PDA

View Full Version : High School Sports. Public/Private Split.

midee1
02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Just starting this thread to get everyones thoughts. This is a subject that I am thrust right in the middle of. My son's football team won the KY AA State Football Championship this year. They were the only public school to win out of the 4 divisions. It has stirred up a pretty fierce debate as to whether privates should be allowed to compete with the publics in sports.

What are some other opinions?

Here is a link to a local story.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/content/current/front/sports.pdf

BilltheButcher
02-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Concerned about recruiting done by private schools?

I went to a private all boys HS. We had 145 in our graduating class but we played against the highest level HS that had 1000-2000 boys in their graduating classes. I didn't think it was that fair but when we won FB Sectionals 2 years and won the state title in basketball 3 out of 5 years, all b/c guys were transfering in their varsity seasons to play with guys they met at all star camps. Thus making dream teams. I met a couple guys at Penn State camp and convenced them to transfer their Junior years. Definetly the missing pieces to the team.

However, there is no way that public and private schools should not compete against one another. We played plenty of public schools in football, b-ball and LAX, they kicked our asses quite a few times. If your public school develops a great athletic program, people will move their families there and try to get their kids to go there.

The Catholic school I went to was not b/c of sports but b/c of education and to not have to deal with the BS that public schools need to deal with. IE, students who are there to cause trouble and not learn.

midee1
02-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Concerned about recruiting done by private schools?

I went to a private all boys HS. We had 145 in our graduating class but we played against the highest level HS that had 1000-2000 boys in their graduating classes. I didn't think it was that fair but when we won FB Sectionals 2 years and won the state title in basketball 3 out of 5 years, all b/c guys were transfering in their varsity seasons to play with guys they met at all star camps. Thus making dream teams. I met a couple guys at Penn State camp and convenced them to transfer their Junior years. Definetly the missing pieces to the team.

However, there is no way that public and private schools should not compete against one another. We played plenty of public schools in football, b-ball and LAX, they kicked our asses quite a few times. If your public school develops a great athletic program, people will move their families there and try to get their kids to go there.

The Catholic school I went to was not b/c of sports but b/c of education and to not have to deal with the BS that public schools need to deal with. IE, students who are there to cause trouble and not learn.

Excellent reply. And yes Russell has developed that kind of team. We have excellent academics as well. The football team, in the 4 years my son played, won their district all 4 years, the region 3 out of 4, went to the state semi finals 3 out of 4 and won a championship.

As for this years playoffs. Of 8 teams playing only 3 were public. It has just turned into a bitter battle in KY.

BilltheButcher
02-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Excellent reply. And yes Russell has developed that kind of team. We have excellent academics as well. The football team, in the 4 years my son played, won their district all 4 years, the region 3 out of 4, went to the state semi finals 3 out of 4 and won a championship.

As for this years playoffs. Of 8 teams playing only 3 were public. It has just turned into a bitter battle in KY.

But rivalries are what it is all about in HS sports. Bitter the better, IMO. Where are you guys Louisville?

midee1
02-13-2006, 10:53 AM
But rivalries are what it is all about in HS sports. Bitter the better, IMO. Where are you guys Louisville?

We're not in Louisville. That's just where the Finals were played. We are outside of Ashland in the Eastern part of the state bordering OH and WV.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=709+red+devil+lane&city=Russell&state=ky&zipcode=41169

dblockspky
02-13-2006, 12:07 PM
as somebody that just got done with his high school football career I believe that public and private schools should plaly each other. There are many public schools that can dominate private schools. However, when it comes to playoff time I think that everything should be separate. Because normally what you see in most states is the powerhouse private schools that recruit are always the ones to win the title. In your article it looks like private schools dominate everything, not all states are like that though. I live in New Jersey, we have our fair share of dominant private schools, but thre are also many public schools that are ranked in the state top 20 who also go on to win state titles every year

midee1
02-13-2006, 12:18 PM
as somebody that just got done with his high school football career I believe that public and private schools should plaly each other. There are many public schools that can dominate private schools. However, when it comes to playoff time I think that everything should be separate. Because normally what you see in most states is the powerhouse private schools that recruit are always the ones to win the title. In your article it looks like private schools dominate everything, not all states are like that though. I live in New Jersey, we have our fair share of dominant private schools, but thre are also many public schools that are ranked in the state top 20 who also go on to win state titles every year

I know in AA a public has won it the past 3 years. I could do some research and find out the rest if needed. The only time we ever go against a private is in the finals because there are no privates in our district. (BTW my son is #53 in the picture:) )

BilltheButcher
02-13-2006, 12:33 PM

By this thinking, public schools should get the benefit all around. Be able to pad their records by dominating private, but then when it comes down to it, don't play private schools so they can win the state and sectional titles. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Are the private schools that are winning all the KY titles from inside the city of Louisville?

midee1
02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Are the private schools that are winning all the KY titles from inside the city of Louisville?

No. You had Lexington Catholic, Newport Central Catholic and Trinity which is in Louisville.

Utopianhopes
02-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Everyone recruits in South Florida so it not much of a big deal. You get the occasional rival coach who snitches on their opponent.