PDA

View Full Version : carb cycling question...

thajeepster
02-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Im going to start carb cycling starting on monday. I will also start the 5x5 sf routine. I was wondering, if I am going to train first thing in the morning, would it be wise to have my high carb days the day before or the day of training?

Should I use those carbs to fuel my workout (the day before) or use them for recovery (day of) ?

I was thinking of this

Su (Lo) Mon (Hi) Tues (Low) Wed (Hi) Thu (Low) Fri (Hi) Sat (Low)

training on MON WED FRI

Thoughts?

f=ma
02-04-2006, 02:34 PM
i dont know if you read the article on t-nation or not but it was advised to have 2 high carb days on 2 primary lift days.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783

the diet, meal and timing setup is towards the bottom of his article.. im doing the same thing basically starting monday

cphafner
02-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I would do them on your workout days.

cphafner
02-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm also not sure why you would do 5x5 on a carb cycle.

thajeepster
02-04-2006, 03:19 PM
i dont know if you read the article on t-nation or not but it was advised to have 2 high carb days on 2 primary lift days.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783

the diet, meal and timing setup is towards the bottom of his article.. im doing the same thing basically starting monday

yeah, i read that, but Im doing a simplified version 4 low, 3 high.

However, How should I eat to have enough energy for my lifts if they are first thing in the morning? Should I have a decent amount of carbs for dinner the night before? Or should I have some dex/malto 15-30 mins pre for energy?

Built
02-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Okay - if you can possibly manage this - knock back a whey shake with powdered oats first thing in the AM.

Sip a dilute whey and dex shake DURING.

Post workout shake, then solid food for the rest of the day.

Personally, I'd like to see solid food in you before you train (eggs...) but if you simply cannot get it into you early enough, then do what I've suggested.

thajeepster
02-04-2006, 04:19 PM
thanks for the reply built...

I was going to go about that route... but I was curious as to whether a whey/oats shake first thing would be digested quick enough to do me any good. I was thinking half a whey/dex shake immediately prewo, another half heavily diluted in water during, and then a big breakfast as soon as I get home (within 45 mins).

EDIT: Although I probably need some real food in there pre wo somehow. Time is a factor though, I work til midnight, sleep from about 1AM til 9AM, wake up, train, get home eat breakfast, prepare my meals for the day, then go to college, then work, then the cycle starts all over again. Yeah, life sucks right now, but thats what the weekends are for right :D

Built
02-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Do you eat before you sleep?

thajeepster
02-04-2006, 05:02 PM
just protein and fats. but yeah.

either casein protein/yogurt/pb or cottage cheese and pb.

brickt.
02-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Make a shake with oats/whey/pb and leave it in the fridge, when you get up to pee at 3am or so, down that aswell. Then when you get up, another shake with 50/50 ground oats and dex/malto with whey, then hit them gym 30 mins later or so.

Built
02-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Ooooohh - great idea brickt!

thajeepster
02-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I dont know about 3 am, but maybe I can wake up at 7 or 8, have the shake and go back to sleep for an hour or two, then wake up go train around 9. Should I still have another shake pre wo? something small like 20g whey/ 20g dex? My PWO is usually 40g dex 40g malto and 40g protein from whey. Could I just divy that up and drink a little pre/during and down the rest pwo?

brickt.
02-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Yeah, 3am would be with my personal schedule, your '3am' might be 5,6,7am, whatever.