PDA

View Full Version : Eating before bed

Y0yo
02-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Sorry, I tried the search, it's not up and running yet.

I usually have a little something before bed like a spoon of peanut butter or a shake. Recently, I started a conversation with a friend and he seems to be under the impression that your body automatically stores it as fat since you are sleeping. I know this isn't true, so I came on here looking for articles and links that I could show him. I've found a few from searchs on google, but I hoped that someone here might know of a good read.

getfit
02-12-2006, 02:15 AM
it's fine, i usually have some cottage cheese,fruit and a handful of almonds

Y0yo
02-12-2006, 02:18 AM
it's fine, i usually have some cottage cheese,fruit and a handful of almonds

I have no doubt about it, I was just looking for something of a scientific read or explanation behind it. The "Eating before bed makes you fat" myth is still around, I'm just looking for the reason behind this, and how to dispprove it.

getfit
02-12-2006, 02:23 AM
this is what i found

http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm/cmi_1741946/cid_33

Y0yo
02-12-2006, 04:57 AM
I found the same link earlier, but wasn't too accurate as to why it's OK leaving the idea open that science may prove that we digest food differently (Perhaps in a bad way) if we eat before bed.

Still an interesting read...I did find this on John Berardi's site
Bedtime Story (http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bedtime.htm)

Shao-LiN
02-12-2006, 09:33 AM
How bout you have your friend provide articles stating that any and all food gets converted to fat when you sleep?

HILL
02-12-2006, 10:07 AM
trying searching for catobolic state while sleeping i think it is.

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
o nooooo if you 3atz b3f0rzzz y0u sl33p y0u w1ll g37 1337 fa7z0rz !!!111oneoneone

(that was my pitiful attempt at computer shorthand)

Skinny_DiezeL
02-12-2006, 06:36 PM
o nooooo if you 3atz b3f0rzzz y0u sl33p y0u w1ll g37 1337 fa7z0rz !!!111oneoneone

(that was my pitiful attempt at computer shorthand)

shorthand? seems like it makes it twice as long....:confused:

Bikkstah
02-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Sorry, I tried the search, it's not up and running yet.

I usually have a little something before bed like a spoon of peanut butter or a shake. Recently, I started a conversation with a friend and he seems to be under the impression that your body automatically stores it as fat since you are sleeping. I know this isn't true, so I came on here looking for articles and links that I could show him. I've found a few from searchs on google, but I hoped that someone here might know of a good read.

You're abstaining from food for 8 hours (approx). Would you do this when awake? Think about it, it makes sense to eat right before bed. Your body gets more done during sleep than any other time in the day. It regrows tissue, repairs muscle fibers, replenishes necessary chemicals, etc etc. I just recently started downing a protein shake before bed and I haven't noticed a single issue (i'm on a cut).

Vayu
02-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I've been trying this eating before bed thing for awhile now. :burger:

I used to have half a banana and a glass of milk. The banana helped me sleep and the milk has good proteins.

Sometimes i'll have a spoonful of peanut butter... but last time I did that I dreamed I was a robot. :shoot: :bash:

Some lowfat yogurt works well, but I still like the banana and milk. I wake up feeling nice and it doesn't seem to be adding any fat.
Someone told me it would make me fat, but I guess they aren't in the know-how like several members of this forum. I say eat before bed or pay the price! :hump:

-V

mikey4402
02-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Sometimes i'll have a spoonful of peanut butter... but last time I did that I dreamed I was a robot. :shoot: :bash:

-V
that is awsome!!!, eats PB and takes nap

Y0yo
02-13-2006, 04:34 AM
He keeps quoting 'trainers' tips from sites like this http://www.sideroad.com/Diet_and_Nutrition/healthy-eating-habit.html
Near the middle there's something about not eating 3 hours before bed because your body slows down and will not be burning as many calories blah blah blah...

HardToSquat
02-13-2006, 06:44 AM
When I cut and bulk, I always eat a minimum of 500 calories before going to sleep. I am cutting currently and last night I had three servings of cottage cheese with fruit, 6 fish oil capsules and a tablespoon of Olive Oil.

I have been cutting for about three weeks now and I am down 5.5 pounds.

I am 6'3 and weigh 232.5 now.

Shao-LiN
02-13-2006, 06:53 AM
He keeps quoting 'trainers' tips from sites like this http://www.sideroad.com/Diet_and_Nutrition/healthy-eating-habit.html
Near the middle there's something about not eating 3 hours before bed because your body slows down and will not be burning as many calories blah blah blah...

If those are the words quoted, that still doesn't say that all food gets converted to fat when you start sleeping. Also, do those "trainers" cite any studies proving their point? I can say stupid **** too, doesn't mean it's true.

Y0yo
02-13-2006, 09:36 AM
That's why I was hoping for more of a scientific read. I'm sure I'll run into something.

Davidelmo
02-13-2006, 09:44 AM
You're abstaining from food for 8 hours (approx). Would you do this when awake? Think about it, it makes sense to eat right before bed. Your body gets more done during sleep than any other time in the day. It regrows tissue, repairs muscle fibers, replenishes necessary chemicals, etc etc. I just recently started downing a protein shake before bed and I haven't noticed a single issue (i'm on a cut).

Damn right, me too.

CrazyPalm
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I usually eat at least half my days calories within two hours of going to bed. I have no idea whether its good for me or bad but I can just eat so much more at that time. Like I've said before I've just given up trying anything else.

Sokar1723
02-15-2006, 09:20 AM
I eat a cup of cottage cheese before bed.

Meat_Head
02-15-2006, 10:20 AM
My meal before bed is probably the biggest of the day. It works wonders for bulking, think about it - all that nutrition + little caloric expenditure means you get more bang for your buck as far as food goes. The eating food before bed makes you fat thing is bull****, unless you overdo it obviously. While cutting, cottage cheese before bed is perfect - low fat, low carbs, and tons of casein that will minimize the catabolic state throughout the night.

Con
02-15-2006, 01:44 PM
So the primary thing to eat when going to bed is protein?

Built
02-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Protein and fat, yes.

Con
02-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Good, Last night i ate a cup of cottage cheese and 2 table spoons of PB, was hoping fats were ok :)

djreef
02-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I think the distinction must be made between weight trained "athletes" and those in the general population. Just because I choke down 600 calories before bed doesn't mean that it's necessarily good for my sedentary neighbor to do the same. I would venture to bet a good % of what he consumes directly before bed would find its way into adipose tissue. I don't think the apples are oranges here.

DJ

Patz
02-16-2006, 03:36 PM
It only makes sense to me that, while the body is expending the least amount of energy, you'd want it to have plenty of nutrients with which to take care of all the piled up work it doesn't get to throughout the day. That's prime time to heal, build, etc.