PDA

View Full Version : Self-Destructive

csd123
02-17-2006, 07:11 AM
I don't know what I'm looking for as far as a response goes, but I am killing my progress by chaeting on my diet. This has been a pattern for me for years. I use Fitday, I cook all my meals on Sunday for the week, plan on eating 6x's, etc... What typically happens is that I will get busy at some point and I will miss my meal and get too hungry. Once this happens, my resolve to eat well goes out the window. I have an insane sweet tooth, if I eat anything sweet it is like a switch is flipped and I don't stop. I will literally eat chocolate or some other sweet until I feel sick.

I am 31 y/o, 6', 225lbs. I have been lifting for years and have made great gains, but this obstical is killing me. I can't lose my lower stomach and love handles.

I know that I need to stay away from sweets period and eat at regular intervals. Knowing and doing are worlds apart. I guess I am looking for some support or pointers for staying on track.

Anthony
02-17-2006, 07:18 AM
The "all or nothing" attitude is the downfall of a lot of people. You put so much pressure on yourself to be perfect that when you're not, you throw everything out the window. The first step is coming to terms with the fact that you will never have a perfect diet. Life gets in the way! But all is not lost. Most of us make great progress on diets that are less than perfect, but highly consistent.

So do yourself a favor. Allow yourself a treat now and then, as long as you stick to your plan most (ie, 80-90%) of the time.

Unreal
02-17-2006, 07:49 AM
I've also been battling the same issues. Every once and awhile I get so hungry I just can't stop myself from gorging till I'm so full I can't eat anymore. While I've been showing good progress I just think of how much faster it would be if I didn't do this. Recently I've found that doing what Anthony said works well. Realize that your diet won't be 100% perfect. If you are hungry, eat something. Its much better to curb the hunger with alittle cottage cheese or a shake, then land up eating a gallon of icecream later that day.

muscleup
02-17-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm afraid of being "self destructive" in the opposite way from you guys. After bulking for 6months, it's hard for me to even shove 3k cals down per day. I don't even look at food the same way anymore. I basically just look at it as fuel now, and could care less how it tastes. I'd rather just eat the tuna plain than trying to mix something with it to make it taste "better". As long as I put down 2700-3k cals per day, I think my dislike for food right now might actually be good for my cut.
Never been big on sweets, so I can't comment much on that. I don't have cravings for that type of stuff.

DumbDude
02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
The "all or nothing" attitude is the downfall of a lot of people. You put so much pressure on yourself to be perfect that when you're not, you throw everything out the window. The first step is coming to terms with the fact that you will never have a perfect diet. Life gets in the way! But all is not lost. Most of us make great progress on diets that are less than perfect, but highly consistent.

So do yourself a favor. Allow yourself a treat now and then, as long as you stick to your plan most (ie, 80-90%) of the time.
what a great response. I know when I was losing weight ( 65 lbs) I screwed up alot! However, I never gave up and I eventually lost all that fat and stacked on 20 lbs of LBM. And guess what... my diet still isnt 100%.

seK
02-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Sometimes a little cheat is the only thing tha keeps me sane.

ddegroff
02-17-2006, 12:40 PM
So you skipped a meal, you didn't eat 300-500cals. A snickers is 200 some cals. As long as you stay within your cals you will still lose weight.

Now i'm done with the logic part... no one is perfect, you eat when your hungry thats life. Keep lifting hard eating right as often as you can. don't sweat the small stuff.

brickt.
02-17-2006, 03:22 PM
****, even I cannot be 100% perfect with my diet, and I have self-diagnosed OCD.

Don't sweat it. Fat loss isn't measured in a period of 24hrs. Think more along the lines of 30 days.