PDA

View Full Version : Help Please guys!

NowImSerious
02-08-2006, 07:27 PM
heya guys im new and id like to say hi to everyone!i need some help if poss please. Basically im just 18 and i was big into my weights until 7 months ago when i suffered a massive road traffic accident and suffered injurys to the extent of: Broken back(Lumber 5 compression burst), Snapped leg (fibbia and tibbia), Crushed foot(many bones broken), Smashed ankle(ankle into many pieces) and a cracked skull.

Basically, in my month in hosptial i couldnt move from my back due to my back and i have litterally wasted away! BUT i have put on fat. So my question is, how can i loose the podge i have put on my stomach, some around my face and small amount on my chest without running(because of my ankle, leg.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to loose fat quickly without running? I have maybe 6lb's of fat to loose total.

Sorry about long post, and any help would be very much appreciated!:)

JamesBOMB
02-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Id suggest a pool, little to no impact on joints

NowImSerious
02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Id suggest a pool, little to no impact on joints

hmm, yeah true. But would i really be able to loose the fat fast with that? I dont have a problem with impact on joints really. Im past that just running is hard and painful. I could do many other excersises other than running tho, cross trainer, bike etc.

d'Anconia
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
NowImSerious once our search function is working, do a good search around the forum and you will see some good explanations of how to lose fat without doing a damned thing (in fact, technically, you'll be doing less of anything).

I'll lightly touch on it:
It is generally accepted that a pound of fat consistst of roughly 3500 calories. Since you have a computer, go to fitday.com and start up a free account (takes like 2 minutes, if that). Keep track of what you eat and how many calories are in those foods. You have a certain level of calories at which you will not gain or lose weight, this is called "maintenance level calories". Now, every CUMULATIVE 3500 calories less than maintenance that you eat, you will lose roughly 1 pound of fat.
So basically all you have to do is eat less. One problem you might have though is that in your situation you aren't very active so you don't burn as many calories during the day so your maintenance level, for now, will be a bit low. Many people use this approach to lose weight without having to do any intense cardio of any sort. The one thing that may be tricky for you will be to calculate your maintenance level; there are some 'calculators' that calculate roughly what your maintenance level might be (if you search for them on the internet you'll find them or maybe someone else will be kind enough to post a link on here).

Anyway, here's an example:
Let's say your maintenance level is 2500 calories. Meaning if you were to eat 2500 calories every day, you would not lose or gain any weight. If you were to eat 300 calories less every day, meaning you are eating, on average, 2200 calories per day, then roughly every 12 days or so you would lose a pound of fat. Every month you would lose almost 3 pounds, etc.

Ok now another side of this process is that the more calories that you eat less than your maintenance (so basically the less and less calories you eat during a day), the more muscle that will be burned with that fat. Now in your case this might not be as big of a problem since I wouldn't be surprised if some of your muscle has atrophied from lying in the hospital for a month (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope that helped and I hope you get better soon.

cphafner
02-08-2006, 07:45 PM
cardio isn't necessary to lose weight. Go check out the nutrition section about cutting diets.

NowImSerious
02-08-2006, 07:57 PM
NowImSerious once our search function is working, do a good search around the forum and you will see some good explanations of how to lose fat without doing a damned thing (in fact, technically, you'll be doing less of anything).

I'll lightly touch on it:
It is generally accepted that a pound of fat consistst of roughly 3500 calories. Since you have a computer, go to fitday.com and start up a free account (takes like 2 minutes, if that). Keep track of what you eat and how many calories are in those foods. You have a certain level of calories at which you will not gain or lose weight, this is called "maintenance level calories". Now, every CUMULATIVE 3500 calories less than maintenance that you eat, you will lose roughly 1 pound of fat.
So basically all you have to do is eat less. One problem you might have though is that in your situation you aren't very active so you don't burn as many calories during the day so your maintenance level, for now, will be a bit low. Many people use this approach to lose weight without having to do any intense cardio of any sort. The one thing that may be tricky for you will be to calculate your maintenance level; there are some 'calculators' that calculate roughly what your maintenance level might be (if you search for them on the internet you'll find them or maybe someone else will be kind enough to post a link on here).

Anyway, here's an example:
Let's say your maintenance level is 2500 calories. Meaning if you were to eat 2500 calories every day, you would not lose or gain any weight. If you were to eat 300 calories less every day, meaning you are eating, on average, 2200 calories per day, then roughly every 12 days or so you would lose a pound of fat. Every month you would lose almost 3 pounds, etc.

Ok now another side of this process is that the more calories that you eat less than your maintenance (so basically the less and less calories you eat during a day), the more muscle that will be burned with that fat. Now in your case this might not be as big of a problem since I wouldn't be surprised if some of your muscle has atrophied from lying in the hospital for a month (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope that helped and I hope you get better soon.

so very very much appreciated mate, thank you. LOL, i was fairly big about 8 months ago...now im erm, well not. haha. That has given me alot of information to think about, and im off to sign up to fitday. So, just say i was to do some good cardio everyday, and ate a healty diet, how long do you think if done correctly it should take to loose. I know i could go and work it out, but im sure u guys know in the real world what is possible. Thanks again for all your help! Oh and even though cairdio may not be necissary, im unfit and need to do some. thanks!

JamesBOMB
02-08-2006, 08:19 PM
I could do 10lbs in a month. ALl depends on your diet and you.