PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol?

MJS
02-08-2006, 07:19 AM
I know there must be a thousand posts out there on the downfalls of alcohol on a routine, however, when I searched the posts for "alcohol" the four posts returned were dissappointing. Nothing answered what I was looking for.

There is most likely a great chance that I searched incorrectly. If someone has some good threads on them, please post here.

If not, my questions are:
1) Just how detramental is 3-4 nights of drinking per week? (I am studying in London right now and its practically a 24/7 spring break for us Americans. Yes, London.)

2) If I am going to drink, what should I drink? I hear Guiness is low on the cals but what about the others? What about liquor - bacardi and diet cola? Gin and tonic? What's the deal?

3) Lastly, but certainly not least, what are some adjustments that I can make to my routine in order to combat my currently unhealthy night life?

If need be, I can post my routine and diet. In a rush now however.

Cheers

TheGimp
02-08-2006, 07:24 AM
1) 3 - 4 nights? Don't bother lifting.

2) With reference to 1), whatever you prefer the taste of/gets you wasted/whatever

3) See 1)

:)

Unreal
02-08-2006, 07:28 AM
This site is populated and for people serious about lifting. If your going to drink 3-4 times a week your just going to get told to stop. I try to keep my alcohol intake to 3-4 drinks every 2 weeks. A night of drinking absolutely destory my gym time for 2-3 days after.

Search as there is tons of threads on alcohol telling you how ****ty it is for you.

rk77
02-08-2006, 09:59 AM
While drinking that much is def not good, it aint the end of the world. I do it during the summer sometimes and def did over winter break. (Never really comprimised my abs all that much). Didn't really take much to keep maintence. Just keep your diet in check. I'd say high protein while keeping carbs low. Anyway liquor and diet soda is a good choice. Guiness is not low in calories, switch to light beer. Miller lite has 95 cals and is low in carbs, def a good choice. Just look to maintain while your in London and have a good time. Workout and eat right and the drinking will not be that big of a deal. Gotta live life man, drink up and when you get back from London cut back on the drinkin a little.

offhegoes03
02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
drinking is one of the things that absolutely ruins my lifting routines. I think the thing it affects most is my appetite. So basically that's 2 days I can't load up on calories. Then again, I'm in college and in a fraternity, so I can't really avoid drinking all the time. I'm down to drinking once a week and not too heavily, but I'd definitely like to decrease that even more. Which is kinda tough when you want to have a good time and drink with everyone else, but it's not like it's hard to have a good time sober. So I'd say that if possible, cut it down to one night a week or even less.

Meat_Head
02-08-2006, 10:45 AM

2) With reference to 1), whatever you prefer the taste of/gets you wasted/whatever

3) See 1)

This is crap.

Drinking obviously doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt your progress nearly as much as everyone wants you to think. I've never noticed any affect on my gains, even when drinking 3 or more times a week.

Arnold: "Milk is for babies, Arnold drink BEER!"

Liquor is almost always better for you than beer. The more expensive, the better. Remember, the most important thing you can do after a night of hard drinking is to drink a ****load of water. Usually I get up a couple times in the night to drink more water or milk or something to stay hydrated.

greathuskie
02-08-2006, 10:49 AM
meathead, why is liquor better then beer? i dont like beer at ALL, the only thing i drink is liquor, just curious why its better for you. not so many empty calories?

Meat_Head
02-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm no expert, but beer is brewed ridiculously fast in gigantic vats. The quality is much lower simply because they need to make alot to sell. Its much less pure, it has alot of excess crap that does nothing good for you. Liquor, on the other hand, is brewed in much smaller amounts and distilled for a much longer period of time. This improves the quality and purity.

JimR
02-08-2006, 11:37 AM

3) See 1)

Baloney, you could get falling down pie faced drunk 3 times a week and still make good gains. Of course the drinking is detrimental but to say don't bother lifting is just plain wrong.

skaterdude
02-08-2006, 11:39 AM
yeah, its not the end of the would. you deffently wont be able to make huge gains while drinking all the time.

But i dont see how people on this board will tell you that your better off drinking alot and not working out.what a bunch of snobs!

obviously no matter what, if you pick up those weights and lift your ass off, YOUR GOING TO GET BIGGER. it may not be optimal (sp) but it will help.

also when I'm at the bar i pretty much only drink things like

bloody marrys
screw drivers
cape cods.

All those drinks have Vitamins in them too! and 3 or 4 drinks and your trashed.

TheGimp
02-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Given that protein synthesis is halted while you metabolise alcohol, not to mention the numerous other deletrious effects it has on metabolism, you're writing off any workouts you do before the drinking session, and feel **** the day after.

I am not saying do not drink. I am saying that 3 - 4 sessions a week is excessive.

skaterdude
02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=skaterdude]what a bunch of snobs!QUOTE]

Also drink heaps of water after you drink to get the bad stuff out of you and take a multi Vitamin (with 100% niacin) every day

and have a drink for me!

MJS
02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
I agree with some of what I have read; certainly not all. I will say that the nights of extreme drunkeness often correlate to a ****ty lift - mainly in terms of energy: it simply is not there. However, when I drink, I will 9 times out of 10, not get blackout drunk, and will drink plenty of water, pop a multivitamin at 6am and by 9am I am 100% fine.

I will contest that two summers ago I worked 14 hrs a day (no lie, 2 jobs) to get a ton of money. I didn't drink but maybe twice that summer and I got cut as hell. (The jobs were a lumber yard: tons of heavy lifting, and valeting: tons of sprints). I only wish that I had know what I know now about dieting because I didn't have nearly the caloric intake I needed to get the gains I wanted. With that said, that summer I was the most cut (and arguably biggest) I have ever been.

Is it because of the alcohol? Probably somewhat but not entirely. Along with my tiresome jobs I managed to lift 3 days a week - and on the weekends went for long mountain biking rides and runs. Ahh, life was great.

I do not think though, that with 2 nights of drinking incorporated into that summer, that things would have been any different. Hell, with the extra calories it may have even HELPED my size. Who knows..?

Another question I had about alcohol was the effects that it has on creatine. I take cell-tech from GNC and obviously the principal is that water is force-fed to your muscles more rapidly than without creatine. But what if the water is not there? Are the effects of the creatine being mitigated by alcohol consumption?

skaterdude
02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Umm, thats a tough one, you might be wasting your $$$ on creatine and the combination of booze and creatine might be very bad for you liver.

i wouldnt use creatine and drink heavy.

but im extreamly parinod about mixing alcohol and anything.

MJS
02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
i wouldnt use creatine and drink heavy.

Yikes, cheers mate.

NormalDude
02-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I believe I read on this site that alcohol turns to estrogen in your system. If thats the case I wouldnt want to drink at all to hurt the test production in my body.

MJS
02-08-2006, 12:05 PM
hm, not quite sure I believe it. But if it's true everything in this universe has a counter-part. So what turns to testosterone?

TheGimp
02-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Food for thought:

Alcoholic beverages as a source of estrogens (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15706799&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum)

Alcoholic beverages contain not only alcohol but also numerous other substances (i.e., congeners) that may contribute to the beverages' physiological effects. Plants used to produce alcoholic beverages contain estrogenlike substances (i.e., phytoestrogens). Observations that men with alcoholic cirrhosis often show testicular failure and symptoms of feminization have suggested that alcoholic beverages may contain biologically active phytoestrogens as congeners. Biochemical analyses have identified several phytoestrogens in the congeners of bourbon, beer, and wine. Studies using subjects who produced no estrogen themselves (i.e., rats whose ovaries had been removed and postmenopausal women) demonstrated that phytoestrogens in alcoholic beverage congeners exerted estrogenlike effects in both animals and humans. Those effects were observed even at moderate drinking levels.

TheGimp
02-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Some more:

Alcohol's effects on male reproduction (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15706796&query_hl=7&itool=pubmed_docsum)

The male reproductive system consists of the hypothalamus, the anterior pituitary gland, and the testes. Alcohol can interfere with the function of each of these components, thereby causing impotence, infertility, and reduced male secondary sexual characteristics. In the testes, alcohol can adversely affect the Leydig cells, which produce and secrete the hormone testosterone. Studies found that heavy alcohol consumption results in reduced testosterone levels in the blood. Alcohol also impairs the function of the testicular Sertoli cells that play an important role in sperm maturation. In the pituitary gland, alcohol can decrease the production, release, and/or activity of two hormones with critical reproductive functions, luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone. Finally, alcohol can interfere with hormone production in the hypothalamus.

MJS
02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Intriguing. Sucks for everyone as the article stipulates that this happens even in moderate drinking. Interesting though.

HardToSquat
02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Ok all. I can give a real life weightlifting example of when I drank like a fish and worked out.

Between May 2004 and October 2004 I lifted while drinking way too much. How much? I was up to drinking almost a bottle of wine every other night and working about twice a week. I was hammered almost every other night from this and my results on this wild several month drinking binge are as follows:

May 2004

Weight=245
Height 6'3
Squats 165
Dumbbell Bench 70
Chin Pulldowns 220
HS Lateral Raise 105
Weighted Dips BW+55

October 2004

Bodyweight 255-260

Squats 135
Dumbbell Bench 60
Chin Pulldowns 165
HS Lateral Raise 95
Weighted Dips BW

I can say with confidence that at least my experience here was that drinking several nights a week and lifting do not mix well for any gains.

HardToSquat
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Sorry, left out a word in the previous paragraph

"Between May 2004 and October 2004 I lifted while drinking way too much. How much? I was up to drinking almost a bottle of wine every other night and working out about twice a week. I was hammered almost every other night from this and my results on this wild several month drinking binge are as follows":

Brink
02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Food for thought:

Alcoholic beverages as a source of estrogens (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15706799&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum)

give me a break.

ncsuLuke
02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
drinking is one of the things that absolutely ruins my lifting routines. I think the thing it affects most is my appetite. So basically that's 2 days I can't load up on calories. Then again, I'm in college and in a fraternity, so I can't really avoid drinking all the time. I'm down to drinking once a week and not too heavily, but I'd definitely like to decrease that even more. Which is kinda tough when you want to have a good time and drink with everyone else, but it's not like it's hard to have a good time sober. So I'd say that if possible, cut it down to one night a week or even less.

i feel your pain

if i drink during the week i just make that my cheat meal

rk77
02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Liqour has less cals then beer, so if you drink it strait or mix it with diet soda its less cals then beer and can get you just as messed up. Also, some of you need to relax and stop worrying the natty light your sippin on is gonna cause your testosterone to go down. Live a little.

TheGimp
02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
give me a break.

A compelling argument you make there, sir.

Brink
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
im not saying the article is wrong, it's just another one of those things.

Mik
02-08-2006, 02:24 PM
A compelling argument you make there, sir.

LOL!

offhegoes03
02-08-2006, 02:32 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't drinking a ton usually result in an incomplete night's sleep? like say you get home and 3 or 4 am and then sleep for 10 hours. Even though you're getting a lot of rest, you really do not feel well rested the next day. I think it's because you miss REM sleep or something along those lines. So if this is true, getting really drunk the night after a workout deprives the body of some much needed rest time.

Mik
02-08-2006, 02:34 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't drinking a ton usually result in an incomplete night's sleep? like say you get home and 3 or 4 am and then sleep for 10 hours. Even though you're getting a lot of rest, you really do not feel well rested the next day. I think it's because you miss REM sleep or something along those lines. So if this is true, getting really drunk the night after a workout deprives the body of some much needed rest time.

I think I've read something along those lines. You fall asleep/pass out but instead of resting your body is trying to burn off the alcohol. Could be bogus but I recall seeing this.

ddegroff
02-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Gimp have you read the actual article or just the abstract? Its good info but I would like to see the whole article.

I feel binge drinking is negate your gains you make from weight lifting.

ddegroff
02-08-2006, 03:00 PM
im not saying the article is wrong, it's just another one of those things.

can you explain?

TheGimp
02-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Gimp have you read the actual article or just the abstract? Its good info but I would like to see the whole article.

Nope I haven't read the whole article yet, but found it here: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/220.pdf

Meat_Head
02-09-2006, 10:05 AM
May 2004

Weight=245
Height 6'3
Squats 165
Dumbbell Bench 70
Chin Pulldowns 220
HS Lateral Raise 105
Weighted Dips BW+55

October 2004

Bodyweight 255-260

Squats 135
Dumbbell Bench 60
Chin Pulldowns 165
HS Lateral Raise 95
Weighted Dips BW

I can say with confidence that at least my experience here was that drinking several nights a week and lifting do not mix well for any gains.

Sounds like something was SERIOUSLY ****ed up with your training. I've been drinking 4+ nights a week for the past couple months and I've put 30lbs on my squat.

About the REM sleep... alcohol does suppress it. The good thing is that the more your body is deprived of it, the quicker you go into REM sleep and the REM sessions are INTENSE(hence alcoholics having nightmares all the time when they quit). Just don't let it get out of hand, and remember DRINK WATER!

ddegroff
02-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Gimp - very interesting articleits definantly food for thought

HardToSquat
02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Meathead: You are correct. My training, diet and alcohol consumption was f**ked up; however, being 33 years old at the time and a heavy drinker is a lot more different than being a teenager/early twenty year old heavy drinker where your body is in it's prime growth years. You can drink and eat like sh*t and still have gains. At 33 years old and doing that your training will most likely regress no matter what.

My current journal after getting my training sorted out can be found at:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74241

The lifts have changed dramatically since my 2004 botched training.

Davidelmo
02-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I just wouldn't do it:

Dehydration
Halting protein synthesis
Affects appetite and mood

There are some good short term reasons.

The long term effects are obviously and well publicised.

d'Anconia
02-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I know there must be a thousand posts out there on the downfalls of alcohol on a routine, however, when I searched the posts for "alcohol" the four posts returned were dissappointing. Nothing answered what I was looking for.

There is most likely a great chance that I searched incorrectly. If someone has some good threads on them, please post here.

If not, my questions are:
1) Just how detramental is 3-4 nights of drinking per week? (I am studying in London right now and its practically a 24/7 spring break for us Americans. Yes, London.)

2) If I am going to drink, what should I drink? I hear Guiness is low on the cals but what about the others? What about liquor - bacardi and diet cola? Gin and tonic? What's the deal?

3) Lastly, but certainly not least, what are some adjustments that I can make to my routine in order to combat my currently unhealthy night life?

If need be, I can post my routine and diet. In a rush now however.

Cheers

I don't feel like reading the whole thread so bear (or is it bare?) that in mind.
1.) I drink probably 3 night a week at least and it might have slowed down my progress but I've still seen better progress than most people in the gym.

2.) I personally don't know how many calories are in alcoholic beverages but I doubt it's that much. 7 calories per gram of actual alcohol is the accepted # (aside from the other stuff in alcoholic drinks).

3.) Here are some adjustments: don't get too ****faced because a.) you'll be too hung over to lift the next day, b.) the less alcohol, the less there is to eat up your muscle, and c.) the less you drink the faster it'll be out of your system. Plus if you drink too much your equipment won't work well if you're with a lady. Do what you can to make sure the other aspects of your training are in check (diet, sleep, and workouts, etc.)

Jefferson
02-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Another question I had about alcohol was the effects that it has on creatine. I take cell-tech from GNC and obviously the principal is that water is force-fed to your muscles more rapidly than without creatine. But what if the water is not there? Are the effects of the creatine being mitigated by alcohol consumption?

Drinking and taking creatine is probably the worst combination ever. I wouldn't drink too hard, or much at all, if you're in a creatine cycle.

I'm a heavy drinker, I drink 2-3 times a week, usually finish off a handle of whiskey each night I drink. I'm cutting it back down to one night a week for lifting purposes.

I did a bicep work out on a Friday and drank that night. I woke up Saturday morning feeling like my biceps had lead spikes in them. Every hard drinking session I had on creatine would beat the **** out of me. It also would beat the **** out of my kidneys if I did anything aeorbic while drunk. I remember one time I was wasted and was doing a lot of aerobic activity (don't ask), and could barely tolerate the pain I felt in my lower back.

I did however,l get bigger and stronger. Possibly because I'm young, and have a superb diet. I lost a lot of strength when I stopped taking creatine, but my hangovers don't feel like the plague anymore.

getfit
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Drinking and taking creatine is probably the worst combination ever. I wouldn't drink too hard, or much at all, if you're in a creatine cycle.

I'm a heavy drinker, I drink 2-3 times a week, usually finish off a handle of whiskey each night I drink. I'm cutting it back down to one night a week for lifting purposes.

I did a bicep work out on a Friday and drank that night. I woke up Saturday morning feeling like my biceps had lead spikes in them. Every hard drinking session I had on creatine would beat the **** out of me. It also would beat the **** out of my kidneys if I did anything aeorbic while drunk. I remember one time I was wasted and was doing a lot of aerobic activity (don't ask), and could barely tolerate the pain I felt in my lower back.

I did however,l get bigger and stronger. Possibly because I'm young, and have a superb diet. I lost a lot of strength when I stopped taking creatine, but my hangovers don't feel like the plague anymore.

superb diet and immense amounts of alchool don't seem to go together very well

Sidior
02-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Sounds like something was SERIOUSLY ****ed up with your training. I've been drinking 4+ nights a week for the past couple months and I've put 30lbs on my squat.

About the REM sleep... alcohol does suppress it. The good thing is that the more your body is deprived of it, the quicker you go into REM sleep and the REM sessions are INTENSE(hence alcoholics having nightmares all the time when they quit). Just don't let it get out of hand, and remember DRINK WATER!

regarding the REM sleep, it is true your body slips into it faster the longer you have gone without it, but as of yet it has not been proven if REM is really required to function properly....and ya I agree about getting stronger while drinking, it is very possible, but if you put 30lb on your squat drinking that much I'm sure you could have put 50lb+ without all the booze

rk77
02-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Basically what it comes down to for the most part is either your a homebody who stays in so that theyre testosterone dosnt drop an insignificant amout or for whatever reason, or you go out and have good time and enjoy being young (yes some of you might be able to go out without drinking and have a great time, im just generalizing). Most bodybuilders are inroverts and dont mind goin to the gym on a friday night or stayin in so they can eat their midnight chicken breast or whatever. If thats how they feel then good for them. But I can't imagine livng a life like that, seems depressing to me. If thats all you do is it really worth it? Not to me, but thats just my .02 cents.

Pjsb
02-10-2006, 10:55 AM
As a senior in college, I can say I am over getting hammered every weekend and drinking 3 nights a week, I'm just sick of it. While it never really hurt me in gains while maintaining or bulking, I can see how it would on a cut.

Bottom line: it is not the death of your gains, and unless you are a chronic alcoholic (which I am guessing nobody on this board is) or already have low test, it is NOT going to lower your test to the extent that people in this thread say it will. My roomate is 5'10", 215 (pretty big) and he drinks 5 nights a week and eats like complete ass, and his lifts are hardly affected cuz his genetics are ridiculous. Others may have a harder time.

But, I will say this.. if you are going to drink, especially to excess, DRINK A LOT OF WATER WHEN YOU ARE DONE. After I go out, I drink some gatorade and 40-50 oz of water. Dehydration is the worst result of drinking that could put a dent in your gym time.

Meat_Head
02-11-2006, 12:09 PM
But, I will say this.. if you are going to drink, especially to excess, DRINK A LOT OF WATER WHEN YOU ARE DONE. After I go out, I drink some gatorade and 40-50 oz of water. Dehydration is the worst result of drinking that could put a dent in your gym time.

Bingo, I think the top 2 important things people who drink ignore are their tolerance and dehydration... funny when they wonder why they always make fools of themselves, hug the toilet puking for hours, and feel like complete **** the next day when they drink.

Unreal
02-11-2006, 02:59 PM
http://members.cox.net/nvisokey/pictures/Lovepotion.JPG

Alcohol is bad. I'm going to feel last night for AWHILE.

Slim Schaedle
02-11-2006, 07:33 PM
I have an idea...for all of you who immediately put down what The Gimp posted, how about you post your physique on here right now, and we can compare them to those who don't drink. With obvious variables such as genetics, etc. etc. aside, I think it might be quite interesting.

Or, we can justin listen to people like The Gimp who actually have a clue of what goes on in the body on a cellular level and has a more increased knowledge regarding nutrition than what you find browsing through a bodybuilding forum.

drew
02-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm sure it won't help you get bigger, but when it comes to strength, I drink Guinness after lifting sometimes. It makes me feel good and I don;t ware what anyone thinks. I've been getting very strong.

bschatz88
02-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Eat drink and be merry

drew
02-12-2006, 08:23 PM
I thin kthat should be: eat, drink and lift heavy.

Bikkstah
02-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Follow my lead and quit drinking for like 5 months. I went to a party Sat. Night and got ****ing hammered off 3 beers. An almost 15% drop in BF + a highly reduced tolerance = cheap (money and calorie wise) drunk!

I used to be able to take down a fifth (at least) or a 24 pack of beer.

tigo
02-13-2006, 12:33 AM
man drinking screws you up.. i have to shift my workout sched this week a day back because i was too hung over today

MJS
02-13-2006, 07:47 AM
I used to be able to take down a fifth (at least) or a 24 pack of beer.

What a man

MJS
02-13-2006, 07:48 AM
I have an idea...for all of you who immediately put down what The Gimp posted, how about you post your physique on here right now, and we can compare them to those who don't drink. With obvious variables such as genetics, etc. etc. aside, I think it might be quite interesting.

How do you take genetics "out of the picture"?

Guido
02-13-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm no expert, but beer is brewed ridiculously fast in gigantic vats. The quality is much lower simply because they need to make alot to sell. Its much less pure, it has alot of excess crap that does nothing good for you. Liquor, on the other hand, is brewed in much smaller amounts and distilled for a much longer period of time. This improves the quality and purity.This is true if you drink the cheap, macrobrew crap like Budweiser or Coors. REAL beer should only consist of water, barley, malt, and hops. As is the case with most things, you get what you pay for.

"Life is too short to drink crappy beer."

I have 2 or 3 beers a week on average (never enough to get drunk) and don't notice any ill effects on my lifting.

RickTheDestroyer
02-13-2006, 09:49 AM
This is true if you drink the cheap, macrobrew crap like Budweiser or Coors. REAL beer should only consist of water, barley, malt, and hops. As is the case with most things, you get what you pay for.

"Life is too short to drink crappy beer."

I have 2 or 3 beers a week on average (never enough to get drunk) and don't notice any ill effects on my lifting.
:withstupi

And I'm bulking, so I'm not too concerned about the added calories.
Anyway, I figure that most of the time when people talk about the negative effects of alcohol on lifting, they aren't talking about having a beer with dinner a few nights a week.

Meat_Head
02-13-2006, 10:28 AM
eat, drink and lift heavy.

Oh man... definately sig worthy :thumbup:

bschatz88
02-13-2006, 10:37 AM
I thin kthat should be: eat, drink and lift heavy.

Good call.

kpd
02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Here is an interesting article related to sleep
http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2003/3/22/article_01.htm
Here is an interesting article on alcohol and its effects on sleep
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa41.htm

Live your life how ever you chose, but do know that your gains will be severely hindered.... For those who think otherwise, how can you come to that conclusion? Drinking diminishes sleep quality, thus affecting your production of necessary hormones for growth.... With drinking 3-4 nights a week, your sleep cycle on non-drinking days is also affected, this affecting your hormone production even when you arent drinking..Also, the lack of quality sleep will also have a negative impact on so many other variables which are important to gains...... Too much alcohol definitely messes with your appetite, which will in turn mess with your diet.... and sure, one day of a missed diet isn't bad, but again, remember we are talking 3-4 days a week..... Also, if I am not mistaken, sleep deprivation can increase the body's production of cortisol? Definitely not a good thing there either..... Once again, do as you will, but just know the facts, and make an informed decision..... if anything I've produced is incorrect, please let me know....

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
For those who think otherwise, how can you come to that conclusion?My guess is that they assume the gains they are getting in conjunction with alcohol are adequate, possibly without ever knowing the degree of enhanced progress without it. I was the same way at one time. Now it is difficult to bring myself to get drunk routinely, knowing how successful I am without it. (not to mention knowing the actual biochemical aspect of it).

HardToSquat
02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I was a prime example of what happens when you drink a considerable amount of alcohol at least half the week or more and lift. I am a beleiver now of just how detremental alcohol was to my lifting, and I regret the abuse I did to my body in my prime years of lifting in my twenties and early thirties. I am now lucky to have maybe one beer in a month or two, but the crazy days of drinking for me are permanately over now with children and my health at stake. Never again will I become the borderline alcoholic/severe binge drinker I was over a year ago, never again.

gator
02-13-2006, 08:48 PM
I would like some advice. I drink rarely once every couple of weeks, but never get hammered. It shouldn't affect me too much right? I mean I'm just a college kid who like to play beer pong once and a while. However spring break could be an issue lol I'm not a huge drinker at all but I have a feeling I'll be drinking a decent amount for about 4-5 days if I decide to head down to key west.

Meat_Head
02-13-2006, 11:31 PM
You can drink without becoming an alcoholic hardtosquat...

HardToSquat
02-14-2006, 05:56 AM
True Meathead, I guess if you have no more than two drinks a day that would be OK, at least many studies have shown that this amount constitutes a non-problem drinker. My problem is\was that I would have 10-15 servings(1.5L) of wine at least four nights a week for a number of years. Definitely not resposible on my part, and I beleive this hurt my body and my workouts tremendously.

I was also a teen and a college twenty-some year old and I enjoyed drinking very much during those years. I didn't mean to sound like an anti-alcohol preacher of some sort here. I still might have an occasional beer or two at a get together, but for myself (and my friends unfortunately), drinking was always taken too far too many nights.

MJS
02-16-2006, 02:07 AM
What about while on creatine [proceeds with caution] having three beers over three ours with two glasses of water in between them? Yes, three London Ale Pint's over three hours gets you buzzed.