PDA

View Full Version : Chris's Journal

Pages : [1] 2 3

offhegoes03
02-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey everyone. I'm new to this board and figured I'd start posting my workouts in case anyone had ideas for improvement, etc. I'm a junior in college and I've only been lifting for about a year (although that got interrupted in the summer, so i've been lifting the most this past semester). I feel that I've been making a decent amount of progress considering it's sometimes hard to eat the best food in college. Here's my current diet:

-Morning(9:30 am during the week): Eggs (scrambled, probably about 3-4 egg's worth), A couple Hard Boiled Eggs (remove the yolks - the white still has protein in it, just without all the fat, correct), water, milk (2%)
-Early Afternoon (12-1 pm): Peanut butter sandwhich on wheat, hamburger or turkey/ham sandwhich (i know lunchmeats aren't the best, but it's what I have to work with at the time)
-Mid Afternoon (4 pm): Tuna Fish Sandwhich on Wheat
-Dinner (6-7pm): Similar to Early afternoon lunch, maybe some cereal thrown in there (wheaties with skim milk)
-Evening Snack(10pm): Another sandwhich.. either tuna or peanut butter

I'd really like to have about 6-7 small meals throughout the day, but this seems to work for me without me feeling way too full. In addition I take 2-3 protein shakes a day (20 g of protein per shake), multi-vitamin, and glutamine.

I just started eating more meals and shakes within the past 2 months and I've seen pretty good gains as far as weight goes. I'm 5'8" and I was never able to get much higher than 135 lbs (I ran cross country and track in high school and casually ran in college). I think I was burning too many calories a day and not taking in enough, so I started trying to eat more meals, etc. Right now I am about 143 lbs. Not bad for 2 months work, but I'd definitely like to put on some more pounds. My goal is about 155 by the end of the semester and I think it's pretty reasonable.

Recently I've been doing a workout where I go 2 days on, one day off, 2 days on, one day off, etc. I split the workout into chest/back, legs/abs, and biceps/triceps/shoulders/forearms. However, sometimes I'd have a chest day right after a day I did arms and although my arms weren't sore, I felt tired doing bench presses (i think my triceps were tired). So here is the routine I think I'm going to start trying to follow:

Day 1: Chest
-Flat bench press (currently I can do about 170 for 4 reps)
-Incline dumbbell press (55 or 60's in each hand)
-Cable Flys or Dumbbell flys (alternate between them)
-Dips (starting to add weights to really work the muscles)
-Decline bench press (haven't done this in a while, but I'm going to try to start throwing it in there again)

Day 2: Triceps
-Cable push downs (both rope (100 lbs) and angled bar (120-130 lbs))
-Skull crushers (bar + 15-20 lbs)
-bench dips (weighted +25 lbs)

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Legs/Abs (never really worked on legs until this past month since I had always run)
-Squats (just started doing these, so I do about 5x8 115lbs (really trying to make sure I get the form down right before I increase the weight. This weight is really doable though, so I'm sure I can move it up a little bit as I do more of these)
-Seated calf raises (135 lbs 3x10)
-Lunges (45 lb dumbbells in each hand)
-seated leg curl (using one of those cybex machines, so I really don't know if the numbers will mean anything, but it's on the 110lb setting)
-standing calf raises (45 lb dumbbell in the same hand as the leg i'm working)
-1 or 2 ab exercises (decline with weight, etc.)

Day 5: Biceps/Shoulders/Forearms
-preacher curls (bar + 20 or 25 lbs on each side)
-pull ups (underhand grip.. not weighted yet, but i'll probably start adding weight soon)
-incline dumbell curls (seated with about 25 lb dumbbells in each hand)
-seated dumbell presses (50 lb dumbbells in each hand)
-shrugs (60 or 65 lb dumbbells in each hand)
-lateral raise (haven't tried this yet, but decided to add it in now that I'm changing my workout.. probably will do this with 20 lb dumbbells in each hand)
-dumbbell/ez curl wrist curls (both reverse and regular)

Day 6: Rest

Day 7: Back
-wide grip overhand pullups (work the lats.. haven't added weight yet, but I will soon)
-lat pull downs
-seated rows (using cable machine - 150 lbs plus some extra weights for the last set)
-bent over row (60 lb dumbbell)

Start over with day 1 and fill in the rest days so that the routine is 2 days on, 1 day off, etc. Also, this is not the order that I actually do the exercises in, but just a rough idea of what I'm doing. Also, this is not a really strict schedule because I'll take an extra day off if I'm feeling really sore. I will try to post pictures later. Any comments are appreciated.

Late March Measurements:
Chest : 38" (+.5)
Bicep: 14" (+.5)
Forearm: 11.5" (+.5)
Calf: 14.5" (+.5)

offhegoes03
02-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Alright, I said I'd post some pictures, so here are a couple. Let me know if they work or not. Anyways, I was looking over the workout that I came up with last night and I just don't thing that I will be able to get much out of doing each part only once a week. So I'm probably gonna go back to 3 different workouts that I cycle through. This time it will be chest/triceps, back/legs/some abs, biceps/shoulders/forearms. I think this might work well, so I'll let you know. Today I will be doing the arm workout since I did legs and abs yesterday. I'll post how the workout goes and what I did.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/majnalyd/detail?.dir=92a9&.dnm=12c0re2.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/majnalyd/detail?.dir=92a9&.dnm=8342re2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/majnalyd/detail?.dir=92a9&.dnm=1070re2.jpg&.src=ph

As you can see, I'd definitely like to see some improvement in the chest and arm area. But then again, I started off even skinnier, so I guess it will all come with time and eating more.

Coke
02-06-2006, 08:45 AM
You have a fine base to build upon...I suggest doing legs on their own, just a thought - Good luck Off.

offhegoes03
02-06-2006, 03:56 PM
edit: oh yeah, thanks for the advice CoCoa. Added what I ate today at the end.

Bicep/Forearm/Shoulder Day

1.) Underhand pull ups, narrow grip.

a. 15 pull ups, no added weight
b. 7 pull ups, +25 lbs
c. 6 pull ups, +25 lbs
d. 4 pull ups, +35 lbs

2.) lateral raises, 3x10 with 15 lbs in each hand. Never really did these, so I'm kinda getting used to it.

3.) standing alternate dumbbell curls
a. 14 (7 for each arm), 35lb dumbbells in each hand
b. 12 (6 each), 35lb
c. 10 (5 each), 35lb
This is the area where I feel like I'm constantly getting stuck. Should I go for lower reps while increasing weight? Like next time, shoudl I try to get 8 with 40 lb dumbbells?

4.) seated dumbbell press
3x8 with 45 lbs in each hand. usually I can do 50's in each hand, but the gym was crowded, so all I could use for back support was to lean against the preacher curl bench.

5.) preacher curl
a. 9 with bar + 20lbs on each side (that's 65 lbs total, right?)
b. 6 with bar + 22.5 lbs on each side (70 total)
c. 4 with bar + 22.5 lbs on each side (70 total)
after the last set, my forearms were kinda hurting.. not really sore, but felt like they couldn't really deal with that much on the preacher curl.. Maybe because I haven't done the preacher curl recently.

6.) Upright Rows on Smith Machine
2x8 with bar + 25lbs on each side - forearms were hurting on this too, so I decided to stop a little short and not increase the weight at all.

7.) did some forearm isolation exercises (wrist flexors and reverse wrist flexors), but I kept it low weight so that I wouldn't hurt my forearms anymore.

All in all it was a decent workout, but the forearm pain and the gym being crowded kinda made it a subpar workout. The forearm pain is gone now as of this post, so I think I was just straining it from the preacher curls.

Food today (about 3200-3500 calories)
Unfortunately since I'm a student, I have to get a lot of my protein from fattier foods. I signed up for fitday, so I've been keeping a rough estimate of what I'm eating on there. Here goes.

-Breakfast at 9:30 am: scrambled eggs (about 3 egg's worth) , 4 hardboiled eggs (just ate the -whites), about 12 oz of 2% milk (should I be drinking skim milk?), water
-Lunch at 12 pm: Roast beef sandwhich on wheat with a slice of swiss cheese, Turkey sandwhich on wheat with slice of cheese, followed lunch up with a shake with 20g of protein in it.
-Mid day snack around 2:30: Peanut butter sandwhich on wheat
-Worked out from 4:45-5:45 (pretty crowded in there) - followed workout with another shake with 20 g protein and 5 g glutamine.
-Dinner at 6:15: Ate a ham and swiss cheese sandwhich on wheat. Would have eaten more, but I had a IM floor hockey game to play at 6:45
-Following hockey game at 7:30: Peanut butter sandwhich on wheat, Ham sandwhich on wheat.
-I'll probably take another protein shake right before I go to bed.

So that's about it for today. I'd love to get some chicken in there, but there's not always chicken at the dining halls. I bought a bunch of tuna today, so I'll be including that in my diet tomorrow. Tomorrow's a rest day and then I'm gonna start up with chest and triceps on wednesday.

Coke
02-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Damn if you ain't got a lot to say, lol - a shaker/cup for a couple more protein drinks while at school may be all you need...the shoulder/bicep day looks fne Chris.

offhegoes03
02-07-2006, 07:05 AM
CoCoa:
hah thanks. I thought 3 shakes was enough. On fit day it said I was getting well over 250 g of protein. Anyways, I fiured since I'm just starting this up I'd put more detail in the posts, but once I have a few more posts under my belt, they'll probably be more concise.

offhegoes03
02-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Today was my day off, so I just ate all day.
Breakfast: 3-4 scrambled eggs, 4 hardboiled eggs-white only, about 18 oz. 2%milk
Lunch: 3 small chicken breasts on wheat bread.
Midday snack: Ham and swiss cheese on wheat, peanut butter sandwhich on wheat, protein shake (20g protein)
Dinner: Half a peanut butter sandwhich, 2 chicken breasts on wheat bread
Evening snack: 2 tuna sandwhiches (about 6oz. tuna) on wheat bread, protein shake (20g protein)

All in all, I think I had a pretty good day as far as eating goes. We'll see when I weigh in before tomorrow's chest workout. How should I weigh myself when I workout? Is it best to weigh before lifting or after? I tend to drink a lot of water during my workout, so I'm not sure if that would add anything to my weight when I weigh myself after the workout.

offhegoes03
02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
so today's my chest and triceps day. I won't be able to get to the gym until about 7:30 or 8 tonight and I've been eating all day, so I'm looking forward to a good workout. I'll post later on my diet and lifts.

DGabe24
02-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Looking great, Im pretty new to the site and getting more serious with dieting / lifting as well so keep up the good work :thumbup: I'll be stoppin by to see your progress, hopefully its great you seem to have the right mindset so far, take care man~

offhegoes03
02-08-2006, 07:17 PM
killer work out today.. felt really great.. here's what I did:

-BB Flat Bench Press:
160lbs x 8 - think i started this off a little too high
165lbs x 6
170lbs x 3 + 1 negative
135lbs x 8
-DB Incline Bench Press:
50lbs x 7
50lbs x 8
55lbs x 6
60lbs x 4
-DB Flys
35lbs x 10
35lbs x 10
35lbs x 10
-Dips
BW x 10
BW+25lbs x 5
BW+25lbs x 5
-Cable Push Down with Rope
100lbs x 10
110lbs x 8
110lbs x 8
-Overhead tricep extensions
50lbs x 8
50lbs x 8
50lbs x 8

Damn.. I've never done triceps on the same day as chest. My triceps were burning like hell by the end of the workout. It felt great. I weighed myself in before lifting and it was 145 on one of those older mechanical scales. Weighed in at 146.4 after my workout and after drinking a lot of water and a protein shake. I'm not going to post my whole diet, but I basically ate as much as possible. Tomorrow is leg and back day.

Coke
02-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Nice and complete chest workout with the triceps added in...it is gonna be cool to watch you make gains.

offhegoes03
02-09-2006, 12:14 PM
CoCoa: Thanks man, I can't wait to see some gains as well. It'll all happen in time.

So today I did my legs/back exercises. Ideally I'd like a whole day for legs, but I think I was able to make this work.

-Squats: still getting the hang of these. Never really maxed out yet
95lbsx10
115lbsx8
135lbsx8
145lbsx6

-Wide grip pull ups:
BW x 11
BW x 10
BW x 8
BW x 7

-Seated Calf Raises:
125lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
140lbs x 8
145lbs x 8

-Cable Seated Row:
140lbs x 12
150lbs x 12
160lbs x 10
165lbs x 10

-Leg Press Machine:
270lbs + however much the part you push weighs x 8
270lbs + " " x 8
270lbs + " " x 7

-DB Shrugs:
65lbs x 10
65lbs x 10
65lbs x 10
*note: this is with one DB in each hand.. I will mention the exercises where I only have one DB such as the tricep extensions from yesterday.

-Standing calf raises:
Did one leg at a time with a DB in the same hand as the leg I was working on. Did the same thing for both legs 3 times.
45lb x 10
50lb x 10
50lb x 10

-Lever Seated Leg Curl:
used some machine in the weight room to work my hamstrings
85lbs x 10
95lbs x 8
95lbs x 8

-Lat Pull Downs (wide grip)
90lbs x 10
105lbs x 8
110lbs x 6

That's about it for the workout. This was earlier in the day and I had worked out last night, so I didn't expect my weight to be too high. I weighed in right around 146.2 after my workout was done (I'm sure some of it was water weight). Now I have the rest of the day to stuff myself with food.

offhegoes03
02-09-2006, 01:04 PM
oh yeah, here's two pictures of my calves

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/majnalyd/detail?.dir=92a9&.dnm=21d1scd.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/majnalyd/detail?.dir=92a9&.dnm=2f17scd.jpg

Mik
02-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Nice work Chris! Keep with those squats they'll do a world of good. Grats on the weight gain so far.

offhegoes03
02-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Mik: Thanks man. I'm going to just keep working at it. The pounds aren't going to put themselves on.. or at least not until I get older and my metabolism slows down.

Today (Friday) is my off day. I'll be working a lot at my job after my classes, so I'll have to make sure to bring a bunch of snacks(healthy, protein filled ones) to work to keep putting the calories into my body. I'll start with the workouts again on Saturday with some Biceps/Shoulders/Forearms. I can't wait til that workout. It's actually getting harder to stay away from the weightroom even on my off days.

Mik
02-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Nice to see you so motivated. Just make sure you do stay away from the gym when you're supposed to. You grow outside the gym.

offhegoes03
02-10-2006, 08:15 AM
mik: Yeah, I definitely know to stay away from the gym to let my body rest. I take a day off after every 2 days of working out. If I'm really sore, I'll take an extra day. My spring break is in 3 weeks, so I figure that will be a convenient time to take a whole week off so that I come back fresh. I also get like 9-10 hours of sleep a night, so I think that helps as well. Gotta love college.

Mik
02-10-2006, 08:17 AM
mik:Gotta love college.

You youngans and yer book learnin'! ;)

McIrish
02-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Looks like you have a great base to start from, man, and the numbers are lookin good, too.

One recommendation - try weighing yourself first thing in the morning, either once a week or daily or whatever you want. That way, you're using the SAME scale, you're accounting for weight fluctuation throughout the day, and it's your scale so you don't have to worry about some humongo fatso at the gym stepping on it and messing it up :)

Oh, and eat. A lot. Good luck!

offhegoes03
02-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Mik: Haha.. I gotta enjoy it while it lasts. Only 1 and half more years before I actually have to step into the real world. That is unless I try to delay it more with grad school

McIrish: Thanks man. I definitely would like to weigh myself first thing in the morning, but I don't have a scale with me at school. If I bought one, I wouldn't want to go too cheap b/c then I wouldn't really trust the reading it gave me. What's a good price scale? 25 bucks?

I ate a pretty big breakfast this morning. I'm going to relax a bit, probably eat a tuna sandwhich and then hit up the gym a little later today. Can't wait since it's Biceps/Shoulders/Forearms day. I'll post my workout later on.

offhegoes03
02-11-2006, 01:35 PM
it was a good day today.
*all DB exercises include a DB in each hand

-Seated DB press
50lbs x 8
50lbs x 8
55lbs x 6
55lbs x 4

-Narrow grip underhand pull ups
BW x 15
BW + 25lbs x 7
BW +35lbs x 4.5
BW + 25lbs x 4.5

-Upright rows on the smith machine
50lbs + bar x 10
50lbs + bar x 8
60bls + bar x 5

-Alternate DB curl
35lbs x 14 (7 each arm)
35lbs x 12 (6 each arm)
35lbs x 14 (7 each arm)

-Lateral DB raises
15lbs x 10
15lbs x 10
20lbs x 7

-Cable Curls
100lbs x 10
110lbs x 6
110lbs x 6

-Reverse Curl w/ EZ bar
45lbs x 10 (I think the EZ curl bar weighs 25 lbs)
45lbs x10
50lbs x 10

-Wrist curl with BB
45lbs x 30
65lbs x 20
75lbs x 15

-Decline Sit ups with 25lbs added

Overall it was a good workout. Definitely seeing gains in some areas as far as lifts go. Still a little stuck in other areas, but I'm gonna keep working at it. Only weighed 145.6 today after my workout. Wish I had a scale in my room so that I could just consistently weigh myself in the morning. Not too worried though, just gotta make sure I eat a lot this afternoon.

offhegoes03
02-12-2006, 01:57 PM
chest/triceps day today.. felt really strong

BB Flat Bench Press:
-145lbs x 8 - just warming up..
-160lbs x 8
-165lbs x 6
-170lbs x 4
-175lbs x 2 + 1 negative

Incline DB press:
-50lbs x 10 -way too easy
-55lbs x 7 -struggled a bit towards the end.. a spotter would have helped me get one more out of this
-60lbs x 6
-65lbs x 4

Flat bench DB Flys:
-35lbs x 8
-35lbs x 8
-35lbs x 8

Dips:
-BW x 8
-BW + 25lbs x 4
-BW + 25lbs x4

Cable Push Downs (Rope):
-100lbs x 10
-110lbs x 10
-120lbs x 8
Cable Push Downs (angled bar):
-120lbs x 10
-130lbs x 10
-140lbs x 8
*edit: read a thread about how much range of motion you should use when doing these. I think I need to correct my form a bit, so these numbers are probably too high since I'm probably using other muscles inadvertently.

Overall, I felt really good today. Partied last night, so I really didn't get in enough calories last night. As expected, I was down to about 144 lbs when I weighed in. I'll be taking tomorrow off, so tonight and tomorrow I will be eating like crazy. I'd rather feel strong like I did today and weigh a little less than feel weak but weigh like 148 or something.

Coke
02-13-2006, 03:53 AM
Weigh-ins are cool but the scale is not gonna change that fast though...nice upper body work past couple of sessions.

Mik
02-13-2006, 07:29 AM
You're definitely putting up some strong numbers man. I especially like the pullups. Nice work!

offhegoes03
02-13-2006, 08:40 AM
CoCoa: Thanks man. I know that there will be some fluctuations in my weight depending on if I've eaten a lot recently, drank a lot of water, etc. Do you suggest just checking my weight once a week? I like checking the weight everytime I'm there just so if it is down a little bit, it gives me that extra motivation to eat more. But yeah, I wasn't upset about the weight being slightly down b/c I attributed it mostly to small fluctuations.

Mik: Yeah, I'm loving the compound movements. Once I decided to take the putting on mass part seriously, I started adding them into my workouts. I love the wide grip pull ups that I do on my back days. You definitely feel it right in your lats. I think I'll start adding some weight to those, but I'd also like to increase the number of reps I'm doing on those before I start adding too much weight. Thanks for checking out the journal.

Today's my off day. Going to let those muscles rest and then hit legs and back tomorrow. Looking to add some more weight on those squats.

Coke
02-13-2006, 08:50 AM
The gym scale is probably more reliable, you should check your weight anytime you deem necessary - I do mine every so often so I don't get overwhelmed by it...good plan of attack for those squats.

offhegoes03
02-14-2006, 03:53 PM
wow.. awesome workout today.. legs/back

-Squats:
115 x 8 (didn't want to tire myself out)
135 x 8
155 x 6
165 x 5 (I haven't quite maxed out, but I'm definitely getting up there. I need to find someone to start spotting me, so I can see how far I push it)

-Wide Grip overhand pull ups:
BW x 13 (up 2 reps)
BW + 25lbs x 7 (wow.. felt really good about these)
BW + 25lbs x 4 (maybe I rushed the second set)
BW x 7

-Seated Calf Raises:
135 x 10
145 x 10
155 x 8
160 x 8

-Lunges (DB in each hand):
45 x 10
45 x 10
45 x 10

-Bent over DB row (using one DB):
55 x 10
60 x 10
60 x 10

-Standing Calf Raises (one leg at a time, and one DB in the hand of the leg I was working)
45 x 12
45 x 12
50 x 12
55 x 10

-DB Shrugs (one DB in each hand)
60 x 10
60 x 10
60 x 10

-Leg Press:
250 + carriage weight x 10
270 + carriage weight x 8
290 + carriage weight x 5

-Lat Pull Downs:
85 x 10
100 x 8
115 x 4

When I walked to the upper part of the gym at my school, they were advertising a free bodyfat test. I figured since it was free, I might as well take it. They used two methods. The standard caliper method and then an Infrared machine that they put on your bicep and is supposed to get a pretty accurate reading. They were calibrating this machine, so that's why the test was free and why they did both methods. I got a reading of 7% on the machine and 8% with the calipers. I weighed in at just about 147 lbs today. As far as my diet goes, I'm going to keep trying to eat a lot of protein and fat. Not going to neglect the carbs though.

offhegoes03
02-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Very good workout today.

-Seated DB overhead press
50lbs x 8
55lbs x 7
55lbs x 6 (gonna try for 60lb DB's in each hand next time I do shoulders)

-Narrow grip, underhand pull ups
BW x 15
BW + 25lbs x 8 - I am a beast
BW + 35lbs x 4 -slowly working the reps higher with more weight
BW + 25lbx x 6

-Arnie's (never done these before, but now's as good of a time as ever to start)
30lbs x 10
30lbx x 10
35lbs x 8
35lbs x 8

-Standing Alternate DB curl
35lbs x 16 (8 each arm)
35lbs x 14
35lbs x 14

-Lateral DB raises
15lbs x 10
15lbs x 10
15lbs x 10

-BB curl
45lbs x 10
55lbs x 8
65lbs x 4 (if I had a spot, I probably could have gotten 5 since I got it halfway up and couldn't push it that extra bit)
65lbs x 5

-Wrist flexors and reverse wrist flexors.. low weight (20lbs for the regular and 10lbs for reverse), as many reps til I felt the burn and repeated this twice for each arm)

-Reverse Curl with EZ curl bar
45lbs x 10
50lbs x 10
50lbs x 10

Wow, what a workout. I didn't get into the gym until late tonight (9:30 pm) since I had classes/lab/work seriously from 11 am to 9pm. Definitely got a lot of eating in throughout the day and the cafeteria had grilled chicken breasts for dinner, so I made sure to snag about 6 of them and I plan to eat the leftovers as soon as I'm done typing this. My legs were definitely feeling the workout from yesterday, but it's the good sort of pain. I'm sure I'll be sore as hell tomorrow which is good since it's my day off. If I'm really sore, I'll take another day off, but I'll probably be doing chest and tris on friday. I weighed myself and I was a little over 148 at the end of my workout.

Coke
02-16-2006, 05:07 AM
You look like a high volume cat on the move in here, good stuff bro...gaining a pound here and there is where it's at.

Mik
02-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Great lookin chins man!

offhegoes03
02-16-2006, 08:13 AM
CoCoa: Thanks man, I appreciate you're continued support. I definitely feel like I'm filling out a little bit more. It's always hard to see progress in your own body since you see it every day. Maybe in another 2 weeks or so I'll post some updated pictures and measurements. I'm always playing it safe and making sure I gain the weight in a good amount of time. Usually getting about 3500-4000 calories a day.. ha I've got a really fast metabolism. It is always reassuring seeing bodyfat as low as 7-8% after eating like a pig.

Mik: Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm going to just keep doing those pullups to help stengthen my body. Ever since I started doing them, I've been loving them. I actually look forward to getting a chance to do some pullups. Not sure whether I should keep the BW pullups to a minimum of 10 so that maybe I can knock out a few more when I start adding the weights.

Also, I've been feeling really strong the times that I've lifted at night as opposed to the middle of the day. I think I'm gonna start trying to go more towards the evening and see how that goes.

Mik
02-16-2006, 08:16 AM
CoCoa: Mik: Not sure whether I should keep the BW pullups to a minimum of 10 so that maybe I can knock out a few more when I start adding the weights.

Personally I would but hey what do I know. :)

offhegoes03
02-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Mik: yeah, I think I am going to cut them down a little bit. That way I'll warm up with 8-10 BW.. then add some more weight. Then Maybe I'll do a set at the end where I try to do as many as possible with just BW. We'll see, but I'll keep fooling with it.

offhegoes03
02-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Good lifting night tonight. I think I'm going to start going at night as much as possible now. Chest/Tris:

-Decline BB:
135lbs x 10
155lbs x 8
175lbs x 7
195lbs x 3 - wow.. I haven't done decline in sooo long and this was the first time I even attempted 175 much less 195. Felt great.

-Flat bench DB:
60lbs x 8
65lbs x 6
70lbs x 3.99999 just couldn't get one arm up all the way
65lbs x 6

-Dips:
BW x 10
BW + 25lbs x 7
BW +35lbs x 5
BW +35lbs x 5
BW x 9

-Flat Bench Flys:
35lbs x 10
35lbs x 10
35lbs x 8

-Skullcrushers w/ EZ CURL bar:
45lbs x 10
55lbs x 8
60lbs x 7
65lbs x 6

-Overhead DB Tricep Extensions (one DB):
50lbs x 9
50lbs x 8
50lbs x 9 -I could probably have done more weight, but my triceps were shot by this time.

Overall a good workout. Surprised myself with the declines. Next time I do chest, I'll probably try 180 on flat bench. I think I should be able to do that 2 times or so. Weighed myself in at 146.8 today. Gonna go for legs/back tomorrow after work. Unfortunately I've got an early morning of work tomorrow, so no friday night out for me.

offhegoes03
02-18-2006, 08:00 PM
okay workout tonight.. felt a little weak, but still put up some decent numbers

-Squats:
115x8
135x8
155x6
165x5 -these were pretty bad. not too much weight, but I had 2 pretty bad reps as far as form goes. Decided to wait for next time to add more weight.

-Pullups(widegrip overhand):
BW x 8
BW + 25 x 7
BW + 35 x 5
BW + 35 x 5

-Seated Calf Raises:
135x10
145x10
160x10
170x7

-DB Shrugs:
60x10
60x10
60x10

-DB Lunges:
45x10
45x10
50x10

-Seated Cable Rows (2 pulleys):
150x12
160x12
165x10

-Standing Calf Raises(one DB):
50x12
50x12
55x10

-Seated Leg Extensions (cybex machine):
85x10
100x10
115x10
125x10

-Lat Pull Downs:
95x10
105x8
115x6

ehh.. just felt a bit tired today. got 8 hours of sleep, but had to work from 7:30 til 5.. i guess i know how it feels for you guys that work all day and then workout during the week. I'll be sleeping in tomorrow and resting all day. Start up again on monday with biceps/forearms/shoulders. Weighed in at 147.0.. gotta head out now to see my friend's band play.

Coke
02-19-2006, 05:46 AM
Sweet back-to-back sessions in here my man, really mixed it up this past effort.

offhegoes03
02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
CoCoa: Thanks man. I try to switch some of my exercises up every once and a while to keep it new. However, I always try to hit some core exercises, etc.

I'm heading out in a bit for a floor hockey game and then I'm gonna lift afterwards. I'll post my workout later tonight. Still been eating a lot, etc. I noticed the search function was working (wasn't working when I first joined) and I started looking up people's opinions on glutamine as a supplement. It looks like not many people here think it's worth the money to use this. I still have some left over from when I got a bunch on sale, but I'm thinking of replacing it with some Creatine 500 off of atlargenutrition. It seems like a good price, etc. Does anyone know what their shipping rates are? I might pick up some soon and buy some dextrose to mix it with. Planning on the standard 5g a day of creatine that seems to work for most people here.

offhegoes03
02-20-2006, 07:38 PM
really good workout tonight.. a little tired at first from floor hockey, but I was good for most of the workout.

Biceps/Forearms/Shoulders

-Pullups (narrow grip, underhand):
BW x 10
BW+25 x 9
BW+35 x 7
BW+45 x 4.5
BW+25 x 5

-Arnies (DB's obviously)
35x10
40x8
40x6
-Standing curls with EZ-curl bar (wide grip):
55x10
65x8
65x8
-Upright Rows on Smith: (taking bar as being 45 lbs and have an 25lb on either side)
95x8
95x7
95x8
-Preacher DB curl: (isolated each arm on the preacher bench with one DB)
25x10
30x8
30x6
-Lateral DB Raises:
15x10
15x10
15x10
-Reverse Curls w/ EZ curl bar:
45x10
50x9
55x8
-Wrist rollers: (i think i saw DeGabe doing these in his journal.. correct me if I'm wrong)
I added a 2.5lb weight to the end and did 6 sets of just bringing it up once and bringing it back down. Was trying to get used to the motion while still using correct form. Are you supposed to just try to go up and down once and rest? or is it better to go for a couple of reps in each set? Hah.. my forearms were killing me after just bringing it up once. Will work on this next time and see.

Overall a good day. Weighed myself in at 149.4 lbs, so that's a definite plus. Gonna go in tomorrow for chest/tris as long as I'm not sore from today. Any thoughts on the comment about creatine that I had in my post before this? I know I'm doing fine without it, but I guess I just figured if it helped even more, it might be worth using. Feel free to voice your opinions about that.

DGabe24
02-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey Chris very nice progress, your lifts are solid man keep up the good work. On the wrist rollers i have 11lbs tied at the bottom, I hold the PVC (pipe, whatever you use) straight out with my arms extended and just roll up, first time up I roll towards me, and then let back down away. Then I do a second rep right away, bringing it up rolling away. So it is essentially up, down, back up, and back down making 2 reps. I can barely do that, so I do about 3 sets of those and my forearms are done for the night. A personal fave for forearms though, that burn is unmatchable ;)

offhegoes03
02-20-2006, 08:51 PM
DeGabe: sounds good. I'll keep trying those wrist rollers and see how I can progress. I tried 5 pounds initially, but my forearms just couldn't do it. Maybe next time I try them, I'll be able to do a bit more.

offhegoes03
02-21-2006, 02:59 PM
chest/triceps

Flat BB Bench Press:
135x10
155x8
170x6
180x5* needed a little help with the last one
185x3* could have done a 4th with a bit of help, but the 3 were all me

Incline DB Bench Press:
50x10
60x6
60x5

Dips:
BWx10
BW+25x8
BW+35x6

Cable Flys(2 pulley system):
70x10
80x9
80x7

Skullcrushers w/ EZ curl bar:
55x10
65x6
65x6

Despite the numbers, a pretty bad day as far as lifting goes. My wrists felt sore once I started benching and I'm not sure if that's from the wrist rollers that I did yesterday. I was able to work through it, but I just wasn't able to put everything into the second part of my workout. Wish I could have done another set of tricep exercises, but I would rather let my wrists feel better. I don't think it's anything serious, but definitely not worth trying to push. Weighed in at 146.6.

Mik
02-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Wow, I've missed some good sessions. Nice work all around man. As always your pullups are lookin' strong.

Coke
02-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Great chest and tricep workout, good job on those dips with added weight...super wrist rollers as well bro.

offhegoes03
02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Mik: thanks. See what happens when you disappear for a couple days? ha, but yeah, I really enjoy doing the pull ups. I'm constantly trying to up the weight while also maintaining a good amount of reps.
CoCoa: thanks man. I wasn't feeling 100% during the end of the chest/triceps workout, but I made it through it with some pretty good numbers. Especially the flat bench. I liked the wrist rollers too (made my forearms burn like hell), but I'm not sure if that's what caused my wrist pain? We'll see.

Today's my day off, so I'm just eating a lot, etc. Started some new protein powder, but it was vanilla and I wasn't crazy about the taste. Threw in some nesquik mix into it today and it tasted 10x better. I need to pick up some oats so that I can mix that and PB into my shakes on my days off. I'll probably lift legs/back tomorrow as long as my wrists aren't sore (only really matters for the back part)

offhegoes03
02-23-2006, 03:21 PM
good workout today

Legs/Back

DB Shrugs:
60x12, 60x10, 60x10

Squats:
135x8, 155x6, 165x6, 170x4

Pullups (widegrip overhand):
BWx10, (BW+25)x7, (BW+35)x5.5, (BW+35)x5, (BW+25)x6

Seated Calf Raises:
135x12, 150x10, 160x10, 170x10

DB Bent-over Row:
60x10, 65x10, 70x8

Leg Press:
270+carriage x 8, 270+carriage x 8, 290+carriage x 6

DB Standing Calf Raises:
50x15, 50x15, 50x15

Lat Pull Downs:
100x10, 115x7.5, 115x9

overall a good workout. weighed in around 146.8 after my workout. Still fluctuating a bit in the weight, but that's to be expected. Hopefully I'll keep eating a put on the pounds in good time. Gonna do arms/shoulders/forearms tomorrow and then going out of town for the weekend. I'll probably do chest/triceps on monday, but I also need to make sure I eat a lot over the weekend. I ordered some creatine and dextrose, so I'll probably start trying that out in like 2 weeks or so.

offhegoes03
02-24-2006, 08:07 AM
arms/shoulders/forearms

pullups (narrow grip, underhand):
BWx10, BW+25x10, BW+35x6, BW+45x3.5, BW+25x6

Arnies:
40x8, 40x8, 45x6

BB Curls:
45x10, 55x9, 65x6

Rear Delt Rows(DB lying with my chest on an incline bench):
25x10, 25x10, 25x10 (never done these before, so I was getting used to the motion)

Preacher DB isolation curl(one arm at a time):
30x8, 30x7, 30x7

Wrist Flexors and Reverse Wrist Flexors:
20lb DB on regular and 10lb DB on reverse. Did 2 sets with as many reps as it made my forearms burn (about 30).

Never working out in the morning again without a full meal in me. Felt a little woozy towards the end, so I cut out one shoulder exercise and one forearm exercise. Still overall decent workout, I'd just prefer to workout at night. Didn't bother weighing myself. Heading out in a bit for a 6 hour drive to pittsburgh for a fraternity conference. Probably will do chest and triceps on monday.

Mik
02-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Nice rowing man. Every once in awhile I do db rows and they always trash my lats.

Haha, the other day I ate too late on DL day. I fought the ugly puke monster for an hour. Blech!

Coke
02-24-2006, 08:36 AM
I prefer evening sessions too, good past couple of efforts...have an enjoyable fraternity meet and a nice drive there.

offhegoes03
02-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Mik: Lifting while having that puke feeling is the worst. Today I just felt a little woozy, but I didn't want to push it to that puke feeling.

CoCoa: Thanks man. Unfortunately my friend was having car troubles, so we'll be missing the conference this weekend. Still gonna take off tomorrow and sunday to let my body rest.

Oh yeah, last night I made my first custom weight gainer type shake. About 1/2 cup oats, 1.5 tablespoons PB, and a scoop of vanilla protein. Probably about 450-500 calories in there. Wasn't sure how it was gonna taste, but it actually tasted really good. I'll probably load in some more calories into the next one now that I know how good it tastes. Definitely some great ideas in these forums.

offhegoes03
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
awesome lifting session today.. the extra day off really helped me feel 100% in there tonight.

chest/triceps

Decline BB:
135x10, 155x8, 180x6, 200x3 *PR

Incline DB:
50x10, 60x8, 70x6, 75x3

Dips:
BWx10, (BW+25)x9, (BW+35)x7, (BW+35)x7, BWx11

DB Flys:
35x10, 35x10, 35x10

Skullcrushers + CG EZcurl bench press right after done the skulls (EZcurl bar):
weight/reps skulls/reps CG EZcurl
55x10x10
55x10x10
60x6x6

Rope Cable Push Downs:
70x10, 90x8, 100x7

Wow, what a lifting session. Felt great the entire time. Started creatine on saturday. Taking 5g a day with 20g dextrose. I'm taking it first thing in the morning on non-lifting days (good or bad idea? I read to do this somewhere else) and right after my workout on lifting days. Wasn't too hungry this weekend (may have been bloating due to the creatine), but I still tried to eat as much as possible. Weighed in at 149.8 tonight after my workout. Is some of that from the creatine pulling water into my muscles? I know it should take about 28 days for it to fully kick in if I'm not loading. Just wasn't sure if that slight weight gain was due to it or not. Either way, I've been drinking as much water as possible to make sure I don't dehydrate myself.

Coke
02-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Nice workout overall, nice job with the heavy db inclines and props on your declines pr.

Mik
02-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Very solid session man. Ace work on bench and dips. I love dips.

Was your shake really thick? Sounds like you could walk on it. :)

DGabe24
02-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Good work Chris, we're pretty close in alot of lifts I like it, nice decline presses. You need to do some flat bb press. Im gonna do some more pressdowns, skull-crushers, and overheads tonight to kill my triceps. Keep up the good work :strong:

offhegoes03
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
CoCoa: Thanks man. Haha, moving up the DB weight is a little intimidating once you start getting to the huge DB's. They're always so heavy just to get over to the incline bench that I have to convince myself that I can press them. Hah, but you wouldn't know about that since you curl like 85lb DB's like it's nothing.

Mik: Yeah man, I'm loving the dips as well. You're right, the shake was pretty thick, but I kinda half drink it/half spoon out the oats. Surprisingly the peanut butter mixes well in the water.

DeGabe: Ha yeah man, I have noticed that we're about on the same level. You're slightly higher, but I think you weigh more than me as well. Either way, a friendly competition never hurt anyone. But yeah, I usually do flat BB, but I've really been trying to PR in that, so I do the decline every once and a while just to prove that I can actually lift that much weight. I'll be working my chest again on friday right before my spring break and I'll go for a PR of 190 on flat. After that, I'll be taking a nice long week off of lifting to let my body rest.

Tonight is Legs/Back night, so I'll post my workout later on.

offhegoes03
02-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Legs/Back

Leg Press:
(270+carriage)x10, (320+carriage)x8, (350+carriage)x6, (350+carriage)x6

Pullups (widegrip overhand):
*People were busy at the squat rack where I usually do these(thus the leg presses early in the workout), so I had to do these on the bar on the cable machine.. only problem is that there isn't much room between the bar and the wall, so I had to watch out that I didn't break the mirror with the weights

BWx10, (BW+25)x6, (BW+25)x6.5, (BW+35)x4, BWx8

Seated Calf Raises:
*did these nice and slow
135x12
135x12
135x11

Squats:
135x8, 155x6, 175x5, 185x3 *didn't have too great of form on the 185 for one of the reps.

DB Shrugs:
60x10, 60x10, 60x10

Standing Calf Raises w/ one DB:
55x10, 55x10, 55x10

Seated Leg Extensions Machine:
100x10, 115x10, 130x10

Lat Pull Downs:
115x10, 125x7.5, 125x8

Weight: 149.0

Overall a good workout. Had to concentrate more on not hitting the mirror than on my pullups themselves. Should have had a couple more reps of those. Squats felt pretty good. I tried to use a belt towards the end, but I wasn't sure if I was wearing it correctly. I put it around my waist and tightened it as much as possible, but when I did the squat motion, it would ride up a bit. Is it supposed to do this or stay in one place during the full range of motion? Also, sometimes the leg press machine causes some slight pain in my lower back, but it never hurts the next day. Do you think I should keep up with this or just do lunges instead? Responses on these questions would be appreciated. Taking tomorrow off to recover a bit.

Coke
03-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Continuing to mix things up here for some fine back/leg work...looks like you are about to make a breakthrough Chris.

Mik
03-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Nice session man. Pullups looking strong as usual.

I've never a belt ride up on me. Maybe you've got it on too low? Not sure.
On the leg press make sure you are coming downlow enough but not so low your back starts to round and come off the pad. I dunno if I explained that well enough.........I haven't had enough coffee. :)

offhegoes03
03-02-2006, 02:58 PM
CoCoa: Thanks for the encouragement, I feel like I'll be able to make some huge breakthroughs once I come back from my week long break.

Mik: Yeah, I know what you mean as far as not going down too low with the leg press machine. I probably bring the carriage down too low, so that's probably what's causing the pain.

Biceps/Shoulders/Forearms

Format: weight x reps exercise 1, weight x reps exercise 2

Superset #1: Pullups (narrow grip, underhand) followed by DB alternate curls:
+35x8, 35x7 (7 each arm)
+35x7, 35x3 (wow.. didn't realize how hard this would be)
+35x4.5, 30x4
+35x4.5, 30x5

Superset #2: DB Shoulder press followed by alternate DB front raises:
55x8, 15x8 (8 raises for each arm)
50x8, 20x6
50x6, 20x5
50x6.5, 20x5

Superset #3: Upright EZ curl bar Rows followed by DB Side Laterals:
50x10, 15x7
50x10, 12x8
55x10, 12x6
55x10, 10x10

Superset #4: Behind Back BB Wrist Curls followed by Holding 2 heavy DB's for as long as possible:
65x20, 55x 20 seconds
65x20, 55x15 seconds
85x10, 45x 18 seconds
75x12, 45x 10 seconds

Wrist Rollers:
+5lbs up and down x1
+5lbs up and down x1
+5lbs up and down x1

Weight: 152.2

wow, I think my arms and shoulders hate me right now. These supersets killed me, but it felt great. Some notes, I had never done the behind the back BB wrist curls, so I didn't know a good weight to do. too much weight and I didn't get good range of motion (85lbs), but too light and I just had to do a bunch of reps. If anyone else has tried to hold heavy DB's after doing this, you'll know how hard it was to hold on to them. My grip would just slowly slip away until I couldn't hold them any longer. I like the idea of supersets and when I come back from break, I plan to mix them in a bit more. Won't have time to lift tomorrow, so I probably won't post any more workouts for another week or so once I get back from spring break.

Coke
03-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Great supersets throughout bro, glad to see you throw them into the mix ...have an enjoyable spring break.

Mik
03-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Great looking w/o man. Those supersets look killer.

Enjoy spring break!

offhegoes03
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Cocoa, Mik: Thanks guys. My arms are still sore from yesterday's workout.. I will definitey try to have a good spring break while still eating as much as possible.

McIrish
03-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Awesome work on the benching lately, bro, you've got great numbers and they're on the up and up. Eat like a lion with a tapeworm!

thejuice
03-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Spring break already? *jealous* I've still got two weeks of class. Enjoy it--eat, recover, and come back stronger than ever! Lifts already look great, I can't wait to see your progress.

offhegoes03
03-10-2006, 11:09 PM
McIrish: ha, thanks man. I'm definitely liking the improvement I've been making in the bench. Time to start pushing more and more. I definitely had a huge appetite this whole past week, so I had no problem packing in the calories.

thejuice: Thanks for checking in man. My school does have a pretty early spring break, but it was a good time and now it's time to get back to work and finish the semester off.

Spring break wasn't bad. Managed to keep the drinking to a minimum. Unfortunatley my friends weren't too pleased that I wasn't drinking at all really, but you have to make sacrifices to make some gains and drinking heavily screws up everything with my eating, etc. Probably had only 2 beers the entire week. Gonna chill at home for a while and then head back to school sunday. I'll start off with chest/triceps on monday.

offhegoes03
03-13-2006, 06:59 PM
chest/triceps
Note: Not really going for any maxes for the next week or so. Gonna work my way up to my previous bests over the next 2 weeks probably.

BB Flat Bench:
135x10, 155x8, 165x7, 165x6, 155x6, 135x7

Incline DB:
50x7.5, 50x7.5, 50x7

Dips:
BWx8, +25x6, +25x5, BWx8

DB Flys:
35x8, 35x8, 35x6

Superset: Skulls + CGBP on EZcurl bar:
weight/reps skulls/reps CGBP
55x8x8, 55x7x8, 55x6x7

Weight: 149.6 lbs

Not a bad workout. Still felt pretty strong, but I may have done a little too much as far as reps go at the beginning with the BB bench pressing, but I didn't feel too tired for the rest of the workout. Gonna work legs/back tomorrow.

Coke
03-14-2006, 05:30 AM
All that drinking can throw a wrench in the works, glad to see you kept things in check while on spring break and still managed to have a good time...fine chest and tricep day bro.

Mik
03-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Nice dipping Chris! Those supersets must've fried your tri's.

offhegoes03
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
CoCoa: Yeah, it definitely messes up everything. I used to drink pretty heavily, but I really want to meet my goals, so I'm cutting it down a bit. It's unrealistic to completely cut it out, b/c a beer every once and a while with your friends is fun, so I'm just gonna keep it down to like 1-2 beers every 1-2 weeks. It's hard, but it's worth it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Mik: My triceps and chest are sore as hell today. I'm loving the supersets though.

Legs

Squats:
135x8, 135x8, 155x8, 155x8, 155x6
Note: Someone in the gym was helping me with my form since I apparently lean a little too far forward. Kept the weight low to work on that and I will continue to keep an eye on my form.

Good Mornings:
45x10, 45x10, 45x10, 55x10
Note: New to these. Getting the form down and getting used to the motion before adding much weight.

Superset: Standing Calf Raises (belt w/ weight added) + Seated Calf Raises
+35x12, 135x10
+35x12, 135x10
+35x12, 135x8

DB Lunges:
45x10, 50x10, 50x10

Seated Leg Curls:
85x10, 100x10, 130x10

Weight: 151.8

damn am I sore. I can already hear my legs cursing me tomorrow morning. I can barely sit down as I write this b/c of my hamstrings and glutes. I'm changing things up a bit for these next 8-10 weeks. Gonna do chest/tris on monday, legs on tuesday, rest wednesday, biceps/back on thursday, shoulders/forearms on friday, and rest on saturday/sunday. This will hopefully give me plenty of rest time. I could also do something where I do ABxCDxABxCDx, etc. where ABCD are workout days and x are rest days. I'll see how I feel and how fast I recover.

UMTerp29
03-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Workouts looking good in here. You definately want to nail your form with the squats, good idea getting someone to watch you. I've been thinking of adding good mornings to my routine, let me know how you like them once you get the hang of it.

Coke
03-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Good deal on tweaking your form on the squats and good mornings, it will pay off...nice way to change your spilt too.

Mik
03-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Nice work on the GMs man. I just added these in a couple weks ago too. I did legs Sunday and I still can't walk or sit.

offhegoes03
03-15-2006, 10:12 AM
UMTerp29: Yeah, I definitely appreciate it whenever anyone offers help on form. I guess some people would get pissed off, but I'd rather someone correct me than do them wrong in the future.

Cocoa: Thanks man. We'll see how this new split works out.

Mik: Surprisingly my legs are only slightly sore this morning. I definitely like the GM's though, so I'm gonna continue doing those. Now all I have to do is find someone to help me with dead lifts. Those are usually done on back day or leg day?

Taking off today. Felt like I was starting to get a little sick the past few mornings, but I'm fine once the afternoon rolls around. Gonna keep an eye on things and maybe take some time off if I get really sick, but it doesn't feel like it's going to get worse (knock on wood).

Mik
03-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Mik: Surprisingly my legs are only slightly sore this morning. I definitely like the GM's though, so I'm gonna continue doing those. Now all I have to do is find someone to help me with dead lifts. Those are usually done on back day or leg day?

I do 'em on back day. There is no way I could squat, do GMs and DL in one session.

offhegoes03
03-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Mik: Yeah, that was my initial guess, but I just wanted to check with everyone.

Back/Biceps

Wide Grip Pull Ups (overhand):
+25x7, +25x6, +35x4.5, +35x3.5

Narrow Grip Pull Ups (underhand):
+25x7, +25x5.5, BWx8.5

Deadlifts:
45x10, 75x10, 95x8, 95x8
Note: Checked online on exrx to figure out the form and everything. Kept the bar about 1 inch or so from my shins and made sure to keep my arms straight the entire time. Definitely felt it in my lower back.

DB Shrugs:
60x12, 60x11, 55x9
Note: Didn't feel like I was getting the full range of motion. Might go a little bit lighter next time to start with.

Bent over DB Rows:
55x10, 60x10, 60x10

Standing EZbar curls:
55x8, 55x6, 55x5
Note: Felt a little weak, but I guess my biceps got enough work with the other exercises.

Lat Pull Downs:
115x8, 115x6, 100x6.5

Weight: 152.0

Didn't feel the need for much direct bicep work since I got a lot from the compound exercises and back work. I'm loving the deadlifts and I don't know what kept me from starting them earlier. Will definitely do these every back day from now on.

Coke
03-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Good deal on the varied pullups and taking care of those deads that way, nice job with everything overall Chris.

offhegoes03
03-17-2006, 07:31 PM
CoCoa: Thanks for your continued support. The pullups felt good as did the deadlifts. I always like to see the form online and then check with someone else in the weightroom to make sure I'm doing it correctly. My friend said that it looked like I had good form for the deads, but I won't start upping the weight too much until I'm really used to them. I could probably start at 95 lbs for my starting sets next time though. That felt like a comfortable amount.

Shoulders/Forearms:

Superset: Arnies + Alternate Front Raises
weight/reps, weight/reps
40x8, 20x16 (8 each arm)
40x8, 20x12
40x7, 20x10
40x6, 20x8

Superset: BB Upright Rows+ Side Laterals
55x10, 12x8
65x8, 12x8
65x8, 12x7

DB Rear Delt Row (one at a time):
40x10, 50x10, 55x8

Reverse EZ Curl:
50x10, 50x10, 50x10

Wrist Rollers:
+5x2, +5x2, +5x2

Weight: 153.4

Pretty solid workout today. I love the supersets on the shoulder exercises. Kills those delts. Wrist rollers were killer today too. The 5lbs is getting a bit easier now since I can go up and down twice now instead of only once. It reminds me of running the 800 in high school. You get done with one lap and you feel good. Then you realize you've got another 400 to go. Hope everyone has a good st. patty's day. I gotta make an appearance at my fraternity's party, but I still have quite a lot of eating left to do tonight, so it'll probably be an early night. Plus I have work early tomorrow morning, so I need to make sure I get at least 7-8 hours of sleep in.

Coke
03-18-2006, 07:34 AM
I know your delts were finished after them supersets...good deal on those wrist rollers, I need to do those too.

offhegoes03
03-19-2006, 04:52 PM
CoCoa: Yeah, the wrist rollers are nice. If you really want to kill your forearms, that's the way to go.

I was actually planning on lifting today, but I've got way too much stuff going on. I'll get to the gym tomorrow evening for a chest/triceps session. Unfortunately I haven't been that hungry at all this weekend, but I've been trying to eat as much as possible regardless. One good note, I put on my blazer for the first time in a month and it's even harder to get on now. I'll probably post some pics of my progress once I gain another 5-10 pounds.

offhegoes03
03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Chest/Triceps:

Superset: BB Flat + DB Flys:

135x10, 30x12
160x7, 30x12
170x5, 30x12
170x5, 30x8

Incline DB:
50x9, 55x6, 55x5

Dips:
BWx10, +25x7, +25x6, BWx10

Superset: Skulls + CGBP (both w/ EZcurl):
55x9, 55x12
55x7, 55x8
55x7, 55x10

Weight: 153.8

Whew, great workout tonight. The first superset felt great as did the second one. Dips felt amazing tonight. I felt really strong on those. Probably gonna do another session similar to this one and then I'll probably be trying to go big for my flat bench and hopefully put up 200lbs for a rep or two. After that I might take a break with the flat and do some incline BB work while concentrating on DB's for flat or decline. Cafeteria had chicken tonight! Ate like 3 medium to large sized breasts there and snagged 3 more for later tonight/tomorrow. Gotta get the most out of that meal plan. Also, if I keep this pace with the weight gain, I can see myself meeting my goal way early. Probably aiming more for 160 or so now for may.

Coke
03-21-2006, 05:36 AM
Continuing to eat that way will help you gain more muscle mass man...making plenty of headway with your supersets.

offhegoes03
03-21-2006, 03:15 PM
CoCoa: yeah man, adding mass is the plan. It's always a plus whenever the cafeteria has chicken since I don't feel as full after eating a lot of it. Definitely the easiest way to get tons of calories for me. The days they don't have chicken, I eat a variety of other meats just to get the protein. Since I'm bulking, I'm not too concerned if it's a lean source or not, but it's definitely nice to have as clean a bulk as possible.

Legs

Squats:
45x10, 135x10, 155x8, 175x6, 175x6
I think I'm getting the form much better now. Will try to start increasing these soon once I'm completely satisfied with my form.

GM's:
45x10, 55x10, 65x10, 75x10
Feeling more confident on these. Might start adding a little bit more weight, but not too much too soon.

Superset: Standing Calf Raises + Seated Calf Raises:
+35x12, 135x10
+35x10, 135x10
+35x10, 135x9

DB Lunges:
50x10, 55x10, 55x10

Seated Leg Curls:
130x10, 140x10, 140x10

Weight: 152.4

My legs are toast after this workout. Same workout as last week, just increased the numbers a bit. Going to take tomorrow off and then resume on thursday with back/biceps.

Coke
03-22-2006, 05:25 AM
Glad to see you becoming more confident with your GM's and squats...nice job on the calves and db lunges.

Mik
03-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Nice workouts chris! Squats and GMs are looking solid.

McIrish
03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Great work on the squats, Chris... I'm with you... slowly adding the weight and keeping the form > those kids who throw on 250 and go down three inches and then walk away all proud like they just won Mr. Olympia. Keep up the solid work.

offhegoes03
03-23-2006, 03:16 PM
CoCoa: Thanks man, my confidence has been steadily increasing with those exercises.
Mik: Thanks Mik for the all the support. I know you love your GM's.
McIrish: Yeah man, I'd prefer to get it right before trying to go big with weight.

Back/Bicep

DL's:
95x10, 135x10, 155x5, 135x8
Note: Started out and felt pretty strong on the first 2 sets. Had someone check my form and he said I was doing them pretty well. However, I seem to hunch my back a little bit too much, so I think I tried to go too high too fast. My back feels a little sore now, so I'll probably be feeling it tomorrow. I'll have to make sure I don't try to go up too fast or risk injuring myself in the future.

Wide Grip Pullups(overhand):
+25x7, +25x6, +35x4.5, +25x3.5

Narrow Grip Pullups(underhand):
+25x7, +25x7, BWx10

DB Shrugs:
55x12, 55x12, 55x10

Bent over DB Rows:
60x10, 60x10, 60x10

Alternate DB Curls:
35x14 (7 each arm), 35x10, 35x10

Weight: 152.2

Wasn't really feeling it today. Mostly a good workout, but the DL's kinda put a damper on it since I tweaked my mid back just a little bit (nothing serious). Felt a little sick towards the end, so I didn't add in the lat pull downs at the end even though I wanted to. Then again, not vomiting in front of all the girls doing cardio > a couple sets of lat pull downs. Weight is feeling good even though I haven't been too hungry all day. I'll just have to pack in the calories tonight. Tonight Dave Attell is coming to do stand up at my school. I'm pretty psyched about that and all the vulgar jokes that he will bring with him.

Coke
03-24-2006, 04:06 AM
That should be a good one, I'm up for any comedy jam...props for completing the session and doing stricter deads.

offhegoes03
03-24-2006, 09:16 AM
CoCoa: Dave attell was hilarious last night. If a comedian can keep me laughing the majority of the time, I'm happy. Yeah, my back is a little sore today, but not as much as I thought it would be.

I have too much stuff with work today to lift. Taking off today and then resuming with shoulders/forearms tomorrow and chest/tricpes on sunday.

offhegoes03
03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Shoulders/Forearms

Superset: Arnies + Front Raises:
40x10, 20x14
40x7, 20x10
40x8, 20x12
40x8, 20x10

Superset: Upright Rows (ez curl bar) + Lateral Raises:
65x10, 12x8
65x10, 12x8
65x10, 12x5

DB rear Delt Row:
50x10, 55x10, 55x10

DB Wrist Curl:
20x30, 20x30, 20x30

Wrist Rollers:
+5x2, +5x2, +5x2

Weight: 151.4

ahhhh.. my forearms are killing me after this workout. Overall I felt great. I haven't been very hungry lately, but I'm really trying to pack in the calories. Still managing to get about 3500-4000 in most days. Going to do chest/triceps tomorrow. Also I took some measurements and it looks like I've added about 1/2 an inch to all of my measurements (well not all measurements, but the ones pertaining to body building). I'll probably post some pictures in a few weeks once I've put on some more weight.

Coke
03-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Gaining a half inch here and there is great Chris...you're really getting into the supersets, they are ace.

offhegoes03
03-26-2006, 12:56 PM
CoCoa: Thanks man. I figured since the last time I had measured, I had gained maybe 7 pounds, so .5 inch sounds about right. I love supersetting now. I'm going to keep doing it and see what kind of results I can get.

chest/triceps

Superset: BB Flat Bench + DB Flys:
135x10, 30x12
160x7, 30x12
170x6, 30x10
170x4, 30x8

Incline DB:
50x10, 55x5, 55x6

Dips:
BWx10, +25x7, +35x5, BWx9

Superset: Skulls + CGBP on EZCURL:
55x8, 55x10
55x6, 55x8
55x7, 55x8

One Arm DB Tricep Extensions:
25x7, 25x6, 25x5

Everything's going pretty well with the lifting. Gonna rest tomorrow and then hit up legs on tuesday. Next chest day, I'm gonna go for a PR on the flat bench. Maybe 195 or 200. We'll see how I'm feeling after some warmup lifts. After that, I'm going to start focusing on incline BB to add some more variety. Eating is back to normal again.

Coke
03-27-2006, 04:16 AM
The workout was very nice bro, covered a lot of bases while doing the chest & tri's.

offhegoes03
03-28-2006, 03:27 PM
CoCoa: Thanks man, I always love doing chest and triceps, so I like to get a wide variety of exercises in there.

Legs

Squats:
95x10, 135x10, 175x8, 185x7, 185x6

GM's:
45x10, 65x10, 85x8, 95x6

+35x12, 135x10
+35x12, 135x10
+35x12, 135x10

Leg Extensions Machine:
115x10, 130x10, 145x10

Leg Curl Machine:
130x10, 145x10, 160x7

Weight: 153.4

I love leg days. hah, I know it's crazy, but I just love the burn you feel when doing the exercises. I've been looking into doing some more stuff to keep my heart in good health without starting up running again. I finally found a club at my school that teaches boxing/muay thai kickboxing/mma stuff. I've mentioned in Anthony's journal that I've wanted to box for a while now, but that I've been deterred by the fact that there are vision requirements to compete. Even though it's close to the end of the semester (a little more than a month left!), I figure I'll at least check out this club to see what's up. That way I can probably at least learn some techniques that I can work on over the summer. I'll keep you guys posted.

Coke
03-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Awesome leg session from beginning to end dude...the fight club should be good for you to get some techniques down.

offhegoes03
03-29-2006, 06:40 PM
CoCoa: yeah, I'm really excited about the first practice. MMA meets on sundays from 2-4 pm and kickboxing/boxing meets on monday from 8-10pm. I need to get a jump rope and some hand wraps. Eventually I'll probably want to get a mouthguard and actual gloves. I've been in contact with the president and since I'm coming in half way through the semester, dues will only be 10 bucks instead of 25. I'll update you guys how it goes.

Back/Bi's

DL's:
95x10, 115x8, 125x8, 135x8
Notes: Felt wayyyyyy better on these this time. Moving up slowly is the way to go.

Wide Grip Pullups (overhand):
BWx10, +25x8, +35x5, +25x6

Narrow Grip Pullups (underhand):
+25x7, +35x4.5, +25x6

Bent over DB Rows:
60x10, 60x10, 60x10

DB Shrugs:
50x12, 50x12, 55x12

Alt. DB Curls:
35x16, 40x12, 45x2
Note: I was pretty excited since I had never been able to do 40's and they felt really easy even after a long workout. Got cocky and tried 45's.. hah, I guess I'm a long ways away from curling 85's like coke.

Lat PD's:
115x10, 125x6.5, 125x6.5

Weight: 156.8

wooooo, new top weight! all the eating has been paying off so far. still expecting it to fluctuate around the 153-156 range, but at least I've weighed in above 155 now. That's 20lbs more than I've ever weighed before in the past. Enough gloating, gotta bulk more. Taking tomorrow off and then doing some shoulders/forearms on friday.

Coke
03-30-2006, 04:42 AM
Nice job throughout for back/bi's guy...thanks for those props but I have not been going as heavy lately for my alternate db curls, lol. Keep up the good work, gonna be passing the 160 mark here soon.

offhegoes03
03-31-2006, 06:44 PM
CoCoa: Thanks, I sure hope I'll be passing 160 soon. I'm thinking in the next 2-3 weeks it'll be possible if I keep up with the eating.

Shoulders/Forearms:

40x10, 20x16
40x8, 20x14
40x8, 20x12
40x8, 20x10

Superset: Upright Rows(EZCurl) + Side Laterals:
65x10, 12x10
65x10, 12x8
75x10, 12x7
75x8, 12x7

Lying Rear Delt DB Rows:
25x8, 25x9, 25x9

DB Wrist Curls:
25x30, 25x30, 25x25

Wrist Rollers:
+7.5 x 1.75 , +7.5 x 1, +7.5 x 1

Weight: 153.6

I once thought I knew true pain. Then I discovered wrist rollers. my forearms are sore as hell, but I guess that's the point. Gonna do some chest/tricep stuff tomorrow and try to go for a PR on the bench. MMA is meeting on sunday, so I'll go to that and check it out despite the huge blister on my foot that I got from playing indoor soccer.

Coke
04-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Awesome stuff throughout man, including the wrist rollers & db wrist curls...sweet supersets for those delts.

offhegoes03
04-01-2006, 06:59 PM
CoCoa: thanks bro, supersets rock!

chest/triceps

Flat BB Bench:
135x10, 170x7, 200x3, 210x3 (PR by 25 lbs)
Monster PR! The last rep of the 210 was assisted a bit, but the other 2 were all me. I've been looking forward to this for a while and holding back for the past 3-4 weeks really paid off.

DB Incline:
50x10, 60x7, 70x5

Dips:
BWx12, +25x7.5, +35x5, +45x4

DB Flys:
35x10, 35x8, 35x8

Superset: Skullcrushers + CGBP (EZcurl):
55x6, 55x12
55x7, 55x10
55x6, 55x12

Cable Pushdowns (Rope, 2 pulley system):
80x8, 80x10, 90x7

Weight: 154.4

overall, great workout. The dips are improving and I'm obviously pleased with my flat bench numbers. Taking off from lifting tomorrow, but doing MMA. I'll report how that goes. Picking back up with lifting on monday with legs.

Coke
04-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Looking forward to hearing about the MMA...props on the flat bench pr, nice workout overall Chris.

offhegoes03
04-02-2006, 03:08 PM
CoCoa: hah, thanks for the props man.

MMA workout

-2 minutes jump rope
-20 pushups, 20 squats, 20 Lying leg raises, 20 crunches
-2 minutes jump rope
-10 sprawls , 20 pushups, 20 squats, 20 lying leg raises, 20 crunches
-2 minutes shadow boxing (the president helped me out with this so I knew what I was doing)
-2 minutes of kicks w/ partner (kick out with front foot, step, pivot and do a roundhouse type kick with your back foot)
-3 minutes punching combinations w/ partner
-3 minutes practicing a takedown
-The rest of the time was with different members showing me different grappling techniques while on the ground and showing me different submission type moves.

Overall it was a great time. I'm really loving this stuff and it would be hard to describe everything we did especially since I'm new to all of it. Definitely going to go to kickboxing tomorrow night. Mondays are usually packed, so I'll see if I can get in the gym to do legs, but if not, I'll do those tuesday.

Coke
04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Glad you enjoyed it up in there, looks like you really had some work cut out for you, lol...this is just for starters bro.

offhegoes03
04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
CoCoa: yeah man, it's definitely a change of pace, but I'm liking it and I'm gonna devote a lot of energy to it.

Kickboxing/Boxing Workout:

Warmup (approximately):
-2 minutes jump rope
-25 pushups, 25 crunches, 25 squats, 25 leg raises
-10 sprawls
-10 knuckle pushups, 10 finger pushups, 5 back of hand pushups
-2 minutes shadow boxing
-Stretching

After warming up and stretching, we started doing some punching drills, etc. Lots of combinations of different punches, ducking under hooks, sidestepping jabs, and too much that I don't remember. Still have a lot to learn, but I'm feeling a bit more comfortable now. Didn't do any kick work today. At the end, I watched some of the other guys spar to get an idea of what they're doing.

That's about it for today. Might hit up legs tomorrow if I'm feeling it, but now that I'm doing the boxing/mma stuff, I might have to reevaluate my lifting schedule so that I don't over work myself. Maybe cut back down to a 3 split and focusing more on compound movements to make sure everything fits? I'll figure it out and keep you guys updated.

Coke
04-04-2006, 05:52 AM
You'll get it all synchronized, lol...meanwhile, as time pass by you're likely to specialize on certain fight moves.

offhegoes03
04-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Cocoa: yeah, it's all a process as with anything new. when i first started lifting a year ago, i could barely do 95lbs BB decline. it's definitely something i'll be looking forward to practicing though.

Taking today off. I don't want to overtrain myself with everything, but I'll lift tomorrow for legs, thursday for back/biceps and then I'm going out of town for the weekend starting thursday night. My fraternity is renting a beach in the outerbanks and we're gonna chill at the beach house for the weekend. Should be a good time.

offhegoes03
04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Legs

Squats:
135x10, 175x8, 195x6, 195x6

G.M.'s:
65x10, 85x10, 85x8, 85x8
Asked my buddy who works as a trainer at the gym if I was doing the form correctly. I still need to work on the form a little bit, so I kept it at 85 to make sure I was doing it right.

+35x12, 135x10
+35x12, 135x10
+35x12, 135x10

Legs

Squats:

G.M.'s:
65x10, 85x10, 85x8, 85x8
Asked my buddy who works as a trainer at the gym if I was doing the form correctly. I still need to work on the form a little bit, so I kept it at 85 to make sure I was doing it right.

+35x12, 135x10
+35x12, 135x10
+35x12, 135x10

Seated Leg Extensions:
130x10, 145x10, 160x8

Seated Leg Curls:
145x10, 160x8, 160x8

Weight: 154.2

Pretty good leg workout overall. I was talking to my friend who's a trainer about what I should do with lifting and the mma/kickboxing. Obviously I shouldn't do deads or heavy leg work right before a practice. But he also told me that it would be better to go a little bit above and then if I feel like I'm overtraining, to cut back rather than doing too little and losing any of my muscle mass gains. I think I agree with him since I didn't feel too sore after the practices. I think I'll keep up a similar schedule, but use the mma/kickboxing days as my "rest" days. I'll figure it out eventually.

Coke
04-06-2006, 05:35 AM
Handling this whole transition smoothly with the MMA. Nice deal with getting your form down on those good mornings.

offhegoes03
04-06-2006, 03:14 PM
CoCoa: thanks man, i always get paranoid that I'm doing certain exercises with imperfect form (usually ones the require my back to stay arched and not rounded), but I guess it's good that I'm at least aware of the problem now.

Back/Biceps

Narrow grip pull ups (underhand grip):
+35x8, +45x7, +55x5, +65x3
Really went all out on these. Hadn't done narrow grip first for a while, so I wanted to see how much I could do. I felt I could do more of the 65, but I started losing grip.

Wide grip pull ups (overhand grip):
BWx8, BWx6, Bx5

DB Shrugs:
50x12, 55x10, 55x10

Alt. DB Curls:
35x16, 40x10, 40x10

Bent over DB rows:
60x10, 60x10, 60x10

DB Pullovers:
50x8, 50x8, 50x7
Some guys were busy at the lat pulldown machine, so I didn't feel like waiting. I've never done pullovers before, but I liked the feel of them.

Weight: 154.4

Alright.. I feel a breakthrough in weight is expected soon. I've been eating even more than usual (4500 cals) the past few days, so I figure if I keep this up, I'll move closer to my goal. Going out of town tonight, so I probably won't be able to lift shoulders/forearms until sunday. My ankle was kinda bothering me today (maybe from the calf work yesterday?), so I didn't do any deads today. I'll take it easy the next few days so that I'm 100% for kickboxing monday. If I feel up to it, I might do some jumproping, pushups, squats, shadowboxing, etc. on saturday.

Coke
04-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Ace switching up grip range on the pullups as well as going underhanded which brings in more biceps imo...great pull day, you deserve to sit back a day or two man.

offhegoes03
04-09-2006, 02:47 PM
CoCoa: Yeah, I wanted to give the biceps more work this past workout, so I did those types of pullups first. I ended up taking both friday and saturday off and just relaxed at the beach. The weather was great.

I was able to make it back from the Outer Banks in time for MMA today, so I went ahead and went to the practice. Definitely learned some new stuff today. Felt really good doing the punches and I feel more confident and stronger when throwing them. Also did a hip toss that I actually picked up pretty quickly and I guess that kind of impressed the president of the club. Learned a way to do an arm bar and a reverse arm bar also. After that, we just did some free grappling and I was able to pick up some pointers from some of the more experienced guys. Overall, a good workout, and I'm looking forward to kickboxing tomorrow night.

McIrish
04-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Hell, really solid pull-ups there, Chris. You'll be a beast in the ring in no time, keep it up.

Coke
04-10-2006, 05:56 AM
Glad to see you pick stuff up so well, you're a kickass bro who is about to put a hurt on dudes 4 real, lol - :thumbup:

Mik
04-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Wow! +65?!!!!! Nice work man.

offhegoes03
04-10-2006, 08:57 PM
McIrish: hah, that's what I'm aiming for. It's all about practice and learning from mistakes.

CoCoa: thanks man. some of the stuff still is taking time to learn, but it is always nice to pick something up really quickly.

Mik: I'd never tried to go really high, so I figured I might as well see how much I could do. Plus it was a bit harder b/c I was doing them on a bar that is much thicker than the one I usually use.

Wow, lots of journal activity in the past day or so.

Kickboxing

warmup was killer.. lots of jump roping, pushups, squats, crunches, leg raises and shadow boxing. Got to work on a lot of kicking tonight, especially once all the formal stuff was over. Also worked on keeping the jab and cross straight and with good form (shoulder covering chin as you throw the punch and other hand held up to the temple). It was a great time tonight. Gonna eat and rest up tonight. Lifting chest/triceps tomorrow.

offhegoes03
04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
chest/triceps

Incline BB:
95x10, 125x8, 145x7

Dips:
BWx10, BWx10, BWx10

Decline DB:
50x6, had to stop at this point

Weight: Don't know.. around 154-155

uggg.. gotta start listening to my body. Woke up with my right arm feeling pretty sore from boxing last night. Felt a little better this afternoon and decided to lift. After the first set of incline, my arm started kinda hurting again. It was weird b/c everything felt fine during the lift, but my biceps just hurt like hell afterwards. Tried to power through, but the pain was unbearable by the decline DB's. I even noticed that I had a small bruise on the inside of my bicep. Gonna rest up until I feel better, but I might be able to work on legs tomorrow since it's just the arms that are killing me. We'll see.

Coke
04-12-2006, 04:19 AM
Paying the cost to be boss with the sore arm, hang tough bro...short and sweet session Chris.

offhegoes03
04-13-2006, 03:14 PM
CoCoa: Thanks man for the encouragement

Back/Bicep

Narrow Grip Pull up (underhand):
+35x9, +50x6, +65x3

Wide Grip Pull up (overhand):
BWx7, BWx7, BWx5.5

DL's:
95x10, 115x8, 135x8, 135x7

DB Shrugs:
50x12, 50x12, 50x12

Lat Pulldowns:
115x8

Weight: 152.4

words can't describe how dissappointed I am in my weight and body. I took off extra time and my arms were fine today. Did one set with lat p.d's and both my arms started killing me again. Looks like I'm going to have to take at least a week off of the gym to be 100% again. Hopefully I won't get put back too much with that. All I want to do is get my weight up to 160, but that seems impossible now. I'm hitting this barrier and I don't know if I can do it. Plus, I'm going to Ireland for 2 weeks this summer, which should be extremely fun, but all I can think about is how much weight I'm going to lose while I'm there. whatever.. hopefully I can bounce back soon

Edit: Also, I know this isn't supposed to be easy, otherwise everyone would be huge. It's just been frustrating lately.

Coke
04-14-2006, 02:39 AM
Also, I know this isn't supposed to be easy, otherwise everyone would be huge. It's just been frustrating lately.

You got that right bro, but this is something we've got to go through - if it was easy more folks would be into it...but as long as you workout, you'll show it and look great. Going away to Ireland has got to be shiznit, no doubt you'll have a super time there.

offhegoes03
04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
CoCoa: thanks for all the encouragement man. I'm trying to take enough time off so that I'll be fine when I go back to all the lifting.

My ankle is still a little sore in the mornings and at night, but it goes away once I start walking a lot. I've been icing it a ton and I might pick up a cheap ankle brace just to keep it stable when walking or doing mma/boxing practices. Also, the weight thing kinda sucks, but I also go by how I look in the mirror and it's not like I'm losing any serious weight. I'm just hitting a temporary setback.

Getting the UFC pay-per-view tonight with the MMA club, so it'll be sweet watching that. MMA tomorrow and Boxing Monday. Hopefully resuming lifting on tuesday or wednesday.

offhegoes03
04-16-2006, 04:14 PM
MMA

Today was pretty fun. Didn't work on much boxing stuff, but we worked on a lot of arm bars, double arm bars, and triangle chokes. We also worked on ways to trick opponents into getting into good position for triangle chokes. After that we just did some grappling. Its funny how much you forget how to do everything you learned when you actually start grappling with someone else. The guy I was going against was about my weight, but a little shorter. He's also been wrestling forever, so he's very good on the ground. He did help me with some things, so I think I'm slowly starting to pick up some stuff. It is pretty hard since I've never done any wrestling or fighting stuff before, but I'm gonna stick with it and hopefully find someone who will be in town this summer to practice with.

The UFC pay-per-view thing fell through last night, so I didn't get a chance to see that. Instead I just hung out and watched a bunch of old fights on youtube. The semester's almost over, so I'll be glad when that comes. I'm ready for a nice, relaxing summer.

Coke
04-17-2006, 05:28 AM
I am in agreement, the practices are fine but nothing is like the real thing to gain actual experience...lots of guys say, "why did I do this, why didn't I do that" - it's just the way it goes, lol.

offhegoes03
04-17-2006, 09:19 PM
CoCoa: yeah, learning by experience is the only way to do it. you can analyze everything and look up how to do stuff on the internet, but nobody's gonna keep still to let you execute a submission while grappling.

Boxing

Tonight we did a lot of stuff working on punching combos (1-2-3, 2-3-2), and some stuff with kicking. My kicking is still god awful, so I really need to work on that. Then again I've only been to like 4 practices where we actually work on kicks, so it'll come with time. At the end, we had some free time, so I worked with someone on arm bars and triangle chokes so that I don't forget everything from yesterday. My arms are gonna be sore tomorrow from holding the pads for kicks and punches, so I'll probably lift on wednesday. I've been trying to eat a ton, so I'm hoping I either put on some weight or just didn't lose anymore.

Coke
04-18-2006, 06:02 AM
Funny how life is; your kicks may not be so great right now but that may be your forte later - you just never know.

Keep putting in the good work, really making excellent time for it which is bound to pay off.

offhegoes03
04-19-2006, 02:09 PM
CoCoa: yeah, it'll be interesting to see where I end up excelling as far as the whole mma / kickboxing thing goes. Who knows, I may just not be suited for the whole grappling bit, or I may get really good at that as time goes on. It turns out a couple of the more experienced guys are gonna be living down here at school this summer and I'll be living on campus this summer once I get back from Ireland. Hopefully we'll find time to train so that I can have an edge for the new people that join next semester.

Chest/Triceps:

Decline BB:
135x10, 155x7, 185x5

Incline BB:
115x10, 135x6, 145x6

Dips:
BWx10, +25x8, +35x5.5, BWx9.5

Superset: Skullcrushers + CGBP:
55x8, 55x10
55x8, 55x8
55x7, 55x7

Weight: 154.2

weight is up to normal, so i'm pleased.. hah next time I complain, tell me to man the **** up and to not be a ***** about it.. hah, that'll set me straight. short but sweet session today. got out of a lab early, so I was able to make a quick trip to the rec before my next class. feeling much better now. my arms were a little sore afterwards, but that may have just been the tricep work. Gonna hit up legs hard tomorrow since I haven't touched them in like 2 weeks.

edit: oh yeah, and it's always good when people notice how much weight you've gained. there was a guy that I used to run with who saw me and asked me what I had been doing in the past semester since I looked like I had gained like 20 pounds. i guess he wanted to know my secret (i.e. food and lots of it)

Coke
04-20-2006, 06:15 AM
...it's always good when people notice how much weight you've gained.

Let a little more time pass, the folks that don't normally see you will freak the most...this is just the start man.

Workout looks good, sounds like a nice deal if you can work in with the more experienced MMA guys this summer.

offhegoes03
04-20-2006, 03:18 PM
CoCoa: yeah, I can't wait til the look on some family member's faces when they see me at the beach this year in mid july. ha they won't know what hit them.

Legs

Squats:
115x10, 135x10, 165x8, 185x7, 205x5

GM's:
45x10, 65x10, 85x10, 85x10
Finally getting confident on the form. Will start bumping up the weight soon.

Superset: Standing Calf Raises + Seated Calf Raises (with long pause at top (3-4 secs)
+35x12, 90x9
+35x12, 90x8
+35x12, 90x7

Leg Extensions:
145x10, 160x9, 170x6.5

Leg Curls:
145x10, 160x8, 160x8

Weight: 152.6

pretty solid workout overall. I'm expecting the weight to go up soon. Just gotta keep eating. Gonna hit up back and biceps tomorrow if I get the chance. My brother's coming in town from south carolina tomorrow evening and it's his birthday on saturday. The band Wilco is playing at my school on saturday, so that should be a sweet concert since I really like their music.

Coke
04-21-2006, 05:20 AM
Nice work Chris, especially with getting on point with the GM's...looks like this weekend is gonna rock for you guys.

offhegoes03
04-21-2006, 06:59 PM
CoCoa: Thanks man, I'm looking forward to this weekend.. my brother should be getting in town later tonight, so I'll be hanging out with him once that happens.

Back/Biceps

DL's:
95x10, 135x9, 135x8, 135x8
Still trying to get these right. If I add any more weight, my form goes to ****, so I guess I just need to get used to these a bit more. Any tips for keeping your back arched for the lift?

BWx10, +25x6, +25x6

BWx10, +25x5.5, BWx8

Bent over DB Rows:
55x10, 55x10, 65x8

DB Shrugs:
50x12, 50x12, 50x11

Alternate DB Curls:
35x16, 40x8, 40x7 (just couldn't get the other arm up to make it 4 for each arm)

Weight: 156.0

hell yeah on the weight. good workout tonight. a little tired, but didn't take away from any of the lifts much. I decided to do the wide grip pullups first this time. Those always take so much out of me, so there was no chance of any +65's on the narrow grip. I had pretty much figured that though. Probably won't have time to work shoulders/forearms tomorrow due to a full day of stuff, but I can squeeze that in on sunday. Won't be able to make mma since I have training all day for an orientation aide position at my school.

Coke
04-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Fine job dude, you are bound to get more comfortable with the deads...I never liked the underhanded pullups.

offhegoes03
04-23-2006, 07:57 PM
CoCoa: this weekend was amazing.. didn't have much time to eat as much as I'd like, but it was an extremely fun weekend. Wilco put on a great show and got to spend some quality time with my bro, his gf, and my cousin.

Shoulders/Forearms

Superset: Upright Rows(EZcurl) + Side Laterals
65x10, 12x10
75x10, 12x10,
75x10, 15x6
75x10, 15x5

Superset: Arnies + Alternate Front DB Raises
40x8, 20x12
40x6, 20x12
40x6, 20x12

Reverse BB Curl:
45x10, 55x10, 55x10

Wrise Rollers:
+5x3, +7.5x2, +10x2

Weight: 151.2

Didn't get to eat much yesterday and earlier today, so not too surprised about the weight.. it's all good though.. just gotta pound those calories. Gonna do some boxing tomorrow night. rest tuesday and resume with chest/triceps on wednesday.

Coke
04-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Sounds super, glad U all had fun...nice supersets for the delts, fine forearm work as well, I hear wrist rollers are killer.

DGabe24
04-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Very nice progress Chris, Ive got my work cut out for me. But heres a warning because I am back in action and im comin for u :burger:

offhegoes03
04-24-2006, 08:24 PM
CoCoa: thanks man, you really gotta try out those wrist rollers

DGabe24: that's awesome that you're finally able to start hitting the weights again. Ha, I might have a brief break in late may for Ireland, but after that, it's on.

Stuff is piling up this week as far as work goes. It's the last week of classes and I have so much crap due. Didn't make it into boxing tonight. Gonna try to lift chest/triceps tomorrow.

McIrish
04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey, great work on the Arnies, Chris - looks like 40 lbs is a little easy for you, eh? 45's are calling your name, boy!

As for deads, I personally recommend trying to look upwards (keep your chin up and eyes looking at something static above you on the wall, etc.), and that generally keeps your back nice and straight. Either way, just keep at it and put on 5 lbs per week/two weeks. You'll be throwing around some serious iron before you know it!

Where are you going in Ireland? I went last October and it was freaking incredible.

offhegoes03
04-25-2006, 05:26 PM
McIrish: Thanks man. That's what I've been trying to for the deads, so maybe I'll just keep trying to do that and move the weight slowly. We're going all over in Ireland. We're flying into shannon. Initially we were gonna go to Dublin, but everyone tells me to go from Shannon to Galway and hit up the aryan islands and the cliffs of moher. Then we can take the train to Dublin. We're also gonna check out a bunch of other cities (Kilkenny, Kilarney, Limerick, etc.) I'm really looking forward to it.

Chest/Triceps

Dips:
BWx12, +35x8, +45x5, +45x6

Decline BB:
135x10, 165x6, 175x5

Incline BB:
95x10, 115x8, 135x6

Incline DB Flys:
30x10, 30x10, 30x10

Superset: Skullcrushers + CGBP:
65x6, 65x8
65x5, 65x7
65x6, 65x4

Finally got some of my work done today. Finished 2 projects and still managed to make it into the weight room. Gonna hit up legs tomorrow.

KevinStarke
04-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Hell yah nice dips man. Solid workout all around.

Coke
04-26-2006, 05:10 AM
Ace job on being so dymanic, you took on and completed them projects plus made it to the gym for a good session.

offhegoes03
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Kevin: Thanks man, welcome to the journal.

Coke: I wish this semester was over, but at least I've got a couple things out of the way now. This is the last week of classes and then I've only got 2 exams and a paper. The summer is almost here :D

Legs

Squats:
I worked on getting nice and deep on these. Luckily the curl jockeys were just finishing up their haaaaaardcore BB curls in the squat rack when I got there.

SLDL:
45x10, 45x10, 45x10, 45x10
Decided to give these a try. Basically just worked on keeping the form with just the bar. I kinda liked these.. felt a good stretch in the hammies.

Superset: Standing Calf Raises + Seated Calf Raises
+35x12, 90x9
+35x12, 90x9
+35x12, 90x8
Just like last week, I focused on a slow pause at the top. Really felt the burn on these.

Leg Extensions:
160x10, 170x9, 180x7

Leg Curl:
145x10, 145x10, 145x10

Weight: 152.6

I've got a busy day today, but luckily I was able to squeeze this workout in the early afternoon. Gave me a huge appetite for lunch though. Gonna take tomorrow off and lift back/biceps on friday. Tomorrow some of the guys in MMA are preparing for a grappling tournament this weekend, so I'll try to get over there and get some practice in since I wasn't able to make it this week. It won't be all out since nobody wants to get hurt.

KevinStarke
04-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Solid workout man nice squatting.

Coke
04-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Good job on adding the stiffies into the mix, glad you like'em - ;) ...truly handling things over this way.

offhegoes03
04-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Kevin: Thanks, I don't think the 195's were getting deep enough, so next time I'll probably focus on getting them really deep.

Coke: yeah, it was a little bit of a strange movement at first, but I'm sure I'll get used to it with a bit of practice.

Back/Bicep (Last night's workout)

Wide Grip Pull Up (overhand):
+25x8, +25x7, +25x6

Narrow Grip Pull Up (underhand):
+256x8, +45x4, BWx10

DL:
95x10, 115x10, 135x10, 145x8
Finally feeling more comfortable with these. Will keep adding weight slowly

DB Shrugs:
50x12, 55x10, 55x12

Bent over DB Rows:
60x10, 65x9, 70x8

Alternate DB Curls:
35x16, 35x11, 35x10

didn't get a chance to type this up last night. gonna do a shoulder/forearm workout later today.

Edit: Anyone know where Mik is? Haven't seen him around the forums lately. I know he slightly injured his back, so maybe that's it?

Coke
04-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Nice session, that is the way to do it - add more weight from time to time.

KevinStarke
04-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Can never be too deep, glad to here your feelin the DL's now the weight will come with time.

DGabe24
04-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Good stuff Chris, keep up the good work. You might wanna try the bb rows like I do, you might like the way it isolates more than the way you do now. Theres a link in my journal. Im gonna try and take the lead again on the bench, we'll see what I can do ;)

offhegoes03
04-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Coke: Thanks for the encouragement.

Kevin: Yeah, I'd hate to move up the weight on squats but be like 4" above parallel. I agree, the DL's should hopefully be moving up soon.

DGabe24: That's interesting. Do you do them with a cambered bar (sp?) ? Or do you just do them with a regular BB and are just not able to bring it up as high? I'll try it out though. Now's the time to try to take the lead in bench. I'm focusing mostly on Incline and Decline for the time being.

Shoulders/Forearms:

Superset: Upright Rows (EZ curl) + Side Laterals:
75x10, 12x12
75x10, 15x7
75x10, 15x6
75x10, 15x6

Superset: Arnies + Alternate Front Raises:
40x7, 20x12
40x6, 20x10
40x7, 20x12
Felt a little tougher than last time I did these. Don't worry McIrish, I think I can handle 45's next time.

DB Wrist Curls:
20x30, 20x25, 20x25

Wrist Rollers:
+10x2, +10x2, +10x2

Weight: 151.2 :scratch:

Good workout. weight's been kinda stagnant for a while now. I know I need to increase my cals, but it's been tough lately. We'll see if I make 160 by May 19th (my 21st bday). It's doubtful now, but I'll keep chugging along. Until then, whole milk will be my best friend.

DGabe24
04-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Nice wrist rollers man, me and you seem to be some of the few that do them. How do you like the wrist curls ive never done them. Recently I have been doing some decline as well, hoping to get the bottom of the pecs good since not much else works there as much. Good luck with that though, cause in bench press ur gonna need it :evillaugh

Coke
05-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Sweet db wrist curls, the forearms will be real tight if you keep them in with the wrist rollers...like the supersets.

offhegoes03
05-01-2006, 04:46 PM
DGabe24: yeah, I love the wrist rollers. hah, bring it on for the bench . I'll keep up.

Coke: Thanks man. I feel like the best way for me to get a lot accomplished on shoulder day is with the supersets. That's the only way I feel a good burn. I'm thinking about getting some of those grippers that Kevin posted about in his journal once I get back from Ireland. I want my forearms to be huuuuuge.

Chest/Triceps:

Decline BB:
135x10, 165x8, 195x4, 195x3
On the first rep of the last set, I hit the bar on the peg. Kinda ruined the set after that. Oh well, it happens.

Incline BB:
95x10, 125x7, 145x6

Dips:
BWx10, +35x8, +45x6.5, +45x6

Incline DB Flys:
35x10, 35x10, 35x7

Superset: Skullcrushers + CGBP (EZcurl bar):
60x8, 60x12
60x6, 60x10
60x6, 60x12

felt good today. been lifting more since mma isn't going to meet anymore since finals started. I should probably still work on jumproping and shadow boxing until I start practicing again with some of the other guys in the club this summer. Resting tomorrow and lifting legs on wednesday.

DGabe24
05-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Nice supersets, do you find them better than doing the two separate? I can do a lot more weight CG than I can on skull-crushers. Im gonna have to try the wrist rollers next workout, nice decline as well.

KevinStarke
05-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Nice pressing man, strong workout.

Coke
05-02-2006, 04:09 AM
Good bb decline and incline man, all else looks well too - luv seeing you do your thing up in here.

offhegoes03
05-03-2006, 05:28 PM
DGabe24: I've never done the CGBP separately, but the skulls plus the CGBP really does a number on your triceps. Even though you're not doing as much weight, you feel the burn.

Kevin: Thanks man

Coke: yeah man, same here. I love stopping by and seeing everyone elses journals. Everyone seems to do their own thing and that's great. Everyone follows similar guidelines, but just implement it differently.

Legs

Squats:
135x10, 185x8, 215x5, 135x10
Felt really good on the 215. Went down pretty far, but I could probably go just a little deeper. I'll work on that. I did the last set with a pause at the bottom.

GM's:
65x10, 95x8, 115x6
After trying 115 for the first time, I have a newfound respect for the amazing GM numbers Kevin put up the other day. Damn did 115 feel heavy. Was still able to rep it for 6 though.

+45x10, 90x10
+45x9, 90x7
+45x10, 90x6

Leg Extensions:
160x10, 180x8, 180x7

Weight: 155.6 :cool:

overall, I'm happy with the workout. Squats are still going well and I know I can do more weight, just focusing on getting a nice deep squat, since that will be more important in the long run. Couldn't do leg curls since they moved the machine to another building to get ready for summer (our rec center is under renovation). The other leg curl machine they had just didn't feel comfortable for me.

a lot's been going on the past few days. getting ready to get out of here for the semester. Got an exam tomorrow (it's in my pass/fail class, so it should be easy) and a paper due tuesday. I'm really looking forward to going to Ireland (3 weeks away) and I've been getting stuff for that. Got a nice new internal frame backpack which I'm excited to use and have a bunch more stuff to get when I get home.

Coke
05-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Them good mornings indeed do demand respect, lol...nice job perfecting your form with the squats.

KevinStarke
05-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Very good that your focusing on keeping good form on the squats it will really help. Goodmornings definitelly take some getting used to and the weight will pile on in time man just keep at it, awesome workout.

offhegoes03
05-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Coke: Thanks man. The form is pretty good now, but every time I move the weight up, I want to make sure that I'm also doing them with good form.

Kevin: yeah, I'm sure the weight will come with time. I had never even tried 115 and that certainly feels heavy doing the GMs.

Back/Biceps

Narrow Grip Pullups (Underhand):
BWx10, +35x8, +45x5, +45x4

D.L.'s:
115x10, 135x10, 155x8, 155x6
The sets of 155 could have had a bit better form, but they weren't too awful. I actually thought I was doing 145 for the first set and it wasn't until I was done it that I realized it was 155. oops.

DB Shrugs:
55x12, 60x8, 60x8

Bent Over DB Rows:
65x10, 70x8, 70x7

DB Pullovers:
50x10, 55x7, 55x8

Alt. DB Curls:
35x18 (9 each arm)
35x14 (7 each arm)
35x10 (5 each arm)

Weight: 154.6

Workout felt good today. Going to lift shoulders/forearms tomorrow and just eat like crazy the next few days. Wanna try to get the weight up to 157 or so soon. Just have a paper left that's due tuesday and then I'm done. I might go home this weekend just to take some stuff home and relax and start working on the paper. We'll see how I feel tomorrow night after work.

Coke
05-05-2006, 08:37 AM
The underhanded pullups are killer especially with a close grip...fine effort.

Keep on bro - the scale will gradually move up.

DGabe24
05-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Nice db rows man 70lbs is really nice. Congrats on finishing your exams too, one more paper and youre a free man. Good work bro, keep it up.

offhegoes03
05-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Coke: yeah, I love doing pullups and switching them up every once and a while. yeah, I'm not too worried about the scale lately. I'll still try to push past this barrier, but I'm not going to get upset if it takes a little longer. It's all about the long term.

DGabe24: thanks man.. i cannot wait to finish this paper.

Shoulders/Forearms:

Superset: Upright Rows (EZcurl) + Side Laterals:
75x10, 12x12
75x10, 15x8
85x8, 15x6
85x7, 15x6

40x8, 20x12
40x6, 20x10
40x6.5, 20x10

DB Wrist Curls:
20x30, 20x25, 20x20

Wrist Rollers:
+10x3, +15x2, +15x1

Weight: 152.8

Short but sweet workout today. Gonna lift chest/triceps tomorrow. Then I head back home on tuesday. Starting wednesday, I'll be looking for some gyms to get temporary access to. My dad has a friend from work who works at a Golds gym in the area. He'll probably talk to her and try to work out something. heh, as long as I have some place to lift weights for the 2 weeks before I head to Ireland, I'll be happy.

Anyone know where Mik is and if he's okay?

Coke
05-08-2006, 04:37 AM
U shouldn't have trouble getting temporary access to Gold's or somewhere, it's only a couple of weeks...good workout.

McIrish
05-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Hey, solid lifts lately bro - I see those deadlift numbers flying up in no time!! :clap:

offhegoes03
05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Coke: yeah, I don't think it will be a problem getting access to a gym for that short of a time.. just as long as I don't have to pay for any of it.

McIrish: yeah, I've been pleased with the DL's so far. They're bound to go up sooner or later.

Chest/Triceps

Incline BB:
95x10, 135x8, 155x5, 155x4

Decline BB:
135x10, 185x5, 205x2

Dips:
BWx10, +35x8, +45x7, +45x5

Superset: Skulls + CGBP (EZcurl):
60x8, 60x12
60x8, 60x12
60x6, 60x10

Weight: 153.8

Taking off tomorrow.. then hopefully hitting up a gold's gym or another gym in my hometown on wednesday. Only have 1.5 more pages to write for this paper and then I'm out of here.

DGabe24
05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Not too bad incline, and beastly decline man. Next week you should try to up that cgbp - sc's. Keep up the good work Chris~

KevinStarke
05-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Strong pressing man, great dips.

Coke
05-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Like them supersets for the tri's, skulls and close grips are a great team - good dips and benching too bro.

offhegoes03
05-10-2006, 01:32 PM
DGabe24: yeah, one week I did try to up the skulls a little bit, but I felt my form slipping up. I'll try upping it up next time and see how it goes. Ha, the incline was done without a spotter too, so I wasn't gonna push myself to failure. Thanks again for all the support.

Kevin: Thanks man, means a lot coming from a strong mofo like yourself.

Coke: Thanks for all of the encouragement from the beginning man.

Legs

Squats:
135x10, 185x9, 215x5, 215x5
135 and 185 were nice, strong and deep. The 215's still need a bit of work, but weren't awful either.

GM's:
65x10, 95x10, 115x8, 115x7
The 115 felt a bit lighter this time. Watch out Kev, I'll be GMing 285 eventually.. hah

30x10, 90x7
30x10, 90x6
30x10, 90x6
The standing calf raises were on an actual standing c.r. machine (never used one before), so not sure how to compare to my usual ones using just a belt and a weight. All in all, I felt incredible burn in my calves, so it's working

HS Leg Extensions:
90x10, 90x10, 110x9, 120x7

HS Leg Curl:
90x10, 115x8, 115x7

Weight: 154.0

So, there's a Bally Fitness Club right near my house, and they have a form online where you can get a 2 week free membership. I figured that was exactly what I wanted, so I checked it out and it wasn't bad. Had a bunch of benches/free weights, squat racks, Hammer Strength Machines, another brand of machines that I forget the name of, etc. I didn't think it would have that good of stuff, but it's not bad at all. So I can go there as many times for free in these next 2 weeks, so I'll be hitting up back/biceps tomorrow and shoulders/forearms on saturday.

DGabe24
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Those are some serious squats man, Im likin it, I think we're even on the GM's however go figure lol with my bad back and all. Anyways, good progress, really driving me to push myself to catch up and all. Im expecting that weight to go up sometime soon with these strong ass lifts becomming so consistent.

McIrish
05-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Solid squats, C. Get some more cals in you, you can growwwwwww.

Coke
05-11-2006, 05:01 AM
Go ahead and do it up at Bally's, they will sure bother the hell out of you in the meantime though.

Nice burn on the calves superset...luv the determination for some super heavy good mornings down the line.

AlecB
05-11-2006, 05:46 AM
If you dont mind my askin, what college are you at in Virginia? Im from Winchester (north on I-81, next to WV), went to VA Tech.

Also, whats your diet like these days? On the first few pages it looked really low-fat. Do you eat any peanut butter, chocolate, etc?

You've really been bustin ass. good job brother - keep up the hard work.

offhegoes03
05-11-2006, 01:49 PM
DGabe24: thanks man, I'm expecting the weight to start going up soon too. Still got a week to get it up a little more for an all time high in time for my birthday

McIrish: I'm trying man. Now that school's done, I find it easier to get more food in. For some reason I don't like stuffing myself before going to class b/c then I feel bloated the entire lecture. So I end up getting most of my cals at night.

Coke: hah, yeah they called me like 4 times to check to make sure I came in for the tour. Luckily the guy who took me around didn't hassle me too much about joining up.

AlecB: Nah, I don't mind. I go to the College of William and Mary. I just finished my junior year and I'm kinda ready to move on. People at WM are so f***ing awkward it's not funny. hah, I don't really regret going there just b/c hopefully it'll help out in the long run with getting a good job, but I realized some of the stuff about it once it was too late to transfer (i.e. end of sophomore year). I actually haven't been tracking my diet that well recently. It's been more of just eating as much as possible. I do eat a good amount of fat. I eat PB, drink tons of whole milk, and eat anything else that will give me the necessary cals.

Back/Biceps

BWx10, BWx8, BWx8

DL's:
115x10, 135x8, 145x8, 155x7

DB Shrugs:
55x10, 55x10, 55x10

Bent over DB Rows:
60x10, 70x9, 75x6

BWx10, BWx8.5, BWx6.5

Weight: 156.0

Really pounding the cals now. If I keep eating a ton, I might be able to get 157 or so by my bday which will be a new high. Didn't know if they had dip belts there, so I just did my pullups without any extra weight. Thanks again to everyone stopping by and offering support.

Taking off tomorrow and lifting again on saturday(shoulders/forearms). Driving up to Albany tomorrow with my brother and his girlfriend to see Pearl Jam play up there. It should be a great concert.

Coke
05-12-2006, 04:24 AM
Nothing beats a Friday night concert imo, that show will definitely rock...moving along real nicely Chris - ;)

AlecB
05-12-2006, 05:21 AM
W&M - yeah man, I know what you mean. The campus is pretty sweet but the some of the people...well, you would know better than me.

You got some great squats. How are those calf supersets working out? Have you done them long? My legs (and calves in particular) are TINY compared to the rest of my body so Im trying to find a good way to beat the hell out of em and get em to GROW.

Enjoy the show. Summer time = festival time :smoke:

offhegoes03
05-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Coke: yeah man, the show was amazing. I've seen them play 3 times now and it was definitely a great show. They played a lot of stuff from their new album and some songs that they hardly ever play live.

AlecB: hah yeah, some of the people there are strange, but I've also met some amazing people there, so it's not all bad. I really like the calf supersets. I should take some measurements again and see if I've grown a bit, but I've always had some pretty big calves for my size.

Shoulders/Forearms

40x9, 20x14
45x6, 20x14
45x5, 20x12
45x4, 20x10

Superset: Upright Rows (Ezcurl) + Side Laterals:
75x9, 15x6
75x7, 15x6
75x8, 15x6

DB Wrist Curls:
25x25, 25x20, 25x15

Reverse BB Curl:
45x10, 45x10, 45x10

Weight: 154.0

I'm surprised the weight is this high.. didn't eat as much since we were in the car so much and had the concert last night. Like I said, it was an amazing concert, so it's well worth it. Back to eating though and counting down the days til I'm 21 and then Ireland. Got mother's day stuff tomorrow, but I'll try to get in and do some chest/tricep stuff later in the evening. I probably won't be able to make it in though, so if not, I'll do that on monday.

Coke
05-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Fine effort man...knew you would have a great time at the Pearl Jam show.

offhegoes03
05-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Coke: Thanks man

Chest/Triceps

BB Decline:
135x10, 185x5, 185x6
Didn't want to go too heavy/to failure. Stopped a rep or two before failure.

BB Incline:
135x8, 155x3.5, 145x5
Oops.. almost couldn't get the 155 up on the 4th rep. Was able to get it up to the safety pins, but I should have had a spotter.

Dips:
BWx10, BWx9, BWx10

Superset: Skulls + CGBP:
55x8, 55x12
65x5, 65x9

Was fighting off the puke monster during the tricep superset, so I didn't do another set. The decline bench was really weird at bally's.. The lowest pin was still a pretty far reach for my arms, so it was kinda awkward. Got a spotter for the last set of 185 b/c I wanted to make sure I could get it all the way up. Wasn't the best workout, but wasn't too bad.

McIrish
05-15-2006, 05:46 PM
really solid decline Chris - hey, whats the height/weight at now?

Coke
05-16-2006, 05:16 AM
The session was cool bro, making full use of Bally's before the trip.

offhegoes03
05-16-2006, 01:57 PM
McIrish: I'm hovering anywhere from 152-156 right now. Usually it's 156 towards the middle of the week and a little lower around sat/sun.. I'm still trying to eat as much as possible, so I think once I get settled in during the summer, I should hopefully put on some more pounds.

Coke: hah, I sure am. I'm glad it was so easy to get it set up b/c I really didn't feel like going to a bunch of gyms and persuading them to let me lift for free.

Legs

Squats:
135x10, 185x9, 215x5, 215x4
Really getting deep on the 215 sets now. Might be able to move it up a bit soon.

GM's:
95x10, 115x8, 125x8

30x8, 90x6
30x9, 90x6
30x8, 90x7

HS Leg Extensions:
90x10, 140x7, 160x5
Didn't note this last time, but for 90, that means a 45 plate on each side, for 140, 70lbs on each side, etc.

HS Leg Curls:
100x10, 115x7, 115x6

Weight: 154.8

Gonna take off tomorrow, but maybe I'll do some jump roping and shadow boxing. Lifting back/biceps on thursday and shoulders/forearms friday, then proceeding to get pretty drunk friday night for my 21st birthday. Although I haven't been drinking much lately, I can't skip out on some guaranteed fun. Leaving for Ireland in a week and I am extremely excited. I'm being that guy and bringing 2 lbs of whey with me so that I can at least get 40g's of protein a day while I'm gone. I got the bags that gnc sells, so they shouldn't take up too much space in my backpack.

Coke
05-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Hell, I'm excited about the Ireland trip and I ain't even going, lol - send me a postcard dude...nice workout.

offhegoes03
05-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Coke: hah, thanks man. I'm glad you're excited for us too. I'm not sure if I'll be sending any postcards home, but I'll definitely post some pictures when I get back in June.

Back/Biceps

BWx11, BWx9, BWx8

DL's:
115x10, 145x8, 165x6, 175x5

DB Shrugs:
55x10, 55x10, 55x10

BWx10, BWx10, BWx9

Lever Incline Row:
90x6, 90x6, 90x6

Alt. DB Curls:
35x14, 35x8, 35x10

Weight: 155

This was a killer workout. The weight was flying up for the DL's and my form was great. I decided to change it up a bit and try out the lever incline row. It felt good since I was getting tired of the bent over DB rows. Overall, it was a great workout. Tomorrow I'll be lifting shoulders/forearms and then celebrating my 21st bday. My license needs to be renewed soon, so I might wake up early and get a brand new drivers license tomorrow morning.

Coke
05-19-2006, 05:22 AM
Was just kidding about the postcard, lol - seeing some pics of the trip would be awesome...fine effort.

Happy b'day Chris - :birthday:

offhegoes03
05-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Coke: thanks man, the 21st bday was a blast

Boxing workout

I really didn't feel like making it down to bally's today. I put together this short boxing workout and did this today just to get active again. Will probably lift chest tomorrow and then it's off to Ireland on tuesday!

2 rounds of:

2 minutes jump rope
2 minutes shadow boxing
30 pushups
30 squats
30 crunches

Very short workout, but it got my heart rate up and gave my muscles a brief workout. 21st birthday was a blast, but it reminded me why I don't drink heavily anymore --> hangovers the next day.. hah all is well, but I probably will continue to keep the drinking to a minimum now, but I'm glad I did go out and have a great time on my birthday.

AlecB
05-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Happy birthday Chris - got any good stoiries for your 21st?

Coke
05-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Wow dude, you are damn near on your way outta here, lol...like them couple of training rounds, those are taxing.

offhegoes03
05-22-2006, 05:36 PM
AlecB: haha, do I ever. Basically it was like any other 21st bday celebration. I got wasted real early, did some embarassing things, and unsucessfully tried to put the moves on some chick who already had a boyfriend. hah, all in all, it was a great night. No passing out at the bar or vomiting either.

Coke: yeah man, I like doing boxing type workouts and it was good since I hadn't done it since I left school. Can't wait to start training with some guys once I'm back from Ireland

Ehh, didn't feel like working out today. Just focusing on getting to Ireland at this point. Going to try to do this trip as cheaply as possible, so not sure if I'll be able to eat a ton. Got some whey that will allow me to have 40g's of protein a day for the trip. Will probably be buying a bunch of lunch meat, bread, bagels, and cheese from grocery stores to eat during the day. Not really worried about losing weight. I think I'll be able to at least maintain during the trip, and if not, I'll just kick my ass once I get back to the States.

McIrish
05-22-2006, 07:59 PM
haha solid 21st effort Chris - I'm disappointed that you didn't beat up said chick's bf and take her home like a true caveman would have, but what can you do...

oh yeah really solid deads by the way, those things are leaping up in here! :thumbup:

DGabe24
05-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Damn Chris, sorry for not replying in so long bro. Hope you had a great 21st, ****s been hectic with me lately. I'm really excited for you to go to Ireland too, you've been hitting the weights like a champ here in the States, so I'd say thats a well deserved vacation man. I'll talk to you soon, keep up the good lifting. Those squats are really impressive, and for the DL's you should try doing maybe 2-3 reps for more sets. Have been reading in a few articles that it tends to be a little more effective and less stressful.

offhegoes03
06-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I had an amazing time in Ireland, but it's time to get back to lifting heavy objects up, down, and sideways. Thanks for everyone's continued support and I have a feeling this will be a good summer for me.

Chest/Triceps

Flat BB:
135x10, 155x7, 175x4

Dips:
BWx10, BWx10, BWx9

Incline DB:
50x5, 50x6, 50x7
hah, had to get used to using DB's for presses again.

Superset: Skulls + CGBP (ezcurl):
55x9, 55x10
65x6, 65x8
65x5, 65x6

Cable Pushdowns (angled bar attachment):
70x10, 90x9, 100x7

Weight: Just under 150

Wow, it felt good to be back in the gym. Lost a little bit of strength and weight, but it'll come back up soon, so I'm not worried. I was talking to DGabe24 online and I'm thinking about changing up my workout to be similar to his but with some different exercises. So starting monday, I'll do a heavy upper day. Then I'll do a light lower, rest, light upper, heavy lower. I'll probably be doing pullups, dips, bench press, some shoulder stuff, skulls + CGBP on upper days and squats, dl's, calf raises, GM's, etc. on lower days. We'll see how this pans out.

On another note, the gym I worked out at today won't give me a cheap membership since I'm not technically a resident of Williamsburg, VA since my job is paying for my housing this summer, etc. Oh well. There's another gym in town, but it's moving to a new shopping center, so it's reopening on monday. I'll go there and maybe I can get a grand opening special or something, but it might end up running me a decent amount of cash a month. Oh well, I gotta lift and that's my only other option. Thanks for everyone's support and I'll be updating again maybe tomorrow (gotta see what equipment my school is offering this summer since the rec center is under renovation). Otherwise, I'll post monday. Sorry this is so long!

Edit: I talked to a friend that has a membership at the first gym. He said that whoever I talked to was full of ****, so I went to res life and got a proof of residency form filled out and stamped. Will try to get the membership tomorrow and then do a leg day.

McIrish
06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
damn, real nice benching Chris. Great numbers for still being <150 lbs.

Yeah, whoever wouldn't let you into the gym is a tool, glad you finally got in there! Looking for some real strength increases now that you're back in the swing of things!

DGabe24
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
That's my boy, gettin back into the weights man that's what I like to see outta u. Lets get these numbers pumpin and it looks like I've took the lead again. I got some numbers ill post for ya tomorrow ;)

Coke
06-10-2006, 07:35 AM
That individual was full of it for sure, who cares where you are from so long as you pay for gym membership in some ways, that's business, lol...no doubt this summer will work fine and in your favor - just stay on track Chris.

offhegoes03
06-10-2006, 12:42 PM
McIrish: thanks man. I'm thinking the strength should come back pretty quickly. On monday I'm going heavy/low reps for upper body, so we'll see how high I can do on the bench. Oh, I will walk the line this summer. I love the gym, so there's no way I can not lift when I have the opportunity to.

DGabe24: hah you're in the lead for now.. let me get my strength and weight back and we'll see who can put up the bigger numbers. hah thanks for the encouragement and I'm looking forward to trying out a variation of your new plan.

Coke: thanks, I should have clarified a little bit. The gym that I'll be going to is the James City/Williamsburg Commmunity Rec Center. So I could have gotten a membership even if I wasn't a resident, but it would be ridiculously expensive and they don't offer the 3 month option for non residents. For residents, a 3 month pass is only 70 bucks and they actually have pretty decent equipment. So that's more of the reason I was frustrated, but I got the pass today and all is good.

Back/Biceps
some guy was busy in the squat rack doing BB curls and kickbacks, so I just decided it wasn't worth waiting. plus the guy was huge, so i wasn't able to dropkick him out of the way

BWx10, +25x8, +35x6
Didn't seem to lose much here

DL's:
135x8, 175x4, 175x4
Shouldn't have jumped up the weight too much. Form was crap on the first set of 175, but it was better on the second.

DB Shrugs:
55x10, 55x10, 55x9

BWx7, BWx7, BWx7

Alt DB Curls:
35x12, 35x10, 35x9 * just couldn't get that right one up.

Hyper Extensions:
BWx10, BWx10, BWx10

Weight: Same as yesterday

Good workout overall. Monday I'll start with the new plan with a heavy upper workout. I got an e-mail from the MMA club president and they're holding informal grappling practices on wed and fri from 5:30-7pm. I made sure not to schedule work on either wed. or fri. so that I'd be sure to make every practice. I might have to change up my plan a bit to make room for mma, but I'll figure that out once we get to it.

Coke
06-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Nice, you've got that all squared away with the workout passes and all. The MMA sessions sound sweet, go for it!!

offhegoes03
06-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Coke: thanks man.. i can't wait to start grappling training again!

Heavy Upper

BB Flat:
155x5, 175x5, 175x5, 175x4

+35x5, +35x5, +35x4

Overhead DB Presses:
50x5, 55x4, 55x3

CGBP (BB):
95x6, 115x6, 135x3

Cable Row:
100x6, 125x5, 125x5

Dips:
+25x5, +25x5, +25x5

Upright Rows (Ez curl):
95x5, 95x5, 95x5

Wrist Rollers:
+10x3, +10x3, +15x2

Cable Pushdowns:
100x6, 120x5, 130x5

Weight: 151

whew, what a workout. I think I'm going to like this b/c I wasn't crazy about only training each body part once a week. This should give me a chance to get everything in. On the light days, I'll throw in some of the supersets for shoulders and triceps. I also expect some of the weights to go up a little bit in the next few weeks (dips, pull ups, bench press, CGBP) since I'm still trying to get some of my strength back. Not bad though. Light lower day tomorrow.

McIrish
06-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Damn your bench strength, haha. Way to get back in there - how many cals are you putting down?

offhegoes03
06-12-2006, 06:21 PM
McIrish: hah, you got me beat on DL strength though. Right now, I'm probably putting down about 3500-4000 cals a day. I try to get about a half gallon of whole milk each day, have a large chicken breast sandwich most nights for dinner, eggs in the morning with milk, etc. I just started adding olive oil to my giant "weight gainer" shakes that I make. 2 Tbsp's increases it by 240 cals. If I don't gain more weight after this, I'll up the cals, but I think I'm fine now. Don't want to gain the weight too fast.

DGabe24
06-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Really good to see you gettin back into the game, Im soo jealous of your MMA training :mad: Just don't rush to get your strength back up, and good job keeping the cals in check looks like you have been working on your nutrition lately as well which is great.

Coke
06-13-2006, 05:30 AM
That is a lot of stuff there but it's good bro...doing the whole upper body thing from time to time is sweet.

offhegoes03
06-13-2006, 01:08 PM
DGabe24: yeah, I'm not pushing it until I'm ready. MMA tomorrow evening.. I'll post how it goes.

Coke: thanks man. I'm following a similar split to DGabe24. I changed some of the lifts, but the idea's the same. Heavy upper, light lower, rest, light upper, heavy lower. On the heavy upper day, I might try to focus on more compound movements for the shoulers. I need to learn how to do millies. I'd probably also cut out the cable push downs since I'm already hitting the tris pretty hard.

Light Lower

Squats:
135x12, 155x10, 155x10

SLDL:
95x10, 95x10, 95x10
I hadn't done these since the first time I tried them with just the bar. Gotta say that I felt really good on these and I kept pretty good form.

had some weird cybex machine for the standing c.r.'s and I don't understand the weight thing. It was labeled 2 - 20 or so. I don't think it was in kg, b/c I used the "6" setting and it felt heavier than 15lbs.. any ideas?
"6"x10, 90x10
"6"x10, 90x10
"6"x10, 90x9

Leg Extensions:
140x12, 140x10, 140x10

Lying Leg Curls:
80x10, 80x8, 75x7

Hyper extensions:
BWx12, BWx12, BWx12

Weight: 150

good workout today. everything felt really good. On heavy day, I'll probably do DL's instead of squats and GM's instead of SLDL. Then I'll alternate it the following week. If I don't do squats, I might add in lunges. We'll see when it gets closer. Tomorrow is my off day for lifting, but I'll be doing MMA in the evening. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Edit: I ordered aCoC gripper to work on my grip strength and to hopefully make my forearms huuuuuge. I was torn b/c I didn't know if I'd be able to easily close the trainer or not. So I just got that one and I'll either buy the no1 if the trainer isn't too bad or the one below the trainer if I can't quite do the trainer. I'll end up paying more for it in shipping costs, but I didn't want to have the trainer and the no1 and then end up having to buy a 3rd gripper. Hopefully it comes by the end of the week.

Coke
06-14-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm gonna cop me some grippers one day too man...looking forward to hearing about the MMA. Nice light lower session.

offhegoes03
06-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Coke: yeah man, I can't wait til the grippers come in.

MMA training

Since it's the summer and clubs can't have official practices, we're doing very informal meetings in the gym at school. We're fine as long as we don't say we're meeting for MMA club. hah, technicalities, but whatever, it's cool. Anyways, tonight was really great. Worked on some take downs and then I grappled with 2 of the other guys in the club. The first one is really good at ju-jitsu and we grappled for a while. I wasn't able to get into a good position on him, but I was also able to hold him back and not allow him any submissions. I then grappled with the club president who probably has 50-60 lbs on me. He asked if I had been practicing since we've been gone, so I guess I'm really starting to get a feel for it, especially since I haven't had a chance to practice until tonight. I have been watching a ton of MMA on tv and youtube, so maybe I'm starting to see things a little better now. Anyways, after that I took a bit of a break since my conditioning isn't the greatest right now. Finally, I worked on some arm bars and triangle chokes to finish up the night. I can't wait til friday and they're talking about doing a monday night practice too. I might not be able to make that because of work, but I'll definitely be training 2 days a week. I'll probably start skipping rope more too to get back into better shape.

offhegoes03
06-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Light Upper

BB Incline: 115x10, 115x10, 115x10

BWx10, BWx9, BWx9

40x8, 15x12
40x4.5, 15x10
My left bicep started really bothering me around this time.

Superset: Skulls + CGBP (EZ curl):
55x10, 55x12
55x9, 55x10

BB wrist curls:
55x15, 55x14

Weight: 153 lbs

not too bad of a workout despite the bicep pain. this seemed to happen to me last time I had just started up doing mma as well. I think I'll be fine once my body gets used to lifting and doing mma again. Cut out some sets/exercises due to the pain, but I think I got a decent amout in considering. Heavy lower day tomorrow followed by MMA training. I also got my CoC trainer grippers in the mail today. I can almost completely close it, so I guess I'll work on that on one of my days off like saturday. Kevin, if you check this out, what do you think I should do? Get the one right below trainer so that I can rep that and work up to repping the trainer? Or just work on getting the trainer closed (which shouldn't take too long) and then eventually work up to repping with that? Thanks man

KevinStarke
06-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I would just work with that one till you can close it, use it 2 times a week and just really go at it.

offhegoes03
06-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Kevin: awesome man.. thanks for the help

offhegoes03
06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Heavy Lower

DB Lunge:
45's x 10 (5 each leg), 55's x 10, 65's x 6

Lying Leg Curls:
80x6, 90x6, 95x6

Seated Calf Raises:
140x5, 140x5, 140x5

Squats:
135x6, 175x5, 195x5

GM's:
115x6, 115x6, 115x6
Are my knees supposed to be bent when doing these? When I bend them slightly, it doesn't feel like it's hitting the hamstrings at all. But when I keep them straight, I feel it in the hamstrings and the calves. Is it bad for my knees if I don't bend them during this motion?

Hyper extensions:
+25x8, +35x5, +35x6

Weight: 153.5

not too bad of a workout at all. The form on the GM's seems pretty good, but I've never been sure about bending the knees or not. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html seems to be showing the guy doing it with straight legs which is how I usually do them. However, I think I remember seeing a vid somewhere here of someone doing them with slightly bent knees. oh man were there some characters in the gym today. One guy was repping 85lb DB's for flat bench press but he probably had the worst ROM I have ever seen. He barely brought them down before pushing them back up. Then there was the guy using straps to do bodyweight wide grip pull ups. He then continued to use them for 45lb skulls and the worst looking CGBP I have ever seen. hah it doesn't really bother me, just makes me laugh. got MMA training tonight, so that should be fun. Until then, I'll be stuffing cals into my mouth.

Coke
06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Slipped in some good upper body work on me bro, somehow I missed it - the heavy leg day rocked, ace db lunges.

Conditioning really is key in what you're doing with MMA, step it up Chris...and have fun with those grippers.

DGabe24
06-16-2006, 02:13 PM
We need to get you some leg strength bro. I was rippin the 45 DB's for 12 each leg ;) Nice GM's though, I found the form just gets more and more comfortable the more you do them. Really good to see your back in the game and puttin up good numbers. Im still jealous of the MMA but I gotta pursue this soccer for my college education still. Good work Chris~

McIrish
06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Great squats lately, Chris. Haha, I can't stand those guys who do 1-3 inches ROM, but whatever, in six months when they're still "repping" the same amount of weight and I've blasted ahead of them, I'll be laughin all the way out the gym door.

offhegoes03
06-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Coke: thanks for the support.. I'll probably do some grip training with the grippers tomorrow.

DGabe24: hah, I hadn't done lunges in forever and I didn't know how much weight to use. I'll probably use the 45's on light leg day and see how many I can do. I'd also like to actually do BB lunges as well.

McIrish: yeah man, it was a freaking joke. He even had someone spotting him underneath the elbows.. it was ridiculous b/c the only time that's really necessary with DB's is if you're bringing them allllll the way down and need a little extra push to get them up.

MMA Training

Did some work on escaping mount today. We also worked on triangle chokes and rear naked chokes. Then some free rolling. I think we'll work a little bit on boxing next wednesday, so I'll be looking forward to that.

I'll do some work with the CoC grippers tomorrow, but other than that, I'm taking the weekend off. Starting off monday with some heavy upper body work.

Coke
06-19-2006, 05:30 AM
You are definitely in flight now with it all!! - :thumbup: ...really get your MMA techniques down, don't stop for nothing.

offhegoes03
06-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Coke: Thanks man. MMA is awesome and the people in the club are great, so I have plenty of motivation to go every chance I get and give it my all.

Heavy Upper

BB Flat Bench:
155x5, 175x5, 185x4

+20x5, +20x5, +20x5

Standing Milli Press:
65x6, 75x5, 80x5
First time doing these. The weight felt great and didn't seem too tough. I'll slowly raise it in the future.

CGBP (BB):
115x5, 115x6, 135x6

Bent over DB Row:
60x10, 60x10
Forgot I was doing low reps and higher weight.

Wrist Rollers:
+10x3

really good workout over all. drank a little too much last night and only got like 4-5 hrs of sleep, so not bad considering. Towards the end I felt a little sick, so I cut out the Dips and sets from the Wrist Rollers. Gotta work tonight so I'll bring a ton of food to eat during my shift. Lifting light lower tomorrow.

Goodwinm
06-19-2006, 02:42 PM
awesome to see you doing some millies man!! thats the way to go ;) hehe.
Your strength with them wil improve dramatically. u just stick at it!

Natetaco
06-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Heavy Lower

DB Lunge:
45's x 10 (5 each leg), 55's x 10, 65's x 6

Lying Leg Curls:
80x6, 90x6, 95x6

Seated Calf Raises:
140x5, 140x5, 140x5

Squats:
135x6, 175x5, 195x5

GM's:
115x6, 115x6, 115x6
Are my knees supposed to be bent when doing these? When I bend them slightly, it doesn't feel like it's hitting the hamstrings at all. But when I keep them straight, I feel it in the hamstrings and the calves. Is it bad for my knees if I don't bend them during this motion?

Hyper extensions:
+25x8, +35x5, +35x6

Weight: 153.5

not too bad of a workout at all. The form on the GM's seems pretty good, but I've never been sure about bending the knees or not. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html seems to be showing the guy doing it with straight legs which is how I usually do them. However, I think I remember seeing a vid somewhere here of someone doing them with slightly bent knees. oh man were there some characters in the gym today. One guy was repping 85lb DB's for flat bench press but he probably had the worst ROM I have ever seen. He barely brought them down before pushing them back up. Then there was the guy using straps to do bodyweight wide grip pull ups. He then continued to use them for 45lb skulls and the worst looking CGBP I have ever seen. hah it doesn't really bother me, just makes me laugh. got MMA training tonight, so that should be fun. Until then, I'll be stuffing cals into my mouth.

hey about the goodmornings, I bend my knees just a little bit, I am able to go a little lower. Try that out. Solid workouts man.

McIrish
06-19-2006, 04:36 PM
damn your benching. keep it up! :thumbup:

Coke
06-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Smooth stuff on upper body day my man...good deal on adding in the millies.

offhegoes03
06-20-2006, 01:28 PM
wow, this journal's starting to get busy

Goodwinm: thanks for stopping by man.. yeah, the millies didn't feel too heavy at all. I'll definitely be bumping them up a bit in the future.

Natetaco: thanks for checking out the journal. I'll try that out on the GM's on friday.

McIrish: yeeeeeah man. I'm gonna be going for some one rep maxes soon. I'm hoping I can get up to 225 or so in 2-3 weeks.

CoCoa: thanks a ton man. You keep supporting me like this and I'll keep pushing around those heavy objects.

Light Lower

Squats:
135x12, 155x10, 175x8

SLDL:
95x12, 105x10, 105x10

Seated Calf Raises (really slow. 2-3 sec pause at top and bottom):
90x10, 90x10, 90x9

Leg Extensions:
140x12, 140x10, 140x11

Lying Leg Curls:
80x10, 80x9, 80x8

Hyper extensions:
BWx10, BWx10, BWx10

Weight: 154

pretty solid workout today. Doing grip work and MMA tomorrow.

Goodwinm
06-20-2006, 04:59 PM
super solid light day my friend! Good old high reps hehe. How tall you by the way man?

offhegoes03
06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Goodwinm: thanks man, I'm 5'8".. hah, I forget who said it on the boards here, but it's the perfect height. Tall enough to still get the ladies, but short enough so that you don't have to put on way too much weight to look muscular.

Goodwinm
06-21-2006, 03:55 AM
Goodwinm: thanks man, I'm 5'8".. hah, I forget who said it on the boards here, but it's the perfect height. Tall enough to still get the ladies, but short enough so that you don't have to put on way too much weight to look muscular.
hehe ;)
ive got my lady! :) and im only 5ft 6 :p (last time I measured) Hopefully tho, I mite have a growth spurt and be a cuple inches taller. my hope is 5ft 8 :D

Coke
06-21-2006, 05:54 AM
I stand about 5'9 and I agree on what you are saying, but the funny thing is I know guys 5'6 standing taller than some guy over 6'2 if you know what I mean - some folks have stature regardless...this was another fine workout Chris.

offhegoes03
06-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Goodwinm: hah, 5'6" isn't too bad.. I was small as **** going into high school and grew all throughout and a decent amount senior year.

CoCoa: thanks man, yeah I know what you mean. Some people just have a presence that demands respect.

MMA Training

Today was pretty sweet. Got to do a bunch of grappling and working on arm bars. We also worked on positions and getting into better positions. One thing we worked on is when someone is in your guard (your legs wrapped around their body) and then suddenly tries to stand up, you can do a couple different things to trip them off and throw them backwards. Then you can go into different positions with your knee on their chest, etc. I free rolled with one guy who was bigger than me, but today was his first day. I actually did pretty decent. Got him on his back and tried to put in a rear naked choke, but he was able to roll me off. He fell into my guard and tried to roll me over, but I was able to get into mount. hah, at that time we were falling off the mats, so we stopped there. We also worked on some boxing towards the end which I needed some work on since I hadn't done it in a while. My arms are gonna be sore as hell tomorrow, so I might push the workouts back a day and do light upper on friday and heavy lower on saturday.

Coke
06-22-2006, 06:11 AM
It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to talk to a few guys here in the same MMA game, or at least check out there journals - we've got a few here at WBB nowadays, maybe we could have our own fight matchups, lol - :D

It is great to see you grow in something you like so well.

Goodwinm
06-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Isnt Anthony training for fighting? MMA or somethin similiar? Might be a good idea to check his awesome journal out!Cuz it rele is awesome!

offhegoes03
06-22-2006, 03:26 PM
CoCoa: yeah man, I know anthony does the MMA thing and I think Chubrock and a couple other people do it. I know they have some threads every once and a while in GPP, so I might check it out once I get more acquainted with the sport.

Goodwinm: yeah, Anthony was doing some MMA stuff before his surgery. I think he's trying to heal up a bit before going back at it. I check out his journal ocassionally but haven't really posted in it lately.

Felt good today, but I didn't want to get to the gym and have my arms start hurting half way through the workout. Rather be 100% and get the workout all the way done, so I'm lifting light upper tomorrow and heavy lower on saturday. Gonna do some grip training while sitting here at work tonight. MMA on friday too.

AlecB
06-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Hey Chris, keep at those standing milis. Ive been using them for a few weeks now and my lower back strength is catching up with the rest of my back. I think its a good compound exercise and definitely worth keeping in the routine.

BTW, I have a job interview with a local high school and the guy just called me today to set up an appointment. Apparently he is a W&M alum and was also in my fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha. What are they like over there? Good guys or tools?

offhegoes03
06-22-2006, 09:15 PM
AlecB: yeah, the millies are great. I'll be keeping them in my workouts from now on. As I'm sure you know, fraternity reputations vary as far as schools go. I've met some PiKA's that are cool guys and some that suck. They kinda have a bad reputation as far as on campus goes though. But then again, I hate judging people by the reputation of their fraternities, so I usually do it case by case. I'm a Delta Chi and we actually just got our charter a year ago and officially recognized on campus here, not sure if they have a chapter at VaTech (that's where you went, right?) or what their reputation is. Good luck with the reputation though.

AlecB
06-23-2006, 08:29 AM
Delta Chi has a strong chapter down at Tech. Good guys, smoke a lot of tweed.

offhegoes03
06-23-2006, 12:15 PM
AlecB: that's pretty cool.. our chapter here is still trying to recover from losing a lot of members at once.. this next semester should be good for us though.

Light Upper

BB Incline:
115x10, 135x10, 145x7

Narrow Grip Pullup (underhand):
BWx10, +20x8, +20x7

Superset: Skulls + CGBP (EZ curl):
55x10, 55x10
55x9, 55x9
55x8, 55x8

Millies:
65x8, 65x8, 65x8
Wanted to get at least 8 reps, so I didn't increase the weight. Next week the weight will go up!

Dips:
BWx8, BWx8, BWx8

DB Shrugs:
50x12, 50x10, 50x12

Superset: Upright Rows + Side Laterals:
65x10, 10x10
75x8, 10x8

Weight: 154

The weight's going up slowly but surely. I was afraid for a while that it was gonna go up too quickly. Still have to look good for the beach in mid July. Hah, but everything's good and I'll continue with the nice slow bulk and maybe try to pick it up a bit after the beach. Had a nice pump today after the workout, so I took a couple upper body pics. Not sure if much has changed since the last pics, but you can be the judge of that (although they are not in the exact same positions).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/majnalyd/detail?.dir=fc1c&.dnm=279b.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/majnalyd/detail?.dir=fc1c&.dnm=d89f.jpg&.src=ph

Now I'm going to reward myself with a shower and a big chicken breast

Goodwinm
06-23-2006, 12:52 PM
sold workout man! real good! Those upright rows give u any pain man? Seems one of the most arkward positions to put my shoulders in if im quite honest. I just do dumbell raises instead.

offhegoes03
06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
the upright rows don't give me much pain. You really have to warm up on them with light weight before jumping into them with more weight otherwise it will hurt like a bitch for the first set. Haha.. try doing the dumbbell raises immediately after the upright rows like I do, and you'll swear you never knew your delts could burn that much.

oh yeah, doing MMA later tonight at 5:30 and then a heavy lower sesssion tomorrow afternoon.

Goodwinm
06-23-2006, 03:19 PM
what db raises u tlkin about? lateral raises?
cuz im tlkin bout these ****ers!

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/DeltoidLateral/DBRaise8.gif

offhegoes03
06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
yeah, I thought you were talking about lateral raises but using a different name. hah

DGabe24
06-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Good workouts Chris, glad to see you are really takin this MMA thing and runnin with it. I'm waitin to hear how u got messed up though, come on ;) Or at least messed someone else up :D

offhegoes03
06-24-2006, 01:44 PM
DGabe24: **** fool, I'm the one messing other people up.. hah, although the more experienced guys are still owning me, I'm doing much better against them when I first started, and that's all that matters

MMA got cancelled due to thunderstorms. The power went out in the gym and they closed it for the night. Oh well, I'll make it out to MMA sometime next week.

Heavy Lower

Squats:
135x5, 185x5, 205x4, 205x4
I'm going to keep the weight here until I know for sure that I'm going deep enough. I'll probably record it next week so that I can see how deep I'm going.

DL:
135x5, 155x5, 175x4, 185x3, 205x2
PR bitches! It's not that the weight is that heavy, I just need to keep my form better on some of the higher weights. First rep of the 205 had pretty ****ty form. For some reason it's hard for me to keep my form on the first rep of higher weights, but I can correct it for the following reps. oh well, I guess I just need to keep working at it and it'll improve.

Seated Calf Raises:
130x5, 130x5, 130x5

Leg Extensions:
155x6, 170x6, 180x6

Lying Leg Curl:
90x5, 90x4
ehh, just couldn't do it today. Don't think my hamstrings were really good and loose.

Hyper extensions:
+25x6, +35x6, +35x6

Weight: 152

pretty good workout overall. definitely stoked about the PR.. going up to maryland tomorrow since I have a physical on monday near my house. haha, I can't wait til they look at the charts and are like.. well you put on 15-20 lbs since the last time you were here.. I'll hit the upper body hard on monday night when I get back down to williamsburg.

Stumprrp
06-24-2006, 01:48 PM
lookin solid bro! lean!

Goodwinm
06-25-2006, 04:14 AM
keep it up man! some solid progress!

Coke
06-25-2006, 09:09 AM
'Solid' is indeed the word for those shots man, you even look like you can kick some butt - you'll get those more experienced MMA guys soon enough…took care of business with the past couple of efforts.

offhegoes03
06-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Stumprrp: hah thanks man.. I'm trying my best to bulk, but no matter what, my body loves to look lean. ha, hopefully when I get back from the beach I can really pack on the pounds w/o really worrying about putting on much fat.

Goodwinm: thanks man, I'll keep it up for as long as I can keep lifting. which hopefully is another 20 years or more.

CoCoa: thanks bro, you always have a kind word or two to say.

I went home (maryland) this weekend since I had a doctor's appointment. Nothing's wrong, but I like to have a physical once a year to make sure everything's good. My blood pressure is still great and no ball cancer, so all is good. Hit a ton of traffic coming back down to VA today, so I'm gonna scrap the workout tonight. Lifting heavy upper tomorrow, light lower thursday, MMA on friday, and heavy lower saturday. Skipping the light upper workout this week, but I think with the MMA work, that'll be fine. Next monday I will be going for some bench PR's, so I'm gonna have to force myself not to try and jump the gun and do it tomorrow.

McIrish
06-26-2006, 05:07 PM
hey awesome deadlift PR record the other day, Chris. Also, looking quite lean, can't wait to see you devour a cow and put some hayooge weight on.

Goodwinm
06-27-2006, 02:51 AM
20 years!???
erm no!!
you gonna lift til your 90 man! no excuses! :p

McIrish
06-27-2006, 01:14 PM
:withstupi

You've got way more than 20 years left in you. Maybe you won't make it as *much* of a priority when you have a 9-5er, but if you think the future Missus won't appreciate a 30 year old guy who doesn't have the average 25% body fat that American men have, you're nuts. I say keep at it.

DGabe24
06-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Sup scrub, just checkin in to see how you are doin. Lets see some numbers or at least an MMA story ;) Hope all is well big man~

offhegoes03
06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
McIrish: thanks man, I gotta start devouring animals left and right after I get back from the beach. ha, 20 years was just a random number I threw out.. I sure as hell be lifting for longer than that. hah every time I see a response from you, I wonder why it's indented, but then I realize it's just the Caaaaaaaaalifornia that's stretching out the box

Goodwinm: If I can lift half of what I can now in 70 years, I'll be happy. hah, but at least I'd still be lifting

DGabe24: here's some numbers for ya.. hah, won't get a chance to do MMA til friday since I'm going to a concert on wednesday and it's back home in Baltimore.

Heavy Upper

BB Flat Bench Press:
155x5, 185x5, 205x2
ehh, wasn't too pleased with this.. the numbers weren't too bad, but I felt really weak on the bench. We'll see how I feel next week. I might have just needed to get used to doing more weight again.

+35x5, +45x5, +45x5

Bent Over DB Rows:
70x5, 75x5, 75x5

Standing Milli Press:
75x5, 85x5, 95x4

CGBP: 115x6, 135x6, 155x4

Alt. DB Curls:
35x10 (5 each arm), 40x10 (5 each arm), 45x3 (3 Right arm.. hah left arm seems much weaker than right.. maybe I should start doing BB curls to even them out or do some left arm concentration curls)

Dips:
+35x6, +35x6, +35x6

Wrist Rollers:
+15x3, +15x2, +20x1

Weight = 153

not too bad of a workout, but I was expecting more from bench. I just wasn't feeling it today for that I guess. I've been using my CoC grippers about 2-3 times a week now. I finally closed the trainer with my right hand yesterday, but my left hand is lagging a bit. Once I can consistently close the trainer for reps, I'll order the no. 1 to work with.

DGabe24
06-27-2006, 03:10 PM
No biggie with the bench, I have definitely had those days. In due time, the numbers will definitely boost up, no worries. Just saw your weigh at 153, damn you are strong for such lightweight. Suprised you can still come close to me :thumbup: Have fun at the concert man~ although im sure ill talk to you before you leave

Coke
06-29-2006, 06:07 AM
No biggie with the bench, I have definitely had those days. In due time, the numbers will definitely boost up, no worries.

No doubt, this is so common - there seems to be a curve within the 205 - 235lb range and imo once you get to benching around 245lbs it becomes shiznit. Isn't that crazy, just a 40lb difference or so does it but hang in there.
All looks well, coming along super with the grippers Chris.

offhegoes03
06-29-2006, 02:49 PM
DGabe24: thanks man.. I'm not too worried about the benching, I'll probably feel stronger the next time I try it. If not, I'll slowly work my way up to your level and then we can begin some real competition ;)

CoCoa: yeah man, I think it's all about just getting used to all that weight. It'll go up slowly but surely.

The concert last night was amazing.. my ears are still ringing now. Drove back down to VA this morning and wasn't that hungry this morning, so really didn't get much to eat before my workout.

Light Lower

Squats:
135x12, 155x11, 175x8

GM's:
95x10, 115x10, 115x9

"6" x 10, 90x8
"6" x 10, 90x8
"6" x 10, 90x9

DB Lunges:
45x16 (8 each leg), 45x14, 45x12

Towards the end of the workout, I was feeling a bit dizzy due to lack of food (i.e. 1 waffle in the morning and nuts on the drive home), so I cut it a little short and didn't do any leg curls or hyper extensions. The GM's were a little awkward with slightly bent knees, so I just have to get used to that. I'm glad I started doing the calf supersets because I almost forgot how much they kill your calves. All in all, not a bad workout. Gotta eat a ton tonight though.

MMA tomorrow night and then heavy lower day on saturday.

Coke
06-30-2006, 07:35 AM
I found out early on that most concerts are pretty good, glad you had a great time. Lack of food or something before sessions do catch up with you, lol - did good just the same.

DGabe24
06-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Glad to hear you had such a good time at the concert bro. However, not being hungry is no excuse not to eat...:bang: On top of that, the lack of food is definitely directly correlated with the workout, but in any case I'm sure you'll be back on top of your game soon enough.

P.S. - I don't know if you'll catch me anytime soon, if I keep feeling and gaining the way I have been ;)

offhegoes03
06-30-2006, 07:01 PM
CoCoa, DGabe24: hah yeah. I wanted to eat big, but I don't like feeling like I'm gonna puke while I'm driving for 3 hours. Believe me, I do eat even when I'm not hungry as long as it doesn't make me feel like I'm gonna puke.

MMA

worked a lot on boxing at the beginning. Worked on some jabs and crosses. Then worked on some different combinations and defensive moves. After that, I sparred for my first time against the club president. We didn't have head gear, so he went a little easy on me as far as not throwing punches too hard. hah, I definitely got rocked a little bit, but I caught on a little bit better towards the end. It's really funny how much you forget once you start actually having to avoid getting punched in the face/body. It's so easy to forget to snap back your punches or keep your gloves up at all times. It's a learning experience, and I want to spar more often now that I have a mouthpiece so I can get better. After that, we rolled for a little while and learned how to get out of side control. Overall a great workout. Can't wait to train next week.

AlecB
06-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Chris - What is MMA short for? Sounds like your doing some boxing which is cool. Great cardio workout. Dont forget to duck tho...if you got a shnozz like me you better watch out. One tap and the blood is flowing like a fresh tapped natty light keg. Nice pics too, super lean.

Stumprrp
06-30-2006, 09:53 PM
nice light day