PDA

View Full Version : Rugby!

Meat_Head
02-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm going to be joining the Rugby team at UT next semester, so I need to start getting myself conditioned. I figured there's gotta be at least a couple guys on WBB who play or have played it, so share your knowledge... what advice would you give as far as being prepared? Any specific additions to training that you find or have found beneficial?

Bohizzle
02-11-2006, 03:38 PM
one of my buddies is on the rugby team at my school (he doesn't play cuz of injuries but i've read his workout book thingy). Basically a lot of suicides (so basically hiit), power cleans, full squats, bench press, deadlifts, and stability stuff (tossing around a medicine ball while on a exercise ball). He said the stuff they did the most was running. That's about all i know.

Andrew

eatit
02-11-2006, 04:02 PM
at close to 200 pounds unless you're really fast you're probably going to be a forward. So that means hitting a lot of people, pushing a lot of people and in fact depending on how your coach structures the team more running than the backs. (forwards do all the work and get none of the credit.... (can you tell what position i played?))

anyway, so you're going to have to be in tip top cardio shape. Sprints are an excellent way of doing this. A great drill that i found really helped was sprinting 100 yards/meters then dropping to the ground (to simulate a tackle) then getting back up and doing a fast jog back. Give yourself a goal time each way. say 20 seconds down and 30 seconds back for a total of 50 seconds. If you make it back in 40 seconds you get 10 seconds of rest... yadda yadda.

if you're a super athlete exteme: do this on an incline (sprinting uphill obviously)

I don't know what type of cardio shape you're in currently so i can't suggest numbers to start off with but if you give it a couple goes you'll know what times will push you what won't.

you love your squats which is perfect training for scrums. Leg strength is extremely important so make sure your work out is not lacking in that area.

jog as well due to the intense cardio nature of the game. But don't over do it, maybe once a week or so. because jogging sucks and sprints of the type mentioned above are just as good.

and probably more important than anything: find yourself someone to train with that you can just do basic ball work with. If you're new to the game the passing backward constantly takes a bit to get used to. It's also a great to jog with someone while passing the ball back and forth.

Meat_Head
02-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Cool thanks for the advice guys. I'll definately have to add some serious cardio in, sprints on different machines and actual sprints running. Do ya'll think dragging and pushing a weight/vehicle would be beneficial, or would I be better off sticking to squats and sprints?

Bohizzle
02-13-2006, 01:43 PM
It certainly won't be detrimental

Meat_Head
02-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing... time for some strongman training!

BigRic
02-13-2006, 04:48 PM
UT = University of Texas?

Meat_Head
02-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Yup

Chubrock
02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Crossfit....

russ
02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I've played rugby for 3 years. Play for school - which won the city champs two years in a row, and for a summer club. Now I can't really relate to the forwards, because I'm smaller and faster than most people so I'm on the wing running a **** load. But I noticed last year, after doing a lot of squats and cleans, running through people and tackling people was much easier and done with much more power.

I imagine crossfit would be really beneficial, I think I might start training with that. But I'm waiting for my stupid freaking ankle to heal so I can start doing proper workouts.

A strong core and good flexibility and balance all will benefit you a lot too.

force = mass x acceleration ---> a good formula to remember

Meat_Head
02-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Cool russ thanks for the advice! I'll definately be working squats and olympic lifts heavy.

Is crossfit really worth doing for something like this? I mean it couldn't hurt, but it seems kinda random to me.

Chubrock
02-14-2006, 08:18 AM
I dunno about the exact needs of a rugby player, but I compete in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and have seen definite improvements in my grappling game since starting a partial crossfit split. As my sport can involve, at times, controlling somebody, even after my muscular endurance as been exhausted, I've found that I can go quite a bit harder/longer after making this addition to my split. I def. recommend giving it a try. You'll see a lot of Oly athletes, soldiers, football players, and fighters implementing Crossfit into their day. It may seem random, but I've found that this randomness has almost a system to it if this makes any sense whatsoever.

Talk to Anthony on this board. He's been implementing much more CF than I have and has seen some great benefits from it. Also Mix, if I'm not mistaken, does a bit of CF, or is at least very familiar with it.

Clifford Gillmore
02-15-2006, 07:01 AM
I played as prop, having a decent deadlift prepares you for the scrum. I've nearly had my ears torn off a few times, but its all cool.

Crossfit is perfect if you are allready a big guy looking to get faster. Depending on your strengths I would look at doing some kind of 10x3 hybrid with cross fit as the staple.

djreef
02-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Protect your joints - #1. Half the guys on my team went down to knee and ankle injuries (me included), at one time or another, 3 seasons ago. A few hung it up after their surgeries.

DJ

eatit
02-20-2006, 10:55 AM
^^^^^^ what djreef said. If you're going to play forward don't skimp on the boots. Get ones that are good and high and have decent ankle support, don't think you'll get away with soccer cleats on this one, it'll catch up with you.

As for dragging/pushing weights. Push a sled, it's good practice for the scrums and hitting rucks. Pulling doesn't translate as well to this sport. Also pushing a sled gives you a chance to practice form (really low to the ground, straight back) whereas pulling doesn't.

I wouldn't recommend sprinting on machines: it's always been my personal, unfounded theory that machines will not train you anywhere near as well as actual running will as the pressure you need to apply to propel yourself isn't the same (machine: ground moves for you. Running: you move over the ground).

Meat_Head
02-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Boots? What kind of shoes should I buy specifically? How do I protect my knees? I was thinking ankle/knee wraps if you think it'd be necissary...

djreef
02-20-2006, 02:19 PM
I'd say at the very least go with neoprene sleeves with the velcro wraps. I used some with metal hinges actually sewn into the neo, but I already had a crappy knee to begin with, so I needed the xtra protexion. In fact I still use the one for softball.

DJ

russ
02-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Yea, I've had an ankle injury since June from a rugby tournament, and it SUCKS. Haven't been doing much leg work lately, and haven't been going to rugby practices cause it's still not healed.

Protect those things man. You can get rugby cleats from lots of places, Check out this site http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/departments-footwear-soft-ground-rugby-boots.html

eatit
02-20-2006, 05:54 PM
yeah, i couldn't begin to recommend which cleats you should get. The only real way to tell is try them on and figure out the comprimise of mobility vs. support that works for you. I never wore wraps but spent the last half of a season taping my ankle after i rolling it pretty bad in a game. I personally prefer taping as it's a nice pre-practice/game ritual and the tape was free in the trainers office... But you may just want to pick something up.

as far as advice on boots: i had CCC's that lasted me four years (granted the last year they were more tape than anything else). so i can attest to their durability. But they were the only boots i ever wore so i can't compare.

seK
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I dated a hooker for the NS provincial women’s team once lol. I played Fullback for a couple of years untill hockey and school took over all of my spare time.
As for cleats I had a couple of pairs and switched depending on what position I was at.

djreef
02-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Yea, I've dated a few hookers myself.

DJ

eatit
02-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Yea, I've dated a few hookers myself.

DJ

oh man, the hooker jokes never get old :rolleyes:

timlionyeayea
03-10-2006, 09:42 AM
i play UT rugby........

Meat_Head
03-10-2006, 09:52 AM
How is it? I'm ready to crack some skulls :D

timlionyeayea
03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
its awesome man. great group of guys. how old are you?.. u in highschool or college as of now?

Meat_Head
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
I'll be 20 in May. Second year of college, although I switched majors so I'm technically still a freshman now.

colin
04-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Boots? What kind of shoes should I buy specifically? How do I protect my knees? I was thinking ankle/knee wraps if you think it'd be necissary...

I have owned several brands of boots and my Canterburys (CCCs) are the best I've used yet. I play in the pack so I opted for the high tops. The boots are soft enough that they don't need breaking in but but hard enough to provide good support. Another friend of mine who props swears by his Mitres, so I guess it's all a matter of taste. The pros seem (for the most part) to wear Mitre, CCC and Kooga boots. If you end up playing in the backs you can often get away with soccer boots, which are easier to find and cheaper.

As for protecting your knees, I'm not sure what is at issue. I have sprained my knees a few times and have used a neoprene sleeve during recovery. If your knees are in good shape you won't need them. As for your ankles, I agree with what has been said. Taping provides the maximum support. Ideally you don't need to protect your ankles unless you are recovering from a sprain or you play a position like tight five where digging in and holding fast are critical.

colin
04-01-2006, 11:23 AM
I'd say at the very least go with neoprene sleeves with the velcro wraps. I used some with metal hinges actually sewn into the neo, but I already had a crappy knee to begin with, so I needed the xtra protexion. In fact I still use the one for softball.

DJ

Wearing anything with velcro is illegal in rugby.

robert_wilson
04-09-2006, 05:52 AM
There are pretty much 3 things you can focus on training

1. Being stronger/more powerful

This will let you dominate in contact situations

2. Being faster

This will let you run by people and score a crapload of tries

3. Anaerobic fitness

This will make it so that you can laugh at the guys that are puking in the endzone between suicides. Side Benefit: Alot of big plays are made at the end of the first and second half when people get tired and make defensive lapses, this will keep you ready to bust out the huge play.

In order of importance to getting playing time I would rank them

speed--->strength/power---->anaerobic fitness

In order of importance to not feel like crap during practices

Strength/power----->anaerobic fitness------>speed

Good Luck at tryouts!

robert_wilson
04-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Wearing anything with velcro is illegal in rugby.

Last Time I checked my scrum crap used a velcro strap...

colin
04-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Last Time I checked my scrum crap used a velcro strap...

Tackling around the head is also illegal - so that's probably why it's overlooked. I have a velcro strap in my scrum cap too. If you go to the IRB site you'll see what's legal and what isn't. Sticky gloves, elbow and knee braces all cannot have velcro straps. The law is different for rugby league I think, so that's why refs often check for the IRB tag in all your pads.

robert_wilson
04-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Its funny what rules are and aren't allowed, last summer they were going to let me play with a cast on my left arm in a men's league 2nd's game.

All they asked was that I wrap it in padding.

I guess it depends on the referee and whatnot.

ehscrewdude
07-27-2006, 10:54 AM
`Im starting rugby this fall when I go to college out at UCF... any other tips?

timlovesrugby
04-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Its funny what rules are and aren't allowed, last summer they were going to let me play with a cast on my left arm in a men's league 2nd's game.

All they asked was that I wrap it in padding.

I guess it depends on the referee and whatnot.

HAHAHA. thats brilliant. You didn't actually play did you?

timlovesrugby
04-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Also, if you are considering playing in the pack there are other differences to think about. Tight five players need to focus more on strength and stability (to hold up those scrums etc). Whereas the loose forwards need a good mix (probably the most rounded players imo. ^ ^) :- They need to have good stamina as they are required at all breakdowns and for supporting the backs; good speed and power as they are expected to run with the ball lots; and near the strength and power of the front and 2nd rows (they are still forwards.. )

You should specify your workout to your position but bear in mind all players need to be well rounded