PDA

View Full Version : my bulking experience - help!

EricCartman
02-01-2006, 12:02 AM
When i started my bulk, I was 32 years old, 165 lbs, 6 ft. I decided to bulk for about 3 months, following exactly the basic wbb1 workout recommended on this site, and no cardio at all. I ate mostly healthy foods, no junk food, but i did eat a lot of peanut butter, whole milk, and red meat. I dont count calories, but I would say that I ate at least 3000 calories a day, I ate a lot, whenever I was hungry I'd eat.

3 months later I weigh 190 lbs! But a ton of it is fat, and I only notice a slight improvement in muscle mass, and about a 20 lb increase in strength (ie bicep curl went from 20 to 40 lbs etc)... my stomach is waay huge and I look like a dork with slightly bigger muscles. I followed the routines exactly, I'm not sure what went wrong here, but I think it could take me 4-6 months to lose the fat.

Is that typical, 3 months bulking, 6 months cutting? Seems a lot of work for these minor gains. Or is that normal?

Cartman

Built
02-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, at your age, natural, a 2-lb a month muscle gain would be good.

So, if you gained 25 lbs to gain 6 lbs of muscle, then ... um... you went a little overboard.

Maybe bulk a little slower next time.

Need any help cutting?

EricCartman
02-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Bulk SLOWER, what do you mean exactly? Just eat less?

brickt.
02-01-2006, 03:30 AM
Yeh, eating less.

Search for 'Clean Bulking' or 'Lean Bulking.'

You seem to know what to eat, so it's about how much you need to grow without putting on unnessessary fat. Start an account on www.fitday.com & start tracking, man!

NiNJA Edits: Do you want to continue gaining weight (ideally alot more muscle this time around) or switch to a fat loss regime?

Well, at your age, natural, a 2-lb a month muscle gain would be good

I know that age has a huge factor in growth potential, but couldn't he expect a little better gains than that? Even if his bulk was sloppy as ****, I can't imagine him not gaining atleast 10lb of muscle from that 25lb total. if you right, 'tho, that kinda sucks... GO AAS POWAH!!

eatit
02-01-2006, 10:28 AM
sounds like you used bulking as an excuse to pig out. Track your caloric intake a little more carefully and only add calories slowly as you think you need them. A pound of muscle only requires 1200-2400 calories of to build. According to Lyle McDonald you should only be about 175-350 cals over maint. each day to build a pound of muscle.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28235&postcount=60

Cutting shouldn't take you that long depending on what method you go about trying to achieve your weight loss.

Edit: also, careful with that peanut butter.... those calories add up fast (and it's sooooo goooooodddd....)

Unreal
02-01-2006, 10:37 AM
If you didn't track calories, then thats your biggest mistake. If you want to take this seriously, then that is the 1st step.

Smilingdonkey
02-01-2006, 05:08 PM
I am having the exact opposite results. I am a 32yr old male 6'0 started at roughly 138lbs and am now 158.5lbs. I am making huge strength and muscle gains. I am consuming roughly 4500+ calories a day. My midsection has gained some fat, but definately not like what your reporting. Can you post your workout routine?

EricCartman
02-02-2006, 02:35 PM
You might be right, I ate every 2 hours, tons of peanut butter whenever I wanted, I probably went at least 1,000 over maintenance each day,...

hard to say how much of the 25 lb gain is muscle, I stuck pretty strictly to the WBB1 regime... yes, I'd like help cutting, any suggestions? I am doing well so far doing the same workout but eating a lot less... I have lost 3 lbs already... no cardio yet..

EC

Skinny Fat
02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
f-i-t-d-a-y.

There's a reason every single thread about diet on this board has somebody mentioning that website. That is the single best thing you can do for yourself. Set up a free account, and count your nutrients.

Less peanut butter, potatoes, and beef, more fish and chicken, my friend.

Sug
02-04-2006, 01:23 AM
I used to bulk on 3500 calories when I was 150lbs, and my gut grew huge and I'd weigh 156 on a good day. I was wondering why Im gaining weight but no mass. Problem was that was all PM calories, like right before I go to sleep. So this time around I switched that all up and workout in the mid afternoon and get about 2700 calories in before 5pm, then 2 more meals later in the day/night to get to 4000-4300. Gained 12lbs no major gut extension and noticable size increase and poundages goin up. :strong:

AzBboy
02-04-2006, 01:31 PM
If you didn't track calories, then thats your biggest mistake. If you want to take this seriously, then that is the 1st step.

THANK YOU, I wish more people understood that.