PDA

View Full Version : Phenylalanine

Slim Schaedle
01-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Ok, I'v read the nice little warning on diet drinks about Phenylalanine and how it can cause cancer in lab animals. Can lots of this be bad for humans, ...b/c I find myself drinking more diet coke lately (which i never used to do) and I use 4 packets of Equal on my oatmeal, b/c thats the only way i can stand eating it. Would 4 packets a day be too much Phenalanine or Aspartame?

TreeTrunks
01-12-2002, 05:42 PM
The reason it causes cancer in lab rats is b/c they are given water and equal packets there entire lives. I'm sure if that was all I was ever given to eat my entire life I would develop cancer too. Same with cell phones sure if I had a cell phone strapped to my head 24/7 for several years I might get cancer too. Occasional use will not sprout cancer. You have to really read into statistics, stats. are a bunch of BS!

Slim Schaedle
01-12-2002, 05:47 PM
good...thanks I can't stand plain oatmeal

TreeTrunks
01-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Can't stand plain oatmeal!?! What kind of a man are you? As arnold once said, "if it tastes bad, its good for you"

Slim Schaedle
01-12-2002, 05:50 PM
well, i eat my tuna plain alot, so i figue that equals things out

TreeTrunks
01-12-2002, 05:54 PM
I eat chicken, tuna, oatmeal, rice hell just about everything plain. Makes me really enjoy food with flavor.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 06:12 PM
it is an essential amino acid, so you're gonna have to consume some each day no matter what.

The problem with it is the build up of 'excess' levels of phenylalanine in the brain . These amounts can be lethal. And anyone who says that phenylalanine is only a problem for the folk with the genetic disorder meaning they can't metabolise the stuff properly [i forget the name] are wrong, cause it has been shown in 'healthy' humans.

A lot of the general public who drink 'diet' soft drinks with added phenylalanine to avoid the sugar of the normal stuff are usually no better off, cause phenylalanine causes a decrease in the brains seratonin levels and can lead to depression and thus, binge eating. Most women with the hormonal issues go for the chocolate for comfort (hey it works!)

TT is right in that it takes excessive amounts over time for the 'real' effects, but even short term excessve usage can lead to headaches and stuff. memory loss too.

Anyhoo, how many times a day do you eat oatmeal? how much in diet soft drinks a day? and how much phenylalanine is in equal?

4 packets of anything seems a bit 'excessive' for my liking. I know Tina is very anti-aspartame btw.

Slim Schaedle
01-12-2002, 06:18 PM
well, that migh explain the reason why ive been getting headches lately...which never really used to happen. I eat oatmeal once a day...but not much diet soda. Only if i need a little caffiene b/c i work 12 hour midnight shifts. Equal doesn't list the amount of Pheny.

flake
01-12-2002, 06:22 PM
*whispers* psst chicken, it's called phenylketonuria - a genetic deficiency of phenylalanine hydroxylase.

;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-12-2002, 06:25 PM
ah cheers man, that sounds familiar.

body
01-13-2002, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
it is an essential amino acid, so you're gonna have to consume some each day no matter what.

The problem with it is the build up of 'excess' levels of phenylalanine in the brain . These amounts can be lethal.
*****just to add to little of phenylanine can also cause brain damage. thats why its essentail.
Most natural protien sources contian 50mg of phenyl per gram of protein. *******

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-13-2002, 05:36 AM
You're right - it's a major constituent of brain tissue.

body
01-13-2002, 06:15 AM
at the end of the day most essential nutrients especially water and oxygen have toxicity levels - but without them in various quanities life would be very short.
becareful of reading article that say avoid this and that, as the original author may get misquoted, or the author may have wrote it for doctor treating this illness, so does not have to cover some of the other roles of the nutrient as they do not need to read the basics.
muscle supp often mis-use articles that were not designed to support their claims to increase there product sales, 99% of the people who read them will never check the reference or beable to understand the content of the journal if they read them.