PDA

View Full Version : Being Sick...

intargc
02-02-2006, 09:01 AM
So, I picked up some weird stomach virus. It started last week sometime when I'd be eating lunch and after lunch I would get sick feeling and my stomach would start to hurt. Actually, I don't even know if this is related. At first I thought it was the milk. Since I'm already slightly lactose intolerant and take lactaid with every glass of milk (although cheese and other diary products don't bother me.) Then I thought since I drink milk at other times of the day with no problems, it was the peanut butter or jelly from my sandwiches... I can't figure it out.

Anyway, on Monday I was feeling nasty all day. I was hitting the bathroom every 10 minutes. Tuesday it went full force and I started throwing up. I tried to have a piece of bread with PB, Oats and a protein shake with milk that morning because I thought I felt better, but it all came back up around noon. Wednesday I actually was able to have some crappy chicken noodle soup although I didn't eat a bite of the chicken because the chicken in any canned soup is rubbery and disgusting. For dinner I felt even better so I had some cheese tortellini with sauce. That was all I felt like eating for some reason.

This morning I still feel sick. I jumped on the scale and I'm down from 173 to 168 from just 3 days... That doesn't make me feel any better, of course. The only thing I can stomach really is water, ginger ale, jello and soup and saltines ..

Does anyone have any suggestions for diet during a sick time like this? It's getting ridiculous. Am I just screwed and I have to start back over when I start feeling better?

ArchAngel777
02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
My suggestion is that you listen to your body during times of sickness. Stuffing yourself with food isn't what your body wants right now. It wants to focus on curing whatever it is you have. In fact, you could make yourself more sick if you are trying to eat normal during those times.

If you are not hungry, it stands to reason that your body doesn't think it needs food. It has more important things to worry about it, like healing your body.

intargc
02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Very good advice... I'm definitely not stuffing myself when I don't feel hungry. Last night when I had the Tortellini I was very hungry and some pasta with sauce sounded wonderful to me (and it was). However, this morning I'm feeling pretty gross again and wasn't hungry so I didn't have anything for breakfast and I'm just sipping on some water.

I just hate the idea of losing the weight I've worked so hard to get... I mean, if I was losing all the weight in my stomach and keeping the muscle, I'd love it. ;) But, of course, that's not the case here! So I'm kind of panicing because seeing that I lost 5 lbs already freaks me out since I know I probably won't be better until the end of this week.

ArchAngel777
02-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Sometimes it is two steps forward, one step back... Just the way life is, unfortunately.

Davidelmo
02-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Yep it completely sucks being ill.

Happened to me and I lost about 5 lbs in 3 days too... SO frustrating!

ddegroff
02-02-2006, 10:02 AM
the 5lbs of weight you lost is most likely water weight anyway. let your body run its course to get better, and you'll be back where you were in no time.

Anthony
02-02-2006, 10:11 AM
the 5lbs of weight you lost is most likely water weight anyway

Ding ding. :thumbup:

intargc
02-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah... I guess that's right since it was nothing but water coming out of me for the past 3 days anyway. ;)

eatit
02-02-2006, 11:33 AM
i wouldn't sweat it. it pretty much is just all water.

you could eat really plain basic foods to help stop some weight loss though.

Rice i find is great when i'm sick or bananas. I've never tried a protein drink but i'd imagine if it were just a water and whey mix it'd settle pretty easily.

number one tip is to keep hydrated and get tons of rest.

g00dnick
02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Same with me...been in the hospital all week...lost about 6 pounds. Should be all water weight though...hopefully i'll be back to my normal weight in a few days.