PDA

View Full Version : Too Much TUNA unhealthy?

WORLD
02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
I am a bit confused. On one side, I am given a high protein diet and I am told to eat 2 cans of tuna per day, to help achieve my daily protein intake. Then, others warn me not to eat so much tuna in my diet, due to too much consumption of mercury. I dont know who to listen to. I tried doing a bit of research on this topic but came up with limited results. I stumbled upon this website: http://www.ewg.org/issues/mercury/20031209/calculator.php

Check it out, it's quick and easy. It tells you how much tuna is safe to eat according to your weight. Apparently, I can only eat 2-3 cans a week. Wow, I am eating 12 too many cans. Am i going to die? lol

Give me your opinions.

Built
02-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Are you trying to avoid all other forms of protein? There's steak, chicken, pork, lamb, buffalo, eggs, fish ...

offhegoes03
02-13-2006, 07:33 PM
hmm.. if that's the case, then I'm eating waaaayy too much tuna. I have like 3oz-6oz a day. Maybe not every day, but definitely 4-5 days a week. I'm getting my protein from other sources too, but it's such a good food to pack in extra protein without all the fat.

SilverYello
02-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Talked to my dad on the issue. Hes a doc. I asked him awhile ago so I dont know if I am remembering correctly. He said mercury levels matter on where the tuna comes from. ie the deeper the water the less mercury? Can anyone elaborate on this, or back it up?

WORLD
02-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Are you trying to avoid all other forms of protein? There's steak, chicken, pork, lamb, buffalo, eggs, fish ...

No absolutely not. I eat atleast one tuna sandwich everyday, as a snack along with some nuts. I find it is easy to make, cheap and low in fat. I eat an assortment of protein rich foods for my other meals, but as of now, tuna is being used in my diet on a regular.

kad
02-13-2006, 08:51 PM
This article might prove helpful:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=753983

MJS
02-14-2006, 04:27 AM

Buffalo? haha where did you come up with that. I've been laughing for 5 minutes, not making fun what-so-ever, it just not something you hear of people eating very often. Is it good?

brickt.
02-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Game meat rocks, man. I eat Kangaroo all the time.

SilverYello
02-14-2006, 11:30 AM
When I went out to Montana I had buffalo and elk burgers every day for lunch (1/2lb). It was awesome. Very lean.

Built
02-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Buffalo is really good, yes. It's available in grocery stores where I live. Really lean, really red. I think it's also sold as "bison" in some places.

whiteman90909
02-14-2006, 03:54 PM
yeah, tuna doesnt naturally contain mercury. tuna eat smaller fish, which contain alot of mercury. most other big game fish dont eat other fish, so any fish thats an herbivore wont have high mercury levels. thats why tuna contains so much mercury, they eat other fish.

To avoid the whole mercury problem, you could just see if you can eat some other fish, one thats not a carnivore, and one with low mercury levels. thats the best i can explain it.

malkore
02-16-2006, 10:54 AM
that t-nation article explains it all. yes it matters if its chunk light vs. white albacore (albacore has more mercury in it).

buffalo burgers are AWESOME!

galileo
02-16-2006, 11:06 AM
I swore the title said TNA.