PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and Cardio

dd2000
02-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey all,

Im trying to bulk up this winter. I have been experimenting with my routines and just started a new routine this week.
Several mths back I was around 165-170 lbs at 5'11". Im up to 189LBS right now. Problem is, most of the weight gained is fat and I noticed that my stomach got bigger. I want to bulk for a few more mths and then lean down a bit (going to join thai boxing which has very intense cardio)

Thing is I want to reach about 200+ lbs before I train b/c I don't want to be too skinny (im still pretty skinny b/c most of my fat is in my stomach area)

I do minimal cardio (10 mins after each workout and 5 mins before workout).

So im thinking about doing a bit more cardio so I can try to trim down my stomach a bit. What do you guys think? I eat the right foods (most of the time) chicken, steak, eggs, tuna, oats, etc etc. I cheat at times bc of my really fast metabolism but it looks like it caught up to me..

I train hard at the gym, what do you guys think im doing wrong? Do you guys experience this as well (to the guys bulking) I need to gain some more muscle mass.
I used to have a really flat stomach before b/c I was skinny as hell.

What do you guys recommend?

I also just started creatine 1 mth ago, maybe this can be the cause as well but I did have a stomach before I went on it anyway.

Built
02-04-2006, 12:44 AM
It's not the creatine, and cardio will go counter to your goals.

You may be eating the right stuff, but if you're getting too fat, you're simply eating too much.

Sorry!

dd2000
02-04-2006, 12:48 AM
too much..?

Thing is im not packing on a lot of muscle, just fat. It's really weird, im hitting the gym hard and very very constant. Take my protein shakes, eat every 2-3 hrs, etc etc.

Im eating a lot bc im really skinny (still am) I want to hit 200+lbs in my bulking phase but I don't want to look like a potato at the same time. Maybe i'll add 10 mins of cardio after my workout and see what happens..

Built
02-04-2006, 01:02 AM
You aren't listening to me.

I'm not making this up.

What is your split like - can you describe it to me?

dd2000
02-04-2006, 01:06 AM
New Routine:

day 1-Quad emphasis, hip light
Squats 5x5
Bulgarian split squats 4x8
SLDL's 3x10
Leg press 3x10
Abs/calves

Day 2 - Vertical press horizontal pull emphasis
standing military presses 5x5
Bent over rows 4x8
Dumbbell chest incline presses (high incline) 4x8
Face Pulls 3x10
Hammer curls 3x10
forearms/traps

Day 3 - off

Day 4 - Hip emphasis quads light
Deadlift 5x5
Good mornings 4x8
lunges 3x10
GHRs 3x10
abs/calves

Day 5 - Horizontal press vertical pull emphasis
Bench press 5x5
Pull-up 4x8
Dumbbell chest incline presses (low incline) 4x8
Dips 3x10
Pulldowns 3x10
cuff/forearms

days 6 and 7:rest

PREVIOUS ROUTINE:

Mon - Legs
Wed - Chest/tris
Fri - Back/bis
Sat- Shoulders/Forearms

brickt.
02-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Hah, it's a bastardised BGB.

If you are gaining only fat and little muscle, you are either 1) eating way too much 2) not training hard enough.

Although, I'm 99% sure it's cuz you're eating too much.

dd2000
02-04-2006, 01:16 AM
bastardised BGB :S what the heck is that?

I can try to cut on the food I suppose, I won't gain a single pound though. With my metabolism, if I skip a few meals a day I will literally drop weight which is not really what I want b/c im too skinny.

Built
02-04-2006, 02:09 AM
Baby Got Back. My split lol

You need to track your calories. You don't need to cut back MUCH, just SOME.

Trying to control your fat gain with cardio is haphazard at best.

wheels
02-04-2006, 02:13 AM
You aren't listening to me.

I'm not making this up.

um let me point out your first 2 mistakes

1) you did not listen to built
2) everyone now has to repeat what she said because you didnt listen

your caloric intake for a day probably far exceeds the energy burnt

solution :
eat less or work HARDER

sexy2002svt
02-04-2006, 10:30 AM
^^yeah, i always heard that if you are trying to bulk/gain weight, that you should be doing no cardio work at all.

AzBboy
02-04-2006, 01:19 PM
You can do cardio, just gotta eat to make up cals burnt during your session. I do regular cardio and still gain each week.

gator
02-04-2006, 02:14 PM
You can do cardio, just gotta eat to make up cals burnt during your session. I do regular cardio and still gain each week.
Say you burn off 400 cals in a cardio session and you know your going to be burning that many cals. Would it be wise to eat right before and/or after you workout to make sure your body isn't eating away at the muscle.

brickt.
02-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Eat before, and after. Never do anything other than brisk walking on an empty stomach.

eps
02-04-2006, 05:03 PM
You need cardio. If your heart isn't fit, then you certainly will not be able to train worth **** in the gym. Furthermore, you need a stronger heart to handle the weight gain after a bulk is done (whether or not the weight was lean/fat/both). Keep the cardio light/moderate and eat enough to make up for lost calories.

wheels
02-04-2006, 07:24 PM
i know .. i have learned and i was wrong .... cardio is need but not at intense level and/or is not bad if you replace the calories sorry for the bad info earlier

TKoziol
02-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Would it be better to do your cardio on a day you weren't lifting?

Built
02-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Probably, yeah.

spectre3
02-05-2006, 05:42 PM
what about hiit? i thought i read an article by maki on high intesity interval training a while ago. can't find it now. but i think it related to burning fat while training.

getfit
02-05-2006, 05:45 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=165

Sisay
02-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Just a thought here. If all your calories are going to fat and your muscles aren't growing, maybe you're overtraining. That, or maybe you just hit a plateau. I wouldn't recommend cardio more than you're doing if you're bulking. I'd wait this out another two weeks, see if things change with your current routine.

wheels
02-05-2006, 05:54 PM
nice article