PDA

View Full Version : Newbie about to start a bulk, Need help! (very Detialed inside)

murdoc52
02-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Alright well this coming monday @ 5am my life changes for the better (hopefully). I start going to a Gym for the very first time. Before I get started with some of my questions, let me just tell you my situation and why I want to start a bulk diet.

Since I was small, my midsection/Core has always been bigger than proportionate. When I weighed 160lbs I had small,skinny, weak arms and "chicken legs". So I decided to go on a diet this past september of 05'.Now I weigh 120lbs and I am 5'7 in height. I still have somewhat of a midsection, but of course still have them weak arms and skinny legs. I am ashamed by my arms and legs.I always feel like people are staring at my arms but hey, noone is perfect. So I decided to sign up for the Gym this monday and stop complaining and Do something about it.

I have read countless websites and forums before I started my adventure, but Wannabebig.com Is the most informational/Helpful website & Forums I have come across. Anyways, since I am a beginner (newb) when it comes to all this, seriously Im kind of overwhelmed at everything thats needed to succeed. But in the end, I know all the work pays off.

The funny thing Is, I don't really want to be huge, I just want to look great, feel great, Most importantly, be porportionate (I.E. My legs and arms to go with my "core"). I would like to get cut, and have great abs. An example of what I want to look like is this
http://tinyurl.com/aoq2y
Its Tyler Durden from fight club, Minus the Bruises, blood. I want a body similar to that. I know I am not asking for much when it comes to my goal, since I am skinny technically (120lbs). And, as you notice, I am not asking to look like Ronnie Colemen :D.

Since this is the Nutritional/Diet section what I am asking you guys is what should my Calorie intake be for this endeavor of mine? I see people eating 3k-4k calories a day, and I dont believe I can handle that.BUT! I'll do it, if thats what Is needed. Also, What are some good foods I can make. Or protein shakes, I really need some advice on all this. I want to be as perfect as I can when it comes to building my body.

I also know I will be gaining weight, I don't mind that. My family actually wants me to put on some pounds :D, since they miss the Chubby me! Aslong as I am building muscle in the process I am totally fine with this. Anyways, In the Body Lifting Section they recommend I do the WBB1 routine since I am a total beginner. So I will be doing that. "Built" told me to do Cardio a separate day or maybe some after the weight training. So I will be doing that, Since I trust yall's judgement.

My questions to you guys is this:
How much calories with a 18 yr old male of my stature, 5'7 - 120lbs be eating to bulk like that picture I posted?
Can you guys give me Home protein shakes you guys/gals make on your own?
Can you give me Combinations of foods/veggies you guys eat that gives a great number of calories?
How long would it take for me to start seeing/feeling results?
How long would it take to achieve my goal, if I stick to it?

Please be detialed as possible please, I am a newbie when it comes to all this, and I swear what you guys tell me will be like the bible for me, I will do it. If it gets me where I want to be. I am committed, I went from eating triple meat burgers from wendy's to Steamed vegetables practically overnight when I lost the 40 lbs in 6 months.

Also, to end off, Any other valuable information will be greatly appreciated for me reaching my goal.Whether it be extra workouts, tasks to do on the side, just let me know. I thank you all soo very much, in taking the time out to read my post here. I look forward to the replies!

Holto
02-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Well I'm not the one to be giving out bulking advice as I suck at it.

I will however mention that if you are just starting to train you can't do it wrong. If you just barely eat over maintenance ie: super slow bulk, you could actually lose some fat for the first few months. This would only be possible due to the newbie factor.

Love your enthusiasm.

murdoc52
02-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Question Holto: On the losing fat part, I dont want to lose Weight IE lbs, but Fat would be nice. I am saying this because I believe 120 is already low, are you implying that I would go even lower once I start? Or did you mean Lose body fat, but gain muscle mass?

Looking forward to all of your replies, about my situation :D

Holto
02-19-2006, 09:36 AM
In your unique situation you could actually lose some fat while gaining weight.

For this reason I recommend a slow bulk. Sure you could start a kitchen sink diet and gain a ton of lean mass but I suggest saving the big eating for when you hit a plateau 4-6 months after you start.

ddegroff
02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Cals per day I would say start around 3000, if you don't gain a few lbs then add more cals the next week.

There are so many different protein shakes out there that everyong is going to say something different. For me I like whey/carbs/creatine pre-workout. Thats really the only shake i drink on regular basis.

My diet is pretty simple, egg whites, oatmeal, turkey, chicken, tons of veggies. Eat all the veggies you can.

You'll feel somethin the second day. You will notice changes and imporvement quickly because you will be making "newbie" gains.

As far as reaching your goal, that all depends on you. You should set a goal that you can reach in a certain time limit. Then you do everything you can to reach that goal and you'll get there.

go to fitday.com and enter all your foods that you eat in a day. This will tell you (and us) how many carbs, fat, protein you're getting in a day.

TOBART
02-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Well, your head seems to be in the right place, you seem enthusiastic and it sounds like you want to do this properly.

Its hard to say exactly how many calories you will need to build muscle and keep fat gains to a minimum. I have a near identical build to that picture and I'm 5'7". The thing is, I have a fast metabolism so I have to take in 5000 calories a day to put on any weight at all.

Ok I'll give you my opinion to your questions.

How many calories?
I'd start at 3000, track it everyday on fitday for 2 weeks. Weigh yourself before and after the 2 weeks, if you gain more than 4 pounds in those 2 weeks, drop calories intake by 250-500cals. Repeat this until you're gaining 1-2 pounds per week.

Homemade Protein Shakes
milk, drink alone or you can blend it together with pasterized egg whites and some kind of low sugar flavouring.
This will be low in calories but high in protein, add olive oil if you want more calories.

High calories foods
I drink 3000 cals a day; all of which comes from weight gainer, milk, pasterized egg whites, olive oil
I really like making fries in the oven, take 2-4 potatos, cut into fries, put them on an olive oil covered baking sheet and throw in the oven for 40 minutes. Most delicious way to get a lot of fairly healthy calories.

Since you're a beginner, you're going to see and feel results within the first 2 months and other people might even notice. I started training at 5'7" 110lbs and 2.5 years later I'm 5'7" 155lbs if you can translate that to your goals somehow.