PDA

View Full Version : approx daily diet?

Spawn_XX
02-11-2006, 08:01 PM
i tried running a search in this forum but it only brings back results that are no more than 2 days old :scratch:

i'm just trying to look up some old threads to see what people's typical daily diet is (the online journals seem to be mostly exercise related).

I read and know about fitday and tracking the calories, but I'm not at that stage yet, so just want %s for now :)

I gather that a 30/30/40 works fairly well. And the carbs should be consumed more in the morning but more fat in the afternoon/night. Also to go a bit more on carbs on gym days, and less carbs/more fat on the off days, correct?

but what should the %s be approximately for each meal? just need approx/close enough stuff for now guys :) based on say 2500 calorie diet..

Thank you all! and again, tried search but nada :scratch:

Built
02-11-2006, 08:49 PM
30/30/40 is meaningless.

Aim for over a gram of protein per pound LBM, and over a half a gram of fat per pound LBM. Fill the rest of the calories with whatever combination of protein, carb and fat you find comfortable.

You can click the link in my sig to see how I use macronutrient timing/carb cycling.

Spartacus
02-11-2006, 09:11 PM
no one should get a minimum amount of both fat and carbohydrates when bulking. when cutting the carbs aren't necessarily helpful, but get enought fat that the overall fat intake over the bulk/cut cycle is sufficient.

Built
02-11-2006, 09:14 PM
no one should get a minimum amount of both fat and carbohydrates when bulking. when cutting the carbs aren't necessarily helpful, but get enought fat that the overall fat intake over the bulk/cut cycle is sufficient.

Ummm...

Huh?

Spartacus
02-12-2006, 01:37 AM
most likely, i ought to have put a comma after the word 'no'.

gator
02-12-2006, 01:53 AM
most likely, i ought to have put a comma after the word 'no'.

haha probably the most important comma ever, changes everything.

Built
02-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Ah.

Okay! LOL!

Spawn_XX
02-12-2006, 08:16 AM
ok, a few questions as i try to understand it (again, i'd love to use the search function but it won't let me search past 2 days.. SORRY!)

So supposed a 2500 calorie diet. 170lb (unsure of LBM? but not too lean), so about 70-75g of fat per day - that's average 15g of fat per meal (a bit less on workout/carb days). 2500 / 5 = 500 calories average per meal. Out of the 600 per meal, 135 come from fat, suppose 60g of protein per meal, so that's 240 cal + 135fat cal = 375. How should I manage the other 125 calories? More fat? More protein (although 60g should be enough for me since i'm recovering from an injury and going slowly)?

Built,

Bulking, I do the exact same thing, but with an INCREASE in calories.
- ok. which calories are increased? same proportions so equally increased?

All meals are protein and fat EXCEPT the one before and the one or two after I train - those are protein and carb.
-gotcha. so how do I fill up the other 125 calories per meal? i either overeat on protein, or add more fat?

Aim for over a gram of protein per pound LBM, and over a half a gram of fat per pound LBM.
-the half of fat per pound is what throws me off. that means i should NOT add more fat, correct? so.. how do i fill those calories? can I just add fruit in??

I'm in crappy shape after a motorcycle accident/surgeries, so I'm slowly trying to get back into it. Tracking precise calories/fit-day is just a bit over my head FOR NOW, but I'm slowly making 5 meals/more calories a habit (coming off a raw-food diet so eating this much takes some time getting used to), and just want to know what I should be aiming for.

Hope my questions were clear? thanks a lot folks (and Built)

edit: oh, the carbs. well the meals around training would have carbs and more calories, so those are fine. its the rest of them i'm worried/curious about.. Thanks !

Built
02-12-2006, 12:23 PM
ok, a few questions as i try to understand it (again, i'd love to use the search function but it won't let me search past 2 days.. SORRY!)

So supposed a 2500 calorie diet. 170lb (unsure of LBM? but not too lean), so about 70-75g of fat per day - that's average 15g of fat per meal (a bit less on workout/carb days). 2500 / 5 = 500 calories average per meal. Out of the 600 per meal, 135 come from fat, suppose 60g of protein per meal, so that's 240 cal + 135fat cal = 375. How should I manage the other 125 calories? More fat? More protein (although 60g should be enough for me since i'm recovering from an injury and going slowly)?
70-80g fat (minimum) and 150g protein (minimum) is correct, bulking or cutting. Both can go higher, don't go lower. The macronutrients do NOT need to be divided evenly amonst all meals, although it's not a bad idea to divvy up the protein this way.

-ep,

Built,

- ok. which calories are increased? same proportions so equally increased?
The whole thing here is that the proportions/ratios mean nothing. Just get in your minimums (based upon your LBM) for protein and fat. The rest of your calories can literally come from any combination of protein, carb and fat you find comfortable. I feel more comfortable on higher protein and fat, so that's where I add the extra calories. Some prefer higher carb, or higher protein and carb - if this is you, knock yourself out.

-gotcha. so how do I fill up the other 125 calories per meal? i either overeat on protein, or add more fat?
See above. You can also simply add another meal (or two)

-the half of fat per pound is what throws me off. that means i should NOT add more fat, correct? so.. how do i fill those calories? can I just add fruit in??
You can go right ahead and add more fat. I mostly use fat as a caloric ballast - I'm bulking right now, and I feed my 110 lbs of LBM about 200g protein and about 80-100g fat daily.

I'm in crappy shape after a motorcycle accident/surgeries, so I'm slowly trying to get back into it. Tracking precise calories/fit-day is just a bit over my head FOR NOW, but I'm slowly making 5 meals/more calories a habit (coming off a raw-food diet so eating this much takes some time getting used to), and just want to know what I should be aiming for.

Hope my questions were clear? thanks a lot folks (and Built)

edit: oh, the carbs. well the meals around training would have carbs and more calories, so those are fine. its the rest of them i'm worried/curious about.. Thanks !

Most of what I do for diet is based on a combination of personal comfort and macronutrient timing recommendations based upon Berardi and a few other sources.

You do NOT have to do this if you don't want to. I've simply offered it up because it works, I like it, and I get asked a LOT.

The basics - track maintenance cals on fitday, over a gram of protein and over half a gram of fat per pound LBM and gradually increasing or decreasing cals (with whatever combination of p, c, and f you like) are fairly standard to all but extreme BB-type diets.

Does this help?

Spawn_XX
02-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Does this help?

definitely. Thanks. now I have a starting point :smoke: