PDA

View Full Version : Protein Supplements a waste?

skaterdude
02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
hahah, this is in my 2006 Health text book!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/johnharris1983/text.jpg
I paid $79 for this, used!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/johnharris1983/text1.jpg
and a pic of me!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/johnharris1983/badass.jpg

deeder
02-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Woohoo vitamins! Also, I'd venture to say there aren't many people that ONLY take protein supplements... Most eat solid food too.

There seems to be studies which support an increased protein requirement in athletes vs. sedentary people.

Aviators suck.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-08-2006, 09:42 PM
There's also many studies conducted that a considerably higher intake of protein benefits bodybuilders, but whatever. Basically just repeating what deeder said.

deeder
02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
I just checked back in on this thread and I was just wondering... How can this be a 2006 Health Textbook if you bought it used? Didn't 2006 only start a month ago and aren't semesters longer than a month? :p

There's flaws EVERYWHERE man!

gator
02-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I just checked back in on this thread and I was just wondering... How can this be a 2006 Health Textbook if you bought it used? Didn't 2006 only start a month ago and aren't semesters longer than a month? :p

There's flaws EVERYWHERE man!

props on that, very nice catch.

d'Anconia
02-08-2006, 11:51 PM
LOL "deficiencies in Vitamin B and Iron". Yeah that's why we take Multi-Vitamins and since when did most people eat more protein than they need? *Sigh* talk about an opinionated textbook.

Built
02-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Yanno, reading this crap ... and having spoken to people fresh out of school who haven't actually learned anything ... well, it explains a LOT!

smalls
02-09-2006, 01:39 AM
The education an average person receives in college is pretty sad, especially in any nutrition or fitness field.

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."
-- Malcolm Forbes

Too bad most institutions and educators cant pass the idea behind this quote to their students.

tigo
02-09-2006, 03:06 AM
hmm the protein level might be about right an athlete and a normal person of the same BW and height would need the same levels..

most people, particularly asians (meals composed of mostly carbs) have a deficiency though.. think about the average amount of food a person takes in...

breakfast: nothing, maybe coffee.. or cereal
brunch: a bagel, cream cheese. maybe a donut.
lunch: sandwich.. loaded with crappy processed meats
snack: more pastries.
dinner: some kind of meat with carbs.
prebed: nothing

its the amount of carbs and low level of fat that gets people, i think so at least.

ihope this makes sense.. usualyl i just kind of diarrhea whatevers in my head onto my keyboard.

ShockBoxer
02-09-2006, 07:06 AM
I know on days that I go out and 'eat normal' with my friends I can easily hit 250 or 300 grams of carbs and not crack a hundred of protein. I'd say you're right about the average diet being carb heavy.

ddegroff
02-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I know most people around here don't replace supplements for food. They use them to get extra cals to meet their needs. If you use them as a "supplement" to an already good diet then you should be fine.

edit: Most of my teachers tell me about supplements are not regulated by the FDA. so what they claim they do doesnt have to be true. This the main reason I stick to whey, multivitamins and fish oils.

offhegoes03
02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
yeah, I think as long as the protein shakes aren't your main source of protein, it's not going to go to waste. Also, I feel that the timing of the shakes is important as well. I usually have one right after my workout, one after dinner, and one after I eat a sandwhich right before bed.

smalls
02-09-2006, 01:58 PM
There is a huge difference between "going to waste" and be utilized for muscle repair and building. Think before you post.

d'Anconia
02-09-2006, 03:07 PM
You know I keep hearing about this 'normal people' vs 'athletes' and I'm pretty sure it makes sense that a BODYBUILDER who is trying to increase the size of their MUSCLES (which are made up of a lot of protein, among other things) would need more protein than Joe Schmoe.

Vapour Trails
02-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm sure the book was written by people who have fairly limited knowledge of exercise nutrition etc.

ddegroff
02-09-2006, 03:32 PM
You know I keep hearing about this 'normal people' vs 'athletes' and I'm pretty sure it makes sense that a BODYBUILDER who is trying to increase the size of their MUSCLES (which are made up of a lot of protein, among other things) would need more protein than Joe Schmoe.

Yes, I agree that we do need more protein than Joe Schmoe.
The great thing about my nutrition class is I got a note packet that has some of the latest journal articles. They found that strength type athletes need to be as high as 1.6-1.7 g/kg of bw. Since I didn't find it on the internet I can't post the link for ya.
Heres the name:
Nutrition and Athletic Perfomance
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise

whiteman90909
02-09-2006, 04:19 PM
the only problem really have is getting enough protein in my diet, id be glad to get more than i need. also,for vitamins and iron and such, most cereals have vitamins sprayed on them, and if you get a whole wheat cereal with milk, thats carbs, depending on the milk, fat, and protein.

d'Anconia
02-09-2006, 04:52 PM
All else equal, better to have too much protein than not enough...

skaterdude
02-09-2006, 11:29 PM
All else equal, better to have too much protein than not enough...

thats true!