PDA

View Full Version : Q: Calculating exact food portions to fit desired macronutrient values

hockeyplayer
02-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi,
I've calculated my desired caloric and macronutrient values etc, and come up with food combinations for meals that should reach these desired numbers.

I'm trying to calculate the sizes of each portion of food within a given meal, so that that meal will contain, in total, the desired macronutrient values.

For example: A meal consisting of Ground turkey, sweet potato, and cod liver oil, that should total 15.4g carbs, 18g protein, and 12.3g of fat.

I imagine there's some sophisticated mathematical way of calculating this, perhaps even an online calculator program somewhere. There has to be something better than guess and check right?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan.

tigo
02-05-2006, 07:52 PM
im confused on what you want

do you want a way to measure this stuff? www.fitday.com

i guess just play around with the portions until you get what you want.. you'll need a food scale though

Built
02-05-2006, 08:02 PM
:withstupi

That's how I do it. I put in the foods I want, the fiddle with the amounts until it works out.

hockeyplayer
02-06-2006, 11:14 AM
im confused on what you want

What I mean is, if I want to make a meal that contains X amount of protein, Y amount of carbs, and Z amount of fat, out of say a potato, cod liver oil, and ground turkey, how do I calculate HOW MUCH potato, cod liver oil, and turkey it will take to reach those exact totals.

Perhaps there's some algebraic technique.

tigo
02-06-2006, 11:20 AM
oh no theres theres no technique.. just go on fitday and search for your foods. it'll tell you the macro breakdown by gram or ounce.

then you weigh your food, and plug it in and enter the weight of your food onto fitday serving size and hit refresh. that should give you the numbers you're looking for.

you just have to mess around with the amounts you put in. you'll need a piece of paper to write all this stuff down.

hockeyplayer
02-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Ok, after talking to my Math major friend Stefan, here's the technique.

(ratio of food1)*(carbs per food1) + (ratio of food2)*(carbs per food2) + (ratio of food3)*(carbs per food3) = total number of desired carbs

(ratio of food1)*(protein per food1) + (ratio of food2)*(protein per food2) + (ratio of food3)*(protein per food3) = total number of desired protein

(ratio of food1)*(fat per food1) + (ratio of food2)*(fat per food2) + (ratio of food3)*(fat per food3) = total number of desired fat

by "ratio" he meant= portion of standard measurement unit, ie. if it's 0.75 for a potato, that's 0.75 average potatoes.

So you take these 3 equations and use the results to solve for the 3 "ratios." In the above example I gave of a 15.4g carb, 18g protein, 12.3g fat meal, consisting of ground turkey, sweet potato, and cod liver oil, the ratios were roughly 0.75 potatos, 0.56 3oz ground turkey breasts, and 0.05 cups of cod liver oil.

ddegroff
02-07-2006, 10:00 AM
wow your making it way to difficult. go check out fitday.com... so much easier than those equations, plus it figures everything out for you!

deeder
02-07-2006, 10:08 AM
uhh...

fitday.com....

What you suggested above made no sense... And would also imply that you know offhand the macronutrient breakdowns of everything you are eating...

ddegroff
02-07-2006, 10:35 AM
all he is trying to figure out is how much to eat in each meal. I was just saying play around with fitday.com and the ratio's on there. If you need to eat so many carbs perday then just divide that by the meals that your going to eat.

And yes I do the majority of the macro's of the food I eat on a daily basis (off the top of my head).

ReelBigFish
02-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Ok, after talking to my Math major friend Stefan, here's the technique.

(ratio of food1)*(carbs per food1) + (ratio of food2)*(carbs per food2) + (ratio of food3)*(carbs per food3) = total number of desired carbs

(ratio of food1)*(protein per food1) + (ratio of food2)*(protein per food2) + (ratio of food3)*(protein per food3) = total number of desired protein

(ratio of food1)*(fat per food1) + (ratio of food2)*(fat per food2) + (ratio of food3)*(fat per food3) = total number of desired fat

by "ratio" he meant= portion of standard measurement unit, ie. if it's 0.75 for a potato, that's 0.75 average potatoes.

So you take these 3 equations and use the results to solve for the 3 "ratios." In the above example I gave of a 15.4g carb, 18g protein, 12.3g fat meal, consisting of ground turkey, sweet potato, and cod liver oil, the ratios were roughly 0.75 potatos, 0.56 3oz ground turkey breasts, and 0.05 cups of cod liver oil.

why are you trying to have a certaion ratio for every meal you eat, why are you trying to have ratios period??

have 1-1.5g. prot. per lbm, .5 g fat per lb., and fill in the rest with carbs, and some prot. and fat. too, what ever floats your boat. you don't have to have the "right" amt. of everything in each meal

tigo
02-07-2006, 03:48 PM
equations:boring:

fitday is alot more efficient
just change the number and press refresh..