PDA

View Full Version : PSMF vs a ketogenic diet

eatit
02-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I tried searching but could only come up with results for one or the other. Has anyone tried both? (i know a PSMF is basically a ketogenic diet, but it allows all those veggies) Which did you see the best results with? Which did you find was easiest to adhear to? And what were your overall results?

thanks!

Junin
02-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Check out www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums for more information on a PSMF. Basically a PSMF is a no-fat, no-carb diet. The ery low calorie limit will make it very effective in creating a caloric deficit. There are posters here who will attack a PSMF because they feel that it will 'crash' your metabolism and you'll be doing more harm to yourself, but check it out for yourself.

eatit
02-12-2006, 01:16 PM
yeah, i go there quite a bit. I just wanted some comments from people who have either done both or know quite a bit about both.

Because from what i understand you wouldn't go into a state of ketosis on a PSMF due to the fact that ones fat intake is not high enough. I was wondering if the state of ketosis increased fat loss enough to counter the extra ammount of calories you're adding to your body when compared to a PSMF.

Shao-LiN
02-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, it really depends on your diet strategy/philosophy. A PSMF is a crash diet meant to make you drop drastic amounts of weight quickly. Although it is designed to be "protein sparing" it carries a much higher risk of dropping LBM than a CKD. CKD type diets are meant to help preserve as much lean mass as possible, and in some cases (i.e. UD2), some people tend to add some lean mass. The big difference here is that it is a slower process as far as weight loss goes.

I've tried a UD2 and a PSMF, and although I sacrificed a small amount of LBM, I have to say that I was pretty satisfied with my results. I dropped about 20 pounds in the span of 4 weeks and am less of a fatty than I was when I started =P.

eatit
02-12-2006, 02:36 PM
did you cycle between the UD2 and the PSMF?

twenty pounds in four weeks... very impressive. Did you go into ketosis with the PSMF or am i correct in assuming fat intake is not high enough to achieve this state?

Shao-LiN
02-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I wasn't really paying attention as to whether I was in ketosis or not. I didn't cycle between them. I had done a CKD a few months prior to when I attempted a PSMF. Both work great, but which one you use is pretty dependent on your goals. I just like experimenting around with different diets, supplements, routines, etc. I like to know what works for me.

JustLost
02-12-2006, 06:56 PM
yeah, i go there quite a bit. I just wanted some comments from people who have either done both or know quite a bit about both.

Because from what i understand you wouldn't go into a state of ketosis on a PSMF due to the fact that ones fat intake is not high enough. I was wondering if the state of ketosis increased fat loss enough to counter the extra ammount of calories you're adding to your body when compared to a PSMF.

You don't need a high fat intake (or any fat intake) to go into ketosis; it's more a function of the absense of carbs. People who are doing a total fast generally go into ketosis, for instance. Also ketosis doesn't really increase fat loss all that much, if at all. There's a tiny amount of fat excreted as ketones, but it's not much. Atkins exaggerated the amount lost as ketones, and others picked it up.

Shao-LiN
02-12-2006, 10:07 PM
That's true. Ketosis is more of a side effect, it's not really the major point of the diet....at least that's the case with UD2.

TheGimp
02-13-2006, 01:20 AM
I have done both a PSMF (at least how Lyle interprets it with his rapid fat loss book) and UD2.0 and would say that they both have their strengths. In my mind UD2.0 is the superior of the two because due to the cyclical nature of the diet it allows you to essentially gain muscle while losing fat. A PSMF has its uses however; if you really need to lose fat as fast as possible then there is no parallel.

UD2.0 also offers the (significant) psychological boost of being able to gorge yourself on carbs on a regular basis. For best results however you should really stick to clean carb sources which means no (little) fat and only a little fructose (or sucrose) which rules out a lot of foods you might want to cheat with. Coupled with the large amount of carbs you have to eat and constantly spiking blood sugar, the carb load can in some ways be as bad as the low carb/low cal phase of the diet.

In some ways I feel a PSMF is more flexible in terms of time constraints, due to the fact that UD2.0 is a weekly cycle. As an example, if you had say 17 days in which to diet then you could do 17 days of PSMF. However you'd only be only to fit in 2 weeks of UD2.0 and be left with 3 days over. Having said that, the carb load and Saturday of UD2.0 permits you to fit in "normal" activities like going out for a meal or possibly even going out drinking (although my personal recommendation would be to avoid this).

Results... well I'm currently in the middle of UD2.0, having done 6 weeks of it since the start of the year. My waist has dropped from 30 inches to 28.25 inches, weight has dropped from 140.8 lbs to 137.6 lbs, and most of my lifts have increased. Details in my journal.

Shao-LiN
02-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Well, there are 3 different categories of the PSMF. I, personally, followed the category 2, so that still allowed me to go out on the weekends and eat up a storm. To be honest, I was mindful of what I ate, but I still ate what I was craving all week. Didn't really pay attention to how much fat/carbs I was taking in, just ate.

Junin
02-13-2006, 10:03 AM
I've been following a PSMF since December 1, 2005. I started in at the end of my bulking cycle at 182lbs. As of a few days ago, I weigh 152. 30lbs in just over 2 months.

As far as the rigors of staying on the diet vs cheating on the diet.. I don't plan cheat days. I'm well enough in tune with my body to know when I absolutely need to feed it more than the restriction level of calories. Every once in a while I just snap and go to a chinese buffet. Wooo, but I am never as strict as I am the days following that meal!

seK
02-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Where can I find more information on the UD2.0 plan. I am just looking into my various options for my first cut ect.

JustLost
02-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Where can I find more information on the UD2.0 plan. I am just looking into my various options for my first cut ect.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Shao-LiN
02-13-2006, 05:49 PM

Can buy the e-book from the site posted. And yes, you do need to buy it to get the actual plan. It definately is worth the money even if you don't plan on doing the diet. It has a bit of discussion on nutrition, metabolism, etc.

TheGimp
02-16-2006, 04:13 AM
I agree with Shao-Lin, it is an excellent introduction to a more complex understanding of metabolism and the impact dieting has on it.