PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding or Figure??

Hot Chick
02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Hey,

This is an old picture (October of last year), I had my bf tested that same day at 11.1%. I plan to compete this year in June, my question is should I compete in Bodybuilding or Figure? I'd like to do bodybuilding but I'm wondering if I have the right build - I'm 5'8" and 143lbs, would probably end up competing in the heavyweight (125lbs +). I'm sorry there's only the one picture to base any comments on, I will try to get new ones posted here soon. I think I may have a little more definition since this pic was taken but it's not like I've gotten huge over the past 4 months.

Thanks guys!

Built
02-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi there!

My thoughts are "figure" - bb typically requires more mass. You've got long legs and a very pretty body shape for figure. :)

Forgive me - you're in good shape, and clearly lean, but I'm not sure about the 11% - I'm at 14% in my avatar, confirmed by both calipers and DEXA (http://www.new-fitness.com/body_fat_analyzing.html). At 11%, you would be shredded, and would likely not have had your cycle in months. How were you tested?

Sidior
02-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I would say figure....looking great though

dw06wu
02-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi there!

My thoughts are "figure" - bb typically requires more mass. You've got long legs and a very pretty body shape for figure. :)

Forgive me - you're in good shape, and clearly lean, but I'm not sure about the 11% - I'm at 14% in my avatar, confirmed by both calipers and DEXA (http://www.new-fitness.com/body_fat_analyzing.html). At 11%, you would be shredded, and would likely not have had your cycle in months. How were you tested?
I'd guess it was calipers and she didn't adjust for women having higher %

Wikked1
02-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Definitely figure (because you have a good one) and
BUILT I HATE YOUR ABS!
I think sometimes it comes down to where your DNA says you will store body fat and you dear lady are gifted I mean look at those abs! At 14%? GOOD GOD !

muscleup
02-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Figure.
Not big enough for the bodybuilding class.

Gabrielle
02-17-2006, 01:23 PM
what everyone else said. Nice corvette :)

StoryOfTheYear
02-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Figure definately. -StOrY-

Bob
02-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Great work Chick...
I think Figure would work well for you.. but then again, it's really up to you... if you want to be more of a BB, you just gotta mass up...

Built.. there is no way you are 14%.. since you say DEXA, that's about 3% above the real measurement of Hydrodensitometry.. to show those abs, you gotta be 11%...

Sidior
02-28-2006, 06:38 PM
builts' abs are fantastic but you do realize that in general, women look the same as men with 5% less bf, so like 14% on built would look similar to 9% on a guy with a similar build...bottom line Im sure those amazing abs are possible at 14%

Built
02-28-2006, 06:50 PM
bearwolf - my DEXA showed 11% in my arms, 23% in my legs, and 7% in my trunk.

I'm sitting at around 20% or so right now, (DEXA again tomorrow) and my abs are visible, but they can't grate cheese at the moment.

At 11% bodyfat, I wouldn't have had a cycle in months. How do you figure hydrodensitometry is "real", and lower than DEXA? Most authorities consider DEXA the "gold standard" of bodyfat testing.

Bob
02-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Built.. I agree with you on the individual bodypart analysis, it is better for that.. however, just look at the link you sent above... Water testing has been the Gold Standard.. the only reason that DEXA now is, is because of the individual bodypart analysis...

But think about it.. in real "physics"... what is bodyfat analysis over the whole body? it really is about what is solid and what is fat! What sinks and what floats! What is good and what is bad! DEXA is still a "picture" of what your body is and approximations. Whether or not you "sink" is real physics and will show you how solid you are and made of the "good" stuff.

One consideration... the Hydrodensitometry test has to be done correctly.. if you don't empty your lungs of air, results will vary. hence you need to take it a couple of times..

And for.. I don't need individual bodypart analysis.. if your legs are showing the muscle like your abs... then your legs are "fatter". And since you can't really spot reduce the fat, it genetics where it is deposited or eliminated from... does it really matter.

You say tomato.. I say tomoto...

Bob
02-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Sorry.. don't know much about the cycles... but I thought women lost them more around 8-10%.. and that it depended a great deal on their diet. (And genetics of coarse). Starvation and improper diet at those % will kill it.. but a good diet, plenty of calories will be OK.

Of coarse from what my better half tells me... she would rather not have it anyway... LOL.

Built
02-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Osteoporosis becomes a risk with sustained loss of menses, but trust me, I don't ever intend to stay below 16% for extended periods of time.

Built
02-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Built.. I agree with you on the individual bodypart analysis, it is better for that.. however, just look at the link you sent above... Water testing has been the Gold Standard.. the only reason that DEXA now is, is because of the individual bodypart analysis...

But think about it.. in real "physics"... what is bodyfat analysis over the whole body? it really is about what is solid and what is fat! What sinks and what floats! What is good and what is bad! DEXA is still a "picture" of what your body is and approximations. Whether or not you "sink" is real physics and will show you how solid you are and made of the "good" stuff.

One consideration... the Hydrodensitometry test has to be done correctly.. if you don't empty your lungs of air, results will vary. hence you need to take it a couple of times..

And for.. I don't need individual bodypart analysis.. if your legs are showing the muscle like your abs... then your legs are "fatter". And since you can't really spot reduce the fat, it genetics where it is deposited or eliminated from... does it really matter.

You say tomato.. I say tomoto...

DEXA breaks the analysis down to more than "good and bad" - it provides separate measurements for muscle, fat and BONE. It also divides you into left and right leg, left and right arm, and trunk.

This allows me to see where I'm putting on muscle on a bulk, and where I'm losing muscle on a cut. It also lets me know how my bone density is doing (it's great).

In other words, my tomato is better than your tomato.

;)

galileo
02-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Good job, Hat Chick.

ArchAngel777
02-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Definitely figure (because you have a good one) and
BUILT I HATE YOUR ABS!
I think sometimes it comes down to where your DNA says you will store body fat and you dear lady are gifted I mean look at those abs! At 14%? GOOD GOD !

While it is true that some people store fat different than others, for the most part it is similar with just a slight variation when dealing within the same sex. However, the difference between the sexes is staggering.

At 14%, no man that I know of could ever attain a six pack. However, since a large majority of that 14% fat in women is in their breast and butt, it stands the reason that the fat comes from somewhere... That being said, women body fat for body fat will look a heck of a lot leaner than men... Everywhere except the breasts and butt.

Canadian Crippler
02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Lookin good, Iron Sheik!

BayAreaLexo
03-01-2006, 12:40 AM
LOL Hot Chick is a psedonym. Anyway figure.
=] Oh by the way, I thought Built was the guru of all?? *shrug*

Built
03-01-2006, 12:49 AM
<blows kisses at BayAreaLexo>

<mails cheque>

;)