PDA

View Full Version : Possibly stupid question

K 1 N G
02-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this website but I've had a question involving weight lifting for quite awhile and I'm hoping to get it cleared up. I know that when you do a chest workout you are only supposed to do it once or twice a week to prevent overworking the muscle group. How does this theory relate to push-ups and sit-ups? Can you do too many of push-ups? Say i do as many push-ups as I can throughout the day, every day. Would this be too much? If it's ok to do as many push-ups as possible, what seperates this from benching everyday?

Thanks for your help.
Any input is appreciated.

Sensei
02-12-2006, 10:08 PM
It depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to improve your muscular endurance, you can and should train with higher volume/frequency.

K 1 N G
02-12-2006, 10:09 PM
So if i was trying to increase the amount of push-ups i could do, doing them as often as possible is ok?

USN1981
02-12-2006, 10:21 PM
K1NG,

I work chest/tris on Wednesdays, and still have to do military PT
5 days/week which is about 200 pushups a day on top of my workout. im still making gains just fine, dont sweat it man.

d'Anconia
02-13-2006, 12:26 AM
K1NG yes that would be okay. Of course I'm not sure exactly how going to failure at very high repetitions and frequently would be on the CNS though. Someone want to jump in on this one?
When people train at lower reptition ranges they have to worry about going to failure too often and I'm wondering if it applies to high-rep/high-freq exercises. To be on the safe side though I would not go all the way to failure, just a couple short or so.