PDA

View Full Version : trying to lose some weight..help needed..

teeblair30
01-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone... I am 30 years old.. 5.7 200lbs.. i would like to get my bodyweight down to 160/165,,, i workout a couple times a week but need to get into a steady routine. i was thinking of weights on m/w/f and cardio on t/r/sat. with sunday being a rest day.. my cardio consists of 1 hour on the treadmill...i need a idea of what foods to consume and give me some ideas... my hours at work are 2 30 til 11pm so i have weird hours.. i also get hungry when i get home at night but realize its not a good idea to eat before bed...please help..thanks

KRayZieDoGG
01-13-2002, 02:58 AM
few general things that might help...

cutting down on carbs later in the day is good if you dont need extra energy for anything, and try to avoid sugar carbs as much as possible since they are stored as fat the fastest (high GI). try to get carbs from oats, wheats, veggies, etc

ever thought about an ECA stack like Xenadrine or Hydroxycut (ephidrine, caffeine, aspirin +)? most people see very good results with those, just make sure you dont use it more then a month or so at a time, cycle off at least as much time as you spend cycled on. these will get you hyper by raising your heart rate and metabolism so be careful not to take too much. almost like a legal version of speed

to maximize cardio sessions, i usually hear that you should run first thing after you wake up before having any food. supposedly, your body will have to burn fat for energy since you havent had anything to eat yet, and it should jump-start your metabolism for the rest of the day.

and make sure to keep hitting the weights to minimize muscle loss, anytime you lose a lot of weight, a lot of it is going to be muscle. working out and having muscle grow will keep the loss in check

eat lots of protein and cut back on carbs and fat, get *at least* 100g carbs (or more) unless you dont mind feeling like crap all day, and at least 35g of fat (or more), and try to stay away from saturated fat completely if you can

for carbohydrates: veggies are good, oatmeal, wheat bread, oat/wheat cereals, etc

for protein: chicken meat, fish (canned tuna's easy), lean cuts of beef and pork, etc. just cut off the fat/skin

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-13-2002, 06:27 AM
40lbs is a lot, so be prepared to be following a calorie restricted diet for a while [about 6 months if you're preserving muscle too]

60 minutes of cardio at a time is too much man. what's your cardiovascular conditioning like? do you think you can manage HIIT? if not, reduce your jog/run to 20-30 minutes at a time.

eating before bed isn't totally bad. some protein and fat can actually a good idea. Infact, if you train late in the day carbs before bed aren't bad either [within reason], cause your body will soak them up nicely.

are you actually planning on calculating calories and what not? or just 'cleaning' up what you current intake?

'clean' foods:

protein: skinless chicken breast, turkey breast, fish, eggs.

carbs [in your case of dieting]: oatmeal, sweet potato, brown/whole grain rice, certain fruit (but restrict these to a moderate amount each day.)
fat: flax, perilla, olive oils, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts etc..

KRayZieDoGG
01-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

'clean' foods:

protein: skinless chicken breast, turkey breast, fish, eggs.

carbs [in your case of dieting]: oatmeal, sweet potato, brown/whole grain rice, certain fruit (but restrict these to a moderate amount each day.)
fat: flax, perilla, olive oils, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts etc..

would eating good fats be a good idea? i mean, im taking flax oil, and eating my peanut butter and using olive oil to cook with, but if someone is trying to lose that much weight, i wouldnt add too much fat to your diet (saturated or not) just for the sake of adding them unless fat consumption was very low (under 30g), just make sure the fat you do get is by far poly/mono-unsaturated

and i didnt know sweet potatoes were good, hmm, maybe i should start trying some

and be sure to minimize the amount of egg yolks you eat. i think that each yolk has about 50% of your recommended daily value of cholesterol by itself

mattkush77
01-20-2002, 10:19 PM
KRAYZIEDOG talked about sugar carbs,
what are sugar carbs?????
and is it ok to cycle xenadrine with hydroxycut, or what could you cycle with hydroxycut???

KRayZieDoGG
01-21-2002, 12:26 PM
xenadrine and hydroxycut are pretty much the same thing (ECA stacks (ephidrine/caffeine/aspirin)) so cycling one on when you go off the other is pointless

you can try something with gugglesterones but those dont work as good as xen/hydroxy or any other eca stack, but if you want as much drug help it might help a bit

i used Prolab's Metabolic Thyrolean and dont know if it helped or not. i did lose fat, just might have had more to do with diet/excercise

and sugar carbs are just a common form of simple carbs, like on the nutritional label itll say something like
Carbohydrates 19g
-Fiber 1g
-Sugars - 6g
-Other Carbohydrates 12g

they are stored as fat the fastest, while many other carbohydrates (oats/wheat/etc) can be gradually burned off as energy by your body since it has to convert them to be used before using them.

do a search on "Low GI" or "glycemic index" (sp?) to see a general rating of what carbs might be better then others, indirectly - the lower the GI less it tends to be stored as fat (details of why can be found by searching, my post's too long already)

just dont give up on losing weight if you really want to lose it, i lost over 80lbs over the last year with dieting/lifting/cardio/eca altogether
i was posting my progress every now and then at the off-topic.net fitness board

http://forums.off-topic.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5134

and im about 10+lbs MUSCLE-heavier then my last post there now and can lift about 30% more then my last post there on each lift i mentioned, havent been working on losing fat as much though as i have been on getting stronger

just mentioning that to maybe help ya keep going