PDA

View Full Version : is cardio bad?

JamesBOMB
02-04-2006, 07:27 AM
how much will it hinder my gains if im doing 4 sessions of 30mins cardio a week? i need to lose about 30lbs but am getting really nice gains at the moment and dont want to lose them

accuFLEX
02-04-2006, 08:02 AM
I did 40min cardio for 6 months, lost 30lbs and gain a lot of strength.

I think that if you need to lose 30lbs, then lose it and dont worry to much about your strength

Jinkies
02-04-2006, 08:09 AM
It depends on the type of cardio some can get you stronger, I did football drills like bearcrawling and jump rope and i got quicker and stronger while losing some fat in the process. Lifting heavy burns fat off too though but if you wanna do some cardio and your scared of losing muscle then go run 40's. Lots of intensity in a short time will work nicely, 3 minutes of jumprope and im tired.

Gabrielle
02-05-2006, 05:53 PM
no it is good for your heart, but I personally hate cardio

Sisay
02-05-2006, 05:57 PM
If you eat enough calories to supplement your cardio workout, then the energy won't break down your muscles, it will come from your intake. Basically, eat enough and you'll be fine.

Meat_Head
02-06-2006, 10:35 AM
I think that if you need to lose 30lbs, then lose it and dont worry to much about your strength

Wow... that's definately one of the top 10 pieces of stupid training advice I've heard here.

Wana loose weight? Lift heavy and adjust your diet. That's all there is to it.

ArchAngel777
02-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Some form of cardio is recomended to stay in decent shape for endurance type training, but you do not need it to lose fat. However, I do highly recomend doing some form of cardio, just not to overdo it. Sometimes a short (12-20 minute) HIIT session does enough to release that oh so natural drug of 'me feel good'... Personally, doing cardio twice a week should be enough to to keep the heart healthy and the body effecient...

Davidelmo
02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Some form of cardio is recomended to stay in decent shape for endurance type training, but you do not need it to lose fat. However, I do highly recomend doing some form of cardio, just not to overdo it. Sometimes a short (12-20 minute) HIIT session does enough to release that oh so natural drug of 'me feel good'... Personally, doing cardio twice a week should be enough to to keep the heart healthy and the body effecient...

Exactly.

Cardio is a good idea because if you are fat and overweight then you probably aren't very fit anyway. Cardio will improve your heart, lungs and endurance etc.

You don't *need* it to help lose fat but it helps. However, controlling your diet is much more effective. Do you know how long it takes to run off that extra 300kcal chocolate bar?

JamesBOMB
02-06-2006, 12:06 PM
i dont ever eat chocolate or chips or any sort of junk food...well not unless i go out for a chinese meal or something which is very rare

my diet lately looks something like this

breakfast- tin of sardines with two pieces of brown bread
two bananas 30-40 mins before workout

workout followed by 50g protein shake

lunch- tin of tuna, maybe few pieces of beef or chicken

snack - protein shake

dinner - chicken and rice or pasta

hour or two later - another tin of tuna, few more pieces of chicken or whatever is in the fridge

I lift heavy 4 times a week, usually hour sessions, ive been told to not do cardio before i lift as it will use up my energy but ive also been told not to do cardio after lifting, because it will use up the energy my muscles need to grow

Davidelmo
02-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Looks pretty good but it's hard to tell.

You look low in fats though. Fats don't make you fat and they're essential for proper function of your body.

www.fitday.com

Enter all of that stuff up and post the total calories, as well as protein, carbs and fats.

JamesBOMB
02-06-2006, 12:27 PM
about 2400 calories, 33g of fat, 305 g of carbs and 200 g of protein

Davidelmo
02-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Fat is ridiculously low.

Add olive oil, peanuts, flax seed oil etc for healthy fats

I'd shoot for ~100g at your size (assuming your sig is correct)

JamesBOMB
02-06-2006, 01:00 PM
nope im on my mates account cos im too lazy to register, im 6 2", 255lb

Built
02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Yep. More fats to be sure. 100g sounds about right.

JamesBOMB
02-06-2006, 02:26 PM
ok thats cool, when is best to do cardio? before or after my workout? or shall i do it ona different day to the days i am lifting?

getfit
02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
you can do cardio after lifting and on a seperate day from lifting.I do 10/12 minutes of cardio after i lift

Behemoth
02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
As far as general health is concerned it is better for you than weightlifting. As far as getting huge is concerned, it is very easy to hinder your optimal gains with it. To call it bad is absurd. And most people on this site (myself included) choose getting huge over a program designed for peak health.

Built
02-06-2006, 06:02 PM
As far as general health is concerned it is better for you than weightlifting.
Care to explain this one?

wheels
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM

please do

as far is i know cardio works the heart and resperitory system too an extent i dont think that it makes it better then body building arent they sort of like a couple .... you could have a great cardiovascular system and still be a weakling or overwieght

JamesBOMB
02-06-2006, 06:26 PM
As far as general health is concerned it is better for you than weightlifting. As far as getting huge is concerned, it is very easy to hinder your optimal gains with it. To call it bad is absurd. And most people on this site (myself included) choose getting huge over a program designed for peak health.

yea sorry i should have named the thread something different. By "bad" i meant what you have just said...i.e hindering my optimal gains..to me that is bad
but obviously cardio as a whole can only be good for your physical health

Built
02-06-2006, 06:41 PM

"Most surprising is that exercise can have no effect at all on some people. Dr. Claude Bouchard, Executive Director of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, discovered early in his career that there's enormous variation in how people respond to cardiovascular exercise, with some not responding at all. His current research is aimed at discovering the genetic roots of this phenomenon. Dr. Eric Hoffman, Director of the Research Center for Genetic Medicine at the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC, has found a similar phenomenon with muscle. Both say, however, that there are health benefits with exercise, even if cardiovascular fitness and strength don't improve. "

wheels
02-06-2006, 06:50 PM

"Most surprising is that exercise can have no effect at all on some people. Dr. Claude Bouchard, Executive Director of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, discovered early in his career that there's enormous variation in how people respond to cardiovascular exercise, with some not responding at all. His current research is aimed at discovering the genetic roots of this phenomenon. Dr. Eric Hoffman, Director of the Research Center for Genetic Medicine at the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC, has found a similar phenomenon with muscle. Both say, however, that there are health benefits with exercise, even if cardiovascular fitness and strength don't improve. "

Ms. Google :hello:

Built
02-06-2006, 06:53 PM
A buddy of mine emailed it to me today.

I thought it was interesting.

wheels
02-06-2006, 06:59 PM
it is :D

JamesBOMB
02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
ok i just gained 4lb in the last two days:( how on earth do people bulk on 5000cals a day ? i am doing only 2500-3000 and gained 4 lb in two days!!!

ArchAngel777
02-08-2006, 11:43 AM
ok i just gained 4lb in the last two days:( how on earth do people bulk on 5000cals a day ? i am doing only 2500-3000 and gained 4 lb in two days!!!

The way I see it, body weight can fluctuate as much as 10 pounds without it being anything but water. Your 4 pounds could be from 2 quarts of water. Now you say "I didn't drink that much extra water" true, but you may have retained it over several days.

The best advice I can give is stick to the plan and then check weight at same periods during the day (morning works best for most people) and only once every 2 weeks or so.

MJS
02-08-2006, 11:57 AM
lunch- tin of tuna, maybe few pieces of beef or chicken

hour or two later - another tin of tuna, few more pieces of chicken or whatever is in the fridge

Careful James. Just to let you know I have been reading more and more scientific evidence that says that the lead and magnesium in Tuna can cause brain problems. Seriously. They say to limit big fish (tuna, shark, etc) to twice a week. Try salmon for a change.... yummmm

JamesBOMB
02-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Careful James. Just to let you know I have been reading more and more scientific evidence that says that the lead and magnesium in Tuna can cause brain problems. Seriously. They say to limit big fish (tuna, shark, etc) to twice a week. Try salmon for a change.... yummmm

yea i heard about that too but figured id only be affected with huge quantities, but fair enough i will try different fish instead

and as for my weight, i weigh myself in the mornings after my morning crap n pi$$, i weigh 255lb everyday for the last couple of weeks, i tried to up my fat the last couple of days, had some peanut butter on toast and bits and have put on 4 lbs

how many cals daily would u suggest for a cut? i could cut down to like 100g of protein and 1500cals? i dont want to be losing muscle mass though

MJS
02-08-2006, 12:24 PM
how many cals daily would u suggest for a cut? i could cut down to like 100g of protein and 1500cals? i dont want to be losing muscle mass though

Oh man, big mistake! You said that you weigh 255? Minimum caloric intake for a cut would be: your body weight * 15. Therefore, 225*15 = 3375. Subtract 500 for a cut, so 2775. Minimum. No exceptions. 100g of protein.. NO! 255g minimum. 1500 calories - you will DEFINITELY loose strength and size. Do some research on cutting diets; but definitely heed this advice. I doubt anyone will contest.

Just curious, at 1500 calories, what is your diet? How many meals?

NormalDude
02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh man, big mistake! You said that you weigh 255? Minimum caloric intake for a cut would be: your body weight * 15. Therefore, 225*15 = 3375. Subtract 500 for a cut, so 2775. Minimum. No exceptions. 100g of protein.. NO! 255g minimum. 1500 calories - you will DEFINITELY loose strength and size. Do some research on cutting diets; but definitely heed this advice. I doubt anyone will contest.

Well I am no expert but thats not the best way to go to determine how many cals you intake. I believe you need to track your maintenace cals using something like fitday.com and then subtract a few hundred a week until you start to lose weight.

JamesBOMB
02-08-2006, 12:30 PM

i really dont get how ive put on weight then, i posted my typical diet up earlier in teh thread, i only usually get about 2700-3000ish cals and about 170-200g of protein
i do have about 40lbs of fat that i need to lose but i dont seem to be able to shift it, theres no way i could get near 255g of protein id simply put on wayy too much fat my metabolism is too slow

MJS
02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
you definitely need the protein - its critical. It is what muscle fibres are made of. You need it. If you have 40lbs of fat that you need to cut there are ways around it - other than starving yourself (which is literally what 1500 cals is doing to you).

For starters - take the stairs. Everywhere. Even if its 20 floors that you have to do, walk as far as you can then take the elevator. Burns tons of calories.

Also, walk everywhere. "They" say that 20 minutes of walking for a 200lb man burns 150 calories. 255, probably closer to 175 is my guess. That can really add up.

Do the eliptical machine at the gym. High level of resistence, low RPM. Keep your heart rate at about 135 - about 70% of a theoretical maximum for a 21 year old. Do that for about 20 minutes and you will be shocked when you see that you have burned over 250 calories. You can do this pre and post workout - 500 calories.

So say, theoretically, you walk up 20 flights of stairs a day and walk outside or wherever for 30 minutes a day and do 40 total minutes of fat burning exercise on the eliptical you could burn around 800 calories - probably 500 or so of fat. A pound of fat is 3500 calories, so a pound a week! Simple.

JamesBOMB
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
but alot of people have said to try n keep cardio to a minimum ? like only 30mins 4 times a week? i dont mind doing LOADS, i did 30mins crosstrainer today kept my heart rate at about 130-135 and burned about 320 cals, but i dont wanna push it too hard n start killing off my muscle?

also if i do more cardio i am therefore burning off cals meaning i therefore have to take in more cals to build up muscle?

MJS
02-09-2006, 04:01 AM
If you don't mind doing the cardio - do the cardio. As said, keep the RPMs low and the resistence high. As with any cutting routine, some muscle will be lost. I would suggest searching "cutting routine" in the search engine for some help. Tons of people have claimed to have found ways to cut while at least maintaining gains. I am not quite sure I believe all gains can be maintained but hey, I guess anything is possible. Good luck.

ArchAngel777
02-09-2006, 08:29 AM
If you don't mind doing the cardio - do the cardio. As said, keep the RPMs low and the resistence high. As with any cutting routine, some muscle will be lost. I would suggest searching "cutting routine" in the search engine for some help. Tons of people have claimed to have found ways to cut while at least maintaining gains. I am not quite sure I believe all gains can be maintained but hey, I guess anything is possible. Good luck.

Lifts where you are using your own body weight will likely go up when you lose weight. If you are 10 pounds lighter, that is ten less pounds to squat.

A 400 pound fat ass that can squat 315 is stronger than a 200 pound person who can Squat 405. When doing lifts that do not include body weight, then body weight matters not, generally.

MJS
02-09-2006, 09:21 AM
A 400 pound fat ass that can squat 315 is stronger than a 200 pound person who can Squat 405. When doing lifts that do not include body weight, then body weight matters not, generally.

Can you explain this a bit more please? I don't quite follow.

Built
02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
The fat ass is squatting his body (or at least part of it) as well as the iron.

MJS
02-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Wow I am thick. Thanks Built.

Behemoth
02-09-2006, 04:27 PM

You'll find studies that go either way. I didn't say bodybuilding was unhealthy. If you believe bodybuilding is better for overhealth in the grand scheme of things thats your view. But if my only goal was to live to be 100 getting jacked would have very little to do with it.