PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Coke Zero pwns!

ElPietro
02-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, it was that time of the month for me to go grocery shopping.

Other than waterbottles and a half cup of milk left in the fridge I had nothing to drink.

Was getting somewhat tired of the after taste and dry gummy mouth that diet coke was leaving, so I thought I'd try variations of their diet products.

So I picked up a 12 pack of Diet Coke with lime, and Coke Zero.

The lime one wasn't too bad at all, less of the diet pop taste problems than most have.

But HOLY ****ING ****! Coke zero to me is a complete godsend. Other than not being quite as syrupy, this stuff tastes almost exactly like regular coke. NO aftertaste, and no dry or gummy mouth. It still uses aspartame and another sweetener, however, I don't notice this at all.

Just thought I'd put this out there in case someone was looking for another diet drink to use.

I use crystal light as well, but find it can get messy.

Oh and if you are going to come in here saying how bad aspartame is, please don't. Instead, stfu, and do some reading. And when you leave the mindless army of yesman lemmings following the coat tails of the sugar industry, then you can post again. :)

Same goes for those that exclaim, OMG soda killz!

Enjoy, or not, just thought I'd endorse it.

I may actually change my mind and setup my previously planned, then cancelled dividend reinvestment program with good ole KO. :)

MJS
02-20-2006, 09:29 AM
What a long post. I think it could have been summed up just by: "Coke Zero is the best Coca Cola substitute out on the market so far, in my opinion. What do you guys think?" But hey, I post ridiculously long posts when I am bored as well...

As for Coke Zero, it is good, but I have to have a regular coke once in a while.

ElPietro
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Sorry I didn't come out with the cliff notes version for those on the board with ADD...

MJS
02-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Lol.

MJS
02-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Funny part is I wasted 2 minutes of my life reading the entirety of the post...

djreef
02-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Sounds like I might have a new JD mixer for the weekend.

DJ

Anthony
02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Pete is the type of guy who orders 3 tacos, 2 gorditas, 2 chalupas, 1 burrito, 1 nachos bellgrande, and .........

a diet coke!

Holto
02-20-2006, 10:58 AM
God why can't they just make one with splenda.

Aspartame gives me headaches.

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
I stay away from artificial sweetners. On a side note, aspartame scares me and splenda scares me even more. Splenda is made using chlorine. I might just be a hypo :) water with a splash of grape juice for me :)

djreef
02-20-2006, 11:41 AM
mmmmmmm........Yea barkeep, I'll take a clorox and coke, please.

DJ

ElPietro
02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm sure you've accidentally consumed more chlorine through pool water, than the sum of your lifetime consumption of artificial sweeteners.

Surprisingly we are not dead, nor is average life expectancy dramatically reduced.

MixmasterNash
02-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Coke Zero is Euro-Diet Coke, aka Coke Light.

Paul Stagg
02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
That is incorrect.

ReelBigFish
02-20-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm sure you've accidentally consumed more chlorine through pool water, than the sum of your lifetime consumption of artificial sweeteners.

Surprisingly we are not dead, nor is average life expectancy dramatically reduced.

or in salt. Sodium CHLORIDE. it's not even the complete molecule, just part of it, in Splenda, that is.

MixmasterNash
02-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Geez, what would you know?

But how is Zero different? It's not the same formula, sweetened with aspartame and acesulfame potassium? Anyway, it appears to be more similar to Coke Light than Diet Coke.

Unreal
02-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Coke with splenda has been available here for awhile. Is not available in other parts of the country? Its by far my favorite when it comes to diet sodas. The diet rite line of sodas also uses splenda.

Paul Stagg
02-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I know a little.

Not the same formula.

MixmasterNash
02-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I know a little.

Not the same formula.

I knew it! You guys are adding cocaine again!!!!

time2grown06
02-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Best thing to do is mix the coke zero and coke together. It spreads out the sugar a little bit.

brickt.
02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
^^?

I drink coke zero because it has no sugar. Normal soft drink is the devil.

That being said, coke zero is awesome. Sprite zero is even better.

I use lots of artificial sweetener and I'm not dead. Drink your chemically altered coke.

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 03:14 PM

Surprisingly we are not dead, nor is average life expectancy dramatically reduced.Bet you are wrong! hah i never ever put pool water in my mouth, or drink city water, and i am getting a filter for my shower. Today you never know what does what with the life expectancy...i have had 3 friends die of cancer. Drink all the artificial stuff you want but not me. Better safe than sorry. Here are some links... the 2nd one seems better than the 1st. They might be right and they might be wrong but im not gona risk it :)
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/100.html
http://www.splendaexposed.com/articles/2005/02/chemical_toxici.html
http://www.splendaexposed.com/articles/chlorine/index.html

ElPietro
02-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Bet you are wrong! hah i never ever put pool water in my mouth, or drink city water, and i am getting a filter for my shower. Today you never know what does what with the life expectancy...i have had 3 friends die of cancer. Drink all the artificial stuff you want but not me. Better safe than sorry. Here are some links... the 2nd one seems better than the 1st. They might be right and they might be wrong but im not gona risk it :)
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/100.html
http://www.splendaexposed.com/articles/2005/02/chemical_toxici.html
http://www.splendaexposed.com/articles/chlorine/index.html

I am not going to click on these links that prey on ignorance. I'd bet it's all funded by the sugar industry, just like all the voodoo tests so many people buy into because they lack the ability to critically think.

As for the rest of your statements, lol, if you want to live in a bubble that's your choice. Enjoy living potentially 6-8 months longer with a much lower quality of life. Or...perhaps die many years earlier because your body isn't as well adapted to fight off infections and other such things that the rest of us are subjected to.

I always lmao at the doom and gloom sayers of society, that base their entire lifes habits on statements that always begin with, "may or may not lead to..."

I prefer to examine facts, and trust in science, not voodoo, and like to examine what I read and come to my own conclusions, instead of being spoon-fed what to think, and how to act for the entire duration of my life.

But that's just me. :)

Shao-LiN
02-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Coke Zero or Diet Pepsi (or Diet Pepsi Twist)....best ever. Haven't drank regular soda in awhile.

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 05:31 PM
I am not going to click on these links that prey on ignorance. I'd bet it's all funded by the sugar industry, just like all the voodoo tests so many people buy into because they lack the ability to critically think.

As for the rest of your statements, lol, if you want to live in a bubble that's your choice. Enjoy living potentially 6-8 months longer with a much lower quality of life. Or...perhaps die many years earlier because your body isn't as well adapted to fight off infections and other such things that the rest of us are subjected to.

I always lmao at the doom and gloom sayers of society, that base their entire lifes habits on statements that always begin with, "may or may not lead to..."

I prefer to examine facts, and trust in science, not voodoo, and like to examine what I read and come to my own conclusions, instead of being spoon-fed what to think, and how to act for the entire duration of my life.

But that's just me. :)
Yeah haha... you are so closed minded that you cant even click a link and read another side of a story.... yeah and I am living in a bubble. I agree most "dot com's" are money hungry. However, peer reviewed medical literature using MEDLINE.... is hardly just silly claims. And if you want to be one of the guys that lets the FDA ect... make all the decisions about his life, go for it.

Paul Stagg
02-20-2006, 06:12 PM
So you think the soft drink industry had a grand strategy to kill off all of their consumers?

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 06:47 PM
So you think the soft drink industry had a grand strategy to kill off all of their consumers?
haha no. I believe profit drives every major industry. And giving you a tasty cup of chemicals is what they have done.

Shao-LiN
02-20-2006, 06:48 PM
MMm mmm chemicals. They're in everything these days.

Paul Stagg
02-20-2006, 07:11 PM
haha no. I believe profit drives every major industry. And giving you a tasty cup of chemicals is what they have done.

I see. And the road to profitability is via the death of the consumers. No consumers, huge profits.

It's the underpants knomes business model.

f=ma
02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
sounds like tobacco's market

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I see. And the road to profitability is via the death of the consumers. No consumers, huge profits.

It's the underpants knomes business model.
Yeah and we all know tobacco dosnt make any money. As my friend says, "people dont understand, there is a reason that 80 years ago 1% of people died from cancer, and now 30% of people do... same with heart disease, 80 years ago like 5 died of heart disease, and now 30% will as well.....industrial pollution, food toxins, and fatassness are the reasons."

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 08:06 PM
lets see... if we have to change the entire way we make all our products because we did a lab study... (this did happen) in which all the rats were given high aspartame dosages and they all developed pituitary tumors. OR, we just let people die a few years younger. Which one do you think the food industry is going to choose? Here is yet another study. FROM WEBMD... Yeah not "the sugar company."
http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/115/111805.htm?pagenumber=2
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/115/111805?src=RSS_PUBLIC

Shao-LiN
02-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Well, if you want to get technical. They gave the rats super high doses of aspartame...haven't read the studies in awhile (and am too lazy to right now), but we'd have to consume quite a bit to compare to what they gave the rats.

And secondly...they're rats.

I'm not saying aspartame is or isn't bad, but you have to keep a perspective on studies based on rats. They may infer what could happen to us, but it is not definitive. There are plenty of things tested on rats that have shown either negative or positive side effects that aren't emulated in humans.

Phelon
02-20-2006, 10:19 PM
seems good if your body is craving some sort of soda :-). I'll pick me up some! Thanks

dissipate
02-20-2006, 10:55 PM
That being said, coke zero is awesome. Sprite zero is even better.
heh agreed. i tried sprite zero for the first time last week and was amazed. checked the bottle to see if i accidentally bought full-sugar sprite.

brickt.
02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Now, when they come out with Cheesecake Zero, Meatlovers Pizza Zero, and Bigass Steak Burger Zero, I'll be a happy man.

ElPietro
02-21-2006, 07:08 AM
lets see... if we have to change the entire way we make all our products because we did a lab study... (this did happen) in which all the rats were given high aspartame dosages and they all developed pituitary tumors. OR, we just let people die a few years younger. Which one do you think the food industry is going to choose? Here is yet another study. FROM WEBMD... Yeah not "the sugar company."
http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/115/111805.htm?pagenumber=2
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/115/111805?src=RSS_PUBLIC

You have just confirmed what I suspected all along. A lack of comprehension of what you are saying, which only makes you disprove yourself with the links you post, that I'm guessing you haven't read, and if you did, grasped very little or nothing it said.

Both your links tout the same study, and both of the articles posted on WEBMD (not the sugar industry) claims how flawed the research is, and that all cancer based elements would develop naturally throughout their lifetime. Letting the rats live their full life without early termination means that age is the primary factor, not aspartame. **** it coulda been what they fed them.

Again, if you are going to post links, read them first. And if you read them, try and understand at least the basic premise before you post them. Otherwise, you run the risk of looking really foolish, as this case clearly illustrates.

There, now that I've re-opened my mind to your useless info preying on the ignorant, you can either learn something from this, or continue firing blanks. Can do this all day if you want. I'm sure there are tons more websites starting with www.aspartameisevil... that you can fish for more bad science.

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 08:58 AM
You have just confirmed what I suspected all along. A lack of comprehension of what you are saying, which only makes you disprove yourself with the links you post, that I'm guessing you haven't read, and if you did, grasped very little or nothing it said.

Both your links tout the same study, and both of the articles posted on WEBMD (not the sugar industry) claims how flawed the research is, and that all cancer based elements would develop naturally throughout their lifetime. Letting the rats live their full life without early termination means that age is the primary factor, not aspartame. **** it coulda been what they fed them.

Again, if you are going to post links, read them first. And if you read them, try and understand at least the basic premise before you post them. Otherwise, you run the risk of looking really foolish, as this case clearly illustrates.

There, now that I've re-opened my mind to your useless info preying on the ignorant, you can either learn something from this, or continue firing blanks. Can do this all day if you want. I'm sure there are tons more websites starting with www.aspartameisevil... that you can fish for more bad science.
This coming from the guy that said "I am not even going to read those links you posted" ha ha no wonder you have like 15thousand posts... you click on something then say ... "nah not good enough to waste time on." My point is that there is controversy whether you like it or not. I know you just love your diet drinks and want to believe only the good stuff out there. However, you need to get a grip man! There are tons of things that are bad for you in this world that we donít even know about yet. I like how you skip all the good points all the articles made and just try to dismiss them based on one thing. Got to love the people that are too scared to even investigate other sides to a story. NaÔve and immature are the best ways to describe your remarks.

2nd Ö look at who said what in the article
"Rats, like people, develop a wide range of cancers in old age, and establishing whether there is a cause-and-effect relationship (at an age when cancers are common) is not possible," says Joe Poulos, a spokesman for Merisant, the company that makes the aspartame sweetener Equal. Well ill be damned if he doesnít have a conflict of interest.

Good point:
Researchers in Italy concluded that rats exposed to varying doses of aspartame throughout their lives developed leukemias, lymphomas, and several other cancers in a dose-dependent manner. Ok so what if they are wrong because they didnít follow the rules some organization set up... but what if they are right.

In closing, why would the U.S government advertise a "Safe amount" of aspartame that Americans can have? That must mean there is an unsafe amount. Simply logical. If you ever went to college you may have taken a class on this called, CRITCAL AND CREATIVE THINKING. I would have given you an F.

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Well, if you want to get technical. They gave the rats super high doses of aspartame...haven't read the studies in awhile (and am too lazy to right now), but we'd have to consume quite a bit to compare to what they gave the rats.

And secondly...they're rats.

I'm not saying aspartame is or isn't bad, but you have to keep a perspective on studies based on rats. They may infer what could happen to us, but it is not definitive. There are plenty of things tested on rats that have shown either negative or positive side effects that aren't emulated in humans.This is what one side of the article argues about that issue. The other side says this research is crap. You can be the judge.

"They report that the product is a potential cancer-causing agent to humans even at levels that are less than half of what is considered safe by the U.S. government."

ArchAngel777
02-21-2006, 09:12 AM
If you have been drinking Diet Coke then Coke Zero will taste like regular Coke. But if you have been drinking regular Coke, then Coke Zero will taste like Diet Coke. Confirmed by a little study I have done (with people at work and friends).

Since I used to be a hardcore Coke drinker when I seen the comercial for Coke Zero (Tastes like real coke crap!) I hopped on it. Only to have one can and throw the rest away, because it was worthless.

I give it a thumbs down.

FYI - Soda free for 3.5 months... :D

ElPietro
02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
My point is that there is controversy whether you like it or not.

No, the only controversy is created by idiots that buy into pseudo-science.

I do not live my life based on fallacy or false claims. I'm sure you are also a member of the flat earth society, so go figure.

I know you just love your diet drinks and want to believe only the good stuff out there. However, you need to get a grip man! There are tons of things that are bad for you in this world that we don’t even know about yet.

Again, plain ignorance. I do not only believe in the good stuff. In fact, I look rather diligently for the bad stuff. The difference between you and I, is that I am not going to play the role of a lemming that believes everything he reads, or popular opinion. If it can be proven or even shown that there is a likely link between things, then I might take heed. All the links you've posted, are about as valid as a muscletech claim.

I like how you skip all the good points all the articles made and just try to dismiss them based on one thing. Got to love the people that are too scared to even investigate other sides to a story.

Again, since it's funny that all your arguments can be turned against you. I guess the point that conclusions based on flawed research, and false assumptions are not valid is lost on you. I find it funny that you say "too scared to investigate..." I would argue you are too scared to think for yourself, or take some time to learn about what you actually read. You are the typicall doom and gloom guy, that doesn't think, and just plasters tons of links thinking that validates what you say.

2nd … look at who said what in the article
"Rats, like people, develop a wide range of cancers in old age, and establishing whether there is a cause-and-effect relationship (at an age when cancers are common) is not possible," says Joe Poulos, a spokesman for Merisant, the company that makes the aspartame sweetener Equal. Well ill be damned if he doesn’t have a conflict of interest.

Hey! You finally are getting it. You looked at the info, and the source and at least came up with some idea of how things can be misconstrued. Unfortunately, you also have to look at the info and validate or invalidate it. Is his statement correct or not? Would you disagree that in old age cancer can and does develop more frequently, and for a variety of reasons? Seems reasonable to me.

Final point. Think for yourself. Examine everything you are told. Otherwise, you will become the majority, which is all the idiots that run around like chickens with their heads cut off, because magazine articles, or bad studies, that really say one thing, but get misinterpreted to slant things another way.

If you choose not to drink diet pop that's fine, but if you are going to make such a passionate stance, do it on a foundation of critical thought, not ignorance and simply plastering links that you and most others haven't read or just can't understand.

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
They may infer what could happen to us, but it is not definitive. There are plenty of things tested on rats that have shown either negative or positive side effects that aren't emulated in humans. Great point, open minded, everything a good post should be.

ElPietro
02-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Oh and thread is locking now. Off topic, and just saying the same **** over and over again. If ppl refuse to learn, I am not going to waste anymore time trying to hammer the concept of critical thought into them.

Thank you for tuning in. :)

ElPietro
02-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Actually, decided to open this up. I'm sure others can also chime in with their thoughts as well. Hell, maybe one of these years, there actually will be a concrete study showing how bad aspartame is. So far, in all the years and discussions i've read on this subject, not a single one has surfaced.

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Actually, decided to open this up. I'm sure others can also chime in with their thoughts as well. Hell, maybe one of these years, there actually will be a concrete study showing how bad aspartame is. So far, in all the years and discussions i've read on this subject, not a single one has surfaced.Hah ok awsome! Thats all I am trying to say. Yes, the studies I posted all have a counter argument that you can choose to agree with or not. ( we all know your stance ) Yes I too believe that one day there may be concrete evidence that aspartame is Bad OR Good. Untill then I choose to stay away. Good arguments are what this site is all about. ( of course you dont think mine was ) Anyway I want to hear what others think about this.

ElPietro
02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Cool. :cool:

Utopianhopes
02-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Living in a day in age that it seems everything can kill you. I would wager a person who was to walk outside the door steps of their house would be considered a risk in itself. I don’t know how long diet coke been around, but I have yet to hear about anyone dieing from consuming too much aspartame. You choose the life you want, but I figure a life in fear and taking no chances is a life not worth living.

I reserve the right to change my opinion in case ElPietro reports to have cancer tomorrow from years of overdosing on diet coke.

ElPietro
02-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Funny thing is, I barely drink pop, including diet pop. But if I do stock it at home, I have decided to buy coke zero. I find it amusing that people now have some image of me drinking a case a day or something.

I might have 5 or 6 cans in an entire week. Just find it easier to monitor daily calories easier (when I do) if I am not having to account for so many cals from fluids as well as whole foods.

Jump to Conclusions Mats go on sale later this week dudes! :p

Titanium_Jim
02-21-2006, 10:10 AM
This coming from the guy that said "I am not even going to read those links you posted" ha ha no wonder you have like 15thousand posts... you click on something then say ... "nah not good enough to waste time on." My point is that there is controversy whether you like it or not. I know you just love your diet drinks and want to believe only the good stuff out there. However, you need to get a grip man! There are tons of things that are bad for you in this world that we don’t even know about yet. I like how you skip all the good points all the articles made and just try to dismiss them based on one thing. Got to love the people that are too scared to even investigate other sides to a story. Naïve and immature are the best ways to describe your remarks.
In his first post, he described EXACTLY what he did not want posted in here, which was EXACTLY what you did. Despite this, he read through both your links, made a more than valid point, and reiterated his original disposition on the issue. I agree completely with what he said, and for the FDA to approve of aspartame, they had to have done enough studies to prove that it is not any more likely to cause cancer than (as it says in your link) tomato juice.

2nd … look at who said what in the article
"Rats, like people, develop a wide range of cancers in old age, and establishing whether there is a cause-and-effect relationship (at an age when cancers are common) is not possible," says Joe Poulos, a spokesman for Merisant, the company that makes the aspartame sweetener Equal. Well ill be damned if he doesn’t have a conflict of interest.
Conflict of interest or no, what he said is still true. And as EP sstated, the fact that they let the rats die of natural causes pretty much negates the entire study.

Good point:
Researchers in Italy concluded that rats exposed to varying doses of aspartame throughout their lives developed leukemias, lymphomas, and several other cancers in a dose-dependent manner. Ok so what if they are wrong because they didn’t follow the rules some organization set up... but what if they are right.
Again, a rat is a tiny fraction of the weight/size of a person. A high dose of anything to a rat is a dose beyond reason to a human.

In closing, why would the U.S government advertise a "Safe amount" of aspartame that Americans can have? That must mean there is an unsafe amount. Simply logical. If you ever went to college you may have taken a class on this called, CRITCAL AND CREATIVE THINKING. I would have given you an F.
There is also a "safe" amount of Vitamin A that you are not supposed to exceed every day, and it is the first lettered VITAL MINERAL. Does that make it bad for you? No. In fact, it is ESSENTIAL in the right amount. Don't worry about what other people are putting in their bodies, especially if the first thing they say about it is how they don't want to hear "Oh, but that's so bad for you." Let him stick to his diet crap, you stick to your syrupy crap or whatever you drnk, and to each his own.

*Edit: I started typing in here, got swamped with phone calls at work, and it took me an hour to get back and finish this. EP, you already not only beat me to it, but came up with a better response as well.

ArchAngel777
02-21-2006, 10:13 AM
In his first post, he described EXACTLY what he did not want posted in here, which was EXACTLY what you did. Despite this, he read through both your links, made a more than valid point, and reiterated his original disposition on the issue. I agree completely with what he said, and for the FDA to approve of aspartame, they had to have done enough studies to prove that it is not any more likely to cause cancer than (as it says in your link) tomato juice.

Conflict of interest or no, what he said is still true. And as EP sstated, the fact that they let the rats die of natural causes pretty much negates the entire study.

Again, a rat is a tiny fraction of the weight/size of a person. A high dose of anything to a rat is a dose beyond reason to a human.

I am glad you are only 21 and have time to grow and learn, but at the same time I hope you never become a professor.
There is also a "safe" amount of Vitamin A that you are not supposed to exceed every day, and it is the first lettered VITAL MINERAL. Does that make it bad for you? No. In fact, it is ESSENTIAL in the right amount. Don't worry about what other people are putting in their bodies, especially if the first thing they say about it is how they don't want to hear "Oh, but that's so bad for you." Let him stick to his diet crap, you stick to your syrupy crap or whatever you drnk, and to each his own.

Such hate!!! Just kidding... But wouldn't you both agree that it would be better to replace both sugar & artificial sweeteners with water? Personally, if you drink Diet or regular soda, I am fine with that, but the truth is neither of them are "good" for you...

Titanium_Jim
02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
I actually drink less than 1 can of soda a week (I MIGHT have a pibb or something when I eat out sometimes). The last words of my post sum it up. To each his own. I don't yell at smokers or druggies and tell them they're hurting their bodies. I could understand if there was concrete evidence that wasn't widely known, or if EP didn't know better, but the fact that in the very first post he said he didn't want to hear that kind of thing is reason I responded the way I did. I also thought it was ridiculous for EP to called naive or immature for what he said.

ArchAngel777
02-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Jump to Conclusions Mats go on sale later this week dudes! :p

Ahhhh, I can't wait... I have mine on pre-order. LOL

Vapour Trails
02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
I also love coke zero, best diet drink by far!

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Such hate!!! Just kidding... But wouldn't you both agree that it would be better to replace both sugar & artificial sweeteners with water? Personally, if you drink Diet or regular soda, I am fine with that, but the truth is neither of them are "good" for you...
Water is all I drink now. However, like most people I have the a diet soda and sometimes a sugar soda. I was just advocating that people should think twice before downing a 6 pack of diet drinks a day.

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Living in a day in age that it seems everything can kill you. I would wager a person who was to walk outside the door steps of their house would be considered a risk in itself. I donít know how long diet coke been around, but I have yet to hear about anyone dieing from consuming too much aspartame. You choose the life you want, but I figure a life in fear and taking no chances is a life not worth living.

I reserve the right to change my opinion in case ElPietro reports to have cancer tomorrow from years of overdosing on diet coke. Thereís a difference between taking smart chances and dumb ones :) But I am not interested in getting into a whole life philosophy :alcoholic . You do have a point though there is only a chance that aspartame is bad for you. I totally respect the fact that you donít care until its a black and white issue. Just not the way I am.

Haha ok, opinion change option noted.:D

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
In his first post, he described EXACTLY what he did not want posted in here

*Edit: I started typing in here, got swamped with phone calls at work, and it took me an hour to get back and finish this. EP, you already not only beat me to it, but came up with a better response as well.
1) I posted some links from WEBMD which offers both sides of the story, in my 2nd post.
2)You cant know that rats do not compare to humans. However, I cant know that they do. You also dont know how much aspartame they were given.
3)Vitamin A is a very different case. We know why they say not to get too much vitamin A. One reason is it associated with an increased risk of bone fracture. Now if I knew why the FDA was putting a limit on aspartame intake...that would make me feel better.

Utopianhopes
02-21-2006, 11:46 AM
So I picked up a 12 pack of Diet Coke with lime, and Coke Zero.

The lime one wasn't too bad at all, less of the diet pop taste problems than most have.

But HOLY ****ING ****! Coke zero to me is a complete godsend. Other than not being quite as syrupy, this stuff tastes almost exactly like regular coke. NO aftertaste, and no dry or gummy mouth. It still uses aspartame and another sweetener, however, I don't notice this at all.

While at the grocery store today I decided to try Coca-Cola Zero after hearing all the heated debate on it and you got a point. Coca-Cola Zero taste awesome! Add it to the list of guilty pleasures.

ElPietro
02-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Lol, yes, that was the point of this thread.

Over the years I've tried many things, from low cal products, to low carb products. Many of them sucked. Some were "ok." A very select few I have been very pleasantly surprised with, so thought I'd let people know in case they weren't aware of it. I sure wasn't.

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Guess i should try some... :)

jAy_Dub
02-21-2006, 01:43 PM
I also had to go find out what the deal was with this "zero" stuff. I got the diet sprite zero and its great, I can barely tell any difference at all. If only they made mt. dew zero :thumbup:

seK
02-21-2006, 01:45 PM
I also had to go find out what the deal was with this "zero" stuff. I got the diet sprite zero and its great, I can barely tell any difference at all. If only they made mt. dew zero :thumbup:
I am waiting on Keith's or Coor's Light 0 :(

DumbDude
02-21-2006, 01:49 PM
I just found this online. Really strong evidence that aspartame isnt bad for you. From the FDA, http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1999/699_sugar.html

galileo
02-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Pete is the type of guy who orders 3 tacos, 2 gorditas, 2 chalupas, 1 burrito, 1 nachos bellgrande, and .........

a diet coke!

Taco Bell is a Pepsi company.

I order 2 chicken quesadillas, 1 grilled stuft burrito, and 1 chicken baja chalupa. Mmmmmm.

ElPietro
02-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Grilled chicken burritos have been one of the best things you can buy at a fast food place over the years.

Having said that, it is currently inconvenient for me to get to a TB regularly, so I find that I have severely limited my intake. Maybe once a month if I'm lucky. :(

DoUgL@S
02-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Water is all I drink now. However, like most people I have the a diet soda and sometimes a sugar soda. I was just advocating that people should think twice before downing a 6 pack of diet drinks a day.

FYI. H2O is a chemical.

2)You cant know that rats do not compare to humans. However, I cant know that they do. You also dont know how much aspartame they were given.

Just so you know it is pretty well known in the scientific community that studies done in animals, from mice to monkeys, usually do not translate into human beings. This is the reason that a lot of potential treatments that show promise in animals fail miserably in humans.

Maki Riddington
02-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm one of those guys that think artificial sweetners can't be that good for you. I posted a while back about the experience my dad had with Aspartame.

Roark
02-21-2006, 04:53 PM
coke zero tastes much better than other diet drinks

d'Anconia
02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Wow quite a nice thread here. I'm surprised (well not really) that you guys can even get worked up about soda. The only soda I ever drink is root beer and I only have that once a month or so. Sorry but soda doesn't quench my thirst very well.

Anyway we all know technically we can never be sure about scientific studies. After all, we were told fluoride is great for one's health and then later found out that it also had negative effects on one's health. We were also told that marijuana and cocaine was horrible for one's health. And they also told us alcohol works against muscular hypetrophy.

Okay well I don't know about that last one but you've gotta admit it's funny when us people living in the 'Information Age' have to hesitate to trust our information.

Shao-LiN
02-21-2006, 08:56 PM

I don't think anyone is kidding themselves into thinking that soda in any form is "good" for you. What people are trying to establish is whether or not it is detrimental to your health. I drink water, but sometimes you just have to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Beast
02-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I like those Fresca drinks. The dark cherry one is great.

Diet sodas are a staple for me when dieting down... the carbonation never fails to make me feel full.

DoUgL@S
02-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Wow quite a nice thread here. I'm surprised (well not really) that you guys can even get worked up about soda. The only soda I ever drink is root beer and I only have that once a month or so. Sorry but soda doesn't quench my thirst very well.

Anyway we all know technically we can never be sure about scientific studies. After all, we were told fluoride is great for one's health and then later found out that it also had negative effects on one's health. We were also told that marijuana and cocaine was horrible for one's health. And they also told us alcohol works against muscular hypetrophy.

Okay well I don't know about that last one but you've gotta admit it's funny when us people living in the 'Information Age' have to hesitate to trust our information.

The studies that you refer to are the ones that you see in the news that have been interpreted for you to get your attention. For example, "Text messaging can be detrimental to your health," was a headline today. Why, because your thumbs may suffer damage and/or pain from repetetive motion. This does not take into account that if you had a more ergonomic phone to facilitate text messaging this would not be an issue.

If you want to know the truth behind these studies you need to read, evaluate the scientific merit, analyse the data at hand and come to your own conclusions.

heathj
02-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, cigarette companies do.

diet 7up is the best diet drink.

PoutineEh
02-22-2006, 05:40 PM
diet A&W
diet Dr. Pepper (along with diet cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper)

if you did the "pepsi challenge" with these two drinks and their regular versions, i wouldnt be able to tell the difference. both are amazing. first diet drinks to truly get it right