View Full Version : tuna fish: good or bad?
02-09-2006, 05:30 PM
tuna is a great tasting lean fish full of protein and creatine, and i love it straight up out of the can, but here is my question:
is it bad to eat tuna daily or every other day or so because of its high mercury level? if you know anything about it id appriciate it.
02-09-2006, 05:42 PM
dont worry about the mercury just get the chunk light in water
02-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Here is something I found on the topic when I was looking (I eat a LOT of tuna).
The major concern seemed to be with pregnant women and children.
**This is based on teh Albacore tuna**
Step 1 - DETERMINE EPA's RECOMMENDED LEVEL FOR A 45 LB CHILD
* Multiply child's body weight by EPA's reference dose.
* Convert 45 pounds to kilograms = 20.45 kilograms
* 20.45 kilograms x .1 micrograms per kilogram per day
EPA RECOMMENDED LEVEL = 2.05 micrograms per day = 14.35 micrograms per week.
Step 2 - HOW MUCH MERCURY IS IN 6 OUNCES OF CHUNK WHITE TUNA?
* Multiply amount of fish by average mercury level for chunk white albacore.
* Convert 6 ounces to grams = 170 grams 170 grams X .31 ppm (or micrograms per gram)**
MERCURY INGESTED = 52.7 micrograms per gram
Step 3 – COMPARE MERCURY INGESTED WITH EPA'S RECOMMENDED LEVEL
* Divide 52.7 micrograms by 14.35 micrograms = 3.7
I really haven't been worried about it, no side effects yet !!!!!! :)
If you want to read the whole article, go here:
02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
aite man, thanks alot
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.