PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Sunflower Seeds Low in Sodium?

d'Anconia
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Ya know I love David's Sunflower seeds since they keep my mouth busy (sometimes I get kinda fidgety) and are high in protein and fat but low in carbs. One thing I always thought was that they were really high in sodium and just now I'm looking at the nutrition facts for the different flavors of sunflower seeds and none of them really seem to have that much sodium in them. I was worried about the sodium thing because I'm under the impression that high sodium diets can increase risk of hypertension (wouldn't be a factor until down the road though).

Do you guys know if they use something else as a substitute or anything? Because I always assumed sunflower seeds were very high in salt and thus high in sodium. Here's a link to the nutrition facts (ranch is my favorite):
http://www.davidseeds.com/pages/products.html

What's more is that if you eat them as I do (not whole but cracking and taking out the seed inside) then you aren't really going to be able to go through more than 5.25oz bag of them. Doing the calculations, that really isn't that much sodium at all... 225mg of sodium in bag of Ranch seeds = 10% of Daily Value, and for regular ~342mg of sodium = ~15% of Daily Value.

Am I missing something here?

Built
02-08-2006, 11:57 PM
They're not salted. Salted ones are high in sodium.

No problem with sodium though, unless you have some sort of health problem ...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-09-2006, 12:18 AM
They're not salted. Salted ones are high in sodium.It's always the simple things...

d'Anconia
02-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Okay my bad, I just assumed they were all salted I guess. Looks like it's time for a costco pack.

Nikodastinko
02-10-2011, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]

YES!! You're missing the LIE. They're f-n lyin. If you look at the Frito Lay packs (which taste better anyways)... you'll see on small pack has 90%+ the reccommended value for one day. They're a bunch of bitch ass lyers.

RichMcGuire
02-10-2011, 07:59 PM
YES!! You're missing the LIE. They're f-n lyin. If you look at the Frito Lay packs (which taste better anyways)... you'll see on small pack has 90%+ the reccommended value for one day. They're a bunch of bitch ass lyers.

Your first post is to drag up a thread from 2006 to say a bunch of non sense? :confused:

donnyboot
06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
I've been eating David seeds steady for about a year. I love that they are supposedly lower in sodium so I get all the flavors and wear them out! Today I was studying a bag a little closer. Those assholes somehow list only the nutrition facts for the kernel?!?! What the F?! Who the hell eats just the kernel without putting the whole seed in their mouth?? Something has to be done so little league-ers don't get hooked on them because their parents are fooled into thinking they are healthy. The other seed companies are just more honest and not trying to make a buck pretending to be a healthy snack. This really pisses me off and I'm going to rally to get something done.

Ya know I love David's Sunflower seeds since they keep my mouth busy (sometimes I get kinda fidgety) and are high in protein and fat but low in carbs. One thing I always thought was that they were really high in sodium and just now I'm looking at the nutrition facts for the different flavors of sunflower seeds and none of them really seem to have that much sodium in them. I was worried about the sodium thing because I'm under the impression that high sodium diets can increase risk of hypertension (wouldn't be a factor until down the road though).

Do you guys know if they use something else as a substitute or anything? Because I always assumed sunflower seeds were very high in salt and thus high in sodium. Here's a link to the nutrition facts (ranch is my favorite):
http://www.davidseeds.com/pages/products.html

What's more is that if you eat them as I do (not whole but cracking and taking out the seed inside) then you aren't really going to be able to go through more than 5.25oz bag of them. Doing the calculations, that really isn't that much sodium at all... 225mg of sodium in bag of Ranch seeds = 10% of Daily Value, and for regular ~342mg of sodium = ~15% of Daily Value.

Am I missing something here?

baldwinkane
02-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I am addicted to David seeds... when I am in work I eat a bag every night..
Sunflower seeds and oil contain both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat.. But it is low in carbs..