PDA

View Full Version : Taking Glutes out of my Squat

ClubberLang
02-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi...

I have a overmuscular plump ass. I've been squatting for months and it's only gotten bigger.I have a feeling my squat form has been targetting my glutes pretty heavilly I'd Rather get my quad's and ham's heavilly involved. Does anyone have any tips for foot pacement, whether to push from toes or heels ect. that would focus more on my legs?

getfit
02-18-2006, 04:54 PM
i'm sorry, but the title of this thread made me LMAO

shansen008
02-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Narrower stance, or just do hack squats. Another option is to just go to parallel, but i dont think thats too great for the knees and wouldnt recommend it.

Meat_Head
02-18-2006, 04:56 PM
You're supposed to have an overmuscular ass, that's why its the biggest and strongest muscle in your body. Humans have evolved huge hip flexors for a reason, and whatever makes them bigger/stronger makes pretty much everything bigger/stronger.

That being said, what's your form like? For most people, olympic squats(shoulder width stance, bar placed high on the traps, squat ass to grass) hit the quads much more heavily. Usually wide stance powerlifting squats will hit your hamstrings much harder.

cosmicdebree88
02-18-2006, 05:22 PM
You're supposed to have an overmuscular ass, that's why its the biggest and strongest muscle in your body. Humans have evolved huge hip flexors for a reason, and whatever makes them bigger/stronger makes pretty much everything bigger/stronger.

That being said, what's your form like? For most people, olympic squats(shoulder width stance, bar placed high on the traps, squat ass to grass) hit the quads much more heavily. Usually wide stance powerlifting squats will hit your hamstrings much harder.

:withstupi Narrower deeper squats hit the quads harder and the hamstrings/glutes less. However, you're gonna have to use your glutes to some extent when you squat.

Optimum08
02-18-2006, 05:29 PM
women love the ghetto booty...it can never be too big...

KevinStarke
02-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Embrace your big ass man, I have a big ass too... provides me with a good arch when I bench!

Fenrir
02-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah when I come up from squats i pushed up with my bum, don't really think you can take it out completely, maybe just narrow your stance like others have been saying.

TOBART
02-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Why would you ever want a smaller, less muscular ass? I've done narrow stanced ATF olympic style squats from day one and my glutes and quads are definatly the dominant muscles in my legs.

BigRic
02-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Emmit Squats.

d'Anconia
02-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I want to see a picture from the OP.

I want to see a picture of the male ass that is 'too muscular'. (TwiloMike will probably have a field day with that one). I've been noticing my ass getting bigger since I've been lifting but I like the way it looks on me, especially with that arch in my back LOL

ClubberLang
02-18-2006, 08:32 PM

Are you asking for a picture of my ASS :whip:

:P

jk..

I am DEFINATELY NOT dropping my pants and taking a picture of my posterior. But this pic that my sisters snagged pretty much shows what's going on. Don't get me wrong. I love my big round ass. So do the ladies. I just want to keep it the way it isl.

Holto
02-18-2006, 08:33 PM
1) Reduce bodyfat

2) Frontsquats

AzBboy
02-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Eliminate lockout, if you are locking out. I never feel anything in my hams or glutes when I squat.

TwiloMike
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM

I want to see a picture of the male ass that is 'too muscular'. (TwiloMike will probably have a field day with that one). I've been noticing my ass getting bigger since I've been lifting but I like the way it looks on me, especially with that arch in my back LOL
Awww... thank you for thinking of me, Fab. That is a pretty big ass, but it looks more like a naturally big ass than an ass that's huge from squats. Some fat loss will reign it in. I wouldn't worry about it and keep squatting. If anything, more squats will give it more shape. Don't attempt to fit into high fashion pants, though....

Sensei
02-18-2006, 11:33 PM
1) Reduce bodyfat

2) Frontsquats
:withstupi

3)Clean your room

Alex.V
02-19-2006, 12:12 AM
and when you're done trying fifty different stances,

4) realize that mechanically speaking, there is absolutely nothing you can do to reduce the amount of work your glutes are doing (or reduce the load they're holding) in any type of squat.

So you can squat narrow, squat wide, front squat, back squat, wide squat, overhead squat, jump squat, or ****ing swiss ball squat, and your ass will grow the same.

Clifford Gillmore
02-19-2006, 12:17 AM
That is a pretty big ass, but it looks more like a naturally big ass than an ass that's huge from squats.

Natty ass eh? Just dropping some BF would be all you need to do if its your biggest concern.

MixmasterNash
02-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Eh, front and high squats don't have nearly the same ass enlarging effects as wide stance work. But they sure ain't making my fat ass any smaller.

Alex.V
02-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Eh, front and high squats don't have nearly the same ass enlarging effects as wide stance work.

Identical muscle engagement. Es'plain yerself.

MixmasterNash
02-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Identical muscle engagement. Es'plain yerself.

loads on front/oly squats are much lower than required for significant glute development (for me)

My ass, spinal erectors and hamstrings blew up a few years ago with PL-style squatting. Quads went nowhere, so now they're the limiting factor.

Fenrir
02-19-2006, 12:48 AM
most girls love guys to have an ass, i know my gf did, because most guys are flat...reduce bf, but you're still going to have the ass..

TwiloMike
02-19-2006, 08:59 AM
3)Clean your room
Seconded.

Alex.V
02-19-2006, 02:34 PM
loads on front/oly squats are much lower than required for significant glute development (for me)

My ass, spinal erectors and hamstrings blew up a few years ago with PL-style squatting. Quads went nowhere, so now they're the limiting factor.

Ah. Gotcha.

There ya go. Lift less weight.