PDA

View Full Version : Help with my diet? Fitday posted, I'm still gaining!

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=ccarrigan

There it is. I've gone down some, but I think it was mostly water weight. I gained on the 17th by two or so, lost three on the 18th, and went right back up three today. Should it fluctuate like that? I'm used to it just going slowly down...

Thanks so much for your help, I've been reading and trying to follow the "what bodybuilders eat" and lifting heavy to keep the muscle.

You guys and gals are so great!

Craig

Built
02-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Okay - well, your fats and calories are FAR too low.

How long have you been dieting like this?

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 07:08 PM
I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now. Are you suggesting I eat more to lose weight? I always cringe at that! :)

I try and get in protein bars during the day to up my protein and calories because i'm always on the go. Is this what I need to do?

Built
02-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Protein bars are glorified candy bars. Don't eat them.

You are cutting on lower calories than I cut on, and I diet down to around 130 lbs.

???

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Gotcha. No more candy bars. My problem is that I'm not physically fit so I'm not sure if I should be "cutting". I always see cutting as something people do who are (sorry) built and want that to show. I'm afraid of what might show when I cut :-P

Any suggestions? Should I continue to cut with higher calories? Maybe around 2400? It's really hard to get up that high, I'm not sure how you do it!

Built
02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Okay, I'm confused.

All cutting means to a BB is dropping as much fat and as little muscle as possible.

I assumed you were lifting.

Are you not lifting weights?

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Yes, I do lift weights three times a week. I just have not for very long nor am I muscular by any means. But to answer, I do lift weights and do high weight low reps.

Built
02-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Okay good.

Well, what are your maintenance calories?

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm 5'10" or so, 223 pounds, 24 years old. My calc says 2800 as maintenance or so.

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 07:26 PM
I also try to eat more on workout days than on non workout days if that's what I'm supposed to do, and drink protein shakes post workout.

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 07:29 PM
And I'm medium to large framed and have poor metabolism. I'm a fast gainer.

(just trying to think of everything!)

Built
02-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Okay, well, if your maint cals are 2800, then your dieting cals shouldn't go lower than about 2250 (20% reduction in calories), at least initially.

I'm not sure what your bodyfat is like, but assuming you have at least 160 lbs of LBM, you need at least 160g protein and at least 80g fat daily.

If you wanted to try carb cycling like I do, based on three lifting days a week, you could try this if you like:
LBM = 167.25 lbs (I'm assuming 25% bodyfat. It's just a guess)
Maintenance calories: 2800 per day.
A caloric deficit of 3920 calories per week,
for a loss of of 1.12 pounds per week

Average daily macros:
194g of protein,
98g of fat, and
146g of carbohydrate,
2,240 calories in total.

Lifting/HIIT days:
217g of protein,
84g of fat, and
202g of carbohydrate,
2,432 calories in total.

Rest/SS Cardio days:
176g of protein,
109g of fat, and
104g of carbohydrate,
2,096 calories in total.

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Wow, that's awesome! You truly are a goddess :) I'm printing that right now!

Is any higher than 1.12 pounds per week realistic, or should I just stick with that? I was simply hoping to get closer to two, but then I also hope to sprout wings and fly and that's not happening either ;) You can just tell me I'm an idiot and to not question you, I can deal with that :)

Built
02-19-2006, 07:44 PM
A pound a week on a conventional diet is a good rate. If you want faster, I'd suggest PSMF or something similar. My feeling is that if you drop too much faster than this, you're going to risk too much muscle loss.

VERY over-fat people CAN often lose faster than a pound a week, but you need a more structured (and extreme) diet plan for that, and it ain't comfortable.

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Is it not comfortable because of all of the protein? I just read a bit on the PSMF and it doesn't sound like a whole bunch of fun, plus I'd like to keep this muscle. Whatever I have gained I'd like to keep. Do you think it's possible to increase weights through this cut, or should I just try to maintain my current weight limits?

Built
02-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Always try to increase the weights.

Good luck!

ccarrigan
02-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks!

Utopianhopes
02-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Is it not comfortable because of all of the protein? I just read a bit on the PSMF and it doesn't sound like a whole bunch of fun, plus I'd like to keep this muscle. Whatever I have gained I'd like to keep. Do you think it's possible to increase weights through this cut, or should I just try to maintain my current weight limits?

If you plan to lose fat you’re going to lose weight. Only way to maintain would be recomposition (very long process).

Stick to the flexible diet built gave you. Flexible diet have many benefits for a newbie. Learn the basics before trying to do something more advances. If you still feel like trying psmf then make sure to read the book (can harm yourself).

Edit: You guys are extremely fast

ShockBoxer
02-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Your weight will bounce around a lot. Don't let it bug you much. Over three weeks my weight has bounced around between 161.5 and 164, hitting everything in between at random on a 1900 cal cut (maint 2400). I'm looking more defined than I ever have, though. Recomposition happens. Only worry if you consistantly start gaining a pound a week when you're supposed to be losing.

brickt.
02-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Thread HiJack:

For someone that isn't overly fat, is there a way to do a short psmf without losing muscle? Would you just bump the calories more? Not thinking of doing it myself, just curious. Maybe I should ask at McDonald's board, but I'm sure I'll get flamed to the seventh circle of hell.