PDA

View Full Version : Switching Grip on Deadlift

Jinkies
01-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Is it important? or can just doing one grip work both sides of my back the same, seems like right hand on top works the right side more

drew
01-31-2006, 09:13 PM
If you're looking for size, switch it for each set.

If you're just lookin gto move weight (like me) do whatever you want. My right trap is slightly lower than my left because I always use an underhand grip with my right and overhand with my left. But I just want to move the weight.

Optimum08
01-31-2006, 10:20 PM
i am the exact opposite, i go right hand over, left under, but drew is right do you want gain size or move the weight?

Rex
02-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I switch grip each set because I found that my pronated hand was doing too much work and it was affecting other exercises like BB Rows.
My stronger hand, the right hand, was pronated all the time and the fatigue it developed never had the opportunity to dissipate. Eventually it became weak. I would suggest that you switch your grip to prevent "overtraining", especially if your accustomed to high rep deads. It may not be as valid with tripples, doubles and singles.

Jinkies
02-01-2006, 07:25 AM
im just worried about having one side of my back being larger cause from my soreness thats how it felt. But people like Ronnie Coleman who just do heavy deadlift on there backdays dont bother to switch grips and i cant tell a difference

KevinStarke
02-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I have yet to ever chang emy grip on deads and my lats seem even to me. I wouldnt worry about it unless you notice a real difference between sides.

Meat_Head
02-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Do as many different kinds of deadlifts as you can with as many different grips as you can for overall size and strength. If you're in a competition though, pick your strongest like drew said.

Sensei
02-01-2006, 11:03 AM
It's not a bad idea to switch around the mixed grip at least for warm-ups and lighter rep work.

Jinkies
02-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Its tiring to switch grips tho cause then i double my sets doing one with each grip, i want to stick to single but i felt my right side of my back more sore during the workout. Then again i have OCD when it comes to evenness but i guess theres no way to be completely even on this exercise

cphafner
02-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I always do left over/right under.

tigo
02-04-2006, 02:17 AM
i switch it up because otherwise one side of my back is dead while the other is fine

Jinkies
02-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Thats how it is with me but other people seem to not have a problem with it

Formless
02-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Double Over Hand Grip all the Way!

Jinkies
02-09-2006, 05:16 PM
lol hope ur not serious, besides I get that from cleaning

karsel
02-09-2006, 09:49 PM
If you're looking for size, switch it for each set.

If you're just lookin gto move weight (like me) do whatever you want. My right trap is slightly lower than my left because I always use an underhand grip with my right and overhand with my left. But I just want to move the weight.

^Case closed.
Building Muscle (higher reps)= Switch, i take it so your working both sides evenly.
Power-Lifting (low reps)= Use best grip for you, whatever makes you lift more.

Canadian Crippler
02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
My right trap is slightly lower than my left because I always use an underhand grip with my right and overhand with my left. But I just want to move the weight.I got the same thing going on. Don't really care all that much to be honest.

brickt.
02-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Am I the only duder that is left underhand, right over?

Jinkies
02-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Thats the grip i compete with, but yeah i think this thread is done

Minotaur
02-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Am I the only duder that is left underhand, right over?

Nope. I'm right over-left under also.

WBBIRL
02-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Same here, when I pull the left hand goes under and the right hand goes over.

Usually I go double over for as long as my punny grip will allow.

Sidior
02-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Nope. I'm right over-left under also.

I as well.....huzzah!

deeder
02-10-2006, 11:18 PM
I too go left under right over (for maxes and such)... But I do as much as I can with both overhand and then switch it up every set when I'm doing a mixed grip.

Alex.V
02-11-2006, 09:01 AM
It'll only make one trap grow more if that side of your shoulder girdle is supporting more weight.

If you're holding the bar evenly, it won't.

So those of you getting abnormal trap development, stop holding the bar off kilter. ;)

K.Huget
02-12-2006, 04:42 PM
I've always done double overhand, nobody ever told me otherwise. What is the advantage of one under and one over? Is it just to grip it better?

drew
02-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Over under is a stronger grip. Mainly because when you grip double-over the bar wants to roll out of your hands.

ShockBoxer
02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
So those of you getting abnormal trap development, stop holding the bar off kilter. ;)

Any tips on that? My entire lower body is out of alignment with my neck and shoulders (side effect of compensating for Duane's syndrome) so I find my right side pulls a lot harder/gets to lockout first as the bar tries to align itself at groin level. It's hard to explain... wish I could post a vid.

It's not straight up, back, lockout. It's straight up, twist slightly, back, lockout. The twist is where things get uneven.

Same with squats, actually, when coming up from below parallel to return to standing.

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 05:15 PM
i am also a left-under right-over puller....

D Breyer
02-12-2006, 06:48 PM
:withstupi:

Patz
02-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm left over right under..and right-handed. No one seems to mention that.

I always try to increase the max weight at which I can keep both hands over. So far, it's 315. I can remember mixing the grip at 275..lol

drew
02-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm the same. Left over, right under and right handed. I always pull this way, so I don't change my grip. I do pull RDL's and Dimels with an overhand grip, but I generally am only doing 185 or so, generally for 20 reps.

Patz
02-12-2006, 09:42 PM
oops..i meant that i'm left under..lol

Songsangnim
02-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Double over

Mixed grip puts an uneven stress on your back... for me at least. Did an mixed grip once and my lower back was too sore to do any lifting for a couple of months. Never again.

biggimp
02-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Double over

Mixed grip puts an uneven stress on your back... for me at least. Did an mixed grip once and my lower back was too sore to do any lifting for a couple of months. Never again.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with mixed grip.

Optimum08
02-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Double over

i don't think those severe back problems were due to the mixed grip...

Optimum08
02-17-2006, 11:29 PM
im left under, right over and im right handed....and i always pull this way, even when i warm up...

Jinkies
02-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Gettin me back sore is what im goin for so im switchin between reverse grips. You will never be able to pull more then 600 with double hand over without some serious wrist wraps

Songsangnim
02-18-2006, 04:16 AM
i don't think those severe back problems were due to the mixed grip...

The deadlift worked for me just fine with double overhead even in excess of 400 lbs. A mixed grip (with much lighter weight) was the only thing that changed.

And since reverting back to double overhand I have had no problems.

Songsangnim
02-18-2006, 04:20 AM

Depends on the person. Most people (over time) can condition themselves. Some people like myself find it puts too much uneven torque on the back. And with a decade and a half's worth of lifting experience, and a history of problem free deadlifting (until the mixed grip experience) I doubt it was due to other factors.

Sensei
02-18-2006, 06:02 AM
The deadlift worked for me just fine with double overhead even in excess of 400 lbs. A mixed grip (with much lighter weight) was the only thing that changed.

And since reverting back to double overhand I have had no problems.Do you use straps, hook grip, or just have an amazing grip?

biggimp
02-18-2006, 08:26 AM
400lbs isnt that heavy w/ double overhand... now if he was doing 500 that would be pretty crazy.

Optimum08
02-18-2006, 10:15 AM
400lbs isnt that heavy w/ double overhand... now if he was doing 500 that would be pretty crazy.

in my book 400 with a double overhand is pretty d*mn good...but my grip is pretty much sh*t and always my weak point in my deads...

Songsangnim
02-19-2006, 03:21 AM
Do you use straps, hook grip, or just have an amazing grip?

I can do around 350-400 (depending on energy levels that particular day) no straps. I have gone heavier, but I require straps for that. I am a big believer in doing grip work though. Farmer's walk, static holds, partial deadlifts, B-deadlift (a combination of static hold and the deadlift)...until recently I used to devote a day to grip work alone.(did that for just over a year). Now I train it after deadlifts.

KevinStarke
02-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Grip work is awesome, makes your forearms biiiiig too.

Chubrock
02-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Grip work is awesome, makes your forearms biiiiig too.

Kevin, that's not the grip work. It's all the beatin off you do.

khari
02-19-2006, 10:59 AM

He's right though, mixed grip causes uneven spinal loading, which isn't healthy for the spine espescially if done consistantly.

Optimum08
02-19-2006, 12:05 PM
He's right though, mixed grip causes uneven spinal loading, which isn't healthy for the spine espescially if done consistantly.

if this is true...why haven't all the members who consistently use mixed grip have spine problems? all of your posts seem to have no backing whatsoever if you could point me to experimental and not anecdotal evidence of this "uneven spinal loading" then it would be better suited...:moon:

biggimp
02-19-2006, 08:13 PM
man, stand there with both your hands at your sides in double overhand. then open one of your hands so its mixed grip. notice how you upper arm hardly even moves? if your shoulders dont even change position from double overhand to mixed how is that going to change anything that happens to your back? i lifted mixed grip for two years, of heavy deadlifting. i have never even had an ache in my back.

the reason some people probably injure their backs when they switch from double overhand to mixed is because they can suddenly hold more weight, and they start deadlifting heavier weights than they used to, but with bad form because their cores arent ready for the increased weight.

ShockBoxer
02-19-2006, 08:35 PM
If I don't watch it my dominant side will get to lockout first when I'm using a mixed grip. That's where that side of my back tells me to eat **** and die. Maybe that's what was meant by uneven spinal loading?

Songsangnim
02-19-2006, 09:34 PM
man, stand there with both your hands at your sides in double overhand. then open one of your hands so its mixed grip. notice how you upper arm hardly even moves? if your shoulders dont even change position from double overhand to mixed how is that going to change anything that happens to your back? i lifted mixed grip for two years, of heavy deadlifting. i have never even had an ache in my back.

the reason some people probably injure their backs when they switch from double overhand to mixed is because they can suddenly hold more weight, and they start deadlifting heavier weights than they used to, but with bad form because their cores arent ready for the increased weight.

As I pointed out in my post above, I was using LIGHTER weight with a mixed grip than with double overhand and I STILL hurt my back. Like I said most people will become conditioned over time. But to assume nobody will have a problem (or only because they lift with poor form or increased weight) is unwarranted.