PDA

View Full Version : My New Routine

K.Huget
02-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm relatively new to powerlifting so i'm going to need some advice on the routine I made. Before this I was only hitting the big three lifts once a week and I felt that most powerlifting routines required you to do each one AT LEAST twice a week. I feel like I can definetely handle them twice a week.

Monday/Thursday (slashes mean I rotate exercises)
Bench Press- http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm routine
Pushdowns/Dips - 3-4 sets of 6-10
Squats - 5-7 sets of 1-6
Leg Curls/Laying leg curls - 3-4 sets of 8-10
Calf Raises - 4-5 quick sets of 6-10

Tuesday/Friday (slashes mean exercises are rotated)
Military Press/Dumbell Military Press - 5-7 sets of 2-8
Shrugs/Lateral Raises - 3-4 sets of 6-10
Deadlift - 5-6 sets of 1-6
Seated Row/Barbell Row - 4 sets of 6-10
Dumbell Curls/Barbell Curls - 2-4 sets of 6-10 (As little as possible)

If you have any comments or things I should change please speak your mind. I would like to start this routine tomorrow and need opinions fast.

johnnytang24
02-13-2006, 03:00 AM
I think it's too much. Especially deadlifting heavy twice a week AND squatting heavy twice a week. Even deadlifting twice a week is too much.

Thanks.

Optimum08
02-13-2006, 04:35 PM
thats a lot of volume...im currently using a modified westside routine..and even that is basically split into a heavy squat/deadlift day and a lighter more explosive day and a heavy bench day with a lighter more explosive day as well...you may want to look into not training squat and dead heavy twice a week as those exercises are very taxing to the CNS...

Sensei
02-13-2006, 04:55 PM
There's absolutely no way I could do one of those workouts, let alone finish the week, using any respectable amount of weight.

After doing a heavy bench workout, there's no way I can load up the bar and do heavy squats... I'm not saying it can't be done - a lot of people can do and do it well, but I'm not one of them.

If nothing else, consider alternating squats and deadlifts within a single session rather than doing one or the other in EVERY session - your lower back is going to take quite a beating if you don't.

K.Huget
02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm going to finish out the week and see how I feel. The workout today felt great and was only about an hour and a quarter at the most. It's too early to tell though.

Man, that's frustrating. There isn't a single routine out there that I even remotely like. Another question. How much should the squat actually have an effect on the lower back? I've never really felt anything in my lower back the day after squatting, it's always been the quads.

Thanks for your input

puny_ectomorph
02-15-2006, 08:24 AM
From what I've researched, many of the top lifters and respected iron game writers recommend training heavy deadlift once every other week. The Westside guys only do an actual deadlift in competition.

-puny-

puny_ectomorph
02-15-2006, 08:28 AM
How much should the squat actually have an effect on the lower back? I've never really felt anything in my lower back the day after squatting, it's always been the quads.

Thanks for your input

Different bodies react differently, but the power-style squat relies more on the hamstrings and posterior chain than the quads (although they are utilized). Which style are you using...olympic (bar high on the shoulders, feet shoulder-width, more emphasis on knees and quads) or power (bar low on shoulders, feet wide, more of a 'sit-back' motion to begin the movement with the shins staying as vertical as possible)? Using correct form will have a lot to do with it, and the power style is pretty technical.

Thanks to Sensei and Drew for providing me the above info in earlier posts :bow:

-puny-

K.Huget
02-15-2006, 12:11 PM
From what I've researched, many of the top lifters and respected iron game writers recommend training heavy deadlift once every other week. The Westside guys only do an actual deadlift in competition.

-puny-
That's pretty interesting, thanks for mentioning it. I guess i'll do some more research myself, but I really do enjoy deadlifting. I used to hate back day but it really grew on me. I get what you guys mean though, no matter how much I enjoy deadlifting it could still really **** up my back if I overdo it.

Different bodies react differently, but the power-style squat relies more on the hamstrings and posterior chain than the quads (although they are utilized). Which style are you using...olympic (bar high on the shoulders, feet shoulder-width, more emphasis on knees and quads) or power (bar low on shoulders, feet wide, more of a 'sit-back' motion to begin the movement with the shins staying as vertical as possible)? Using correct form will have a lot to do with it, and the power style is pretty technical.

Thanks to Sensei and Drew for providing me the above info in earlier posts :bow:

-puny-

It seems like i'd be using olympic because my feet aren't too wide, and I feel it in my quads. I'm not quite sure what you mean by bar high on shoulders, I guess it just kind of sit on my traps, or a bit lower. It seems like I am sticking my ass out already and sitting back so my shins stay pretty straight. I'll look more into the power squat because i'm guessing it lets you put more weight up.

I appreciate the help dude

Sensei
02-15-2006, 01:11 PM

-puny-WSers do a lot more pulling than people seem to think - they aren't doing regular DLs as their max effort exercise, but they are doing speed pulls, or Dimel DLs, or DLs off the low pulley, etc... on a regular basis.

puny_ectomorph
02-15-2006, 04:14 PM
WSers do a lot more pulling than people seem to think - they aren't doing regular DLs as their max effort exercise, but they are doing speed pulls, or Dimel DLs, or DLs off the low pulley, etc... on a regular basis.

Yeah, should have clarified myself.

-puny-