PDA

View Full Version : Cardio and Weights

Axl
02-06-2006, 09:44 AM
G’day All, 1st post

Before I begin I should tell you a little about me.

I have always been a physical person and at the age of 16 I began lifting weights. I am now 17.5 and very happy with the results, both strength wise and aesthetically. I have also learned a lot about my body and its capabilities.

I am very interested in joining the Australian Defense Force and I know that their fitness routines involve a lot of cardio workouts. I will be applying in 6 months time and hope to be in top condition for when training commences (If I get in of course).

I plan to continue on with my weights routine; however I would like to increase my cardio workout dramatically e.g. an hour or running/sprinting/swimming a day.

From what I understand, doing a lot of cardio while lifting weights causes you to loose muscle mass and physique? If one looses muscle mass do they therefore loose strength? I am worried that if I increase my cardio workout dramatically I will hold back my ever improving weights routine. Is there any way I can decrease the affects cardio has on weight lifting e.g. eat more, lift more? Any info would be appreciated. :)

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Cheers

Axl
02-07-2006, 09:50 AM
No replies? Hmm...

To clarify. I am not worried about size gains. However I am worried that if I do a lot of cardio I will hold back strength gains.

Will I be able to continue gaining strength while doing an intensive cardio routine or will cardio dramatically slow down my strength gains?

Cheers

ArchAngel777
02-07-2006, 09:52 AM
You sort of have several questions mixed in together. If you are not attempting to gain size and only care about strength, then I would lay off the cardio and eat plenty. If you want to be more athletic, I would lift heavy, do cardio and either cut (if you are a fatty) or bulk and even possibly maintain.