post is pointless....yay apples n pb!!

ArchAngel777
01-31-2006, 01:45 PM
im pretty sure skippy makes a natty version, which is quite good

They do, I just seen it when I went to the grocery store today... But what is interesting is that it still containts the exact same label was my 'Extra Crunchy Jif' So... Like, everything down the sugar and stuff was indenticle. So, this can mean that natural really isn't different, at least not much or that skippy is labeling something at natural when it is not. Whatever the case, I enjoy the synthetic fake stuff :D I love the easy to spread peanut butter, I love it on my warm toasts so that it melts before it goes into my mouth... Ok enough, I am getting hungry.

f=ma
01-31-2006, 04:51 PM
i was wrong, i meant to say smuckers is what i buy and its really good

LoneJeeper
01-31-2006, 06:54 PM
they had natty pb in wal-mart. I got it, and i like the taste better. I wouldn't've even tried it if it wasn't for this forum. I'm not convinced it's any better/worse than 'un'natty pb.

kd

DarthDave
02-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Almond Butter...hmmm..on rice cakes....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

baja_stx
02-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I was going to post the same ? about natural vs. regular (JIF).

I compared my natural PB label to the label of a co-workers JIF just today and they were identical except for the ingredients listed. I assume that the natural stuff is better, but if the labels say they're identical per serving (2 TBSP) because there's too little of whatever's bad in them to say differently then it must be very very little.

My own personal opinion on the matter: Eat whichever you like better.

BTW Has anyone tried the natural Smuckers w/ honey?

EricCartman
02-02-2006, 10:03 PM
I live in Dallas, cant find any Natty PB...

tigo
02-07-2006, 03:52 PM
iduno i eat it cuz i like it when theres only 1 or 2 ingredients: roasted peanuts, and salt

the commerical stuff has a bunch of random crap in it

ddegroff
02-07-2006, 11:27 PM
^^^^and sugar