PDA

View Full Version : Stronger I get the more I ache

Jinkies
01-31-2006, 05:55 PM
Heavy lifting is really starting to a take a tole on me, mostly on my knees and elbows. Is there anything yall can suggest? ill give an example of a typical bench/squat workout and yall can tell me if theres any ideas
Bench-135x10 225x8 275x5(3 sets) then 315x2
Squat-135x10 225x10 315x8 405x5(3 sets) 475x2 then 500+ x1 if im feeling good. Im trying to take some joint medicine like glucosamine, if any of yall can reccomend anything

Bohizzle
01-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Although i haven't used it, I've heard ETS from ALN is awesome.

Andrew

MixmasterNash
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Schedule some serious rest too. 1-2 weeks with no leg training. 1-2 weeks with no upper training. They don't have to overlap.

WBBIRL
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Dont Know... I've benched 335 with no pain

Ruffian
01-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Make sure your form is PERFECT! IF it isnt exactly how its supposed to be at weights like that then you will put most of the weight on your muscular structure which will make you jump weight faster but will also wreck havoc on your bones/cartilidge/joints.

If your hurting that bad I woudl have someone who is really knowledgable make sure you are using good form, sounds to me like your joints are starting to have a toll taken on them from bad form. Either that or your body is just getting tired. Either way a week off every now and again is never a bad thing!

WBBIRL
01-31-2006, 08:52 PM
For as young as your arm, your body just might not be able to handle it that well. I know that 335 didn't hurt my joints or anything anymore then 135 does. Do you bench elbows in or out??? I really never knew what that meant until the new thread just came up in powerlifitng fourm... seems I bench elbows out.

Jinkies
01-31-2006, 09:07 PM
I lift each of those 3x a week monday wednesday and fridays due to athletics, cant rest any time of the year

WBBIRL
02-01-2006, 08:53 PM
You shouldnt be benching your max weight 3x a week... not even every week is a really good idea. Epsically on the same lifts each time.. your killing your CNS bro

deeder
02-01-2006, 10:11 PM
You shouldnt be benching your max weight 3x a week... not even every week is a really good idea. Epsically on the same lifts each time.. your killing your CNS bro

Werd

Sensei
02-02-2006, 06:45 AM
You train that heavy at every session, 3x/week???

Jinkies
02-02-2006, 06:57 AM
I dont have a choice cause of athletics at school thats just what i have to do, i do Bench Squat Clean Monday Wednesday Friday then deadlift tuesdays and fridays, then mondays i do extra leg work afterschool in the weightroom then wednesday is chest and then friday is back. I know its not the best idea but I cant just go tell the coaches they gotta change the program so I try to eat alot just so my muscles can heal to keep up

Jinkies
02-02-2006, 06:58 AM
I guess cause its football they figure we condition better that way

Ruffian
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
I guess cause its football they figure we condition better that way

Your football coach must be ****ing insane! Ill re-iterate what these guys have said several times. Give him a copy of the WBB routines!

ArchAngel777
02-02-2006, 12:24 PM
You train that heavy at every session, 3x/week???

Actually, I know a lot of Olympic Lifters that do the same thing. Lifting heavy all the time isn't a problem, but lifting heavy 3X a week is a bit much, and to that I agree... Everyone has different recovery times, so you can train heavy as much as you want, so long as your body was well rested and recovered.

I have done quite a bit of research over lifting heavy/light etc... Not much other than personal opinion. Certainly there are well trained athletes that do it either way... I lift heavy 80% of the time and the only reason I don't life heavy 100% of the time is because I like to lift more weights and thus my body isn't always recovered when I go in, so I lift light on those days.

Bruise Brubaker
02-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Olympic lifting is not like exercises like bench, doing them heavy more often is less a problem than squatting heavy all the time.

Anyway, why don't you tell your coaches that your joints ache, and bring and show them a WBB routine or at least a WBB approved routine that an imaginary physiotherapist or some doctor told you to do.

Sensei
02-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Actually, I know a lot of Olympic Lifters that do the same thing. Lifting heavy all the time isn't a problem, but lifting heavy 3X a week is a bit much, and to that I agree... Everyone has different recovery times, so you can train heavy as much as you want, so long as your body was well rested and recovered.

I have done quite a bit of research over lifting heavy/light etc... Not much other than personal opinion. Certainly there are well trained athletes that do it either way... I lift heavy 80% of the time and the only reason I don't life heavy 100% of the time is because I like to lift more weights and thus my body isn't always recovered when I go in, so I lift light on those days.
"Heavy" is, of course, relative. If you are intelligently planning your training, you might be training heavy a lot, but certainly not trying to hit a 1RM or working w. even 90+% of your 1RM every session, to say nothing of doing that 3x/week!

ArchAngel777
02-03-2006, 12:27 PM
"Heavy" is, of course, relative. If you are intelligently planning your training, you might be training heavy a lot, but certainly not trying to hit a 1RM or working w. even 90+% of your 1RM every session, to say nothing of doing that 3x/week!

I would say all my sessions (except for light days) are within 90% of my maximum weight. Some people call my crazy and maybe I am, but that is the way I lift. Most of my workout numbers like Clean + Jerk, Squat, BP right now are well within 10% of my maximum lift. I gain strength that way much quicker than doing a 5 X 5 routine.

Jinkies
02-03-2006, 10:12 PM
I cant complain cause i seem to improve, benching 3x a week is no problem but squating is alot different so i have good days and bad days. They say the body adjusts to what you do so i think after 2 years of this routine its adjusted besides the occasional cramp

Sensei
02-04-2006, 05:48 AM
I would say all my sessions (EXCEPT FOR LIGHT DAYS) are within 90% of my maximum weight. Some people call my crazy and maybe I am, but that is the way I lift. Most of my workout numbers like Clean + Jerk, Squat, BP right now are well within 10% of my maximum lift. I gain strength that way much quicker than doing a 5 X 5 routine.
How often are you benching or squatting within 10% of your max? Once or twice a week?

I don't think there's anything wrong w. training heavy and training heavy frequently as long as you are recovering. I just question the wisdom of doing it ALL THE TIME in EVERY SESSION - especially if you are training 3x/week. You can get away with it for a while, but periodization is key and if you don't allow for recovery, you'll be taking time off eventually because of injury or overtraining.

ArchAngel777
02-05-2006, 12:29 PM
How often are you benching or squatting within 10% of your max? Once or twice a week?

I don't think there's anything wrong w. training heavy and training heavy frequently as long as you are recovering. I just question the wisdom of doing it ALL THE TIME in EVERY SESSION - especially if you are training 3x/week. You can get away with it for a while, but periodization is key and if you don't allow for recovery, you'll be taking time off eventually because of injury or overtraining.

Oh I totally agree with the 3X a week thing UNLESS someone can completely recover from it every 2.33 days... For myself, personally, it takes me about 4-5 days to recover from Heavy DL/Squats and about 3 days from Heavy Upper body workout.

I can do heavy cleans about every other day.

So I would say that I train within 90% of my maximum lifts about 1.5 times a week.

If I can detect any soreness (even a slight teeny one) I will workout light that day or just not go in.