PDA

View Full Version : How would you adjust your daily diet here.

gator
02-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Allright I have two examples.questions here

Example 1: You friends ask you to play some basketball in like an hour, you love sports so you say yes. Whats the best way to add cals to make up for all the calories burned? What I currently do is Eat something with carbs before I go, normally this is poptarts (mainly because I love them and this where I can add them). Then when I get back have something like a granola bar with carbs in it. I do this hoping that I will just be burning off all the carbs from those two items during playing time. What would be optimal here?

Example 2: You know your going to be playing basketball tomorrow at X time, so you can adjust your diet a day ahead of time. Whats the best way to make sure your not eating up muscle by burning too many cals.

I know there are many ways to go about this, but I'm looking for what the BEST way.

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Unless your a really hard gainer i don't believe that playing basketball will need significant recalculating of cals...if anything i would probably throw in another protein shake after the bball...

gator
02-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Well bball will burn between 400-700 cals each time I play, If I play twice a week thats pretty significant. Remember I'm looking for the BEST way. Should I be eating before or after playing. Should I be putting dex in a shake if I do that afterwards?

p0tential
02-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Eat before and after you play. Thats what I would do.

gator
02-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Eat before and after you play. Thats what I would do.

Would you be eating foods with high carbs?

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Well bball will burn between 400-700 cals each time I play, If I play twice a week thats pretty significant.

okay think about that statement...thats a total of at max 1400 cals A WEEK...thats probably how much i burn a week sitting on the pot since im there so often...liek i said before that 1400 cals really won't matter that much unless you are an extreme hardgainer...i would probably eat a granola bar or something before and have a protein shake after...

gator
02-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Thats .5 lbs a week or 26lbs a year. In the grand scheme of things it's pretty big. I just asked a question, I'm not looking for someone to tell me it doesn't matter. I'm looking for the BEST (apparently I can't stress that word enough to you) way to go about it.

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 05:32 PM
its .5 lbs a week IF you don't eat anything for that week...i don't get where your thinking 1400 cals burned in a WEEK measures up at all in the grand scheme of things...remember big picture, don't sweat the small stuff and this 1400 cals would be considered very small...

brickt.
02-12-2006, 05:38 PM
You're overanalysing. If at the end of the week you haven't gained, and you're doing bball on a regular basis, up your daily cals. Problem solved, excess thinking aborted.

gator
02-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Let see here I'm cutting and I average 2600 cals a day x 7 days a week that is 18,200 cals a week. 1400/18200 is 8% of my total cals for the week. When cutting and trying to make sure I dont loose to much weight because of muscle loss it's a big deal. People pay tons of money a month for supps that wont even have an 8% effect. I'm someone who looks for every edge, I dont have cheat days every week and I'm really serious about bodybuilding, if you can't respect that then stop posting in this thread.

gator
02-12-2006, 05:40 PM
You're overanalysing. If at the end of the week you haven't gained, and you're doing bball on a regular basis, up your daily cals. Problem solved, excess thinking aborted.

Man my hours of research is really kicking in here. I feel like I know more than most(not everyone there are some very smart people here) people here. Eating is a lot about timing if you want maximum results, not just throwing in some extra cals here and there.

I guess these responces are why I've started to post more in the bodybuilding.com forums. Here it's a lot of people who think they know what their talking about, and let their ego get in the way, like the guys in the gym putting on 315 on the squat bar and going down 3 inches.

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 05:42 PM
if you would have read my other posts...again in the grand scheme of things 1400 cals is petty especially if your on a cut? eat a granola bar or soemthing before and a protein shake after if you can afford the cals...and if your really serious about bodybuilding, you understand that most bodybuilders get up to at least 220 before considering going on a cut right?

gator
02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
you understand that most bodybuilders get up to at least 220 before considering going on a cut right?

Another ignorant post, your not factoring in height, bf or anything here. Nothing to back up that claim. Hey built did you get up to 220 before you cut? heh

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Another ignorant post, your not factoring in height, bf or anything here. Nothing to back up that claim. Hey built did you get up to 220 before you cut? heh

again...built is a WOMAN and is not 5'11''

brickt.
02-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Listen to me. Carefully. This isn't, and I stress, is NOT, rocket surgery. If you're doing it on a regular basis, add 200 cals to your daily totals. If by the end of the week, you haven't gained sufficently, add another 200 to daily. Easy.

Also, if you wanted optimal results, you would have hired a personal dietician with a PhD in Biochemistry/Nutrition and Dietics, would have hired someone to give you a perfect training routine for your body, and would be on a ****load of supplements.

Oh, you haven't done those things?

Edit:

I guess these responces are why I've started to post more in the bodybuilding.com forums. Here it's a lot of people who think they know what their talking about, and let their ego get in the way, like the guys in the gym putting on 315 on the squat bar and going down 3 inches.

You, sir, are a dickhead!

gator
02-12-2006, 05:48 PM
again...built is a WOMAN and is not 5'11''

so are you saying MOST bodybuilders are 5'11'' males, I will lay down any money most are not of those specificaitons. However I'm in college and when chicks are always wanting to see my muscles and have me lift up my shirt I'm not into waiting till I get up to 15% bf to cut. Different people have different priorities, non are wrong just suited for diffferent people in different sutuations.

gator
02-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Listen to me. Carefully. This isn't, and I stress, is NOT, rocket surgery. If you're doing it on a regular basis, add 200 cals to your daily totals. If by the end of the week, you haven't gained sufficently, add another 200 to daily. Easy.

Also, if you wanted optimal results, you would have hired a personal dietician with a PhD in Biochemistry/Nutrition and Dietics, would have hired someone to give you a perfect training routine for your body, and would be on a ****load of supplements.

Oh, you haven't done those things?

People love to turn things into the extreme situtation.

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Different people have different priorities, non are wrong just suited for diffferent people in different sutuations.

i agree

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 05:51 PM
but again in the grand scheme of things especially if you are on a cut, those 1400 cals you burn playing bball a week will not significantly make you lose LBM, you have 2 people telling you this and if you don't want to believe it fine, but then don't ask the question...

Optimum08
02-12-2006, 05:51 PM
and if you don't like it here shut up and get out and go to the bodybuilding.com forums...

gator
02-12-2006, 07:09 PM
and if you don't like it here shut up and get out and go to the bodybuilding.com forums...

there are a lot of memebers in this forum I greatly respect, which is why I'm still here, most of the time I just end up PM'ing them instead of going through forums.

p0tential
02-12-2006, 07:10 PM
I think people need to calm down...

Utopianhopes
02-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Best way I think would be to treat it like a workout and eat carbs with protein before and after playing. Also, throw in Gatorade during the game for quick hydration (make adjustment for it all to fit under your calorie intake). My major concern wouldn't be losing muscle more of performance. What youíre debating is merely 1% difference of the total picture (rough estimate). I don't feel that your concerns are justified, because I don't think you plan to enter a bb show.

When cutting and trying to make sure I donít loose to much weight because of muscle loss it's a big deal.

You know all it really takes to hold on to muscle is to take enough protein a day. If you don't believe me read Lyle McDonalds rapid fat loss handbook.

By the way, youíre handling the situation poorly. If you feel people are not giving you the advice you desire then merely say "thank you" and ask someone you feel knows best.

Built
02-12-2006, 08:01 PM

Thankfully, no! 170 was the heaviest I got to, and that was quite enough!

I sometimes go on long bike rides with my husband and his buddies - like, three-hour hammers around Vancouver, Stanley Park, the seawall... I just make sure to eat a crap load of food those days to make sure I don't go into a caloric deficit.

gator
02-12-2006, 08:06 PM
You know all it really takes to hold on to muscle is to take enough protein a day. If you don't believe me read Lyle McDonalds rapid fat loss handbook.

Where Can i view this at? Also are you saying that you could lose 4lbs a week of fat and keep your muscle as long as your eating tons of protein?

brickt.
02-12-2006, 09:17 PM
www.bodyrecomposition.com

There are alot of factors involved.

tigo
02-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Where Can i view this at? Also are you saying that you could lose 4lbs a week of fat and keep your muscle as long as your eating tons of protein?

isnt that the basis of psmf?

brickt.
02-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Yep, loads of protein. All 1200 calories worth.

Utopianhopes
02-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks brickt (for answering the questions). :thumbup: