PDA

View Full Version : OH Squats vs. Windmills

Meat_Head
02-01-2006, 11:38 AM
They are pretty similar exercises, but which do you all consider superior for overall strength, fitness, and athleticism? You can use more weight and possibly progress easier with OH squats, but they don't work the core and develop balance as well as windmills. Opinions?

ArchAngel777
02-01-2006, 11:39 AM
They are pretty similar exercises, but which do you all consider superior for overall strength, fitness, and athleticism? You can use more weight and possibly progress easier with OH squats, but they don't work the core and develop balance as well as windmills. Opinions?

I am sure we could argue for a long time as to which ones are better. There isn't a real clear cut way to determine what is better. I would prefer overhead squats myself, but I would advise anyone to do them both. Just switch them in and out evey week. That way you don't miss anything.

MixmasterNash
02-01-2006, 11:51 AM
They are VERY different.

Sensei
02-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Personally, I consider both to be auxiliary, "fun" exercises. They're both good exercises, but not central to powerlifting, or even Olympic lifting.

I think that if you had a football team full of guys who could OH squat bodyweight for reps, you'd, no doubt, have a bunch of strong SOBs. I'm not sure that doing OH squats is necessarily the best way to train them though...

Anthony
02-01-2006, 01:17 PM
or even Olympic lifting.

OHS is pretty important for oly lifts.

Meat_Head
02-01-2006, 01:49 PM
They are VERY different.

How so? I may not understand the form on windmills enough...

Sensei
02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
OHS is pretty important for oly lifts.
Sure it is, but there are a lot of Olympic level OLers that don't do them religiously in their training.

MixmasterNash
02-01-2006, 03:31 PM
How so? I may not understand the form on windmills enough...

Well, it's rotational versus forward stability for your core, and you have more movement in your shoulders with the windmills, to say nothing of the fact that you're leaning over versus squatting.

ArchAngel777
02-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Well, it's rotational versus forward stability for your core, and you have more movement in your shoulders with the windmills, to say nothing of the fact that you're leaning over versus squatting.

Right. In many ways it is like the comparison between Dead Lifting & Squatting

MixmasterNash
02-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, I would say that the hip motion in a windmill is like a good morning more than anything.

Chubrock
02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree with Mix. A properly done windmill is very much different from an OH squat, with really one of the only similarities being that the weight is being extended over the top.

ericg
02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I agree. Check out the vids in Sensei's signature for a good comparison.

dw06wu
02-02-2006, 01:12 PM
If I had to pick one, I'd pick windmills since I already do back squats. Not to discount OH squats or anything.

Sensei
02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I agree. Check out the vids in Sensei's signature for a good comparison.
I'll try to put a new windmill clip in there asap. The clip I have is THE FIRST time I'd ever done them and my form is pretty bad...

Meat_Head
02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Right. In many ways it is like the comparison between Dead Lifting & Squatting

Deadlifts and squats are very comparable(depending on your form). Deadlifts are simply squatting while holding the weight. If you can squat big, you can deadlift big and vice versa. A little off topic, but that's my opinion.

Thanks for the input guys, any website that shows the proper form for windmills?

MixmasterNash
02-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Right click and save as...
http://www.groundfighter.com/uploads/videos/Kettlebell%20Windmills%20Clip.WMV

TripleD
02-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Sure it is, but there are a lot of Olympic level OLers that don't do them religiously in their training.
If they do snatches then they are basically doing overhead squats.

Sensei
02-02-2006, 11:30 PM
If they do snatches then they are basically doing overhead squats.NO WAY! Really? Yes, I know. The point I was trying to make is that many OLers don't dedicate time to bringing up their overhead squatting strength (i.e. the snatch recovery) with overhead squats...

Sensei
02-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Here's a clip from yesterday's training - it includes a couple sets of good mornings and some windmills. http://media.putfile.com/GMs--Windmills

edit: btw, the t-shirt I'm wearing is two sizes too small and it reads "I GOT YOUR TICKETS TO THE GUN SHOW" with arrows pointing to my arms :)