PDA

View Full Version : another peanut butter question

halestorm6
02-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Is it possible to eat too much peanut butter? My mom is a nurse and she seems to think eating too much will clog my arteries... granted I am eating skippy right now so that might be true... I was wondering if eating too much natural peanut butter could do the same. Let's say 50 scoops a day, that's 4,000 plus calories a day and about 170 grams of protein going off of the nutrition label of skippy.

getfit
02-20-2006, 11:25 AM
wow and i thought i ate alot of pb.

Don't look at pb as a protein source more fat then anything else

halestorm6
02-20-2006, 11:40 AM
so what do you think then? is 50 too much? it just works out perfectly because of my money situation I can't spend a lot on tons of different stuff, and I just used the last of my protein supplement and I have no money to go and buy more. I eat 3-4 meals a day on top of the peanut butter, I just wanna know if I'm overdoing it.

getfit
02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
what excactly do you eat?

protein: eggs,chicken,tuna,cottage cheese,lean beef etc...

ShockBoxer
02-20-2006, 11:57 AM
You are overdoing it, in my opinion. Just because PB is high is GOOD fats doesn't mean that it's saturated fat isn't a factor.

halestorm6
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM
cereal in the morning then peanut butter on the way to work, i can probably get like 15 tbsp, then after two hours at work i get a 15 minute break and I try to eat as much peanut butter then as well, then at lunch I'll try to get a sandwich at quiznos but usually I end up going to in n out which is right next to where i work muahaha, then at my second two hour break more peanut butter or the other half of my sandwich, then peanut butter the whole way home... then whatever is for dinner, could be chicken, a turkey sandwich, a can of chili, steak, frozen burritos or frozen pizza... i dont have a lot to work with that's why I have to resort to the frozen burritos or pizza, for the most part i keep that stuff in moderation... peanut butter makes it easy, I can triple how much I would normally eat in a day just by all the peanut butter I eat

Wild Cat McCane
02-20-2006, 02:44 PM
this is a joke right? Fat man, the fat.

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Skippy is soooooooooooooooo awful for you! Wow thats alot of hydrogenated fat from skippy! Yeah go with the natural PB and i wouldnt eat more than 200 cals from Natty PB a day...no science to back that up tho.

MJS
02-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Wait. Please don't tell me you are getting all of your daily intake as PB. That's just gross. You need balance. No one food has it all. Mix and match and get results.

Shao-LiN
02-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Skippy is soooooooooooooooo awful for you! Wow thats alot of hydrogenated fat from skippy! Yeah go with the natural PB and i wouldnt eat more than 200 cals from Natty PB a day...no science to back that up tho.

Where'd you pull that magical number from? 200 calories from peanut butter is like 1-1.5 servings or something.

brickt.
02-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Skippy is soooooooooooooooo awful for you! Wow thats alot of hydrogenated fat from skippy!

I live in Aus, and we don't have Skippy, but from what I've heard, the trans fat in commercial pb is utimately negligible...

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Where'd you pull that magical number from? 200 calories from peanut butter is like 1-1.5 servings or something.
Thats why i said theres no science behind what I said... lol i pulled that number from my ass. But, if you are eating a **** load of BP everyday you gota be missing out on some other very important things:confused:

DumbDude
02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I live in Aus, and we don't have Skippy, but from what I've heard, the trans fat in commercial pb is utimately negligible...
I thought there was alot of transfat in Skippy maybe i was thinking of awhile ago.....thought there used to be more.

Good call brickt:

By U.S. FDA definition, Skippy peanut butter is a trans-fat free food.

Most commercial peanut butters contain small amounts (typically less than 2%) of a partially hydrogenated fat, which prevents oil separation by helping the peanut butter "set up" a fat structure. This partially hydrogenated fat is almost totally saturated and contains only an insignificant trace amount of trans fats.

halestorm6
02-21-2006, 01:34 PM
people people... I never said I just eat peanut butter... hahaHAHAHAH... I actually eat about 30 scoops a day on top of 3-4 other meals, when I can afford a protein supplement ill eat less, but for right now it's convenient for breaks at work because I would normally not take a break at work and wait 4 hours until lunch in which I case I would be starving, now I eat 10 scoops of peanut butter on my break and It's perfect... I think i've gained 2 lbs in a week, and I usually have a really hard time gaining weight because I can never make myself eat 4,000 + calories a day, now I can do that easily...

ArchAngel777
02-21-2006, 01:51 PM
people people... I never said I just eat peanut butter... hahaHAHAHAH... I actually eat about 30 scoops a day on top of 3-4 other meals, when I can afford a protein supplement ill eat less, but for right now it's convenient for breaks at work because I would normally not take a break at work and wait 4 hours until lunch in which I case I would be starving, now I eat 10 scoops of peanut butter on my break and It's perfect... I think i've gained 2 lbs in a week, and I usually have a really hard time gaining weight because I can never make myself eat 4,000 + calories a day, now I can do that easily...

If I wanted to bulk, I certainly wouldn't be using Peanut Butter for the main source of my calories. In general you want to eat foods that cause you to be hungry all the time when on a bulk. So that would be carbs... Of course I am not saying eat all carbs, just high carb on a bulk. That way you become more hungry, generally speaking. Peanut butter is great stuff, but if I ate even 3 scoups of it on a regular basis I would probably puke it out and never want to eat it again. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing, especially in this case.

halestorm6
02-21-2006, 01:55 PM
well I can eat 30 and still come back the next day and eat more, and the funny thing is since I've been eating it I've been wanting to eat more food... it's like it fills me up but it makes me crave something else... like meat or something, if you take the peanut butter out of my diet right now I eat more than I did before I was eating all the peanut butter... its magic or something

mikey4402
02-22-2006, 09:56 AM
how do you eat all of that. you have to chase it with some milk or water or something. cuz i know one spoon full makes it hard to breath for me haha.

halestorm6
02-22-2006, 06:53 PM
yes, the same spoon all day... I just bought natural peanut butter, and I gotta say theres no way I can eat as much of this than skippy... on a good note I just weighed myself and I weigh 2 more lbs than I ever have, I broke 170 for the first time ever... granted it might be all fat. How can I track if I'm gaining fat or muscle? a body fat % test I assume, how often though?

eatit
02-22-2006, 09:05 PM
you're gaining both. To gain one you must, at least to some degree, be gaining the other.

BF % will work but they are iffy at best especially if each reading is not done with the same technique. Going with the mirror + strength gains is a pretty decent measure and probably all you really need.

Chiznarles
02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
dude, 50 scoops of PB a day is nuts.. i think all the weight you are gaining is just fat.. i can't imagine the P/C/F ratio you're getting..

halestorm6
02-23-2006, 01:16 PM
let me clear it up it's not 50, its more like 30-35... when I posted I had gotten excited because I calculated how many calories 50 scoops was so I put that to see what everyone would say. If I eat 30 scoops thats 255 grams of fat... I eat a gram of protein per body weight which is about 169-170... anyways I'll start keeping a log of my weight, my strength and some pictures.

eatit
02-23-2006, 01:54 PM
i say: go for it. Create the peanut butter diet. Start training and keep a log. I'd love to watch exactly what happens when someone eats nothing but peanut butter all day. (just make sure you take those multivitamins).

Davidelmo
02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Bah, the ratio doesn't matter that much. Fats dont make you fat.

As long as halestorm is lifting right then I don't think all the weight he's gained will be fat. You're getting enough calories to gain weight and enough protein to put on muscle. I don't see that much of a problem.

I can't imagine that 30-35 scoops is good for you... you'll need vitamin supplements at least if you're living off PB.

ShockBoxer
02-23-2006, 02:51 PM
i say: go for it. Create the peanut butter diet. Start training and keep a log. I'd love to watch exactly what happens when someone eats nothing but peanut butter all day. (just make sure you take those multivitamins).

He is too late to invent it (well, there's other foods besides PB in this diet of course...)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=126651&page=1

halestorm6
03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I haven't gained a lb. since the last time I posted on 2/23 IM PISSSSSSSSED... I have noticed I have been able to lift more weight lately though... I don't keep complete track but I'd say I eat close to 6000 calories a day and at least 1 gram of protein per body weight.