PDA

View Full Version : Could you give me ur opinions?

Con
01-31-2006, 03:37 PM
I am really lost, ive been reading and resarching quite a bit about how the body works, I have learned a lot but i think im gettin myself confused because when i try and think of things logically, i cant help but contradict myself in one way or another.

What I was hoping to get advise on is, generally how do I do the following: Become a lean individual, lose BF but not muscle mass. I am guessing cardio, but if i workout with weights how will that alter my calorie intake or should it always be constant?

My stepfather always talks to me about how I need to eat alot to grow like him(hes pretty big), but Im not trying to gain a lot of muscle, I was to lose BF and become lean. Can someone give me advice to a confused teen. Thanks

Unreal
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
If your a teen, unless your obese, then eat. Take advantage of the hormones and your body's natural ability to grow during that time. I see way too many little stick teens that think they need to lose weight and become leaner when they barely have any meat on them. What are you stats?

Anyways, to become lean you eat less then maintence.

Con
01-31-2006, 04:05 PM
I have a pretty good amount of meat on me, im 180 pounds, I think somewhere around 20% BF(got it off a site based on my waistsize), I have pretty big legs, nice amount of fat around my stomache and some fat around my arms.
Maintenance cals=my body weight X 12 right?
And what about exercize?

drew
01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Maintenance is whatever amount of cals it takes to keep you from gaining or losing weight. It's pretty individual, and you have to figure it out. But bodyweightx15 is usually a good starting point.

Find a lifting routine and follow it. WBB1 is a great place to start. Cardio is all well and good, but it isn't going to make you lean in the most efficient way.

Con
01-31-2006, 04:40 PM
and what is WBB1? how should i determine my cals, just 500 from maintenance? and should i eat ceretain things after i workout or anything special like that? thx for the replys guys

drew
01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Read the stickies in the diet/nutrition forum. They will give you a good direction.

Eat something high in protein after a workout. Try to limit carbs until a couple hours later.

lifter4life
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Read the stickies in the diet/nutrition forum. They will give you a good direction.

Eat something high in protein after a workout. Try to limit carbs until a couple hours later.

lol? After you lift is probably the most essential time to refill your muscles glycogen. If your body doesn't have its own readily available it will catabolize your muscles and make glyconeogenesis.

Built
01-31-2006, 06:51 PM

???

drew
01-31-2006, 08:12 PM
I apologize, I'm having a really really really off day. Really.

Built
01-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Drew, I think you meant fat.

Post workout, carb and protein, low fat.

After that, bring on the fats!

Con - cardio is actually kinda crummy for leaning out. Cut your calories a bit, keep up the fats and proteins, and lift heavy. You'll lean out soon enough.

Con
02-01-2006, 03:53 AM
I appreciate the comments, but I have just 2 more things im wondering about.
I workout in the afternoon to the evening, should i get a shake and a carb meal, and then have a snack right before bed, or is eating before going to sleep not recommended?
And other thing is that my stepfather says i dont need to lose weight, he says all im gonna do is lose the muscle i have if i dont eat, can u lift heavy on low cals but not do more damage than good?
Thx again

ddegroff
02-01-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm eating 2200 cals per day right now. I lift just as heavy as I did when I was eating 4000 cals. I would take whatever you want before you workout as long as it works for you (I take whey/creatine/honey) before each workout. The reason we lift heavy while cutting is to save our hard earned muscle. If you just run to lose weight you will lose your muscle.

As far as not eating before you sleep is a myth. You starve yourself for 8+ hours per night, I would never tell anyone to not eat before bed. Stick with Cottage cheese, natty peanut butter, skim milk, or peanuts.

Con
02-01-2006, 04:55 PM
I understand, I think all my questions have been answered except one. On days that I do not workout, how should my meals be different? Should I only eat carbs in the morning and keep the same calorie count?

drew
02-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Eat the same way every day.

Built
02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I understand, I think all my questions have been answered except one. On days that I do not workout, how should my meals be different? Should I only eat carbs in the morning and keep the same calorie count?
Lots of ways to do it.

I carb/calorie cycle - lifting days get more carbs and more calories; rest days get less starch, so the calories go down.