PDA

View Full Version : How realistic are FitDay.com weight ranges?

baja_stx
02-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm just over 6 ft. tall and weigh just over 210 lbs.

According to FitDay I should be between 145-180 lbs. to be a "healthy" weight.

Honestly I think I would be underweight at 180 and look like a skeleton w/ skin at 145. I'm comfortable right around 190ish.

d'Anconia
02-09-2006, 04:56 PM
LOL they have this little 'overweight' scale that really doesn't mean much to us. Most people on here are 'overweight' but it isn't like we're healthy. I guess it might be based on the premise that heavier people put more stress on their bodies but they're forgetting that for weightlifters like us, our body becomes stronger (especially the bones) and we don't have a problem lugging the extra weight around.

I think it's safe to say that most of us are actually aiming for the 'overweight' zone. We've discussed this sort of stuff before and we always come to the conclusion that the 'overweight' classification is next to useless (and I only use 'next to' as a catch-all in case I missed something).

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-09-2006, 06:15 PM
The BMI they use doesn't mean anything by itself. You have to combine that with body measurements, body composition, etc.. If you're lean and packing on muscle which makes you over your "recommended" weight...you'll be considered obese at like...8 percent body fat. The BMI doesn't mean much to muscular folk.

malkore
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, fitday would be so much more useful if you could input your body fat percentage. the calculations still wouldn't be perfect, but at least close enough to use their numbers as a starting point.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I think the mirror is a better means of tracking progress.

JustLost
02-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Others have kinda beat me to it, but it's worth repeating -- Fitday's weight ranges are based on BMI< which means they're insane for anyone who's at all muscular.

According to thier chart, my lean mass alone is "moderately overweight".

My goal is to have obese muscle! ;)