PDA

View Full Version : What will happen if I...

SabresRock299
02-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Im 6'2" @ 230 lbs. I want to drop some bodyfat before summer but I dont want to feel week. All the gym rats where I work out say I need to lose 20 or so lbs in order to look cut. Well, I was wondering what will happen if I do the following...

Weeks 1 and 2 - Start doing cardio 3 - 4 times per week.

add

Weeks 3 and 4 - Clean up my diet.

add

Weeks 5 and 6 - Take a fat burning supp

add

Weeks 7 and 8 - drop calories down from about 4,200 to 3,900

Keep in mind im not going into any type of competition so I dont need to look super cut. Im around 19% bodyfat right now. Id like to get to the low teens by summer.

SabresRock299
02-08-2006, 06:50 AM
PS: Im 230 and everyone says I look about 200. I definitly looks small for my weight. Are some people "denser" than others?

Unreal
02-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Read Built's cutting guide and follow it. Cardio is to train your heart/lungs, not for weightloss. Your diet should always been clean anyways, start fitdaying and tracking everything you eat. A thermo like thermocin from ALN can be helpful during hard cutting for appetite suppression and energy. 3900 cals is still tons and I doubt you'll be dropping much fat on 3900 cals unless your maintence is 4400+.

Mik
02-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Im 6'2" @ 230 lbs. I want to drop some bodyfat before summer but I dont want to feel week. All the gym rats where I work out say I need to lose 20 or so lbs in order to look cut. Well, I was wondering what will happen if I do the following...

Weeks 1 and 2 - Start doing cardio 3 - 4 times per week.

add

Weeks 3 and 4 - Clean up my diet.

add

Weeks 5 and 6 - Take a fat burning supp

add

Weeks 7 and 8 - drop calories down from about 4,200 to 3,900

Keep in mind im not going into any type of competition so I dont need to look super cut. Im around 19% bodyfat right now. Id like to get to the low teens by summer.

#1 - read Built's sticky
#2 - clean up diet now and track.

If you want to cut there's no point postponing cleaning up your diet. If you do this and stick with it you can get in the low teens. Good luck!

Y0yo
02-08-2006, 09:09 AM
As mentioned above. Your weight loss will not come with cardio, it will come with diet. Lift hard and eat right.

SabresRock299
02-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Doesnt cardio boost metabolism though? Thus leading to fat loss?

I guess my question isnt how to cut its... Can I lose bodyfat without losing weight?

PS: My diet is already pretty clean. I do eat alot off eggs, almonds, whole wheat bread etc... and I know you need to alter your protein/carb/fat ratio during a "cut".

PPS: When are you supposed to start a cut? My current track is for March 15'th in hopes of getting cut for the summer months.

eatit
02-09-2006, 09:03 AM
I guess my question isnt how to cut its... Can I lose bodyfat without losing weight?

meaning in your case going from 230 fat and muscle to a cut low bf % 230? not by summer. You should focus on either losing fat or gaining muscle. If you try and do both at once you'll end up doing neither.

PPS: When are you supposed to start a cut? My current track is for March 15'th in hopes of getting cut for the summer months.

it all depends on how you want to cut and what your goals are.

doing a crash diet/PSMF will give you results sooner. But it'll be harder and far less pleasant.

start by stabalizing your diet now and then go from there to figure out how long it will take and how many calories you need to drop.

SabresRock299
02-09-2006, 03:09 PM
meaning in your case going from 230 fat and muscle to a cut low bf % 230? not by summer. You should focus on either losing fat or gaining muscle. If you try and do both at once you'll end up doing neither.

it all depends on how you want to cut and what your goals are.

doing a crash diet/PSMF will give you results sooner. But it'll be harder and far less pleasant.

start by stabalizing your diet now and then go from there to figure out how long it will take and how many calories you need to drop.

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me if my current diet is alright?

Protein: Eggs, Canned Tuna, Chicken/Sausage Patties (low in all fats), Chicken Breast, Skim Milk

Carbs: Instant Brown Rice, Quaker Oatmeal, Whole Wheat Spaghetti, Triscuts, Total Cereal, 12 Grain Bread

Fats: Almonds, Natural Peanutbutter

Fruits/Veggies: Banana, Apple, Carrots, V8 Vegetable Juice, OJ (post workout only)

Supplements: Fish Oil, Multi Vitamin, Whey Protein, Green Tea

This is EVERYTHING I eat. Honestly, these are the only foods I buy when I go shopping. I cheat with Pizza maybe once every 2 months.

Im 230 and still on a bulk so Ill eat between 4,000 and 4,300 calories a day. I divide the 4,000 or so calories into 5 equal meals so Im eating around 800 calories per meal. I would give you a more specific daily diet but I try and vary my carbs/proteins/fats as much as I can. Am I doing anything wrong?

PS: I just started drinking water with my meals about two weeks ago and Ive lost 2 - 4 lbs. I dont understand why because Ive hit my daily caloric needs every day. What the deal with that?

Y0yo
02-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Track you calories on fitday. Guesstimates rarely work. 2grams of protein per lbs of LBM and at least .5grams of fat per lbs of bodyweight, fill the rest up with whatever makes you happy. Some people low carb it, others seem to have no problem with higher carbs. Figure out what you can manage, and stick with it.

Out of curiosty, why do you list green tea as supplement. Wouldn't you consider that just a drink?

eatit
02-10-2006, 08:55 AM
green tea is supposed to help with fat metabolism or something

Y0yo
02-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Perhaps...but isn't it a drink, not a supplement. I drink green tea all day..

getfit
02-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Perhaps...but isn't it a drink, not a supplement. I drink green tea all day..
they also come as tabs

Y0yo
02-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Would that be green tea extract? Or am I just making things more complicated than they should be?

getfit
02-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Would that be green tea extract? Or am I just making things more complicated than they should be?
from what i've seen, yes

Shao-LiN
02-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Doesnt cardio boost metabolism though? Thus leading to fat loss?

To put it in perspective, resistance training will raise your metabolism for a much longer duration than cardio will. Cardio can be used as a calorie burner, but it does not raise your metabolism for a very extended period.

Sisay
02-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Cardio doesn't speed up metabolism. Cardio burns calories. Let's use Joe as an example.

3500 calories = 1 pound of fat

Intake: 3500calories
Average Expenditure: 3500calories

So, in the day of Joe's life, he consumed enough calories to gain 1 pound of fat, but he also burnt enough calories to lose 1 pound of bodyfat. Thus, there is no net change in weight.

Intake: 3500calories
Average Expenditure + Cardio: 3500 + 200 from cardio = 3700 calories

That's a loss of 200 calories a day, if this is maintained.

That's 1400 a week, so in 3 weeks, Joe will have lost 1 pound of fat and 100 calories. This is not the only drop, as most people also lose several pounds of water weight with the constant sweating of cardio.

As you can see, cardio works, but isn't amazingly effective. If we manipulate diet, however...

Intake: 3000 calories.
Average Expenditure: 3500
Net: -500

In 1 week, Joe will have lost a pound of body fat, if he maintains muscle through lifting or whatever. If they are combined...

Intake: 3000 calories
Expenditure: 3500 +200 from cardio = 3700
Net: -700 calories

In five days, Joe will have lost a pound of body fat.
===
To conclude, exercise and diet will lose you weight. Exercise alone is hardly effective and diet alone will probably not get rid of water weight, the extra 1-3 pounds Joe could lose from cardio. Combined, Joe could lose 5 pounds in a month, easy.

This is all assuming you maintain muscle. The decrease in caloric intake in addition with cardio tearing down your muscle, you will probably lose some muscle mass as well. Sorry to say, but you can't have it both ways for long. For a couple weeks, you might be able to pull it off, but your body will gravitate to one side or the other, fat and strong or skinny and lean.