PDA

View Full Version : Is eating at night a big factor in gaining weight?

theVict1m
02-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Topic says it all. Is it? I usually just eat something small right before I got to bed, but I'm thinking about eating a huge meal right before I go to sleep to get bigger. I constantly hear people saying "just eat after 8 pm and you'll gain quick!" Are these people right or just really ignorant of the facts?

Another one I hear a lot is about drinking slim fast with every meal to gain weight. I guess they figure slim fast is a meal in a can plus you're eating food with it...two birds with one stone. Is that true?

Unreal
02-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Eat more then maintence in a 24 hour period, and you will gain. Simple as that. As long as you get enough calories you'll put on weight. This has been covered to death. Tons of people here eat their biggest meal before bed, several people chug down a shake if they wake up at night. If I wake up and can afford the calories I'll take in a shake.

AzBboy
02-20-2006, 10:32 AM
You need a big serving of slow digest protein the second before your head touches that pillow. Remember, you grow while you sleep, so give your body the protein it needs to help you recover overnight. I eat some carbs and fat w/ it, carbs to prevent protein from being used as energy, fat to slow digestion, and like unreal said, everynight when you wake up to go wee wee, down a premade shake.

theVict1m
02-21-2006, 03:37 PM
I see. What about drinking Slim Fast with meals? It does make sense because Slim Fast is packed with calories and nutrients PLUS you're eating a good hefty meal with it.

eatit
02-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Slim Fast makes as much sense as anything else that's packed with calories and nutrients. If you need more then you need more, it doesn't really matter what you're getting it from.

AlbertW
02-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Im not totally sure about Slim Fast, but from what I remember, it is supposed to not have too many calories, and make you feel full. If you had room for a slim fast, it would probally be better spent by drinking a protein drink, or eating something else. The drinks are only 216 calories, and if you are trying to bulk up, you might want to choose a less filling, more calorie dense food.

TwiloMike
02-23-2006, 07:45 AM
I see. What about drinking Slim Fast with meals? It does make sense because Slim Fast is packed with calories and nutrients PLUS you're eating a good hefty meal with it.
You're proposing drinking Slim Fast while trying to Gain weight? Does anyone else think that this needs to be thought through a bit better?

Clifford Gillmore
02-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Drink a Risk shake. Contents in the shakes thread.

nzk
02-23-2006, 03:20 PM
what shakes thread? link please.
also what IS a good source of slow release proteins.
i cant stand tuna or cottage cheese though.
i usually just have a glass of milk before bed.

TechMetalMan
03-08-2006, 05:04 PM
You're proposing drinking Slim Fast while trying to Gain weight? Does anyone else think that this needs to be thought through a bit better?

No- for me it doesnt fill me at all like it is supposed to- so it gives good calories etc in a drink---simple for on the go or as a snack or whatever....just more food.

lifter4life
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Beware because when I eat directly before I goto sleep I wake up with a bad pain in my stomach and acid in my throat, it sucks. I usually just eat and then wait an hour then sleep, and I usually just eat 5-6 egg whites.

anth15
03-09-2006, 02:47 PM
muscle milk

TechMetalMan
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Beware because when I eat directly before I goto sleep I wake up with a bad pain in my stomach and acid in my throat, it sucks. I usually just eat and then wait an hour then sleep, and I usually just eat 5-6 egg whites.

I used to have the same problem- almost every night I would wake up with some form of acid burn in my esophogaus. This was even when I ate like 45 minutes before sleeping.

But it is gone now- I suppose my body has adjusted.

Spence
03-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Im not totally sure about Slim Fast, but from what I remember, it is supposed to not have too many calories, and make you feel full. If you had room for a slim fast, it would probally be better spent by drinking a protein drink, or eating something else. The drinks are only 216 calories, and if you are trying to bulk up, you might want to choose a less filling, more calorie dense food.

for those looking for a night shake try "Ensure HP" ... that's what I used and it worked great! It's a generic meal replacement drink and if you get the high-protein one it's not a bad source for a pre-sleep drink...also the fibre content (higher than slim-fast) helps with the digestion so it doesn't just break down too quickly... try Butter Pecan!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Most of your muscle tissue repair occurs in your sleep. You are also fasting for 7-8 hours during the night without food. So to keep the effects of catabolism down, eating a meal before you go to bed will be beneficial for muscle tissue repair.

Jordanbcool
03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
To the OP.

It CAN.

Most people consume their calories during the day but some people leave some open for a large meal just before bed. Personally i hate doing that because i always get nightmares if i eat earlier then two hours before bed...

I also get a nasty taste in my mouth, and bad gas.

-jordan

But basically, yes if you eat more then maintanence in a 24 hour period you will gain weight.

Slim Schaedle
03-09-2006, 09:31 PM
No.

The fact that slimfast has the word slim in it has nothing to do with the actual product's influence on losing or gaining weight. It is simply a name.

The name relates to the proposed plan/marketing that if the typical person substitutes their big meal(s) throughout the day for one of the little shakes, they will "slim" down.

Bottom line is that food is food and a calorie is a calorie no matter what you name it.

To the OP: Slim Fast will assist in meeting your caloric goals, but there are MUCH better options out there. You might as well just drink a dextrose/whey shake and down a multivitamin instead of shelling out the money for a product which is essentially the same thing.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Bottom line is that food is food and a calorie is a calorie no matter what you name it.:withstupi

brian136
03-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Eat more then maintence in a 24 hour period, and you will gain. Simple as that. .

i tend to disagree with this... i mean do you think your body really knows about time.. something that really has nothing to do with your body... you need to keep your body in an anabolic state.. so if you eat a excess of your maint. calories but you go 10 hours with out eating then your body will go catabolic and you will not gain wieght.. atleast not as well as you could if you spread it out.. eat more than you need and space it out every 2-3 hours at most...

say you eat your last meal 2 hours before you go to bed.. then you sleep for 7 hours.. thats 9 hours of no food... would you do that in the middle of the day??! no way.. so why would night be any different.. see my point

Jordanbcool
03-10-2006, 08:05 AM
i tend to disagree with this... i mean do you think your body really knows about time.. something that really has nothing to do with your body... you need to keep your body in an anabolic state.. so if you eat a excess of your maint. calories but you go 10 hours with out eating then your body will go catabolic and you will not gain wieght.. atleast not as well as you could if you spread it out.. eat more than you need and space it out every 2-3 hours at most...

say you eat your last meal 2 hours before you go to bed.. then you sleep for 7 hours.. thats 9 hours of no food... would you do that in the middle of the day??! no way.. so why would night be any different.. see my point

I would like to state that your metabolism does indeed slow while you sleep. Two reasons for this.

1) Your body is naturally preparing for sleep. As such you dont need constant nutrients as you will be idle the whole 8 hours. By this im not discussing growth, im talking about energy to go run a mile (this is why when you wake up your blood sugar levels are low because you havent eaten anything).
2) The actual fact that your inactive and not eating anything for such a long period of time slows your metabolism. This is why we are always told to never starve ourselves on a cut because it makes your body ineffeicent at burning calories.

-jordan

Maki Riddington
03-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Topic says it all. Is it? I usually just eat something small right before I got to bed, but I'm thinking about eating a huge meal right before I go to sleep to get bigger. I constantly hear people saying "just eat after 8 pm and you'll gain quick!" Are these people right or just really ignorant of the facts?

It can attribute towards weight gain. It depends on the current state of your metabolism.

brian136
03-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I would like to state that your metabolism does indeed slow while you sleep. Two reasons for this.

1) Your body is naturally preparing for sleep. As such you dont need constant nutrients as you will be idle the whole 8 hours. By this im not discussing growth, im talking about energy to go run a mile (this is why when you wake up your blood sugar levels are low because you havent eaten anything).
2) The actual fact that your inactive and not eating anything for such a long period of time slows your metabolism. This is why we are always told to never starve ourselves on a cut because it makes your body ineffeicent at burning calories.

-jordan

your metabolism does slow down.. however.. your body does not shut down.. like i stated..your body is contantly either anabolic or catabolic.. to gain weight efficiently you need to keep your body anabolic as much as possible.. when your body goes 6-8 hours at anytime (asleep or running miles) it will burn up calories you have consumed.. and once it does it will become catabolic.. its really very simple.. give you body calories to burn by eating and your body wont burn calories/fat/muscle off of itself or out of its reserves.

brickt.
03-11-2006, 01:06 AM

-jordan

Uh, you actually burn quite a lot of calories during sleep, considering that you're lying down, not moving.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Someone needs to do some research...

Jordanbcool
03-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Uh, you actually burn quite a lot of calories during sleep, considering that you're lying down, not moving.

Well yea, but compared to being awake?!

brickt.
03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Yep.

The calories burnt lying down, motionless, but awake, are less than is burnt whilst you're sleeping.

I also read/heard/made up that sleeping burns more calories than sitting watching TV.

Built
03-11-2006, 10:27 PM
The calories burnt lying down, motionless, but awake, are less than is burnt whilst you're sleeping.

Seriously. That's so cool!

<chews last meal of the day, brushes teeth, goes to bed>

Jordanbcool
03-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Yep.

I also read/heard/made up that sleeping burns more calories than sitting watching TV.

lol i like the "made up" part.

I'd say they burn about the same. While your watching TV you could easily be startled by a scary scene or loud noise. The same thing happens while you sleep. During REM sleep, most people have nightmares then "good" dreams. No one knows why this happens but it just does. Some people think its the bodies way of coping with stress.

Basic point. You have pretty much the same brain activity and reactions to both situations. That is if you have a bad dream or if your watching a scary movie. If your dreaming your relaxing on a beach somewhere the results will be different.

-jordan

P.S. This basic knowledge is from my psychology class :read: yay learning.....

P.P.S. BUILT they closed my health teachers thread :(

getfit is just jelous!!!!

getfit
03-12-2006, 08:24 AM
^ it was getting off topic,if you'd like to discuss your private life and private parts, whatever! do via pm.Thanks

Slim Schaedle
03-12-2006, 10:40 AM
I'd say they burn about the same.

Alright, wait a minute. What makes you qualified to speculate on the amount of energy the body uses in this circumstance?

Benji
03-12-2006, 11:37 AM
It's just another crap scientific statistic in the book. Half the time i don't believe any of it 'You burn more calories sleeping than led down awake!' all a load of boll0cks, they just like wasting tax payers money on this so called 'research' Totally of subject but well it's annoying :D
Personally i'd say it wouldn't burn more, who knows tho we are just given these 'facts' nothing backs it up. Anyway i eat during the day a lot and then on an evening just before i sleep!

Slim Schaedle
03-12-2006, 02:58 PM
It's just another crap scientific statistic in the book. Half the time i don't believe any of it 'You burn more calories sleeping than led down awake!' all a load of boll0cks, they just like wasting tax payers money on this so called 'research' Totally of subject but well it's annoying :D
Personally i'd say it wouldn't burn more, who knows tho we are just given these 'facts' nothing backs it up. Anyway i eat during the day a lot and then on an evening just before i sleep!
Care to point out exactly what study or research it is that you personally don't agree with?

Benji
03-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Useless stuff like how many calories you burn during sleep.. we all know it's going to be minimal, we all know walking, training etc burns calories why in gods name waste money on finding out how much we burn whilst sleeping, it's totally pointless and irrelevant, we know breathing in and out burns calories, why waste time, money on 'researching' how many calories we burn during sleep!

Slim Schaedle
03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Useless stuff like how many calories you burn during sleep.. we all know it's going to be minimal, we all know walking, training etc burns calories why in gods name waste money on finding out how much we burn whilst sleeping, it's totally pointless and irrelevant, we know breathing in and out burns calories, why waste time, money on 'researching' how many calories we burn during sleep!
Perhaps you are unaware of the many biosynthetic processes occuring during sleep that require a considerable amount of energy.

I will name one: protein synthesis

But I guess we don't need to be concerned about that.

Davidelmo
03-13-2006, 07:52 AM

what? :bang: :bang: :bang:

We spend ~40% of our life asleep... I'd say it's pretty damn important actually.

Jordanbcool
03-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Alright, wait a minute. What makes you qualified to speculate on the amount of energy the body uses in this circumstance?

What makes you qualified enough to question my speculation?

-jordan

P.S. I was just joking about my health teacher thread. It was getting pretty nasty...

Slim Schaedle
03-13-2006, 09:52 AM
What makes you qualified enough to question my speculation?
It's my job to study this stuff day in and day out, and I am smart enough to know that the logic you used comparing calories utilized while dreaming and seeing something scary on TV is a bunch of rubbish.

Jordanbcool
03-13-2006, 02:05 PM
It's my job to study this stuff day in and day out, and I am smart enough to know that the logic you used comparing calories utilized while dreaming and seeing something scary on TV is a bunch of rubbish.

Why? It seems to make sense to me. I asked my psychology teacher about brain activity and burning calories while sleeping. She said its possible, what i stated earlier. I just dont see why something like that wouldnt have a connection you know?

-jordan

Slim Schaedle
03-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Why? It seems to make sense to me. I asked my psychology teacher about brain activity and burning calories while sleeping. She said its possible, what i stated earlier. I just dont see why something like that wouldnt have a connection you know?
You're telling me that your psychology professor supported your opinion that the body utilizes the same amount of energy while sleeping as it does when at rest watching TV?

Your claim/opinion that the body uses more energy at rest, than duing sleep was based on one example involving brain activity in two circumstances relating to energy usage.

I am not questioning the specifics of your one example.

I am questioning your use of logic and understanding of human metabolism, energy usage, etc.

Jordanbcool
03-13-2006, 03:40 PM
You're telling me that your psychology professor supported your opinion that the body utilizes the same amount of energy while sleeping as it does when at rest watching TV?

Your claim/opinion that the body uses more energy at rest, than duing sleep was based on one example involving brain activity in two circumstances relating to energy usage.

I am not questioning the specifics of your one example.

I am questioning your use of logic and understanding of human metabolism, energy usage, etc.

Ok it sounds like your agreeing with me but then it dosent. Im no expert, but i just want to know whats flawed with what i was saying. I'd say this is the subject i know least about. I guess your saying that most of the time the calories you burn while sleeping dont work out that way??? Its an interesting topic, thats why i want to know. Anyways im late for work, i'll check back later tonight when i get off. Please explain in detail what your talking about.
Thanks.

-jordan

P.S. I guess what im trying to say, is that stress/excitement can affect how many calories are being used doing "resting" activities (watching a scary movie, having a nightmare etc.)

brian136
03-14-2006, 03:07 AM
Ok it sounds like your agreeing with me but then it dosent. Im no expert, but i just want to know whats flawed with what i was saying. I'd say this is the subject i know least about. I guess your saying that most of the time the calories you burn while sleeping dont work out that way??? Its an interesting topic, thats why i want to know. Anyways im late for work, i'll check back later tonight when i get off. Please explain in detail what your talking about.
Thanks.

-jordan

P.S. I guess what im trying to say, is that stress/excitement can affect how many calories are being used doing "resting" activities (watching a scary movie, having a nightmare etc.)

out of the many posts you have made i have yet to find one of them informative. you may want so stop posting so much of what you "think" "may" or "could possibly" be true... just because something sorta makes sense in your head does not make it a fact.. and the fact that another member cant prove you wrong doesnt mean you are correct by default.

not trying to be an ass or anything, but too many times in the last two weeks i have been reading what could be decent and informative posts only to have to read 4 or 5 of your pointless, and quite frankly ignorant, replies.

its getting old... insteadof always trying to have something to contribute i think you would make a much better learner... be the student... you suck at being the teacher

Jordanbcool
03-14-2006, 04:55 AM
out of the many posts you have made i have yet to find one of them informative. you may want so stop posting so much of what you "think" "may" or "could possibly" be true... just because something sorta makes sense in your head does not make it a fact.. and the fact that another member cant prove you wrong doesnt mean you are correct by default.

not trying to be an ass or anything, but too many times in the last two weeks i have been reading what could be decent and informative posts only to have to read 4 or 5 of your pointless, and quite frankly ignorant, replies.

its getting old... insteadof always trying to have something to contribute i think you would make a much better learner... be the student... you suck at being the teacher

ok DEEDER!

Why are you making such a big deal out of this? Its more of a personal question, so chill out. He has yet to respond to me so be more patient. No need to use the "i" word either.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=75679&highlight=flaxseed

I've made some good informative posts before like the one above. Read up my friend.

-jordan

P.S. Im not really questioning him, I'm questioning whats wrong with what i said. Not to challange him, but so i can learn more about it. My cut is coming up and the last thing i want to do is fail on it. I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I also like to post alot to help people/give a different perspective. I've been weight lifting for 3 years now but i didnt start actually doing it four days a week till a year ago. I've learned more in the past month (joining this forum) then i have in that whole year. I wish someone would've told me different information instead of all the different crap all over the media (atkins etc.), Im just trying to help. That being said i know alot in the weight room, and the basic knowledge of a bodybuilder. I just need to getting a better grasp on calories and how they are utilized. Hence this (long) post.

Slim Schaedle
03-14-2006, 08:33 AM
ok DEEDER!

Why are you making such a big deal out of this? Its more of a personal question, so chill out. He has yet to respond to me so be more patient. No need to use the "i" word either.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=75679&highlight=flaxseed

I've made some good informative posts before like the one above. Read up my friend.

-jordan

P.S. Im not really questioning him, I'm questioning whats wrong with what i said. Not to challange him, but so i can learn more about it. My cut is coming up and the last thing i want to do is fail on it. I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I also like to post alot to help people/give a different perspective. I've been weight lifting for 3 years now but i didnt start actually doing it four days a week till a year ago. I've learned more in the past month (joining this forum) then i have in that whole year. I wish someone would've told me different information instead of all the different crap all over the media (atkins etc.), Im just trying to help. That being said i know alot in the weight room, and the basic knowledge of a bodybuilder. I just need to getting a better grasp on calories and how they are utilized. Hence this (long) post.
Jordan, Brian has some very good points.

As far as proving you wrong, explaining this in great detail, or debating it further...I'm not going to do it because I have alot of other stuff taking priority right now.

My original point in posting what i did was to get accross to you exactly what Brian said, ...if you don't know the exact answer, don't say stuff like "I'd say" or pass stuff off as if you know the answer, when it is apparent you have a limited knowledge and understanding of human metabolism, nutrition, etc. etc.

I could write a book for you here on WBB but it would serve you better to research it yourself and then post more logical stuff.

ArchAngel777
03-14-2006, 10:30 AM
*Removed, pointless to bring up I suppose*

Jordanbcool
03-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Jordan, Brian has some very good points.

As far as proving you wrong, explaining this in great detail, or debating it further...I'm not going to do it because I have alot of other stuff taking priority right now.

My original point in posting what i did was to get accross to you exactly what Brian said, ...if you don't know the exact answer, don't say stuff like "I'd say" or pass stuff off as if you know the answer, when it is apparent you have a limited knowledge and understanding of human metabolism, nutrition, etc. etc.

I could write a book for you here on WBB but it would serve you better to research it yourself and then post more logical stuff.

Hey it made sense to me.

Just speculation i suppose:rolleyes:

-jordan

ddegroff
03-14-2006, 02:40 PM
My cut is coming up and the last thing i want to do is fail on it. I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

I wouldnt worry about the small things like how much energy your brain needs to think and how much you burn while being scared. I know it's interesting, but it just doesn't matter. Just worry about eating less and hitting the gym hard and you wont fail.

ShadyRensch
03-15-2006, 05:03 PM
My ? is the opposite, I've heard both opinions on taking a protein shake before bed on a cut even. I just mix the protein and water. Is this good, or is it meant only for bulks?

silentdragonx
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
protein+ water is for people trying to avoid extra calories. If you want to gain weight then mix the protein w/ milk.

Slim Schaedle
03-15-2006, 05:45 PM
protein+ water is for people trying to avoid extra calories. If you want to gain weight then mix the protein w/ milk.
Or you could have the protein in water and just make sure you are eating above maintenance.

Jordanbcool
03-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Milk always makes them taste so much better. Make them fit into your macros and you'll be good.

-jordan